monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

reasoning logic

Mon 1 May, 2017 08:08 pm
@blatham,
Do you think we should take control of the internet?

0 Replies

izzythepush

Tue 2 May, 2017 01:21 am
This is a significant change. Britain has always followed America's lead in the ME. This report is not binding but marks a big step. (The Lords is the second house, bit like the Senate, but not as powerful, most of its members are appointed and sit for life, normally ex mps or experts in a particular field, or ennobled for services for one aspect of life like Andrew Lloyd Webber.)

Quote:
The unpredictability of Donald Trump's approach to the Middle East means the UK should no longer support US foreign policy in the region, peers have said.

A House of Lords committee concluded the UK could no longer assume the US would "set the tone" for the West's relationship with the Middle East.

The International Relations Committee spent six months working on its report.

Ministers said the UK would continue to work with international partners to achieve security and prosperity.
The report said the Trump administration had "the potential to destabilise further the region".

"The mercurial and unpredictable nature of policy-making by President Trump has made it challenging for the UK government to influence US foreign policy so far, a challenge that is not likely to ease," it said.

The peers point particularly to the US president's hostility to the deal curbing Iran's nuclear programme and his ambivalence to a two-state solution to the Israel-Palestine conflict.

The peers said the UK must distance itself from the US and fundamentally reshape its policy.

They said the UK should do more to support the Iran nuclear deal and consider recognising Palestine as a state, to show Britain's continued attachment to the two-state solution.

The committee, led by Conservative former Foreign Office minister Lord Howell of Guildford, said British "confusion and disarray" over Syria reflected contradictions in international policy on President Bashar al-Assad's regime.

"The objective of displacing Assad, as a prerequisite of any settlement, with the current means and policy, has proved unachievable," they said.

"Despite the chemical attack and the recent escalation of military conflict Assad, with Russian support, remains in power.

"There are no good options available in Syria but the recent chemical attack, the urgency of the humanitarian crisis, with the potential to destabilise the EU and countries of the Middle East with refugees, requires the UK, and international community, to redouble its efforts to achieve a negotiated solution."
The committee also called for the government to take a tougher line with Saudi Arabia over its actions in Yemen, including the possibility of suspending some arms exports as a last resort.

"We recognise the importance of arms sales to the UK economy and the Gulf. Arms sales, however, must take place with regard for international obligations," the report said.

"The government must demonstrate that its private diplomacy is working. If not, it should speak out clearly at the UN, within the Human Rights Council, condemning violations, intentional or not, in clear terms."

BBC diplomatic correspondent James Landale described the committee's report as uncompromising.

Last week, Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson said the UK would be unable to say "no" if the US asked for military support in an airstrike on Syrian government targets.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39775694
Brandon9000

Tue 2 May, 2017 03:35 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:
Why would they want to "drop nuclear bombs on us"?

They have said several times that they will and produced films which show simulations of attacking America with nuclear missiles. Their leader seems to be mentally unstable, and his deplorable treatment of his own people shows that he is not bound by anything like normal ethics.

hightor wrote:
Are you suggesting that the USA is so ineffective that it would allow disagreement between the two nations to lead to military hostility? It seems more likely to me that NK is developing its weapons systems to prevent us from dropping bombs on them. That's the nuclear defense posture which the rest of the nuclear powers uphold. Why not develop a relationship with NK which forswears hostility and seeks to make good economic relations between NK and the USA indispensable for the NK economy? Our current policy just underscores and legitimates the paranoia of the regime.

We have tried to make nice with them several times and it usually ends with them suddenly declaring, for no apparent reason, that if we attack them, they will destroy us. North Korea has spoken repeatedly about destroying America and reducing it to "ashes." Right now they have nuclear bombs and missiles which cannot reach us. They are putting a lot of effort into increasing the range of their missiles and if they continue to do so, they will likely succeed in just a few years. We would be absolute fools to allow them to develop the capability to do so. Should they come to possess missiles that can reach us, they could kill millions of Americans in one single attack.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Tue 2 May, 2017 03:41 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
Your argument is ridiculous and hysterical. NK will only use nuclear weapons against the US if under the threat of attack. You'd rather pretend otherwise to justify another unwarranted military adventure.

That would be true if their leader were mentally stable. He is not. North Korea has spoken repeatedly about using nuclear weapons against America and, in at least one quotation, reducing America to "ashes." They have produced several films showing simulated nuclear attacks on America.

izzythepush wrote:
It's not NK nukes that should worry you it's Chinese ones. If China deems itself under threat they may decide to remove that threat.

The Chinese, although they often behave badly, are sane and pursue risk averse policies. I certainly don't believe that they will launch a nuclear attack against anyone out of paranoia.
Brandon9000

Tue 2 May, 2017 03:47 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
NK's missile system is antiquated while America's is state of the art.

This is absolutely true. However, North Korea has been aggressively pursuing a program of increasing the range of its missiles, and if it continues to do this, within a few years, it will probably have missiles that can reach the US. If North Korea sends nuclear missiles to attack the US, which it often talks about doing, it won't matter how much better our weapons are than theirs - millions of Americans will die.
hightor

Tue 2 May, 2017 04:12 am
@Brandon9000,
Quote:
That would be true if their leader were mentally stable. He is not.

Do you have access to the results of a psychiatric examination which would back up your diagnosis?
0 Replies

izzythepush

Tue 2 May, 2017 04:39 am
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

That would be true if their leader were mentally stable. He is not.

You keep saying that but, as Hightor has pointed out, you've got nothing to back up that claim. I've posted a BBC article by a psychiatrist that states Kim Jong Un is perfectly rational.

You don't seem to be interested in anything other than paranoid hysteria to justify yet another illegal war. I'm honestly beginning to doubt you're mentally stable considering your totally irrational jingoism.
reasoning logic

Tue 2 May, 2017 04:40 am
@Brandon9000,
Quote:
North Korea has been aggressively pursuing a program of increasing the range of its missiles, and if it continues to do this, within a few years, it will probably have missiles that can reach the US

North Korea already has missiles that can hit the US. They probably had them 20 years ago. Missiles can be launched from sea hundreds of miles off the coast of the US.
izzythepush

Tue 2 May, 2017 04:42 am
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:
The Chinese, although they often behave badly, are sane and pursue risk averse policies. I certainly don't believe that they will launch a nuclear attack against anyone out of paranoia.

They are, Trump is not. They may well consider a preemptive strike the most sensible option. You already believe a load of paranoid nonsense, so I don't think your opinion on China is based on anything substantive.
blatham

Tue 2 May, 2017 04:44 am
@izzythepush,
thanks, izzy, I hadn't bumped into that story.
izzythepush

Tue 2 May, 2017 05:06 am
@blatham,
I doubt reports by the Lords feature highly in American news scheduling.
blatham

Tue 2 May, 2017 05:17 am
@izzythepush,
Normally not. Though some naughty sex tale will increase profile.
blatham

Tue 2 May, 2017 05:18 am
@izzythepush,
Related
Quote:
Trump’s Volatility in Asia Distresses a Longtime U.S. Ally: Australia
NYT
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 2 May, 2017 05:30 am
Quote:
This is exactly right
The aim has become very simple for House Republicans stumbling closer to passing a bill to revise the Affordable Care Act: just get it off their plates and over to the Senate.

In the messy effort to rally their often unruly party around a measure to replace big parts of President Barack Obama’s health-care law, House leaders have been forced to leave other objectives by the wayside and focus on one simple, political goal: pass a bill they can say repeals Obamacare — even if it has no hope of survival in the Senate — to shield their members in next year’s elections.
WP
0 Replies

izzythepush

Tue 2 May, 2017 05:42 am
@blatham,
They're normally more yuck than naughty.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/07/27/02/2ADDC5C600000578-0-image-m-7_1437961140579.jpg
blatham

Tue 2 May, 2017 05:46 am
100 days of @realDonaldTrump
all of Trump's tweets including those he (or his mother) deleted
WP

I know, I know. I'ts a bit like wading into PeeWee Herman's or Charles Manson's high school journals but I thought I ought to make it known this record is available. Besides, as Trump himself has said, he's the Ernest Hemmingway of 140 characters so there's great literary value here.
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 2 May, 2017 06:04 am
@izzythepush,
These tales are best told in text only. Photographs work damage on my romantic sensibilities. And this will get only worse up the road as technology provides "enhancements" like smell-o-rama.
0 Replies

oralloy

Tue 2 May, 2017 06:12 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
You don't seem to be interested in anything other than paranoid hysteria to justify yet another illegal war.

The North Korean threat is quite real. And when we shower them with nukes, it will be lawful self defense.
0 Replies

oralloy

Tue 2 May, 2017 06:13 am
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:
North Korea already has missiles that can hit the US. They probably had them 20 years ago. Missiles can be launched from sea hundreds of miles off the coast of the US.

North Korea has never developed a capability to launch SLBMs. They also lack a capability to sail a significant military force close to the US.

They do have missiles that can reach Guam and Saipan however.
revelette1

Tue 2 May, 2017 06:14 am
@Brandon9000,
To counter North Korea, admiral says the U.S. should consider adding ballistic missile interceptors in Hawaii/WP