monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

glitterbag

Sat 8 Apr, 2017 02:48 pm
@blatham,
Well, think about the family ruling classes such as Ceausescu, Marcos, Saddem Hussein, the Perons of Argentina and I'm sure there are other Authoritarian regimes I just didn't include.
georgeob1

Sat 8 Apr, 2017 02:49 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:
What makes Trump unique is that he made his administration a family affair.
I don't know of another such case. But that is just one aspect that makes Trump uniquely unfit/unethical, as you are aware.

You appear to treat every observable feature of Trump as yet another indicator of his supposed unique unfitness. That tells us far more about your knowledge, thought processes and standards than it does about Trump's fitness for office. . Odd that you didn't find the Kennedy Administration a family affair as well.
blatham

Sat 8 Apr, 2017 02:51 pm
@glitterbag,
Indeed. I was referring to the US but your partial list of other nations where such a situation existed does tell us where the US is now.
cicerone imposter

Sat 8 Apr, 2017 02:54 pm
@georgeob1,
I doubt that! Trump's approval rating tells us all we need to know.
hightor

Sat 8 Apr, 2017 02:54 pm
@blatham,
Yeah, how does that song go?
https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwestfordcomp.com%2Fclassics%2Fchiquita%2Fchiquita02.jpg&f=1
0 Replies

georgeob1

Sat 8 Apr, 2017 02:57 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

I doubt that! Trump's approval rating tells us all we need to know.

More likely all you want to know.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Sat 8 Apr, 2017 02:58 pm
@georgeob1,
Alrighty George, you got him, he didn't go all the way back to Jack and Bobbie Kennedy (both murdered) or Ted. No wonder you're so upset, not only that, he's a Canadian, how dare he have an opinion.
blatham

Sat 8 Apr, 2017 03:00 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
You appear to treat every observable feature of Trump as yet another indicator of his supposed unique unfitness.
That is fundamentally dishonest, george. You know that there was no precedent in the breadth and depth among senior American conservatives who sought for months to keep Trump out of office because they deemed him unfit. You even told me (unless I misunderstood your post) that your compatriots at the Bohemian Grove mostly shared my notions of the man. Even if I got that second part wrong, the first point is undeniable. To point at me as being somehow out on the edge is where your dishonesty sits.
georgeob1

Sat 8 Apr, 2017 03:01 pm
@glitterbag,
I'm not upset: merely bemused at the continued obsessive behavior. I don't for a moment think Trump is perfect or anything close to it. I do believe he is the currently best available alternative, and hope for a good outcome. I also have a deep skepticism of those who appear to be sure they alone know what is good for the rest of us.

I've been known to go two, even three days at a time without thinking of Canada.
oralloy

Sat 8 Apr, 2017 03:04 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
Yes! And the continuing refusal of the US to sign on to the treaty to ban them is not excusable.

We're a sovereign nation and have every right to sign or not sign whatever we feel like.
0 Replies

oralloy

Sat 8 Apr, 2017 03:06 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:
Depleted uranium? I know it was used in projectiles but I never heard of it used in cluster munitions.

Me either. And it is legal to use in any case. Although the immediate vicinity of a destroyed tank should certainly be cleaned up as soon as is practical.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Sat 8 Apr, 2017 03:07 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Indeed. I was referring to the US but your partial list of other nations where such a situation existed does tell us where the US is now.

Authoritarian is not something most Americans thought could happen here, At least not in our Government. We hold out hope for the little guy, the Mr. Smiths go to Washington. When I think of institutionalized abuse of power I think Crime families, drug cartels, the old Hollywood studio system and many of the Former Communist dictators.
blatham

Sat 8 Apr, 2017 03:12 pm
@glitterbag,
Quote:
We hold out hope for the little guy, the Mr. Smiths go to Washington

Yes. And even if that is to some degree mythological, it is also to some degree profoundly true. And that's exactly why Trump's pretense to populism is so deeply repugnant.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Sat 8 Apr, 2017 03:12 pm
@georgeob1,
Bemused, huh, well alright, at first I thought you were just being a dick, but sure, why not, bemused, good one.

You might be able to go 3 whole days without thinking of Canada, but you can't seem to go more than a few hours without thinking about Blatham.
blatham

Sat 8 Apr, 2017 03:18 pm
@glitterbag,
Quote:
without thinking about Blatham

Well, I am delightfully thinkable. My mother always said that.
glitterbag

Sat 8 Apr, 2017 03:24 pm
@blatham,
Well, who doesn't think about you all the time? I need to be more understanding of georgeob, we all get carried away sometimes.
georgeob1

@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:
You appear to treat every observable feature of Trump as yet another indicator of his supposed unique unfitness.
That is fundamentally dishonest, george. You know that there was no precedent in the breadth and depth among senior American conservatives who sought for months to keep Trump out of office because they deemed him unfit. You even told me (unless I misunderstood your post) that your compatriots at the Bohemian Grove mostly shared my notions of the man. Even if I got that second part wrong, the first point is undeniable. To point at me as being somehow out on the edge is where your dishonesty sits.

Thank you for the assessment of my "fundamental dishonesty". My perception is that life and politics offer many surprises and a good deal of complexity ( i.e. good mixed with bad and usually unforeseen delayed effects). It's generally wise to observe, continuously revise tentative judgments and make choices when you must. Politicians of every stripe say things that are advantageous to themselves at the moment; "You can keep your doctor". "He's unfit for office", etc. In my experience absolute certainty is usually an indicator of lies, propaganda or stupidity ( I do make an exception for Catholics, however).

I said "most of them" not all. PC bullshit is everywhere. I have noticed however that an increasing number are coming out of that closet and tasting the fresh air. There's a recent addition , a currently fashionable historian who is quite certain and unreformable - in short a jerk.
cicerone imposter

@blatham,
Your mother was a wise woman.
Here's a good lie, George. Trump is a racial and religious bigot.
0 Replies

blatham

Post-truth news from all over
Quote:
A local Georgia radio station has edited out a false claim made in an NRA attack ad about Democratic congressional candidate Jon Ossoff's upbringing, CNN's KFile has learned.

CNN's KFile flagged the NRA Political Victory fund ad on Thursday for incorrectly stating that Ossoff "grew up in Washington, DC."
Ossoff grew up in Georgia's 6th congressional district, where he is running to fill the seat vacated by Tom Price
CNN
Modern conservatives for whom the 9th commandment is no longer operational.
blatham

Sat 8 Apr, 2017 03:31 pm
@georgeob1,
Jesus, george. You can allow yourself to write something like that while so frequently accusing others of sophistry?

You just responded to an empirical, factual claim with a word salad that has all the heft of a ghost's fart.
0 Replies