monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

revelette1

Sun 7 May, 2017 06:24 am
On the subject of Colbert and the FCC (I know we moved on, but it was discussed a lot yesterday..), I don't think he can be sanctioned as his show is after hours.

Quote:
However, the law — at least as it is currently written — would appear to be Colbert's side.

The Late Show, which comes on at 11:30 ET/PT, airs outside of what is called the "safe harbor" hours of 6 a.m. and 10 p.m., local time, at which point children could be watching TV. Plus, because his show is taped, the editors were able to bleep out the offensive language before broadcast.

"As a consequence, the Commission does not take action on indecent material (meaning sexually explicit or excretory content) aired between 10 p.m. and 6:00 a.m," the FCC website says. "In this way, constitutionally-protected free speech rights of adults are balanced with the need to protect children from harmful content."

Pai added that should his agency decide to penalize Colbert and CBS, it would likely be limited to a fine.

USA Today
blatham

Sun 7 May, 2017 07:13 am
I expect everyone knows that the Macron campaign got hacked. As in the US, the far right candidate's campaign was not the target.
blatham

Sun 7 May, 2017 07:28 am
Stephen Fry goes politically incorrect and gets investigated for blasphemy
Quote:
While being interviewed on The Meaning of Life TV programme, Fry was asked what he would say to God if he had a chance.

“I’d say ‘Bone cancer in children, what’s that about?’ How dare you create a world in which there is such misery that is not our fault,” Fry replied. “It’s not right. It’s utterly, utterly evil. Why should I respect a capricious, mean-minded, stupid god who creates a world which is so full of injustice and pain?”
Guardian
giujohn

Sun 7 May, 2017 08:16 am
@MontereyJack,
"Simple" facts for simpletons.
0 Replies

giujohn

Sun 7 May, 2017 08:39 am
@MontereyJack,
So you think premiums increasing over 100% deductibles of $12000 and no choice of companies or no companies who will offer coverage at all means here's to my good health? Don't be such a clueless cheese head.

"You can keep your doctor, you can keep your plan, your premiums and deductable will go down."

Just like: "The check is in the mail, black is beautiful and I promise I won't cum in your mouth."
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 7 May, 2017 08:50 am
Quote:
Blake Hounshell‏Verified account @blakehounshell 4h4 hours ago Golf writer: Eric Trump told me, "We don’t rely on American banks. We have all the funding we need out of Russia."
link here
0 Replies

jcboy

Sun 7 May, 2017 09:00 am
Well Trump supporters your pretty much screwed too, basically everyone is pre-existing and would be screwed, and I bet you still support the bastard because we had a black president and the racist want everything Obama done erased. Including peoples lives. DISGUSTING!

Pre-existing conditions: Pregnancy, sleep apnea could make you pay more

Quote:
Millions of Americans are uncertain about their future as a new health care bill heads to the Senate.

The American Health Care Act would shake things up. It could open the door for insurers to charge sick people and pregnant women much higher premiums.

Under Obamacare, all insurers are required to charge everyone the same premium, despite their medical history. This new version of the bill would weaken protections for those with pre-existing conditions.

http://sharing.abcactionnews.com/sharescnn/photo/2017/05/04/2017-05-04-health-care-gop-crop_1493922899496_59121334_ver1.0_640_480.jpg
Finn dAbuzz

Sun 7 May, 2017 10:29 am
@revelette1,
I hope he's not sanctioned.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Sun 7 May, 2017 10:35 am
@blatham,
Just like Geert Wilders.

It's dangerous nonsense in both cases.
Finn dAbuzz

Sun 7 May, 2017 10:36 am
@jcboy,
Where's max, A2K's liberal cop when you need him?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Sun 7 May, 2017 10:44 am
@MontereyJack,
all those headlines about the failed experiment that was America seem to be coming true

quite a shame but maybe not a surprise
reasoning logic

Sun 7 May, 2017 10:50 am
@jcboy,
Quote:
I bet you still support the bastard because we had a black president and the racist want everything Obama done erased.

Do you think it's something they are learning at church or fox news?

0 Replies

revelette1

Sun 7 May, 2017 11:30 am
@blatham,
I hope not counting chickens too soon, but, so far, Macron is doing very well.

French election results: Emmanuel Macron 'wins 60 per cent of vote,' exit polls suggest, with verdict expected at 7pm BST (The Telegraph)
revelette1

Sun 7 May, 2017 11:32 am
@ehBeth,
Oh, well, the world so far has not ended, unless it does, then there is a chance of turning this era in the US around at some point. Most likely the coming generation.
Below viewing threshold (view)
glitterbag

Sun 7 May, 2017 12:45 pm
@revelette1,
Just in: Macron beats Le Pen for French Presidency. I can stop holding my breath, thank you France.
Below viewing threshold (view)
ossobucotemp

Sun 7 May, 2017 01:08 pm
@blatham,
Gee, I haven't heard the word blasphemy in years and years. I guess I'm lucky.
ossobucotemp

Sun 7 May, 2017 01:11 pm
@revelette1,
also to Glitterbag..
YES!!
I'm happy for France today. Um. It's tonight there now.
I gather there will be a celebration at the Louvre..
Macron is probably already well guarded.. sigh.

It reminds me of an olden book, The Way of the World, which I haven't read in nearly forever. I don't remember the actual gist of it, but it's also true that power brings need for safety, in our own time's way of the world.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Sun 7 May, 2017 01:12 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Yeah, I guess we can look forward to hearing about heretics next.