monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

izzythepush

Fri 5 May, 2017 12:37 pm
Quote:
A member of the US military has been killed in Somalia, the first confirmed US combat death there since the 1993 disastrous Black Hawk Down incident.

This happened on Thursday during operations against al-Shabab militants about 64km (40 miles) west of the capital Mogadishu, near the town of Barii, the US military says.

Two other US service members were hurt.

US forces were on an "advise and assist" mission with the Somali National Army, the US military says.

American presidents have been wary of intervention in Somalia since 18 special forces soldiers died fighting militias in Mogadishu in 1993, a battle dramatised in the film Black Hawk Down.

However, President Donald Trump has expanded military action against the al-Qaeda affiliate in the Horn of Africa nation.

US Africa Command spokeswoman Robyn Mack said the American "service member" had been struck by small arms fire.

Two other members of the US military wounded in the same incident were receiving "proper medical attention", she added.

A US official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said a US Navy Seal had been killed, Reuters news agency reports.

In Thursday's mission, US troops were hunting an al-Shabab commander near the Shabelle river, the news agency reports.

In March, Mr Trump approved a Pentagon plan to escalate operations against al-Shabab, including additional air strikes.

Last month, dozens of American soldiers were deployed to Mogadishu to train and equip Somali and African Union troops.

It was the first time regular US troops had been sent to Somalia since 1994, though some counter-terrorism advisers were already there.

Analysts say the soldier killed on Thursday would not have been one of the soldiers recently sent to Somalia.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-39818741
0 Replies

layman

Fri 5 May, 2017 12:43 pm
Typical hypocrisy from the cheese-eating lefties, eh? Would they be "cheering uproariously" if Rush Limbaugh had said this about Obama, ya figure?

Quote:
‘I would do it again’: Stephen Colbert stands by his vulgar comments about Donald Trump

Colbert criticized the president during Monday’s monologue and said, “Sir,... you talk like a sign language gorilla who got hit in the head. In fact, the only thing your mouth is good for is being Vladimir Putin’s cock holster.”

Addressing Monday’s monologue during Wednesday’s broadcast of his late-night show, Colbert admitted that he didn’t regret of the comments he made about the president. “I don’t regret that,” he said, to uproarious cheers from the studio audience."

http://www.theblaze.com/news/2017/05/04/i-would-do-it-again-stephen-colbert-stands-by-his-vulgar-comments-about-donald-trump/
Finn dAbuzz

Fri 5 May, 2017 12:46 pm
@layman,
The guy makes a living on popular approval. He will always pander to his audience.
layman

Fri 5 May, 2017 12:55 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Of course, Finn. Pandering to the worst human tendencies is the stock-in-trade of "comedians" of Colbert's ilk.

My point was not about Colbert, but about the cynical hypocrites he was pandering to.

Suppose someone in the media said Obama talked like a gorilla and called him a **********?
NSFW (view)
blatham

Fri 5 May, 2017 01:35 pm
@revelette1,
Quote:
Trump praises Australia's universal health care after Obamacare repeal(CNN)

That was absolutely ******* hilarious.
blatham

Fri 5 May, 2017 01:49 pm
Quote:
"The framework for a deal began when Pence doggedly worked the phones and scheduled meetings to explain the provision [allowing states to opt out of Obamacare rules] to outside groups," said Tim Phillips, who leads Americans for Prosperity, the Koch brothers-backed group. "It needed to be someone really credible since there was no language, and that was him."
If you wanted to know how deeply the Koch crowd is enmeshed at the top of the GOP now.

And in a phone call between Fred Upton and Trump...
Quote:
Trump did not want to talk about the merits of the legislation — he didn’t care much about those specifics, senior officials said. What mattered to him was how a failed vote would hobble his presidency and the ability to get other legislation through Congress. He wanted a win.
Politico
And that's if you wanted to get some grasp of how Trump has near zero concerns for policy and how he is completely concerned with image in the most superficial ways.

As of this morning, the Cook Report has shifted 20 GOP held seats to Dems.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Fri 5 May, 2017 02:43 pm
https://scontent-dft4-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/18221890_10210581764798534_6967612998398421914_n.jpg?oh=d36c5d8f5e4c87e6486222b9470a5c4e&oe=597FE10D
0 Replies

NSFW (view)
gungasnake

Fri 5 May, 2017 02:46 pm
Somewhere in this world there may actually be a gorilla who can speak coherently without a teleprompter in front of him....
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Fri 5 May, 2017 04:33 pm
@layman,
Too true, but this is the double standard environment in which we live.

When one points it out, there are far too few on the left who will acknowledge because don't you know, Trump is like a gorilla.
blatham

Fri 5 May, 2017 04:38 pm
Nominations in Trump whacko-land news
Quote:
President Trump's now-former pick for Army secretary once said government-assisted healthcare is an "injustice" because it hampers church-affiliated providers from converting people to Christianity.

Mark Green, a state senator in Tennessee, told a church group in 2015 that sickness is one of the main avenues that bring people to religion, but that citizens in the United States now instead rely on the government to help them, limiting the Christian church's role.
WashEx

Quote:
In 2015, Green spoke at a church in Tennessee and gave some advice to attendees about how to avoid the “downward spiral” away from God that Hussein fell victim to: stop looking at Victoria’s Secret catalogues.

“In 1st Timothy, Paul tells Timothy, ‘Guard your conscience, because if you don’t, it will result in the destruction of your faith.’ ... It will take you down that spiral of Romans 1. It will take you down the spiral that Saddam Hussein wound up thinking he was God,” Green said.

“That’s the process of how you get to Saddam Hussein, is you take one little step away from the truth,” he continued. “You break your conscience just a little bit. You walk away and you look at that Victoria’s Secrets [sic] catalogue when you know you probably shouldn’t. And it’s one step away from God, and it’s one step closer to Saddam Hussein.”
HP
Also a Creationist who thinks transgender is a "disease". So, all in all, a top level fruitcake. Good work, Trump team.
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Fri 5 May, 2017 04:47 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
Trump is like a gorilla.

I think he may be a little smarter than a gorilla but you do have to give a gorilla credit for not getting involved with people who are corrupt.

0 Replies

blatham

Fri 5 May, 2017 04:51 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
When one points it out, there are far too few on the left who will acknowledge because don't you know, Trump is like a gorilla.

Michele Obama is an "ape in heels" CNN
Quote:
GOP Arizona Radio Host: ‘Obama Is The First Monkey President’
NewsOne

A Republican candidate for Kentucky's state legislature posted racist images of President Barack Obama and his family -- and defended those images by saying "Facebook's entertaining."

Quote:
Dan Johnson, the bishop of Heart of Fire Church in Louisville, posted an edited image of the President and first lady Michelle Obama with ape-like features. He also labeled a photo of a chimpanzee a baby picture of Obama.
CNN

Quote:
Last week, right-wing radio host Barbara Espinosa of Arizona took to the airwaves and declared that she won't call Barack Obama "the first black president," explaining: "I voted for the white guy myself. I call him a monkey."
MM

Quote:
ABC News' Tahman Bradley Reports: Conservative talk radio host Rush Limbaugh issued an on-air apology to Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., today after a caller said her daughter thought the Democratic presidential frontrunner looked like the cartoon character Curious George, a monkey.

Limbaugh, who laughed at the caller's comments, later apologized explaining he didn't know anything about Curious George.
ABC

Ted Nugent
Quote:
"I think that Barack Hussein Obama should be put in jail. It is clear that Barack Hussein Obama is a communist. Mao Tse Tung lives and his name is Barack Hussein Obama. This country should be ashamed. I wanna throw up.... Obama, he's a piece of ****. I told him to suck on my machine gun."
onstage Aug 2007
Lash

Fri 5 May, 2017 04:52 pm
@layman,
layman wrote:

layman wrote:
Suppose someone in the media said Obama talked like a gorilla and called him a **********?

To answer my own question, I have no doubt that there would be extreme MORAL OUTRAGE immediately streaming from the left, with charges of racism, homophobia, and moral degeneracy. The streets would be full of crowds demanding that the speaker be fired, and that his network be boycotted.

There would be no "uproarious cheering," for some damn reason, eh?

Love Trump or hate him, Layman is correct. The double standard is obvious hypocrisy.
Lash

Fri 5 May, 2017 04:53 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:
Trump praises Australia's universal health care after Obamacare repeal(CNN)

That was absolutely ******* hilarious.

A new level of bizarro world.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Fri 5 May, 2017 04:53 pm
@Lash,
But...but...conservatives are evil!
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 5 May, 2017 05:03 pm
Quote:
On Wednesday, a customer service representative from the FDA’s Office of Facilities sent an email to staff informing them that TVs in a Silver Spring, Maryland office will now be exclusively turned to Fox News.
The email — a screencap of which was initially obtained and shared to Twitter by journalist Paul Thacker and later by BuzzFeed’s Julia Reinstein — was sent to “let everyone know” why TVs had been changed “from CNN to FOX.” It was sent to researchers at the Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research, the FDA branch that oversees medical products.
TP
Ya, vee do deese, Mein Fuhrer
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Fri 5 May, 2017 07:11 pm
Have ever thought about furthering your education? Maybe this man can help.

0 Replies

glitterbag

Fri 5 May, 2017 08:31 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Sorry but you would never make the cut.

It really is absurd that you are having so much difficulty with me expressing a belief which I admit I can't prove.

This guy is the gift that just keeps giving and giving.