monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

thack45

Thu 6 Apr, 2017 06:02 pm
@layman,
Well.. I had heard that Xi's givin it to the prez right about now, though trump don't know it yet; assad's cuppin and a cuddlin putin's balls, and mr ivanka trump goes without lube when puttin bannon over a barrel
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 6 Apr, 2017 06:30 pm
@cicerone imposter,
The time is far less the issue than the claim about his achievements in office so far. I was talking with a lawyer up here today who travels down through the states a lot and loves the US and he was beside himself with disgust at what Trump is doing to America's reputation around the world.
cicerone imposter

Thu 6 Apr, 2017 06:32 pm
@blatham,
Trump has confused many of our allies. He still doesn't understand that talking as the president of the most powerful country in the world is much different than making property deals.
jcboy

Thu 6 Apr, 2017 06:34 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Hillary Clinton & John McCain were among the first to solicit congressional support for the Wounded Warriors Project but Trump ignores all that. Instead, he thanks Bush and himself for stepping in after the fact. What a dolt Cool
cicerone imposter

Thu 6 Apr, 2017 06:35 pm
@jcboy,
This is the guy who complained about Clinton's playing golf.
http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2017/03/26/trump_has_gone_to_a_golf_course_at_least_13_times_in_nine_week_presidency.html
0 Replies

nimh

Thu 6 Apr, 2017 06:47 pm
@blatham,
You do me wrong, Blatham.

This guy would be much closer to reality, obviously:

thack45

Thu 6 Apr, 2017 06:48 pm
An interesting bit from NPR

Quote:
President Trump came into office promising big disruptive changes in the way America defined its role in the world. American foreign policy would no longer be aspirational — it would be transactional. "What's in it for us?" would guide the new "America First" approach. Human rights? Downgraded. America as an idea, a beacon of freedom to tired, huddled masses? Been there, done that. Promoting democratic values as a way to strengthen America's own economic and national security? Nope. Trump just didn't see the connection. But as the new president is finding out, things happen. Chemical weapons are used. Missiles are fired. And the world's greatest superpower has to respond.

Is Trump's Foreign Policy Evolving?
georgeob1

Thu 6 Apr, 2017 06:58 pm
@thack45,
Interesting that NPR didn't respond that way to Obama's failure to act on h1s own loudly proclaimed "red Line" when Assad first killed hundreds of civilians with Saran gas.
thack45

Thu 6 Apr, 2017 07:02 pm
@georgeob1,
Is it
0 Replies

layman

Thu 6 Apr, 2017 07:07 pm
@thack45,
Quote:

'STEPS ARE UNDER WAY' Coalition forming to target Syria's Assad: Sec. of State Tillerson

America’s top diplomat addressed the Syria crisis a day after Trump declared in the Rose Garden that the chemical strike would not be tolerated. Tillerson pointedly said Russia should “consider carefully” its support for the Assad regime...

“It's a serious matter, it requires a serious response,” Tillerson said, adding the recent attack “violates all previous U.N. resolutions, violates international norms and long-held agreements.”

There are currently two U.S. Navy warships in the eastern Mediterranean -- the USS Ross and USS Porter -- which could be called upon to strike in Syria if requested, multiple defense officials told Fox News.

On Thursday, McCain and Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., issued a joint statement asserting that “the latest use of chemical weapons” by the government of Assad requires action, calling for Trump to take out Syria’s air force.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/04/06/tillerson-says-coalition-forming-to-target-assad-trump-hearing-military-options.html

Sounds like there's some middle-eastern pervs who are gunna get themselves blown plumb the **** up, eh!?

Assad called Obama's cards, and he folded. Assad won that hand easily.

He may regret his assumption that Trump is all bluff, too.
thack45

Thu 6 Apr, 2017 07:16 pm
@layman,
Looks that way.. Just announced
layman

Thu 6 Apr, 2017 07:26 pm
@layman,
Sho nuff!

Quote:
U.S. Launches Missiles at Syrian Base After Chemical Weapons Attack

The United States launched dozens of cruise missiles Thursday night at a Syrian airfield in response to what it believes was the Syrian government's use of banned chemical weapons blamed for having killed at least 100 people on Tuesday, U.S. military officials told NBC News.

Two U.S. warships in the Mediterranean Sea fired at least 50 Tomahawk missiles intended for a single target — Ash Sha'irat in Homs province in western Syria, the officials said. That's the airfield from which the United States believes the government of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad fired the banned weapons.

There was no immediate word on casualties. U.S. officials told NBC News that people were not targeted and that aircraft and infrastructure at the site, including the runway, were hit.

NBC News reported Thursday that Defense Secretary James Mattis briefed President Donald Trump on U.S. military options, which included carrying out targeted strikes against those responsible for Tuesday's attack.

There was no immediate reaction from Russia, which Tillerson and Haley have accused of turning a blind eye to Syria's transgressions.

"Russia cannot escape responsibility for this," Haley said at the United Nations. "They chose to close their eyes to the barbarity. They defied the conscience of the world."

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/u-s-launches-missiles-syrian-base-after-chemical-weapons-attack-n743636

I don't get it, though. Trump is Putin's puppet. Why is Putin doing this?
0 Replies

georgeob1

Thu 6 Apr, 2017 07:26 pm
@thack45,
Indeed it does. Just announced the Navy has launched a number of Tomahawk cruise missiles at selected targets in Syria. More will likely follow, and I expect we will see the insertion of spec ops teams into Syria as well, perhaps even a carrier deployment for sustained ops.

Big contrast with the hapless, anti-Western-Civilization, racist Obama.
revelette1

Thu 6 Apr, 2017 07:33 pm
Regardless of partisan comments, I support the actions taken today against Syria.
georgeob1

Thu 6 Apr, 2017 07:37 pm
@revelette1,
Did you advocate a military response two years ago when after issuing a "red line" warning about the use of chemical weapons, Assad wiped out the civilian of a Syrian town with Saran gas and Obama did nothing at all? I don't recall you doing so,
0 Replies

thack45

@georgeob1,
Yeah, and how about that Warren Harding? Gee-ee-ee-whiz!
0 Replies

layman

Quote:
Two U.S. warships in the Mediterranean Sea fired at least 50 Tomahawk missiles intended for a single target--the airfield from which the United States believes the government of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad fired the banned weapons.

U.S. officials told NBC News that people were not targeted and that aircraft and infrastructure at the site, including the runway, were hit.

Mad Dog and his homeys aint stupid, eh?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Thu 6 Apr, 2017 07:39 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

Indeed it does. Just announced the Navy has launched a number of Tomahawk cruise missiles at selected targets in Syria. More will likely follow, and I expect we will see the insertion of spec ops teams into Syria as well, perhaps even a carrier deployment for sustained ops.

Big contrast with the hapless, anti-Western-Civilization, racist Obama.

Obama has killed at least as many Muslims as any president.
I had hoped the next president would seek some way to break the generational cycle of war, but he is as warmonger as they come. Then, Hillary today gave her take on what the asshole should bomb in Syria.
edgarblythe

Thu 6 Apr, 2017 07:42 pm
As far as I am concerned, no president I could name was worth a crap in that part of the world. Each one compounds the mistakes of the last.
layman

Thu 6 Apr, 2017 07:49 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

As far as I am concerned, no president I could name was worth a crap in that part of the world. Each one compounds the mistakes of the last.

Trump will change all that. He'll nuke the whole damn middle east (Israel excepted) and be done with it--well, except for slidin in to scoop up the oil, I mean. Afganistan, Pakistan, and a bunch of African countries will be next.