monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

oralloy

Tue 2 May, 2017 06:14 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
They are, Trump is not. They may well consider a preemptive strike the most sensible option. You already believe a load of paranoid nonsense, so I don't think your opinion on China is based on anything substantive.

China knows very well that the US is not looking to go to war with them. (Well, maybe some in the Trump Administration would like a trade war, but no one wants a shooting war.)
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 2 May, 2017 06:22 am
Corey Robin makes a very compelling case that though Trump speaks as an authoritarian and sort of pretends to be one, his actions tell a different story. He is not, Robin suggests, moving to consolidate power in the manner a true authoritarian would.
Quote:
When it comes to advancing the singular potency of the presidency – whether that means controlling public opinion, consolidating the power of the executive branch, or dominating Congress – Trump has been an abject failure. Whatever fantasies he (or the media or his critics) may have about the presidency abound, the last 100 days have shown that Trump has no realistic agenda for, or steady interest in, consolidating power.

“Strong leader” is a slogan for Trump, a rhetoric, a performance, but that’s about it. Trump has always thought his words were more real than reality. He’s always believed his own bullshit. It’s time his liberal critics stopped believing it too.
Guardian
This is a smart take, I think. Trump's ambitions and actions are quite different from, say, the Koch boys who do proceed in a manner which is very much concerned with consolidating their own power and that's surely one key reason they have never trusted Trump - he's playing a different and inexplicable (to them) game.

Edit: But even if this take is more accurate than the accepted "wisdom", it's also the case that Trump's rhetorical style is promoting authoritarianism in US politics. If he were to move and act in truly authoritarian ways now, much of his base would be well primed to continue supporting him or perhaps even to increase their level of support. And that'a a very critical change in America.
0 Replies

oralloy

Tue 2 May, 2017 06:22 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
They said the UK should . . . consider recognising Palestine as a state, to show Britain's continued attachment to the two-state solution.

Enough of these unilateral acts on the Palestinian side, and Israel will finally be compelled to use force to unilaterally draw the borders of this Palestinian state so that the Palestinians do not get anything more than Area A and the Gaza Strip.
0 Replies

oralloy

Tue 2 May, 2017 06:31 am
@revelette1,

Probably a good idea. And personally I'd not complain about an increase in the number of interceptors we have in Alaska (as the likely path of a North Korean missile fired at mainland US passes directly over Alaska).

I came across an interesting study a few weeks ago on the feasibility of hitting North Korean nukes in the boost phase using missiles fired from US warships in international waters. I didn't study it in depth (I should probably dig it up and do so), but I think the conclusion was that it would be pretty difficult to do.
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 2 May, 2017 06:31 am
Yikes!
Quote:
President Donald Trump questioned why the Civil War— which erupted 150 years ago over slavery — needed to happen. He said he would be "honored" to meet with Kim Jong-Un, the violent North Korean dictator who is developing nuclear missiles and oppresses his people, under the "right circumstances."

The president floated, and backed away from, a tax on gasoline. Trump said he was "looking at" breaking up the big banks, sending the stock market sliding. He seemed to praise Philippines strongman President Rodrigo Duterte for his high approval ratings. He promised changes to the Republican health care bill, though he has seemed unsure what was in the legislation, even as his advisers whipped votes for it.

And Monday still had nine hours to go.

"It seems to be among the most bizarre recent 24 hours in American presidential history," said Douglas Brinkley, a presidential historian. "It was all just surreal disarray and a confused mental state from the president."

...White House officials said privately there was no broader strategy behind the interviews. GOP strategists and Capitol Hill aides were puzzled by it all. "I have no idea what they view as a successful media hit," said one senior GOP consultant with close ties to the administration. "He just seemed to go crazy today," a senior GOP aide said.
Politico
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Tue 2 May, 2017 07:12 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
They also lack a capability to sail a significant military force close to the US.

Is this your belief? If you were the north Korean leader do you think it would be imposable for you to send a few submarines to the US waters and fire nuclear missiles?
timur

Tue 2 May, 2017 07:17 am
@reasoning logic,
My belief is that these imposable submarine taxes are impossible Twisted Evil ....
blatham

Tue 2 May, 2017 07:23 am
Mo Brooks, Alabama Republican on the GOP health care plan
Quote:
“It will allow insurance companies to require people who have higher health care costs to contribute more to the insurance pool that helps offset all these costs, thereby reducing the cost to those people who lead good lives, they’re healthy, they’ve done the things to keep their bodies healthy. And right now, those are the people who have done things the right way that are seeing their costs skyrocketing.”

This caught a lot of attention, of course. And the ideology behind Brooks' statement is very interesting, though quite repugnant in certain aspects. Jon Chait gets to part of it here:
Quote:
The Republican plan expresses one of the core beliefs shared by movement conservatives, and utterly alien to people across the globe, right and left: that people who can’t afford the cost of their own medical care have nobody to blame but themselves.
NYMag
"People get in their lives what they deserve" is a short-hand for this set of notions. Of course, if Brooks' child is hit by a drunk driver and made a cripple, he's not likely to apply this formula to that child. Or if his portfolio is knocked sideways by some economic catastrophe, he's not likely to conclude fault lies with him. There is a deep "us/them" conceptual framing in all of this.

One element in this package is theological - God, being Good, will (must) reward the righteous and punish the sinner. Thus those who are healthy and wealthy are clearly on the right path and those who are beset by "misfortunes" have brought it on themselves. In a Godly universe, no other outcomes are possible.

Another element is class. As one wag put it when Bush Jr was running for the Presidency, "He was born on third base and thinks he hit a triple".

Another element is race or, more properly, racist ideas. We white folks run the show out of natural processes unfolding. If the coloreds were superior, they'd be running the show.

Each of these, individually or wrapped together, provide a convenient conceptual framing which justifies and validates the maintenance of power and privilege where it already sits. And that is the function of this ideology.

oralloy

Tue 2 May, 2017 07:24 am
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:
Is this your belief?

Yes.

reasoning logic wrote:
If you were the north Korean leader do you think it would be imposable for you to send a few submarines to the US waters and fire nuclear missiles?

Yes. I think it would be impossible.

I've seen no evidence that North Korea has subs that can fire nuclear missiles.

I've seen no evidence that North Korea has subs that can easily cross the Pacific, and certainly not without detection and destruction by the US.
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 2 May, 2017 07:25 am
@timur,
This is not a joking matter. Right now, the NK leader could have his imposable thumb on the red wreak havoc button.
0 Replies

timur

Tue 2 May, 2017 08:25 am
Blatham wrote:
This is not a joking matter.

On the contrary, it's an absolute joke.

Trump and Kim Jong Un are jokes.

Life is a joke too, risible at the scale of the universe.

If the humankind is erased, the universe will not even notice, or, if it does, it will sigh with relief.
georgeob1

Tue 2 May, 2017 08:47 am
@timur,
I would notice it.

I'm trying to visualize a "sigh" by the universe.
timur

Tue 2 May, 2017 09:09 am
@georgeob1,
You wouldn't notice, as didn't this person in Hiroshima :

http://theghostdiaries.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/nuclearblastshadows.jpg

Some assertions are rhetorical, metaphorical, and even oneiric, they defy visualisation..
0 Replies

Olivier5

Tue 2 May, 2017 09:25 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
I believe individuals are being paid to demonstrate. Can I prove it? No.

Because it is not true.
blatham

Tue 2 May, 2017 10:06 am
@timur,
Jeez. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5U1-OmAICpU
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Tue 2 May, 2017 10:13 am
@Olivier5,
With the same "justification" you could say, most people at the pro-Trump rallyes were claqueurs.
ossobucotemp

Tue 2 May, 2017 10:17 am
President Dismantle is at it again:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/may/02/government-shutdown-donald-trump-senate-budget-vote
Baldimo

Tue 2 May, 2017 10:25 am
@reasoning logic,
Quote:
Is this your belief? If you were the north Korean leader do you think it would be imposable for you to send a few submarines to the US waters and fire nuclear missiles?

It's funny that you think NK has the tech to get subs past our own sub detection nets. Unless they are running start of the art subs they aren't going to get close, they are using diesel/electric which our subs should have no problem detecting.
blatham

Tue 2 May, 2017 10:30 am
@ossobucotemp,
Yeah. As I suggested earlier, Trump doesn't have policies. He just has a mouth.
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 2 May, 2017 10:40 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
Re: Olivier5 (Post 6416619)
With the same "justification" you could say, most people at the pro-Trump rallyes were claqueurs.

One has to hand it to Finn for admitting his supposition is not backed by any evidence. But then, what becomes interesting is why he has the supposition at all? This is one of those cases where one would like to do an archaeological dig into someone's noggin. The idea came from somewhere and was generated by something(s). I could make a good wager on the answers there (Trump and rightwing media entities have been parroting the notion consistently) but damn, it would be interesting to plot out the actual genesis of the thing.