monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

georgeob1

Sat 8 Apr, 2017 03:33 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

Bemused, huh, well alright, at first I thought you were just being a dick, but sure, why not, bemused, good one.

You might be able to go 3 whole days without thinking of Canada, but you can't seem to go more than a few hours without thinking about Blatham.

I try hard to be modern, but I still haven't gotten used to some broad calling me a "'dick'.

I like Blatham, but I don't like his political views and the tactics he uses to advance them. The two compel me to attempt to rescue him from banality.

A taste for irony and the occasional sweetness of life are the best things - along with the freedom to express yourself as the moment requires.

0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Sat 8 Apr, 2017 03:34 pm
@georgeob1,
Here's some bull ****.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2016/09/09/politics/donald-trump-birther/index.html
layman

Sat 8 Apr, 2017 03:35 pm
Quote:
The University of Missouri has announced the closure of three additional undergrad residence halls due to the shortfall in student enrollment following the 2015 race protests. The closures bring the total number of closed residence halls to seven.

In January 2017, the university saw its lowest enrollment figures since 2011 with only 31,010 students, according to ABC 17. The figures reached their peak in fall 2015 at 35,448 students—numbers that only declined following the race protests in November 2015, which persisted well into 2016. In 2016, graduate enrollment saw a 25% drop compared to the previous year.

E-mails depict the cataclysmic backlash against the University of Missouri as its administrators grappled with demands from rowdy protestors, a hunger-striking grad student, and a boycotting football team. The protests ultimately toppled both the president and the chancellor. The 7,400 pages of emails, reviewed exclusively by these two publications, reveal how Mizzou overwhelmingly lost the support of longtime sports fans, donors, and alumni.

This passionate backlash doesn’t appear to have been a bluff. Already, freshman enrollment is down 25%, leaving a $32 million funding gap and forcing the closure of four dorms. The month after the protests, donations to the athletic department were a mere $191,000—down 72% over the same period a year earlier.

Graduate student Jonathan Butler announced a hunger strike, demanding the resignation of the college’s president. A student group issued a list of demands. Among other items, they wanted President Wolfe to be removed—and to hold a news conference at which he would publicly apologize and “acknowledge his white male privilege.”

In 2015 Chancellor Loftin announced that beginning in January, all incoming students will be required to complete diversity training. The university will also hire a vice chancellor for inclusion, diversity, and equity.

A typical response came from a parent paying full tuition for his sophomore son writes: “Free speech is under assault on campus by immature, spoiled, thin skinned punks. … I am seriously considering removing my son after this semester. I will never allow him to take politically correct ‘racial sensitivity training’ if required.”

https://heatst.com/culture-wars/inside-the-fallout-at-mizzou/

Good work, cheese-eaters! Caving in to the snowflakes didn't quite work out for ya, eh?
0 Replies

georgeob1

Sat 8 Apr, 2017 03:36 pm
@cicerone imposter,
goddamn cicerone keeps trying to piss me off. It won't work!
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 8 Apr, 2017 03:36 pm
@glitterbag,
Yes. Do try to be understanding. The difference between snowflakeBernie and snowflakeGeorge is merely one of warmth. I arrived melted and cuddly.
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 8 Apr, 2017 03:43 pm
Fun facts to keep in mind.

This year, more Americans have been killed on US soil by toddlers with guns than by terrorists.
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 8 Apr, 2017 03:46 pm
More fun facts

Quote:
By 2013, 79 of Obama’s nominees had been blocked by filibusters, compared with 68 in the entire previous history of the Republic.
WP
ossobucotemp

Sat 8 Apr, 2017 03:53 pm
@jcboy,
An early long time boyfriend worked for Raytheon (sigh, I wonder if he is still around and happy). He asked me to marry him three years in a row, and I declined each time, due to many differences, most of them inconsequential, but not all. We liked each other, but I didn't like him quite enough. We parted ok, as these things go. Last time I saw him, he flew into Los Angeles for business, called and asked me to go to dinner with him, and told me about his now wife, and I was glad for him.

Re missiles, don't get me started.
0 Replies

oralloy

Sat 8 Apr, 2017 03:54 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
More fun facts
Quote:
By 2013, 79 of Obama’s nominees had been blocked by filibusters, compared with 68 in the entire previous history of the Republic.

How many of W's nominees were blocked after 2006?

If the Democrats don't want to lose a fight, they shouldn't start a fight.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Sat 8 Apr, 2017 03:55 pm
@blatham,
The republicans broke our democracy. This country used to be a good example of what a democracy could accomplish, but republicans destroyed it for selfish political reasons. There's no turning back.
https://www.google.com/amp/www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/commentary/ct-trump-destroy-american-democracy-20161214-story,amp.html
oralloy

Sat 8 Apr, 2017 04:00 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:
The republicans broke our democracy.

Not at all. American democracy is doing just fine. Trump is leading America into the 21st century.
ossobucotemp

Sat 8 Apr, 2017 04:05 pm
@blatham,
I'm interested in Ossoff too, for diff reasons.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Sat 8 Apr, 2017 04:09 pm
@oralloy,
Trump's approval rating is 34%. The only thing he's leading in is "disapproval."
It's at 55%.
ossobucotemp

Sat 8 Apr, 2017 04:10 pm
@blatham,
Ai ai ai.
Big hate build up, after years of ordinary hate.

In memory of Tricky Dick, I'll add McConnell Slick.
0 Replies

giujohn

Sat 8 Apr, 2017 04:40 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Trump's approval rating is 34%. The only thing he's leading in is "disapproval."
It's at 55%.

And the only thing you lead in is tedium
layman

Sat 8 Apr, 2017 04:48 pm
Try to keep up, eh, Al?

Quote:
Friday, April 07, 2017

The Rasmussen Reports daily Presidential Tracking Poll for Friday shows that 45% of Likely U.S. Voters approve of President Trump’s job performance.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Sat 8 Apr, 2017 04:50 pm
@giujohn,
No. Actually, they're called facts from reliable sources.
The FBI is investigation Trump's connection to Russia.
http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2017/feb/22/all-possible-ties-between-trump-and-russia/
0 Replies

giujohn

Sat 8 Apr, 2017 04:54 pm
Seems to be alot if hand wringing regarding why we put more importance on the use of vx/serin gas over conventional bombs.

Let me see if I can explain the distinction so even cheese eaters can understand.

One of the ways bombs or bullets is different and gas is more egregious is that when the dust settles from the bombs or the bullets stop, others can check for wounded and administer first aid to reduce suffering. With gas those would be medics become casulties them selves and in fact the area is unoccupiable. It is no different than the sniper who picks off the unarmed combat medic tending to the battlefield wounded.

And while children do die in war as collateral casulties, warfare is supposed to target combatants not children. Killing your enemies children is genocide not waging war against enemy combatants. And genocide us a war crime. So is the use or chemical/ biological warfare.
0 Replies

layman

Sat 8 Apr, 2017 05:06 pm
Quote:
Clinton in 1st Interview After US Polls

April 08 02:28 2017

Comparing herself with Mary Mallon, who was isolated after she became the first person in U.S. to be diagnosed with typhoid, Clinton said that public opinion changed when she showed interest in running for the White House.

"I don't know that there is one answer", she told the Women in the World Summit in NY when asked why a majority of white women voted for a Republican who had boasted of groping women.

"By the time they finished with me, I was Typhoid Mary", she said, attributing her sharp decline in popularity to sexism directed against women who display ambition.

http://aliveforfootball.com/2017/04/clinton-in-1st-interview-after-us-polls/

Well, there ya have it, then, eh? Sexism, pure and simple.

On a related note, Marion Barry would still be the Mayor of DC if he wasn't black.
georgeob1

Sat 8 Apr, 2017 05:30 pm
@layman,
There does appear to be a rather pronounced bit of "It can't possibly be my fault" in her psychological makeup, or at least her overt behavior. The arrogance of assuming that when she loses an election, it is a defeat, not for her, but for all womankind is rather breathtaking.

Perhaps she believes all the lies she told as well.