monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

snood

Sun 9 Apr, 2017 09:22 am
@thack45,
thack45 wrote:

blatham wrote:

Sean Hannity tweet from 9/3/13
Quote:
Glad our arrogant Pres. is enjoying his taxpayer funded golf outing after announcing the US should take military action against Syria

Yeah but, this is different

Yeah, THAT was referring to Obama, military actions, and golf.
NOW we're dealing with Trump, military actions, and golf.
Apples and oranges.
revelette1

Sun 9 Apr, 2017 09:52 am
There seems to be more disconnect in the Trump administration. Haley says Assad has to go, Tillerson says the Syrian people must make that decision (as though they can.) Meanwhile Tillerson is having talks with Russia and plans on a meeting with Moscow. I wonder in which direction this is going to go?

Quote:
Tillerson, Haley issue differing statements on Assad's future

Haley indicated in an interview on CNN's “State of the Union” that the United States does not see a peaceful political resolution for Syria's civil war as long as Assad remains in power." We don't see a peaceful Syria with Assad in there,” Haley said on CNN.

But speaking on ABC News's “This Week,” Tillerson emphasized that the Syrian people would eventually decide Assad's fate.

Instead, Tillerson emphasized the administration's priority in defeating Islamic State forces in Syria and said little about the U.S.'s preference on Assad's future.

WP

Quote:
Russia's Lavrov, Tillerson spoke by phone about situation in Syria

Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov and U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson spoke by phone on Saturday about the situation in Syria after the U.S. strikes on a Syrian air base, the Russian ministry said in a statement.

Lavrov pointed out that "an attack on a country whose government fights terrorism only plays into the hands of extremists, creates additional threats to regional and global security," the Russian ministry said.

He also told Tillerson that assertions that the Syrian military used chemical weapon in Idlib province on April 4 do not correspond to reality, the ministry added.

It said Lavrov and his U.S. counterpart agreed to continue discussions on Syria in person. Tillerson is expected in Moscow for talks with Russian officials next week

Reuters
0 Replies

jcboy

Sun 9 Apr, 2017 09:53 am
@snood,
Next Trump is going to close Gitmo, because it's only a good idea if a 70 year-old white man wants to try it.
ossobucotemp

Sun 9 Apr, 2017 09:56 am
@Olivier5,
I get it about understaffed State Department and Defense Department, but I hadn't understood about the Pentagon - I would have guessed it's a more stable situation there. So, I'm sort of surprised it's also understaffed.
snood

Sun 9 Apr, 2017 10:01 am
@jcboy,
jcboy wrote:

Next Trump is going to close Gitmo, because it's only a good idea if a 70 year-old white man wants to try it.

I hear you, but I think he's more likely to fill Gitmo to capacity for torturing than close it.
jcboy

Sun 9 Apr, 2017 10:05 am
Now suddenly all Republicans will back Trumps's decision, yet, they prevented any attempt Obama made. The whole thing stinks! So sad for these people. We prevent the Mothers and babies fleeing for their life from entering our country and somehow bombing one military base is going to solve anything?

Interesting video.

revelette1

Sun 9 Apr, 2017 10:05 am
@snood,
I guess it depends on his mood or who he is hearing that day. But more than likely, you are right.
0 Replies

revelette1

Sun 9 Apr, 2017 10:08 am
@jcboy,
I have been reading headlines from the Federalist, I am not sure certain republican rights are so gung-ho with the air strikes. I am almost positive they don't want to get rid of Assad. But you are right, some of the right's embracing of these strikes are hard to swallow given the refugee situation.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Sun 9 Apr, 2017 11:22 am
@ossobucotemp,
The army top brass will be happy to fill the gap.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Sun 9 Apr, 2017 11:37 am
@jcboy,
Gitmo has long been a powerful recruiting sergeant for jihadis, but some idiots will only accept the bleeding obvious when a Republican president says it.
Finn dAbuzz

Sun 9 Apr, 2017 12:35 pm
@Lash,
Oh I don't trust either, but that doesn't mean they are responsible for every problem in the world.
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 9 Apr, 2017 12:37 pm
Now here's some really, really tough foreign policy!
Quote:
Secretary of State Rex Tillerson on Sunday suggested that in order to deter further electoral meddling, Russia "needs to confront" its own interference in the 2016 U.S. election as well as upcoming elections in Europe.

"This is something that Russia needs to confront themselves and I think examine carefully as to how this is helping them achieve their longer-term objectives," Tillerson said on ABC's "This Week."

He said the U.S. will "continue to talk with" Russian officials "about how this undermines any hope of improving relations not just with the United States," but suggested self-reflection will be a stronger deterrent than external pressure.
TPM
WTF?
Finn dAbuzz

Sun 9 Apr, 2017 12:38 pm
@Lash,
Does it really make sense to you that the "rebels" who are a mixture of Syrian patriots and jihadis, having gotten their hands on a chemical weapon would use it against their own rather than the Alawites or the West? There was certainly no guarantee that the US would react as it did and it's reaction hardly changed the game over there.

Finn dAbuzz

Sun 9 Apr, 2017 12:42 pm
@reasoning logic,
This fellow is a salacious pig who fell out of favor with the NYT for suspicious reasons. He latched onto Trump to resurrect his career, and figured out that Trump-Haters would happily spend money to read bad things about him. Talk about a PT Barnum...he's going to get rich on suckers.
0 Replies

farmerman

Sun 9 Apr, 2017 12:55 pm
@blatham,
I hear that T-rex has a "time out" policy that was approved by Trump
Finn dAbuzz

Sun 9 Apr, 2017 12:58 pm
@blatham,
I agree, just because we do it doesn't mean we should allow others to do it to us, but I'm not going to think of Russia as uniquely evil because they tried to mess with our election, and there is no way to determine the effectiveness of their efforts this time around. Democrats (and Canadian lefties) would be better served by figuring out why they really lost the election than blaming the Russians who, at most, put icing on the cake.
blatham

Sun 9 Apr, 2017 12:59 pm
@farmerman,
apparently
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Sun 9 Apr, 2017 01:03 pm
@blatham,
No favorites? Odd.

I agree Nixon was pathological, but I think we can add JFK and Clinton to that list as well, if for no other reason than their reckless sexual hungers demonstrated a loose screw or two.

Then for just plain amoral assholes, there's LBJ.

If we want to consider near tyrants, there are FDR and Wilson.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Sun 9 Apr, 2017 01:06 pm
@georgeob1,
I don't know why anyone cares what she has to say.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Sun 9 Apr, 2017 01:08 pm
@jcboy,
No, you remember Republicans not wanting to allow Obama to pass the decision off to them. It was purely political on both sides, but it wasn't "defending Assad."
0 Replies