monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

Frugal1

Wed 14 Dec, 2016 07:59 am
@George,
You are missing the fact that 0bama & friends set out to hide the real numbers.
George

Wed 14 Dec, 2016 08:03 am
@Frugal1,
Frugal1 wrote:
You are missing the fact that 0bama & friends set out to hide the real
numbers.
I see. Thank you for your reply.
blatham

Wed 14 Dec, 2016 08:08 am
@George,
You expected something more tangible?
blatham

Wed 14 Dec, 2016 08:09 am
Better get to know this guy. Trump's Senior Policy Adviser. He's a piece of work.
http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/06/stephen-miller-donald-trump-2016-policy-adviser-jeff-sessions-213992
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 14 Dec, 2016 08:23 am
Coming to theaters near you everywhere!

PUTIN ON THE HUDSON

You'll laugh. You'll shudder. You'll scream. You'll cry. You'll lock up your daughters and your wife. You'll never think of Tic Tacs the same way again. You'll wonder what it would be like to watch your father brag about the size of his pecker in front of an audience of hundreds of millions world wide. You'll scream some more. And you'll rush home to quickly learn the Volga Boat Song by heart because now you'll have to rethink everything you previously thought about wonderful, smart, manly Russia. And you'll cry. Reserve your tickets now! Available ONLY at Sharper Image.
Quote:
Over the last few days, concerns about some kind of a hidden alliance between Donald Trump and Vladimir Putin have exploded. There is the president-elect with his apparently fawning regard for the Russian leader. There are Trump’s top cabinet picks, with their unusual Russian ties: as national security advisor, Lt. General Mike Flynn, who has met Putin and done paid events for a Kremlin-sponsored TV station; and as secretary of state, ExxonMobil CEO Rex Tillerson, who has done billions of dollars of business in Russia and received an award from Putin. And then there is the revelation, from the CIA, that Russia may have actively interfered in the US election to get Trump elected.

Of course, Putin may well have reasons for wanting Trump to be president—not least Trump’s apparent skepticism toward NATO and his lack of opposition to Russia’s military interventions in Ukraine and Syria. But a more important connection between the two men may be their common approach to leadership, which will almost certainly outlast any friendship that may form between them. During his campaign, Donald Trump repeatedly expressed admiration for the way Putin governed. “The man has very strong control over his country,” Trump said at one point. “He’s been a leader far more than our president has been a leader.” That revealed a lot about Trump’s concept of the presidency—he seems to believe that effectiveness is measured by the extent to which the leader “controls” the country. But how might that play out in practice? To what extent can Putin provide insight into Trump’s understanding of power?

There is still much we don’t know about how Trump will rule. But in the month since his election, some characteristic patterns have emerged—and they bear some instructive similarities to the style Putin has practiced over many years. Here are a few of them:
Oh yes, you will cry
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 14 Dec, 2016 08:31 am
Another brief note for populists everywhere, particularly those beneath the Manson Nixon line.

It is an absolute guarantee and certainitudinality that Americans will, through the next years, see the wealthy get less wealthy and the poor get more richer. Bank on it. Or mattress on it, depending. Because it's the little guy Trump and team have dead center in their personal and civic concerns.

Quote:
This Trump voter didn't think Trump was serious about repealing her health insurance
I guess she just assumed he was lying. Though how the hell she'd get that idea, god knows
0 Replies

Frugal1

Wed 14 Dec, 2016 08:39 am
Yep, the 0bama administration is one of, if not the most corrupt administrations to ever occupy the White House. Honesty & transparency is something they never embraced. Tangible information is something they never provided. This Trump administration will be a refreshing change from all things 0bama.
0 Replies

George

Wed 14 Dec, 2016 08:44 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
You expected something more tangible?
I got what I expected.
Frugal1

Wed 14 Dec, 2016 08:49 am
@George,
The truth. You got the truth, something blatham has trouble sharing.
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 14 Dec, 2016 08:52 am
@George,
Quote:
I got what I expected.

You've always been a wise man.
blatham

Wed 14 Dec, 2016 08:58 am
Kellyanne Conway said last night that the CIA and FBI need to "get over" the Russian hacking thing.

I say, exactly! The Russians won. It's done. Stop with the whining already. Grant them the respect that's due. They had leadership. Not like our wimp intel people.
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 14 Dec, 2016 09:10 am
Old Europe succinctly took this one up yesterday but let's revisit in line with our continuing theme of Propaganda, Know It When You Get Suckered By It.
Quote:
In July, Republicans on the House Select Committee on Benghazi released a report, confirming what we already knew about the deadly terrorist attack in Libya four years ago, but the controversial panel didn’t officially wrap up its work. In fact, it continued to seek information about the attack even after its chairman, Rep. Trey Gowdy (R-S.C.), declared, “Our committee’s work is done.”

This week, however, the partisan committee, which failed in its efforts to find information damaging to Hillary Clinton, “quietly shut down” and will exist no longer.

...This really is the end of a cringe-worthy process. The GOP’s Benghazi panel, duplicating the work that had already been done by six other congressional committees, spent millions of taxpayer dollars chasing down bizarre conspiracy theories, asking questions that had already been answered, and pulling together evidence that had already been exhaustively reviewed.

The result was a committee that was needlessly partisan, needlessly secretive, and ultimately pointless. Even Republicans who hoped the Benghazi Committee would produce anti-Clinton fodder were left to wonder what about point of this lengthy exercise.

Indeed, this probe was among the longest in American history, and when it comes to congressional scrutiny of specific individual events – Pearl Harbor, 9/11, the Kennedy Assassination, Watergate, etc. – the Benghazi investigation was the longest ever.
But (wink wink) we do know what the point of this lengthy exercise was, don't we now
blatham

Wed 14 Dec, 2016 09:14 am
There's nothing stopping a man from acting prudently. I mean, it's like so rational do do so.
Quote:
Alex Jones Scrubs Pizzagate Content
It's like when the cop pulls you, the hippy, over and asks for your driver's licence and he tells you not to talk with your mouth full
0 Replies

Frugal1

Wed 14 Dec, 2016 09:17 am
American businesses are relived that they will not have to suffer under that nasty woman's proposed tax hikes.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Wed 14 Dec, 2016 09:20 am
@blatham,
Quote:
The GOP’s Benghazi panel, duplicating the work that had already been done by six other congressional committees

This is one thing I really hope that Mr. Trump , as a businessman with many business people on his team, will prevent. Duplication of service doesn't work in business. No one wants to waste time or money going over the same things multiple times. I hope he holds everyone's bums to the fire if they suggest reworking things that have already been done.

I think it's time to just watch what he's doing - let him get on with it.

It's what going to happen and there's no upside to fussing about it.

__

What people who want to see a change in the US need to do, IMNSHO, is get busy developing future candidates for their parties. Look at the 20 and 30 year old volunteers and campaign team members - get them elected locally so that they're ready for state and federal primetime in 5 - 10 years. The world is passing old white guys by - time for the US to get with the program. China plays the long game and sees an upcoming weakness.

No point in weeping and wailing for American conservatives (yes, they're doing it on the other sites I post at) and American-style liberals (conservative-lite) or other Americans hoping to see change.

Trump's the president-elect. He's either going to get the hang of being president or not.

Time to get the parties' succession plans in order.
blatham

Wed 14 Dec, 2016 09:21 am
What a team!
Quote:
Ben Carson’s HUD may roll back housing protections for LGBTQ people
The potential HUD secretary once compared same-sex relationships to bestiality.
Also, if your daughter or son doesn't honor you, you should kill them

Down in some southern states, as you all likely know, when a fellow in some small isolated agrarian community is found have sex with a farm animal, it is one hell of an embarrassment. Unless that farm animal is the same gender as the fellow in which case he's lynched, shot, dragged behind a truck and peed on within hours.
ehBeth

Wed 14 Dec, 2016 09:30 am
@blatham,
If those things do go forward, I think the split in America will become dangerously obvious. I hope enough people are interested in holding the country together to figure out a way to mediate the differences.

It really reminds of Canada's two solitudes of 100/150 years ago.
Frugal1

Wed 14 Dec, 2016 09:33 am
GALLUP: Small business owners' optimism skyrockets - at highest level in 8 years

0 Replies

blatham

Wed 14 Dec, 2016 09:35 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
I think it's time to just watch what he's doing - let him get on with it.

It's what going to happen and there's no upside to fussing about it.

My take is only slightly different, beth. It surely is critical for Dems to get their act together now, plan for how to deal with what's coming in terms of policies and sustained attacks on very valuable programs and instititutions and civic norms. They need to develop a wide field of good candidates and build up a more solid infrastructure. All those things, for sure.

But along side that, what I think they absolutely cannot avoid is the necessity of pushing the reality of what Trump is and will be up to (and not just him, the crowd that he's putting in place) into citizens' attention. If they and the media treat what's going on now and later as normal, then all the common standards will head towards collapse.

There's one poster here (he's a military dude from San Francisco) who has a favorite fairy tale, "The Sky Is Not Falling, It Never Has And Never Will". It's a great tale and a favorite of many. And as nicely as it reads in English, it's actually much better in Yiddish.
blatham

Wed 14 Dec, 2016 09:38 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
I hope enough people are interested in holding the country together to figure out a way to mediate the differences.

Me too. My optimism on whether that's going to happen varies from day to day.
0 Replies