monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

blatham

Tue 13 Dec, 2016 06:20 am
@old europe,
Exactly.

It was during Clinton's presidency that Republicans began using "investigations" as a propaganda tool. It looks very much like they noticed that prior investigations that were clearly justifiable (into Watergate and Iran/Contra) worked damage on the GOP and that these investigation capabilities could be bastardized for mere political use.

Likewise, as we're noting now in McConnell's move, suppression of justifiable investigations represent the reverse side of the same coin.
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 13 Dec, 2016 06:27 am
Another good piece on Betsy DeVos
Quote:
Betsy DeVos and God’s Plan for Schools
At the rightmost edge of the Christian conservative movement, there are those who dream of turning the United States into a Christian republic subject to “biblical laws.” In the unlikely figure of Donald J. Trump, they hope to have found their greatest champion yet. He wasn’t “our preferred candidate,” the Christian nationalist David Barton said in June, but he could be “God’s candidate.”

Consider the president-elect’s first move on public education. Jerry Falwell Jr., the president of Liberty University, the largest Christian university in the nation, says that he was Mr. Trump’s first pick for secretary of education. Liberty University teaches creationism alongside evolution.

When Mr. Falwell declined, President-elect Trump offered the cabinet position to Betsy DeVos. In most news coverage, Ms. DeVos is depicted as a member of the Republican donor class and a leading advocate of school vouchers programs.

That is true enough, but it doesn’t begin to describe the broader conservative agenda she’s been associated with.

Betsy DeVos stands at the intersection of two family fortunes that helped to build the Christian right.

...At a 2001 gathering of conservative Christian philanthropists, she singled out education reform as a way to “advance God’s kingdom.” In an interview, she and her husband, Richard DeVos Jr., said that school choice would lead to “greater kingdom gain.”
Lots more here
Read this piece. It's important.
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 13 Dec, 2016 06:30 am
More on Tillerson
Quote:
Now that President-elect Donald J. Trump has chosen Rex W. Tillerson, the chief executive of Exxon Mobil, to be the next secretary of state, the giant oil company stands to make some major gains as well: It has billions of dollars in deals that can go forward only if the United States lifts sanctions against Russia.

As head of America’s largest oil company, Mr. Tillerson has earned a friendship award from Russia and voiced skepticism about American sanctions that have halted some of Exxon Mobil’s biggest projects in the country.

But Mr. Tillerson’s stake in Russia’s energy industry could create a very blurry line between his interests as an oilman and his role as America’s leading diplomat.
nothing to see here folks, move along now
0 Replies

georgeob1

Tue 13 Dec, 2016 06:37 am
@blatham,
Thank you for the reminder of the etymological history of well-known terms, like "big lie". ( I'll admit not as lyric as epistimological. but a big, pretentious word nevertheless.)

What is the real, factual basis for your apparently unfounded assertion about Trump to wit;
blatham wrote:
But it, along with those other similar appointments, might make it and with little awareness of protest from the suckers who thought this con man would have even the slightest interest in forwarding the common good or even giving a damn about the nation's citizens.

Trump has indeed raised some significant issues that have quite obviously resonated with a (still rapidly growing ) segment of the public. These range from a largely stagnant, over-regulated economy to the feckless and obviously failing foreign policy ( now even the Phillipines are snubbing us) we have pursued, and the serious politicization of the increasing bureaucratic exectutive component of the government of this republic. Surely if what I quoted above is your definition of the "big lie" at the root of this, you must have some evidence that it is indeed a lie.

I'm in Washington DC, having my morning coffee - it's quite early on the West coast.

The atmosphere here is a bit changed for this, now the most prosperous, city in the country. People seem preoccupied, perhaps ueasy. I wonder why.
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 13 Dec, 2016 06:38 am
Now here's some crappy crappy reporting (stenography) by 3 reporters at the NYT. Search in vain for any admitted awareness of what McConnell and Ryan are actually up to (suppression of any independent investigation and almost certain suppression of full finding or any particular finding which might work electoral damage on their party). link
This sort of journalism, habituated for a lot of historical and other reasons, that we all really need to push back against.
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 13 Dec, 2016 06:56 am
I am going to make this plea again to everyone posting on this topic.

Refrain, for the love of god, from tossing insults out at other posters.

This is how political discussions go bad. Just don't do it. If there are other posters who do this regularly, PUT THEM ON IGNORE. There really is no value at all in joining them in such ugly contests and lots to be lost if you do. If we all follow this simple procedure, then the individuals who are mainly the ones guilty of it (it is trolling) will be evident to moderators as bad actors and can then be treated appropriately.
blatham

Tue 13 Dec, 2016 07:07 am
From Michael Gerson, former speechwriter in the Bush administration:
Quote:
Donald Trump has a problem that comes not from the cast of “Hamilton,” but from Hamilton himself.

In Federalist 68, Alexander Hamilton deals with that odd, anti-democratic feature of our constitutional order, the electoral college, which has dictated a different outcome from the popular vote in two of the past five presidential elections. The ultimate goal, he says, is to provide a check on “cabal, intrigue, and corruption” — a threat he specifies as coming “chiefly from the desire in foreign powers to gain an improper ascendant in our councils. How could they better gratify this, than by raising a creature of their own to the chief magistracy of the Union?”

Of a sudden, this fear does not seem quite so paranoid. A cumulative case for concern has been building for months. Trump has repeatedly expressed a soft spot for an oppressive dictator, Vladimir Putin, who is challenging American interests at every turn. As a candidate, Trump publicly invited Russia to hack his opponent’s emails. Trump’s campaign manager, Paul Manafort, resigned amid reports that he had represented pro-Russian interests as a lobbyist. Trump’s choice for national security adviser, Michael T. Flynn, seems to be a Russophile and has appeared on Russia’s propaganda network.

In 2008, Donald Trump Jr. admitted that “Russians make up a pretty disproportionate cross-section of a lot of our assets.” President-elect Trump has consistently refused to be fully transparent about his finances.
more here
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 13 Dec, 2016 07:11 am
Quote:
The president-elect appears to be assembling not a government but an anti-government. He said Sunday that “nobody really knows” whether climate change is real, though 97 percent of climate scientists say it is, and he intends to appoint a fervid skeptic as administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency. He seeks to install a labor secretary who does not believe there should be a minimum-wage increase, an education secretary who shows little or no commitment to public education, and a housing secretary whose only relevant experience is having lived in houses. Is this a recipe for American greatness? Or for incompetence and failure?

Now we have the CIA’s conclusion of Russian meddling on Trump’s behalf. “I think it’s ridiculous,” Trump said in an interview with “Fox News Sunday.” But what about this weird and disturbing transition has not bee
n ridiculous?
Eugene Robinson
0 Replies

old europe

Tue 13 Dec, 2016 07:15 am
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:
I believe the obvious answer lies in the complexity of the events themselves and the political contentiousness of the matter itself.

A reasonable assumption. I'm sure that a terrorist attack on a U.S. embassy is an incredibly complex event. Very much unprecedented. Really, a threat to the nation itself. It's reasonable to assume that it was a much more complex event than the surprise attack on Pearl Harbor that dragged America into WWII. Or Watergate. Or the coordinated hijacking of four planes and subsequent attacks on the World Trade Center and on the Pentagon on 9/11.

And of course, you're completely right that it was politically contentious. I mean, the length of the investigation was proof of that, wasn't it?

Good thing Congress was able to conclude its investigation and shut down the Benghazi committee right after the election, before the new President comes into office.
Frugal1

Tue 13 Dec, 2016 07:18 am
So far - so good, Trump has impressed the doubters on a daily basis.
A stark contrast to 0bama depressing the nation on a daily basis for 8 long & dark years.
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 13 Dec, 2016 07:22 am
Quote:
President-elect Donald Trump’s campaign manager once worked closely with a group of anti-immigrant extremists and conspiracy theorists, creating polls aimed at generating ill feeling towards Muslim Americans.

Kellyanne Conway, who now acts as a senior aide to Mr Trump, ran a polling firm which has worked with the Federation for American Immigration Reform (FAIR) - an organisation described as an anti-immigrant hate group by the Southern Poverty Law Center - for 20 years.
Independent UK
As noted here and as we've noted before, she's a colleague of Frank Gaffney.
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 13 Dec, 2016 07:33 am
Tony Perkins doesn't approve of the Tillerson appointment. Guess why.
Quote:
Social conservative leader Tony Perkins is sounding the alarm over the possibility that Rex Tillerson, CEO of ExxonMobil, will become secretary of state, after previously criticizing the notion that Mitt Romney might be the nation’s top diplomat.

“Trump calls Rex a 'world class player and deal-maker,' but if these are the kinds of deals Tillerson makes — sending dollars to an abortion business that's just been referred for criminal prosecution and risking the well-being of young boys under his charge in an attempt to placate radical homosexual activists — then who knows what sort of 'diplomacy' he would champion at DOS?” Perkins wrote on the Family Research Council’s website, where he serves as president.

Perkins was referring to Planned Parenthood, whose health services for women include abortion. Religious activists have accused ExxonMobil of donating to the organization, but the company has said it merely matched employees' charitable gifts as part of a corporationwide policy.
link
0 Replies

McGentrix

Tue 13 Dec, 2016 07:36 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:
It appears the United States of America will now be protecting and defending Exxon Mobile's oil interests throughout the world.

Trump picks ExxonMobil CEO Tillerson as choice for secretary of state

As I and many others have noted, nothing says "populist" like that appointment. Particularly given all the other billionaires around and in this administration. It may not get through because of how blatant it is as an admission of big money taking over citizen governance.

But it, along with those other similar appointments, might make it and with little awareness of protest from the suckers who thought this con man would have even the slightest interest in forwarding the common good or even giving a damn about the nation's citizens. The reason is found here:
Quote:
A big lie (German: große Lüge) is a propaganda technique. The expression was coined by Adolf Hitler, when he dictated his 1925 book Mein Kampf, about the use of a lie so "colossal" that no one would believe that someone "could have the impudence to distort the truth so infamously."
wikipedia

What is it about this appointment screams populist? Why is that you keep forwarding the idea that Trump is as a "con man would have even the slightest interest in forwarding the common good or even giving a damn about the nation's citizens." You say that when what you really mean is that he is not forwarding the Liberal agenda. You, and people who share your personal viewpoints (the lap dogs that keep responding to your dog whistle here), do not have any idea what the common good is nor do you care about the nation's citizens either. All you care about is forwarding your personal agenda.

And for the love of what ever you find holy, stop with the Hitler nonsense. George Carlin had a good bit on this, not Hitler, but people who are full of ****. Let me see if I can find that. This is what I think every time I see one of you make a Hitler reference in regards of Trump.

0 Replies

blatham

Tue 13 Dec, 2016 07:41 am
Republican Devin Nunes is a piece of work.
Quote:
House Intelligence Chairman Devin Nunes says his committee wasn't told about the CIA's assessment that Russia sought to tilt the presidential election toward Donald Trump, suggesting key lawmakers were kept in the dark about the major development.

The California Republican said in a letter Monday to Director of National Intelligence James Clapper he was "dismayed that we did not learn earlier, from you directly, about the reported conflicting assessments and the CIA's reported revision of information previously conveyed to this committee."

He also expressed some skepticism about the CIA assessment, noting it appears "to conflict with recent [intelligence community] statements to the public and to this committee characterizing Russian activities."

In the letter, Nunes asks Clapper to look into whether classified information was leaked to the news media. Nunes asks for briefings on the issue this week and an assessment on any leaks by Jan. 13.

..."I am deeply concerned that these press reports may contain unauthorized disclosures of both classified [intelligence community] information and the contents of closed intelligence committee proceedings," said Nunes, a member of the Trump transition team.

...Nunes issued a statement earlier Monday saying his panel was "conducting vigorous oversight" of the issue and that "at this time I do not see any benefit in opening further investigations, which would duplicate current committee oversight efforts and Intelligence Community inquiries."
Getting the priorities right

So, #1, we Republican-led committees can handle things just fine and #2, what we are really concerned about is information leaking that might make Trump and us look like lying pieces of crap and #3, the CIA and other intel groups involved probably don't know what they are talking about.
0 Replies

Frugal1

Tue 13 Dec, 2016 07:48 am
America is relieved knowing that nasty democrat woman has been vanquished.
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 13 Dec, 2016 07:53 am
Quote:
You say that when what you really mean is that he is not forwarding the Liberal agenda

No (though I'm certainly an advocate of a bunch of liberal or social democratic policies and values).

As I've pointed out here on many occasions, is that the notions stated in my post you've quoted have been voiced broadly by countless american writers and political thinkers - and by an unprecedented number of conservative thinkers as well.

Trump is not normal. The circle of people around him are not normal. Their drive towards a communications style which has total disregard for the truth is not normal. They placement of so many corporate interests in his cabinet is not normal and that is, by definition, the opposite of "populist" - except if one defines that term solely as an empty appeal to the fears and prejudices of certain sectors of the population most susceptible to such appeals.

ps... and if one makes a study of propaganda techniques and precedents, then 1930s Germany, Goebbels and Hitler, can't be avoided. Consider, for one small example, Bannon's expressed desire to become the conservative Leni Riefenstahl.
McGentrix

Tue 13 Dec, 2016 07:59 am
@blatham,
I find it odd because many of the writers I read and the people I talk to all seem to think that Trump is doing great things for the country and he isn't even actually President yet. I don't think your "common good" and my "common good" are even close to the same.

Trump ran on many things, the Economy being a main focus. Who do you think knows more about the economy? Life long politicians who have created nothing but national debt or successful businessmen who have worked and understand how the economy works?

Trump not being "normal" is one of the reasons he won. You'll need to come to grips with that.
Frugal1

Tue 13 Dec, 2016 08:03 am
When compared with the last & current SOS, Tillerson is superior in every way.
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 13 Dec, 2016 08:08 am
@McGentrix,
Quote:
many of the writers I read and the people I talk to all seem to think that Trump is doing great things for the country

Then bring them into the conversation. Quote them. Link them.

Quote:
Trump ran on many things, the Economy being a main focus. Who do you think knows more about the economy?

Economists. That is, people who set out to understand a very complex subject rather than who merely set out to manipulate an existing system to fill their bank accounts. At the very least, people involved in business who haven't gone bankrupt multiple times. Or business people who don't have a long and documented history of cheating others or bullying them into letting go of their property so that the businessman can make a lot of dough.

And lastly, business people who have the personal ethics and integrity to refrain from lying constantly such that they can gain power and wealth.
McGentrix

Tue 13 Dec, 2016 08:14 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:
many of the writers I read and the people I talk to all seem to think that Trump is doing great things for the country

Then bring them into the conversation. Quote them. Link them.

Nah, then it becomes about the author and not the words. I prefer to use my own words on A2K unless I find it cumbersome.