monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

Finn dAbuzz

Sun 9 Apr, 2017 01:10 pm
@Olivier5,
This is nuts.

By striking Syria, Trump wasn't taking the first step in a war against Assad.

If Assad is stupid enough to try it again, he'll get another strike, and probably closer to home.

We're not in a war footing at all.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Sun 9 Apr, 2017 01:11 pm
@blatham,
I think you added "arrogant"
blatham

Sun 9 Apr, 2017 01:14 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
I'm not going to think of Russia as uniquely evil because they tried to mess with our election
Nor did I say they were uniquely evil. I said that the magnitude of their efforts in the US was unique to US experience (activities which continue). I also said their goals were not aligned with American interests nor with the hopes and ideals of democracy.

Quote:
Democrats (and Canadian lefties) would be better served by figuring out why they really lost the election than blaming the Russians who, at most, put icing on the cake.
Figuring out why elections are lost is not a simple task because the factors are so complex. For example, Republicans have lost the popular vote in 6 out of 7 prior federal elections. Have you figured that one out?

Dems won the popular vote by 3 million. Dems lost the electoral college by 80,000 votes in three states. It isn't difficult, illogical or irresponsible to make a credible claim that Russian involvement was adequate to tip the scale - even if I would argue that other internal factors were far more causal.
blatham

Sun 9 Apr, 2017 01:16 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Nothing added. I quoted the tweet acccurately.
cicerone imposter

Sun 9 Apr, 2017 01:23 pm
@blatham,
Finn:
Quote:
Quote:
Democrats (and Canadian lefties) would be better served by figuring out why they really lost the election than blaming the Russians who, at most, put icing on the cake.

The GOP is going downhill very fast. We just need to wait until the next election cycle to see how many GOP hold their seats.
blatham

Sun 9 Apr, 2017 02:03 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
The GOP is going downhill very fast. We just need to wait until the next election cycle to see how many GOP hold their seats.
We all have hopes this horrible crowd will be knocked back. But even if things work in our favor, which seems likely at this point, it won't be far back. There are significant institutional and organizational and financial factors working to protect an R advantage.
Lash

Sun 9 Apr, 2017 02:18 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Does it really make sense to you that the "rebels" who are a mixture of Syrian patriots and jihadis, having gotten their hands on a chemical weapon would use it against their own rather than the Alawites or the West? There was certainly no guarantee that the US would react as it did and it's reaction hardly changed the game over there.

Considering their power and ours, it was brilliant strategy. You don't think we'll back away now, do you?
layman

Sun 9 Apr, 2017 02:24 pm

In this clip it is noted that she specifically blamed "sexism" coming from Democrats, in the primaries, too.

But, you would think that women especially would be determined to rally around her to counter such "sexism" with their votes. She might, for example, have expected to get 80% of the female vote.

But, turns out, more white women voted for Trump, the "abuser of women," than her.

Nice try, cheese-eater.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Sun 9 Apr, 2017 02:27 pm
Quote:
President Donald Trump's deputy national security adviser, KT McFarland, has been asked to step down after just three months, US media say.

Ms McFarland, an ex-Fox News analyst, has been offered the role of ambassador to Singapore instead, Bloomberg and Reuters report.

It comes days after Mr Trump removed his senior strategist Steve Bannon from the National Security Council (NSC).

The NSC advises the president on national security and foreign affairs.

Mr Bannon's appointment in January raised fears that the circle of top advisers was being politicised.
Analysts say the latest moves show Mr Trump's new national security adviser, Lt Gen HR McMaster, reshaping the NSC team appointed by his predecessor.

The previous national security adviser, Lt Gen Michael Flynn, was fired after just three weeks and three days in the job, after it emerged he had misled the vice-president over his conversations with Russia's ambassador to the US.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-39546360

Looks like Trump has finally realised that his Fox News cabinet have big mouths but tiny brains, and absolutely no idea whatsoever, very much like the idiots who watch them.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Sun 9 Apr, 2017 02:34 pm
@blatham,
Looks like the democrats went into hybernation.
Lash

Sun 9 Apr, 2017 04:09 pm
Remember Hillary during the campaign, talking tough about toppling the Assad regime? The people I talk to who are on the ground in and near Syria, military there and here, historians, etc. all say Assad is just a step toward the main event of overthrowing Iran's government.

All eggs in that basket and we are all in toward that goal. This is why Obama stepped away from Netanyahu late in his last term. I'm not sure what carrot or stick Israel may be using, but all the mayhem being caused in Syria reflects proxy WWIII and it has for a long time.

We are propping up one group of murderous beheaders and Russia, the other.

An article.

http://ncr-iran.org/en/ncri-statements/president-elect/20194-maryam-rajavi-iran-regime-will-collapse-when-assad-is-toppled-in-syria
Lash

Sun 9 Apr, 2017 04:26 pm
Much better explanation of events in Syria.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.vox.com/platform/amp/2017/4/8/15218782/syria-trump-bomb-assad-explainer
blatham

Sun 9 Apr, 2017 06:33 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:

Perhaps a better way to think of this problem is that "live and let live" is not well equipped to deal with "kill the enemy".
izzythepush

Sun 9 Apr, 2017 06:59 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson has criticised Russia, saying it had failed to prevent Syria from carrying out a chemical attack on a rebel-held town.

Russia had agreed to ensure Syria's chemical weapons stockpiles were destroyed - and its failure to do this enabled the attack, he said.

The US fired 59 missiles at a Syrian airbase after the alleged attack.

Syria has denied using any chemical agents, and Russia says the US gave no evidence Syria has chemical weapons.

Russia is the Syrian government's main ally, and helped facilitate a 2013 agreement to destroy Syria's chemical arsenal.

The suspected chemical attack on Khan Sheikhoun on Wednesday left 89 people dead.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-39548388

Tillerson is correct, Russia should have done that, and Russia knows it. Up until this point, Russia has been doing well both militarily and diplomatically, framing the Syrian conflict as one that is exclusively anti IS. Assads use of chemical weapons has completely thrown that into kilter.

And Assad did use chemical weapons, all reliable sources say so, the only people saying otherwise are the Russians, Assad, and weird conspiracy nuts, and the only people who actually believe that crap are the weird conspiracy nuts. As usual they're helping to divert attention from the most likely conspiracy, the one that people have been talking about ever since Trump won the election, Tump and Putin.

For all their protesting this strike suits the Russians. It should help make Assad behave himself, and propagate the Russia under siege myth Putin uses to stay in power. You never want to change leader when there's powerful, hostile forces out there.

It also diverts attention away from allegations of Trump's collusion with Putin. People are already saying this is proof that Trump is not under Putin's influence.

Having said that I do think Trump did the right thing, but he did it for the wrong reason.
georgeob1

Sun 9 Apr, 2017 07:01 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:

Perhaps a better way to think of this problem is that "live and let live" is not well equipped to deal with "kill the enemy".

Are you suggesting that Chuck Schumer and Nancy Pelosi are practicing "live and let live" ??? Really ???
reasoning logic

Sun 9 Apr, 2017 07:16 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:

Do you think we will make it to the next election cycle?

I enjoy learning from educate Israelis do you?

Lash

Sun 9 Apr, 2017 07:26 pm
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:

Quote:

Do you think we will make it to the next election cycle?

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0TsfSdI4HU[/youtube]

I think I may lose my bet to guijohn on the impeachment now. War is a great distraction from comparatively mundane DC shenanigans.

The war may float Trump through several months. If he bombs that fat retard in Korea, a few more, and if he cleans up Obama's premature ejaculate in Iran, we'd better get used to whatever the hell iteration of Republicans evolves in the interim.
giujohn

Sun 9 Apr, 2017 07:37 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Finn:
Quote:
Quote:

If the GOP is going down the hill that must mean the Dems have hit the bottom and crashed and burned and the DPW has already cleaned up the mess, repaved the road and repainted the ******* curbs.
0 Replies

giujohn

Sun 9 Apr, 2017 07:39 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:
We all have hopes this horrible crowd will be knocked back. But even if things work in our favor, which seems likely at this point, it won't be far back. There are significant institutional and organizational and financial factors working to protect an R advantage.

Except you will take have the Court for the next 20+ years!
0 Replies

giujohn

Sun 9 Apr, 2017 07:42 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Uh.. I think they're all brain dead...I say take em off life support.
0 Replies