monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

edgarblythe

Sat 8 Apr, 2017 01:25 pm
I still don't see how the cluster bombs that scatter radiation pellets can be considered less criminal than chemical weapons. Except that America uses them, may be the reason.
edgarblythe

Sat 8 Apr, 2017 01:27 pm
Incidentally, **** all that cheese eater bullshit.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Sat 8 Apr, 2017 01:28 pm
@edgarblythe,
Land mines are a horrific method of warfare that continues to kill and main long after the conflict.
hightor

Sat 8 Apr, 2017 01:36 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
It appears I may have misunderstood your post.

That's not unusual, Finn — irony doesn't translate that well online. But I can't help myself.
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 8 Apr, 2017 01:42 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
I agree with Waldman although I never thought I would ever write those words.
I'm pleased you found his argument compelling. I certainly do. He's a very smart fellow and worthy of attention.

Quote:
I'm sure Trump was moved by the photos he saw.
I expect he was.

Quote:
The man is not a monster despite the hyperbolic idiocy of some of his critics
On that we'd disagree. I think he's some degree of sociopath. Trump University being just one of many pieces of evidence.

Quote:
the primary reasons for the US strike do not include avenging slain babies.
Yes. That would be a logically inconsistent position to hold.
oralloy

Sat 8 Apr, 2017 01:47 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
Why is it more moral to bomb these same kids with conventional bombs? Why is a chemical weapon less moral than American cluster bombs with radiation pellets?
edgarblythe wrote:
I still don't see how the cluster bombs that scatter radiation pellets can be considered less criminal than chemical weapons. Except that America uses them, may be the reason.

What's all this nonsense about radiation pellets?
layman

Sat 8 Apr, 2017 01:49 pm
@Lash,
Quote:
Anybody, including our own state actors, could've gassed Syrians.

Not exactly "anybody" from the sounds of it:

Quote:
“It’s not hard to make sarin. You could mix it in the backyard. Two chemicals melded together.” — Seymour Hersh interviewed on CNN, December 9, 2013. The idea that the chemical warfare agent, sarin, is easy to make is central to Seymour Hersh’s claim that the August 21 attacks killing hundreds of Syrians could have been carried out by the rebel group, the Al Nusra Front.

Hersh’s backyard sarin production appears to be concocted from fiction.

The only non-state actor known to have engaged in large-scale sarin production was the Japanese cult, Aum Shinrikyo. They invested $30 million in this endeavor which included the creation of a production facility.

The plant was a free-standing three-story building, staffed by workers with chemistry and chemical-engineering expertise who designed and built proper process controls. It was a complex, expensive operation, and its production capacity was approximately 2 gallons of sarin per batch.

Dan Kaszeta, a former officer in the U.S. Army Chemical Corps and former member of the U.S. Secret Service, estimates that the August attack would have required one ton of sarin — far more than Aum Shinrikyo was able to produce even with their dedicated facility.

Amy E. Smithson, a researcher on chemical and biological weapons at the Henry L. Stimson Center in Washington, who investigated the Aum Shinrikyo attacks in Japan emphasized that in assessing the capacity of non-state actors to use chemical weapons there is a huge gulf between the “theoretical possibility” and the “operational reality.”

But by almost any standard, Aum Shinrikyo’s chemical weapons program, and an earlier attempt to develop biological agents, failed to produce anything close to the killing power the group desired.

In Aum Shinrikyo’s first attempt to attack a rival group by spraying sarin gas from a moving van, Smithson notes, “the sprayer completely malfunctioned and sprayed backwards.” The second attempt ended up exposing the group’s security chief to the toxic nerve agent.

Most experts believe that 90 percent of any agent sprayed outdoors will not reach its intended targets in lethal form, given the vagaries of temperature, sunlight, wind and rain.

http://warincontext.org/2013/12/11/how-easy-is-it-to-make-sarin/
0 Replies

jcboy

Sat 8 Apr, 2017 01:59 pm
Who makes the Tomahawk missiles? Answer: Raytheon. Who owns stock in Raytheon? Trump.
blatham

Sat 8 Apr, 2017 02:02 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
The Russian, obviously, hoped to influence our election just as we, undoubtedly, try and influence elections around the world. Obama did it openly and with tax dollars as respects Israel.
The US does not have clean hands (Iran, Central and South America, etc). But it does not follow from this set of facts that therefore the US has no good or proper reasons to curtail other nations from trying to influence US elections. What sets this instance apart from past instances is the magnitude of the effort and (arguably) the effectiveness of it (not to mention the consequences of it). And Putin's Russia is not concerned with maintaining a healthy democracy in America - just the opposite.

Quote:
Why they may have preferred Trump over Clinton can be explained in many ways other than "They have him on their strings."
I don't subscribe to the "Putin's puppet" notion but his lack of knowledge and political sophistication sets him up for manipulation (as we've recently seen with others in Trump's circle). Further, I think it is likely the case that his financial ties and connections to the world of Russian oligarchs and criminals compromise his vision and his acts.
Finn dAbuzz

Sat 8 Apr, 2017 02:02 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
On that we'd disagree. I think he's some degree of sociopath. Trump University being just one of many pieces of evidence.

A real monster! Rolling Eyes

Who are your favorite presidents blatham? You know, the non-monsters?

Obama, FDR, Wilson, LBJ?
Finn dAbuzz

Sat 8 Apr, 2017 02:04 pm
@jcboy,
Me too...Exposed!! Shocked

Trump made about $112 on the strike while I only made $0.22
0 Replies

oralloy

Sat 8 Apr, 2017 02:06 pm
@jcboy,
jcboy wrote:
Who makes the Tomahawk missiles? Answer: Raytheon. Who owns stock in Raytheon? Trump.

It's a good stock to invest in.
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 8 Apr, 2017 02:10 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
You are a late comer to the critics of the Rules of War, and you know it.
I'm not quite sure what motivated that comment. The reason I posted Waldman's piece was simply because it was very bright as regards how photographs of chemical weapons victims are going to be published here whereas victims of conventional weapons are far less likely to be published (for the reasons he states). It's a notion that hadn't occurred to me previously but it's obviously so.

I have not in any thorough or organized manner dug into the issue of the rules of war. That's not been an area of study. But that's not to say I have no familiarity with some of these issues, obviously.
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 8 Apr, 2017 02:16 pm
@glitterbag,
Quote:
Land mines are a horrific method of warfare that continues to kill and main long after the conflict.

Yes! And the continuing refusal of the US to sign on to the treaty to ban them is not excusable.
blatham

Sat 8 Apr, 2017 02:25 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
Who are your favorite presidents blatham? You know, the non-monsters?
Obama, FDR, Wilson, LBJ?

Easier to list the pathological cases. Nixon and Trump (and Cheney). No one else to my mind. Incompetence is something else. Advisers and key cabinet people also something else (eg Richard Perle). Lesser figures, something else (eg Wallace, McCarthy, Meese, Gingrich).
cicerone imposter

Sat 8 Apr, 2017 02:29 pm
@blatham,
What makes Trump unique is that he made his administration a family affair.
layman

Sat 8 Apr, 2017 02:30 pm
Figures, sho nuff:

Quote:
Progressive activists say they’re dismayed that senior congressional Democrats aren’t more strongly condemning President Donald Trump’s strikes against Syria on Thursday night.

Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-NY) called punishing Syria’s Bashar al-Assad “the right thing to do,” and House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) labeled the strikes a “proportional response.”

But left-wing organizers want Schumer and Pelosi pushing back more strongly. “We are calling on all congressional leaders to call for emergency deliberations on Trump’s illegal escalation in Syria. Anything short of that will show that Democrats are completely out of touch with the base of their party.”

“[Democrats] haven’t done nearly enough — they need to explicitly call out that this was a reckless military action that does not make us more safe...

http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/4/7/15218644/democrats-trump-syria-left

One minute these cheese-eaters are suggesting that the U.S. is "immoral" for not escalating military action, the next their only concern is with their own safety, morality be damned, and attacking Trump for trying to help the kids.

Go figure, eh?

Quote:
Anything short of that will show that Democrats are completely out of touch with the base of their party.”

Well, at least they got one thing right. These fanatical left-wing radicals are indeed the "base" of the Democratic Party these days.
hightor

Sat 8 Apr, 2017 02:33 pm
@oralloy,
Depleted uranium? I know it was used in projectiles but I never heard of it used in cluster munitions.
hightor

Sat 8 Apr, 2017 02:37 pm
@layman,
Yeah, Lay-fellow — the Trumpster's got everyone dancing to a different tune!

https://i.redditmedia.com/dat8uXQQoi8DX69SQsgzGWuDY5r2F_d_bK0H0nt3aMs.jpg?w=1024&s=446d25e87211b3b5efa9c80a94fdc22c
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 8 Apr, 2017 02:39 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
What makes Trump unique is that he made his administration a family affair.
I don't know of another such case. But that is just one aspect that makes Trump uniquely unfit/unethical, as you are aware.