monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

blatham

Wed 14 Dec, 2016 06:22 am
More specifics on Russian hacking and targeting Dems in Florida
Quote:
South Florida has long been a laboratory for some of the nation’s roughest politics, with techniques like phantom candidates created by political rivals to siphon off votes from their opponents, or so-called boleteras hired to illegally fill out stacks of absentee ballots on behalf of elderly or disabled voters.

But there was never anything quite like the 2016 election campaign, when a handful of Democratic House candidates became targets of a Russian influence operation that made thousands of pages of documents stolen by hackers from the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee in Washington available to Florida reporters and bloggers.
even down to the state level
0 Replies

Frugal1

Wed 14 Dec, 2016 06:29 am
@glitterbag,
You realize 0bama changed the way employment/unemployment numbers were reported so his destructive plans & policies were better able to fool people like you.
blatham

Wed 14 Dec, 2016 06:30 am
Garrison Keillor
Quote:
The government that matters to me is local. I will always remember the day 14 years ago in St. Paul, Minn., when my daughter went into convulsions and I picked up the phone and in six minutes the rescue squad was in our living room, five uniforms looking after my girl and one uniform explaining to me about febrile convulsions. If you were in the midst of this crisis, Donald J. Trump would be the last person on earth you’d want to see come through the door. He would tell you all about how he won Michigan and bring in a podiatrist and give you a coupon toward one of his steaks. It’s going to be a long four years, people. Get back in touch with old friends. Take up hiking.
Read history. But not books about Germany in the 1930s — it’ll only make you uneasy.
Yes, quite uneasy
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 14 Dec, 2016 06:34 am
Quote:
In the Trump movie now playing in the American theater, connecting all the dots requires the artistry of a mapmaker and the insight of a psychic.

Or, perhaps, the critical eye of a movie reviewer.

The leading man, President-elect Donald Trump, is gradually revealing himself to be a hybrid of Daniel Plainview (“There Will Be Blood”), Keyser Soze (“The Usual Suspects”) and Gordon Gekko (“Wall Street”) — each a Machiavellian, sociopathic narcissist bent on reshaping the world in his own image.

Not to put too fine a point on it.

Whomever people thought they were voting for, sayonara to all that. The Trump of Fifth Avenue has returned to his palace. He’s the star of his own movie, and everyone else, especially the Republican base he so skillfully seduced, is mere crowd scenery. Sorry.
Sorry. Very sorry.
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 14 Dec, 2016 06:44 am
Here's a piece on turmoil within Trump/RNC world. This stuff doesn't interest me much but Vogel is a good reporter.
Quote:
Donald Trump’s White House-in-waiting is already being roiled by divisions, with the conservative outsiders who helped power his historic victory colliding with a Republican Party establishment muscling its way in.

Insiders paint a picture of constant score-keeping and simmering suspicion within Trump world — one even called it “vitriolic.” And they foresee incoming White House chief of staff Reince Priebus, the party stalwart, and chief strategist Steve Bannon, the populist firebrand, headed for an inevitable clash
http://www.politico.com/story/2016/12/donald-trump-divisions-tower-232607
0 Replies

George

Wed 14 Dec, 2016 06:46 am
@Frugal1,
Frugal1 wrote:
You realize 0bama changed the way employment/unemployment numbers
were reported so his destructive plans & policies were better able to fool
people like you.
I did not know this.
How were they reported before?
How did he change it?
How are they reported now?
blatham

Wed 14 Dec, 2016 06:53 am
Oh goody. Trump is still on his "I know you guys worship me now let's go punch the crooked lying media in the face" tour. Because that's like way more important and funner than reading stuff and listening to others yammer on about the world and stuff.
Quote:
Donald Trump used the latest stop on his so-called thank-you tour Tuesday to remind Wisconsin voters what he’s thanking them for.

The president-elect regaled supporters in West Allis with a roughly 30-minute tale of how a man who would have been content with losing after giving it his all wound up defying the polls and becoming America’s next president.

“Should I go over that evening just once quickly?” Trump asked, teasing the crowd just moments after insisting the media were “devastated” after his election night win.
http://www.politico.com/story/2016/12/donald-trump-wisconsin-232605
0 Replies

Frugal1

Wed 14 Dec, 2016 06:56 am
@George,
U.S. changes how it measures long-term unemployment
George

Wed 14 Dec, 2016 07:04 am
@Frugal1,
Thank you.

So in 2010, the Bureau of Labor Statistics raised "from two years to five
years the upper limit on how long someone can be listed as having been
jobless."

Help me out here. Wouldn't this emphasize the severity of the problem?
blatham

Wed 14 Dec, 2016 07:05 am
Quote:
Trump's flirtation with Bolton sends shivers through Senate

Donald Trump’s selection of ExxonMobil chief Rex Tillerson as secretary of state threatens to touch off a confirmation fight, but the man in the running to be Tillerson’s deputy could spark an all-out war in the Senate.

John Bolton, the mustache-sporting, Iraq War-cheering former United Nations ambassador, is possibly one of the least diplomatic diplomats ever to serve in the U.S. government. He has argued the U.S. should bomb Iran to stop its nuclear program, dismissed the idea of a Palestinian state and called the United Nations a "twilight zone."
http://www.politico.com/story/2016/12/john-bolton-state-trump-232573

So unfair! Bolton is a mensch. An intellectual and diplomatic national treasure. Also, a really honest dude. Sure, he and Roger Stone helped organize the Brooks Brothers Riot in Florida, busing in a bunch of RNC operatives pretending to be, you know, grass rootsy patriots. But that's because they are patriots. Huge patriots. The best. That's why, after the Florida thing, Cheney gave him the UN gig. And John is really cool on Muslims and torture too. Maybe some dark skinned MFer might know something - shove a handful up WhizBang cannon firecrackers up their arse and watch the **** fly. Fantastic! Believe me.
0 Replies

Frugal1

Wed 14 Dec, 2016 07:08 am
@George,
No, the change was designed to hide the real unemployment numbers and the media went along with the plan by reporting that everything was fine & getting better - it wasn't. Obamanomics & Obamacare are huge scams.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/greatspeculations/2012/10/16/why-jack-welch-has-a-point-about-unemployment-numbers/#2c0484833438
blatham

Wed 14 Dec, 2016 07:10 am
God, I love this man. What a leader! You like Mussolini best? Not me. No way.
Quote:
Donald Trump warned Paul Ryan on Tuesday night that if the speaker “ever goes against me,” the president-elect will stop defending him — although he seemed to use a lighthearted tone when he said it.

During a "thank you" rally in West Allis, Wisconsin, Trump ticked off a list of local leaders who helped him to victory, thanking them for their efforts. But when he got to Ryan's name, some in the crowd started booing.

Ryan was a vocal Trump critic during the 2016 election, calling some of his remarks about minorities “racist” and rejecting Trump's campaign suggestion to ban Muslims from entering the country.

It seemed that some in the crowd had not forgotten those criticisms from Ryan.

“Speaker Paul Ryan! I’ve really come to …," Trump said, before the crowd cut him off with a mix of cheers and boos. “Oh, no! I’ve come to appreciate him. … He has been terrific, and you know, honestly, he’s like a fine wine: Every day goes by, I get to appreciate his genius more and more."

But then he added a warning, smiling while he said it: "Now, if he ever goes against me, I'm not going to say that, OK?"
http://www.politico.com/story/2016/12/paul-ryan-donald-trump-wisconsin-232608
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 14 Dec, 2016 07:16 am
Quick comment.

Sure, I give Trump and those around him and all of you wonderful patriots who do rah rah with your flags and everything some razzing. But I must say that there are two important democratic characteristics we'll see only enhanced and expanded during his tenure:
1) honesty
2) transparency in governmental operations

So there's that.
0 Replies

giujohn

Wed 14 Dec, 2016 07:22 am
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

You do know that since Obama has been in office the unemployment dropped from hovering around 10% to 4 point something? What do you think Trumps going to do, lower it to -5 %?

No, he's going to give the 94 million Americans who have stopped looking for work and are not counted in the unemployment rate and opportunity to find a job.
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 14 Dec, 2016 07:25 am
Recall, if you will, the passage from the earlier link on McConnell's memoirs:
Quote:
Was he serious? Well, no. McConnell said in an interview years later that these recommendations were political posturing, “playing for headlines” to distract voters from Watergate.

Or in plainer English, "I was lying through my teeth about it".

So, that's distribution of a falsehood, intentionally, thus resulting in citizens/voters being deceived such that McConnell could gain/augment his political power. Or in plainer English, that's propaganda.

With that firmly in mind...
Quote:
Wha!? GOP Now Claims Obamacare Doesn't Really Affect THAT Many People
When Republicans were campaigning against the Affordable Care Act, they often made it sound like the system was such a monstrosity, such a disaster, so big and overwhelming it was crushing the entirety of the the U.S. health care system and responsible for skyrocketing premiums in every sector of the insurance market. Now that they're on the verge of upending Obamacare, they are claiming that its reach is not so big after all. Suddenly, Obamacare's problems – and the number of people that repealing it will affect – are "relatively small."

This reduction in rhetorical scope is striking, given the language Republicans used to denounce the Affordable Care Act for the last six years.

"Obamacare is a malignant tumor that feeds and metastasizes on American liberty," Rep. Steve King (R-IA) once said of the law.

"Obamacare is doing tremendous damage across America, and in Utah in particular," Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-UT) said a year ago.

Reacting to a major 2012 Supreme Court decision upholding Obamacare, then-Rep. Mike Pence (R-IN) gravely pronounced: "This ruling erodes the freedom of every American, opening the door for the federal government to legislate, regulate, and mandate nearly every aspect of our daily lives under the guise of its taxing power."

“If we don’t repeal and replace Obamacare, we will destroy health care in America,” Donald Trump warned a week before the election.

That was then.

This is now...
How could you believe me when I said I love you when you know I've been a liar all my life
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 14 Dec, 2016 07:35 am
Here's another incredible leader who has no use for politically correct bullshit:
Quote:
Rodrigo Duterte has announced he personally killed suspected criminals when he was mayor of his home city of Davao in the Philippines, cruising the streets on a motorcycle and “looking for trouble”.

The country’s president made the comments in a speech late on Monday night as he discussed his campaign to eradicate illegal drugs, which has seen police and unknown assailants kill around 5,000 people since he became president on 30 June.
"I could shoot somebody and not lose voters"
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 14 Dec, 2016 07:47 am
I mean, there's just no doubt about this. Trump hasn't even taken office or done two licks of work or even study and Gingrich is so far out in front of everything, with his brain and all, that he can say this and it sparkles in its brilliance.
Quote:
“He’s in the tradition of Washington, Jefferson, Jackson, Lincoln, Theodore Roosevelt, FDR and Ronald Reagan,” the former House speaker said.
So true!
0 Replies

giujohn

Wed 14 Dec, 2016 07:48 am
@i800gtplay,
i800gtplay wrote:

Ok so your 2 premises are - 1. Hilary is definitely a liar. 2. We should only call liars out if they are public servants.

On point 1 - not saying you're wrong, but would love to hear about the most clear example and evidence that Hilary is a liar that really gets under your skin. Not hearsay, but something that is an undeniable fact.

On point 2 - I just fundamentally disagree. If someone is found to be lying to the public before they're in office, we should prevent them from taking any office altogether - rather than wait until they're in office to call them out.

Just one lie from Hillary when there are so many?

CLINTON PUBLICLY BLAMED A YOUTUBE VIDEO FOR THE BENGHAZI TERRORIST ATTACK, WHILE PRIVATELY ACKNOWLEDGING THAT IT “HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH THE FILM”

ON THE 2008 CAMPAIGN TRAIL, CLINTON CLAIMED SHE CAME UNDER SNIPER FIRE IN BOSNIA

THE FBI EXPOSED CLINTON’S LIES ON THE MATTER OF NUMBER OF DEVICES SHE USED

THE FBI EXPOSED CLINTON’S LIES ON TURNING OVER ALL OF HER WORK RELATED EMAIL

THE FBI EXPOSED CLINTON’S LIES ON TRANSMITTING CLASSIFIED INFORMATION AT THE TIME OF SENDING OR RECEIVING

THE FBI EXPOSED CLINTON’S LIES ON THE MATTER OF WHETHER THERE WAS MARKED CLASSIFIED MATERIAL ON HER SERVER

THE FBI EXPOSED CLINTON’S LIES ON THE MATTER OF HER SECRET SERVER BEING VULNERABLE TO HACKERS

THE FBI EXPOSED CLINTON’S LIES ON THE MATTER OF SHE AND HER AIDES DELETING AND WIPING DEVICES

THE FBI EXPOSED CLINTON’S LIES ON WHETHER OR NOT SHE HAD THE AUTHORITY TO SET UP HER OWN SERVER

THE FBI EXPOSED CLINTON’S LIES ON THE ISSUE OF WHETHER SHE EMAILED PEOPLE WITHOUT A PROPER SECURITY CLEARANCE

If a multi billionaire businessman making deals all over the world if Trump lied I could give a rat's ass. When he violates the public trust as a paid public servant how did nouns him as I have Hillary.

0 Replies

blatham

Wed 14 Dec, 2016 07:53 am
I like Jet Heer. Smart guy (a Canadian, so that figures). He's got a take on Tillerson that's worth attending to.
Quote:
Trump’s Secretary of State Pick Is the Best of a Bad Lot
Exxon Mobil CEO Rex Tillerson could serve as a check on hawkishness.
https://newrepublic.com/article/139312/trumps-secretary-state-pick-best-bad-lot
0 Replies

George

Wed 14 Dec, 2016 07:54 am
@Frugal1,
Frugal1 wrote:
No, the change was designed to hide the real unemployment numbers and
the media went along with the plan by reporting that everything was fine &
getting better - it wasn't. Obamanomics & Obamacare are huge scams.
But the change would show the real employment numbers were worse,
wouldn't they? If jobless people are reported for five years instead of two,
then the unemployment figures will be higher.

Consider this: suppose one new person went jobless and stayed jobless
every year from 2011 to 2015. Under the previous method, the persons who
went jobless in 2011, 2012 and 2013 would no longer be reported in 2015.
There would be only two of these people reported. But under the new
method, all five people would be reported. Five is greater than two.

What am I missing?