monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

gungasnake

Fri 5 May, 2017 11:03 pm
Government health care...

https://scontent-dft4-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/18268569_10211282834245556_8543479126718322607_n.jpg?oh=c970ce66508beb8c4bdb96a83fc329a7&oe=597B3DD4
MontereyJack

Fri 5 May, 2017 11:25 pm
@gungasnake,
Every developed country in the world except the US has some version of single-payer government-run health care. Every single one of them has better health care metrics than the US. Every single one of them heas greater life expectancies than the US. Every single one of them insures everybody. Every sibgle one of them costs around half of what the US costs per capita to insure them. Donald Trump wrote that single-payer was a better system of health care. Then he ran for president and all of a sudden it was anathema to him because conservatives, driven by ideology, not facts, hate it. Donbald Trump two days ago, told the Australian PM that Australia's single-payer system was superior to the US system. My Aussie sister loves Australia's health care system, and she's seen both. You lose, snaKKKe.
MontereyJack

Fri 5 May, 2017 11:33 pm
@MontereyJack,
"Trump's forbidden love: Single-payer health care" Miami Herald
http://www.miamiherald.com/news/politics-government/article148829429.html
".
0 Replies

revelette1

Sat 6 May, 2017 06:49 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Actually the gorilla reference is worse because it is stereotype of racism. The other while I personally find it offensive, has kind of been accepted by comedians for some time. However, the FCC is looking into it and I personally will have no problem if he is made to pay a fine or whatever it is they have to do in those situations.
hightor

Sat 6 May, 2017 07:02 am
@revelette1,
Quote:
Actually the gorilla reference is worse because it is stereotype of racism.

I thought this would have been obvious. There's a big difference between calling a black guy a "monkey" and using the same term for a white guy.

The idea that anyone would be shocked at what passes for political commentary these days is hard to understand. Blatham compiled a bunch of comments made about the Obamas (post # 6,418,838) and I don't remember that there was any "extreme MORAL OUTRAGE immediately streaming from the left, with charges of racism, homophobia, and moral degeneracy." It was chalked off as standard political procedure.

Now, if a guy mocked someone with a physical disability, that would be different.
jcboy

Sat 6 May, 2017 09:46 am
Looks about right!

http://oi65.tinypic.com/2e1hmw3.jpg
0 Replies

jcboy

Sat 6 May, 2017 09:48 am
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

This guy is the gift that just keeps giving and giving.

He's like herpes or any other STD (which are preexisting conditions,and not covered)
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Sat 6 May, 2017 09:51 am
@blatham,
All examples of deplorable behavior, and if I was in an audience when such comments were made, I certainly would not have laughed and cheered, and more than likely would have left.

Now what do you think of Colbert's comments?
Finn dAbuzz

Sat 6 May, 2017 09:59 am
@revelette1,
I really don't care very much about what Colbert or any other comedian says about Trump. We crossed the rubicon into a coarse culture some time ago.

Trump is a perfect example of that fact.

My only issue is the hypocrisy evident in people laughing and cheering such a comments who quite probably felt that criticism of Obama was thinly veiled racism.
Finn dAbuzz

Sat 6 May, 2017 10:00 am
@hightor,
Our recollections are quite different.
oralloy

Sat 6 May, 2017 10:21 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
Every developed country in the world except the US has some version of single-payer government-run health care.

Wrong. Only a handful do. The vast majority use other systems.

Liberals just have odd delusions that make them refer to all sorts of disparate systems as single payer.
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 6 May, 2017 10:28 am
@revelette1,
As Eric Boehlert notes, there are currently some 6,500 indecency complaints on backlog at FCC. Isolating this particular one and bringing it to the front of the line is not in any sense standard as operating procedure and has an obvious motivation.
0 Replies

hightor

Sat 6 May, 2017 10:53 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
Our recollections are quite different.

Possibly might have to do with what we read. I don't know if people on this forum reacted with "extreme moral outrage" but I don't remember the MSM doing much more than reporting the stories. The juvenile racism of the insults was practically self-indicting; just another case of self-styled "conservatives" showing their true colors, move along.

I didn't find Colbert's comments humorous at all — but I wouldn't have even known about them if I hadn't seen this thread. The insult was not clever, nor did it accurately portray the relationship between the two leaders. If people laughed and cheered it was probably just a reaction to the shock at the level of crudity employed. I'll bet many on the right laughed similarly at the insults to Obama, not because they thought them were funny but because "you're not supposed to say that!" As in Bergson's "laughter is the mind sneezing".
0 Replies

revelette1

Sat 6 May, 2017 11:03 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Have you made a note of who laughed and do you know if they complained when racist jokes were made to the Obamas? I barely paid attention to the whole dust up. (Too busy watching the news during those days over the health care repeal thing.) I just don't consider vulgar or coarse jokes on the same wavelength as racist jokes or jokes/comments about people with disabilities or poor people or the folks who died in the hi-jacked plane on 9/11.

Fox News Guest Criticizes 9/11 Hijacking Victims: “They Did Not Act As Freethinking Individuals” (MM)
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 6 May, 2017 11:14 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
All examples of deplorable behavior, and if I was in an audience when such comments were made, I certainly would not have laughed and cheered, and more than likely would have left.
Now what do you think of Colbert's comments?

Then, your moral standards and behavior would be the opposite of Limbaugh's when he laughed at the Obama as Curious George-monkey reference? You would have walked out of the concert where Ted Nugent said he told Obama to "suck on my machine gun"? OK. (And let's just note here that the collection of Obamas as monkeys references in right wing media or from right wing politicos took me less than ten minutes of searching. There are many, many more which is not even to mention the illustrations and photoshopped images). And as noted by rev, when a white person is likened to a gorilla (etc), the meanings conveyed are very much different than when the subject is black (you know this history).

Colbert said two things in that monologue: "gorilla" and "Putin's cock-holster". In absence of the racist component, "gorilla" is of no importance (proviso below). How is it different from "snowflake" or "cheese-eater".

As to "Putin's cock-holster"... the word "cock" was bleeped. If you've ever watched Survivor (or most any late night tv talk show or even awards shows) that word and others in the same category are frequently used and bleeped (or sometimes not bleeped). I don't think Colbert has used that word before but many others have so there's no reasonable argument here that Colbert has violated some inviolable contemporary tv norm.

Tying in Putin in that way? Just type "Obama is Putin's bitch" or some such phrase into google and see what comes up. It's a rich harvest.

So, no, I'm entirely unbothered by Colbert's words because of the modern context in which they sit. And I'm even less bothered with Trump, particularly, as the subject. Any moral failing on Colbert's part in saying those words is far less egregious than Trump's boast about grabbing women's pussies (which he surely did do). Likewise, the moral failing is far greater in Trump's supporters (knowing this) than in Colbert's supporters laughing.

Proviso: one might make an argument here as regards "respect for the office". But for that argument to carry any weight at all in respect to Colbert's five seconds of dialogue, one would have to completely erase from memory literally millions of instances of crude and disrepectful commentary coming out of the modern right wing universe in descriptions of Dems in office including the WH.

jcboy

Sat 6 May, 2017 11:21 am
The Trump Administration must be laughing AT their voters rather than with them at this point. This is a lunatic. If he really has Press Credentials it is a joke.

0 Replies

blatham

Sat 6 May, 2017 11:22 am
Interview at Salon with Jay Rosen. Must read.
Quote:
On Trump’s 100th day in office, you tweeted a series of comments exploring how the press’s use of conventional everyday language misrepresents the abnormal reality of Trump’s presidency. I’d like to start by asking you about two specific examples you cited in your thread, and what they reveal about the press’s assumptions that drive coverage of Trump’s behavior. The first was calling the page of bullet points his “plan,” his “tax plan.” What’s wrong with that?

Quote:
A plan requires planning, deliberation, thought, a certain amount of commitment. There’s nothing in Trump’s behavior in office so far, or in any of the reporting around how that document was produced, that supports that term. It was something that was rushed; it had nothing to do with the process of deliberation. It reflected his desire to claim some flurry of action as the 100-day marker approached. And even after this so-called plan was announced, crucial aspects of what he thinks is going to be his tax proposal were talked about later. So on the [following] weekend, for example, [White House chief of staff] Reince Priebus talked about including something about carried interest — I don’t know if you know what that is, but it’s a huge deal. That wasn’t even in there. So that is not a plan. It’s just an improvised sketch responding to an impulsive demand from an overgrown child who happens to be president of the United States.

What about the second example you gave, “PBS NewsHour” announcing a look back at Trump’s “foreign policy accomplishments and setbacks”?

Quote:
I think that’s a very routine phrase — “foreign policy” — but it contains an assumption, which is that he has a policy. I think we have a lot of evidence that there are no policies, because the ease and rapidity with which he overturns what he said was his policy, and the light and transient causes of the reversals — like a 10-minute discussion with the Chinese president, or something he saw on television — shows you that they weren’t really policies in the first place. So to say he has policies is misleading. He has reactions to things, and when new things happen he’ll have different reactions. There’s almost nothing — especially in the international sphere — that isn’t instantly revisable. To me, a policy reflects a certain amount of knowledge, it reflects deliberation and some kind of conviction. Even though people change their policies, when they’re really policies they change them reluctantly. That doesn’t fit the facts. That’s not how he operates.
Salon - much more here
0 Replies

layman

Sat 6 May, 2017 11:49 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Blatham compiled a bunch of comments made about the Obamas (post # 6,418,838) and I don't remember that there was any "extreme MORAL OUTRAGE immediately streaming from the left, with charges of racism, homophobia, and moral degeneracy."

Ohhhh, Blabby compiled a "list," eh?

Got one in there where some prominent media figure called him a brain-damaged gorilla who sucks cocks on national TV, eh?

I didn't think so.
izzythepush

Sat 6 May, 2017 11:55 am
@blatham,
I think this tweet says it all.

https://ichef-1.bbci.co.uk/news/624/cpsprodpb/6494/production/_95884752_55e35258-c9e1-4858-9fec-2f7969000013.jpg

Loads of faux outrage from a bunch of bigots who couldn't give a monkey's about LGBT rights.
hightor

Sat 6 May, 2017 12:15 pm
@layman,
Quote:
Got one in there where some prominent media figure called him a brain-damaged gorilla who sucks cocks on national TV, eh?

No, but you can find plenty of stuff just as bad. Who gives a ****? Just because I wouldn't speak that way myself doesn't mean that no one else can. As Beckett said,
Quote:
"Why indict words? They're no shoddier than the ideas they peddle."