monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

layman

Sat 22 Apr, 2017 11:17 am
Bill Maher is a liberal. As such he is NOT in any way representative of the Democratic Party, which consists primarily of illiberal marxists. Liberalism, in the tradition of J.S. Mill, et al, was abandoned by the democrats many decades ago:

Quote:
Bill Maher: UC Berkeley is 'the cradle for f—king babies'

Liberal political comedian host Bill Maher said the University of California, Berkeley is the "the cradle for f—king babies" after the university caved to pressure and disinvited...conservative commentator Ann Coulter as a speaker.

Maher said this sort of thing goes on at campuses nationwide, calling it the liberals' version book burning.

"They invite someone to speak whose not exactly what liberals want to hear and they want to shutter it," Maher said. "I feel like this is the liberal's version of book burning. And it's got to stop."

Maher also criticized former Vermont Gov. Howard Dean, who tweeted this week that Coulter's "hate speech" is "not protected by the First Amendment."

"Yes it is," Maher said. "Threats are not protected by the First Amendment."

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/bill-maher-uc-berkeley-is-the-cradle-for-fking-babies/article/2620964

In the months since the Berkeley mob rioted, beat Trump protesters, and did over $100,000 in damage in order to prevent Milo from speaking there, I have not seen a single cheese-eater in this thread express even the slightest disapproval of such brownshirt tactics.

On the contrary, they take the Howard (yeeeeeeeeehaw) Dean approach, and attempt to justify it.

All you cheese-eaters should move to Iran. Then you could live in a country whose values you love, ya know?

You would be much, much happier, and so would every normal U.S. citizen.
layman

Sat 22 Apr, 2017 11:42 am
Huffpo is still promoting its commie-ass hatred, I see:

Quote:
Huffington Post Published Embarrassing Piece Calling For Trump Supporters’ ‘Podunk Towns’ To Be Destroyed by Nuclear Weapons

Huffington Post published (and later deleted, following complaints) an article declaring that Donald Trump voters deserve to have their “Podunk towns” annihilated in nuclear fire.

Blogger Chris Cali wrote an article entitled “Trump Supporters Deserve to Die More Than I Do.” A portion of the article is replete with various indictments against Trump. It includes unproven claims (he calls them “crimes”) revolving around sexual assault and the rape of a child...

"So sorry not sorry, but the ones who actually deserve to have a nuke dropped on them first are the ones who voted to get us all into this mess....the human species will be better off without them. It’ s practically Darwinian,” wrote Cali with finality. “These are the people who deserve to have their towns annihilated.”

https://heatst.com/politics/huffington-post-piece-calls-for-the-nuclear-annihilation-of-trump-supporters/

Howard Dean has yet to come out and object to this standard Huffpo fare as "hate speech," for some damn reason, eh?
0 Replies

revelette1

Sat 22 Apr, 2017 12:10 pm
Quote:
The sun was setting in New York as James Murdoch, looking confident in cream pants and a dark blazer, stepped before 350 guests in a glass-walled concert hall and waxed poetic about his pet TV channel and its dedication to “scientific literacy.”

The event on Wednesday night was an advertising showcase for National Geographic, which Mr. Murdoch, 44, has doted on since becoming chief executive of its parent company, 21st Century Fox. As a person who cares deeply about “issues related to the environment, conservation, exploration and education,” he told the crowd, “I’m personally grateful for the important work National Geographic does.”

Across town at that same moment, his 86-year-old father, Rupert — who once called climate change “alarmist nonsense” — was still dealing with fallout at his most cherished channel, Fox News. Bill O’Reilly, the pugnacious and top-rated talk show host, had been ousted that day after allegations of sexual harassment involving multiple women.

It was James Murdoch — the one looking so unperturbed at the NatGeo presentation, posing for photos as waiters milled about in yellow suspenders and guests ate skirt steak and shrimp cocktail — who had most aggressively moved against Mr. O’Reilly. The same had happened in July, when Roger Ailes, who founded Fox News with Rupert Murdoch, was forced to resign amid his own sexual harassment scandal.

This is what generational change at one of the globe’s most powerful media conglomerates looks like.

The rest at the source NYT
layman

Sat 22 Apr, 2017 02:16 pm
Offensive ****, here, sho nuff;

0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Sat 22 Apr, 2017 02:26 pm
L.A. Tourism Board Deftly Claps Back at President with “Everyone Is Welcome” Ad

http://www.lamag.com/culturefiles/tourism-board-everyone-is-welcome-ad/Not all tourism boards wear capes

April 18, 2017 Lisa Beebe

The Los Angeles Tourism and Convention Board launched a new ad campaign today, and its message, “Everyone is welcome,” is intended to remind travelers that the Trump administration’s general “Stay the hell away, foreigners!” vibe does not enjoy local support. The video, set to the Father John Misty song “Real Love Baby,” follows a series of bright paper airplanes as they fly over various neighborhoods, revealing the city’s diversity. The tourism board posted the 90-second commercial on its Discover Los Angeles social media accounts this morning with the message, “We believe that what makes us different brings us together. Help Los Angeles share this welcome message with the world.”

As exclusionary policies from Washington send a decidedly unwelcoming message to international visitors, the city is rightly worried about the economic impact of fewer tourists. Don Skeoch, CMO of Discover Los Angeles, told Adweek, “We felt compelled that we had to do something about this to try and mitigate these losses.” The new ad campaign extends an open invitation to potential visitors. It ends by displaying the words: “We welcome everyone” in several languages.

This A2k person is an L.A. Woman, reference, The Doors.
blatham

Sat 22 Apr, 2017 02:48 pm
@snood,
I'm gratified you made slicing direction optional because I'm heterosexual.
blatham

Sat 22 Apr, 2017 02:54 pm
@revelette1,
Quote:
This is what generational change at one of the globe’s most powerful media conglomerates looks like.
From all my reading on Fox and the Murdoch family, I'm hopeful that when Rupert finally (finally!) kicks the bucket that the three kids will do something more responsible. We'll see. But there's no reason to assume that the sociopathy of the father will or is a feature of the offspring.
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 22 Apr, 2017 03:02 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Good for them.
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 22 Apr, 2017 03:06 pm
Quote:
Not one member of Congress representing the region that President Donald Trump's proposed border wall would run through has declared support for his request for funding to begin construction, the Wall Street Journal reported Friday.

Per the report, the Wall Street Journal surveyed lawmakers who represent territory on the United States' southwest border and found that most are opposed to Trump's request for funding to begin work on the wall, while many still have questions.

"Not a single member of the House or Senate representing the region expressed support for the funding request," per the report, which noted that lawmakers on both sides of the aisle were included in the survey.
TPM (internal link to WSJ)
Perhaps because this really has nothing to do with anything except seeking votes through promoting citizen fears of the scary brown-skinned people.
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 22 Apr, 2017 03:31 pm
One of the most valid criticisms of the Correspondents' Dinner is the promotion of celebrityhood for politicians and high profile media people. That is, politics and news as "in-crowd" entertainment.

The last person you'd think would be uncomfortable in this format is Donald Trump. But he backed out on this year's event. We understand, unless we're terribly dull, that he didn't back out because he's too serious to be seen with celebrities or that he resists, out of a sense of responsibility, degrading the seriousness of the Presidency and the press. He backed out because he was going to be satirized in public. And that is just about the last thing that bullies and authoritarians want to have happen, particularly when they might have a narcissistic disorder to the degree Trump has it.

So what does the dipshit do? He holds a rally the same night so that media will (right wing media, that is) cover Trump lying about pretty much everything and receiving loud adulation from his fans instead.

The real disaster here isn't Trump. It is the modern rightwing universe - a creature now so far over the edge that it welcomed someone like Donald Trump as leader.
0 Replies

giujohn

Sat 22 Apr, 2017 04:30 pm
@layman,
layman wrote:

Bill Maher is a liberal. As such he is NOT in any way representative of the Democratic Party, which consists primarily of illiberal marxists. Liberalism, in the tradition of J.S. Mill, et al, was abandoned by the democrats many decades ago:

Quote:
Bill Maher: UC Berkeley is 'the cradle for f—king babies'

Liberal political comedian host Bill Maher said the University of California, Berkeley is the "the cradle for f—king babies" after the university caved to pressure and disinvited...conservative commentator Ann Coulter as a speaker.

Maher said this sort of thing goes on at campuses nationwide, calling it the liberals' version book burning.

"They invite someone to speak whose not exactly what liberals want to hear and they want to shutter it," Maher said. "I feel like this is the liberal's version of book burning. And it's got to stop."

Maher also criticized former Vermont Gov. Howard Dean, who tweeted this week that Coulter's "hate speech" is "not protected by the First Amendment."

"Yes it is," Maher said. "Threats are not protected by the First Amendment."

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/bill-maher-uc-berkeley-is-the-cradle-for-fking-babies/article/2620964

In the months since the Berkeley mob rioted, beat Trump protesters, and did over $100,000 in damage in order to prevent Milo from speaking there, I have not seen a single cheese-eater in this thread express even the slightest disapproval of such brownshirt tactics.

On the contrary, they take the Howard (yeeeeeeeeehaw) Dean approach, and attempt to justify it.

All you cheese-eaters should move to Iran. Then you could live in a country whose values you love, ya know?

You would be much, much happier, and so would every normal U.S. citizen.

Any cheese eater who wants to go I will buy the one way ticket.
0 Replies

snood

Sat 22 Apr, 2017 05:09 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Inclusiveness is so important, even in cheese sammich production.
blatham

Sat 22 Apr, 2017 05:15 pm
@snood,
You are a gentle-hearted and empathetic individual. In these characteristics, you are much like Finn.
0 Replies

giujohn

Sat 22 Apr, 2017 07:35 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

So you say...
0 Replies

Lash

Sun 23 Apr, 2017 04:47 am
France experiences historic election turnout.

http://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-europe-39683594
Walter Hinteler

Sun 23 Apr, 2017 05:28 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
France experiences historic election turnout.
Actually not - at noon, the turnout (28.54%) was lower than in 2007 (31.21%) and just slightly above (28.29%) the 2012 turnout.
Though, these figures are only métropolitaine ...

Perhaps, the "endorsement" of Trump for Le Pen had some effects?
Lash

Sun 23 Apr, 2017 05:34 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I guess you should share your superior knowledge with the media. They say you're wrong.

That was sort of funny. I don't see the French public as a group as one interested in Donald Trump's election advice.

I think the terrorist attack may have swayed a few votes.
Walter Hinteler

Sun 23 Apr, 2017 05:36 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Though, these figures are only métropolitaine ...
I've scanned through random départements in various régions - the noon turnout seems to about or slightly below the 2012 results everywhere, more below the 2007 election (all first round)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Sun 23 Apr, 2017 05:37 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

I guess you should share your superior knowledge with the media. They say you're wrong.
I got my knowledge from the media. (That's the easy way, but you could look at various department for the chiffres de la préfecture as well.)
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 23 Apr, 2017 05:48 am
The WP has an informative piece on Trump buddy, Alex Jones Here

Regarding the amount of money flushing through rightwing media:
Quote:
According to a Forbes piece in 2013, Jones’s syndicated radio show, YouTube channel and documentaries netted revenue of about $1.5 million per year in 2010 “enough to support a staff of 15 and enable him to buy an $800,000 house and 7,600 square foot studio.”
Note that this fringe dude was pulling in that much four years ago when his profile and
audience were far smaller.

As we've noted earlier, Jones is in a custody battle, his wife holding that he's a fruitcake while Jones' attorney has a different story:
Quote:
But in Texas, at a pretrial hearing this month, Jones’s attorney said Jones is “playing a character. He is a performance artist.” Another attorney described Jones’s work as “humor” and “sarcasm,” reported Uistin American-Statesman reporter Jonathan Tilove, who tweeted from the trial.

And as noted/linked in the piece, Rolling Stone did a piece on Jones' show in February
Quote:
Alex Jones' Mis-Infowars: 7 Bat-Sh*t Conspiracy Theories
From "false flag" attacks to man-made hurricanes, a look at the favorite talking points of the "most paranoid man in America"
It's here
As another indicator of the amount of money in rightwing media, Fox provides Murdoch's huge corporate operation with 25% of its income.
0 Replies