monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

revelette1

Wed 5 Apr, 2017 09:51 am
Quote:
Bannon Removed From National Security Council Role in Shakeup

President Donald Trump reorganized his National Security Council on Wednesday, removing his chief strategist, Stephen Bannon, and downgrading the role of his Homeland Security Adviser, Tom Bossert, according to a person familiar with the decision and a regulatory filing.

National Security Adviser H.R. McMaster was given responsibility for setting the agenda for meetings of the NSC or the Homeland Security Council, and was authorized to delegate that authority to Bossert, at his discretion, according to the filing.

Under the move, the national intelligence director, Dan Coats, and the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Marine Corps General Joseph Dunford, are again "regular attendees" of the NSC’s principals committee.
Bannon, the former executive chairman of Breitbart News, was elevated to the National Security Council’s principals committee at the beginning of Trump’s presidency.

The move drew criticism from some members of Congress and Washington’s foreign policy establishment.

Bloomberg
Below viewing threshold (view)
Below viewing threshold (view)
nimh

Wed 5 Apr, 2017 10:03 am
@McGentrix,
If you believe Layman is actually black... I mean, who knows, but count me a sceptic. I don't actually look like my profile pic either, you know?
old europe

Wed 5 Apr, 2017 10:25 am
@revelette1,
An obvious demotion of Bannon, and a clear victory for McMaster. Interesting.

Quote:
Trump Removes Stephen Bannon From National Security Council Post

WASHINGTON — President Trump reshuffled his national security organization on Wednesday, removing his chief strategist, Stephen K. Bannon, from a top policy-making committee and restoring senior military and intelligence officials who had been downgraded when he first came into office.

The shift was orchestrated by Lt. Gen. H.R. McMaster, who was tapped as Mr. Trump’s national security adviser after the resignation of Michael T. Flynn, who stepped down in February after being caught misleading Vice President Mike Pence and other White House officials about his contacts with Russia’s ambassador.

General McMaster inherited an organizational scheme for the National Security Council that stirred protests because of Mr. Bannon’s role. The original setup made Mr. Bannon, the former chairman of Breitbart News, a member of the principals committee that typically includes cabinet-level officials like the vice president, secretary of state and defense secretary. The original order also made the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and the director of national intelligence only occasional participants as issues demanded.

Critics said Mr. Bannon’s presence in a national security policy-making structure risked politicizing foreign policy.

A new order issued by Mr. Trump, dated Tuesday and made public on Wednesday, removes Mr. Bannon from the principals committee, restores the chairman of the Joint Chiefs and intelligence director and also adds the energy secretary, C.I.A. director and United Nations ambassador.

A senior White House official presented the move as a logical evolution, not a setback for Mr. Bannon. He had originally been put on the principals committee to keep an eye on Mr. Flynn and to “de-operationalize” the N.S.C. after the Obama administration, this official said on condition of anonymity to discuss internal dynamics. This official said that process had been completed.

But the reorganization seemed a clear victory for General McMaster as he struggles to assert control over national security. In addition to the changing membership of the principals committee, the new order also puts the Homeland Security Council under General McMaster rather than making it a separate entity, as Mr. Trump’s original order had done.
cicerone imposter

Wed 5 Apr, 2017 10:31 am
@old europe,
All these shuffling isn't going to help Trump's approval rating. It's going to stay below 40%. His disapproval is hovering at 55%, and I suspect that's where it's going to stay.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Wed 5 Apr, 2017 10:35 am
@glitterbag,
Gosh ! Do you have a remedy??
cicerone imposter

Wed 5 Apr, 2017 10:40 am
@georgeob1,
Yes. Impeach Trump for incompetence.
https://www.google.com/amp/thehill.com/opinion/letters/327279-low-approval-will-drive-trump-to-resign-before-he-is-impeached%3Famp
georgeob1

Wed 5 Apr, 2017 10:42 am
@nimh,
nimh wrote:

If you believe Layman is actually black... I mean, who knows, but count me a sceptic. I don't actually look like my profile pic either, you know?

Layman uses the patois effectively make a point, and I do get a kick out of it. Makes no difference to me what may be its origin.

All we know about anyone here is what they write - except in the few cases where folks have met each other. I suspect Layman may be kraut like Walter, or perhaps a good looking smart easy going Irishman like..... well never mind..
0 Replies

McGentrix

Wed 5 Apr, 2017 10:42 am
@nimh,
nimh wrote:

So, you believe that he isn't black?
Olivier5

Wed 5 Apr, 2017 10:50 am
@McGentrix,
I doubt Lay is black, and even if he was, it does not follow that none of his ancestor willingly came to the US.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Wed 5 Apr, 2017 11:06 am
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

Gosh ! Do you have a remedy??

I defer you georgeob, you're the biggest know it all on the thread. By the way, being entertained by someone mocking (poorly) a patois he imagines might be used 'somewhere' by (gosh, I can't imagine what kind of) people ranks right up there with 'watermelon and fried chicken' witticisms.

In case no one else recognizes the picture displayed as someones avatar, allow me to help. That's John Lee Hooker, an American Blues singer who died June 21, 2001.
McGentrix

Wed 5 Apr, 2017 11:37 am
Democrats can save the Senate or ruin it

Quote:
I have studied the U.S. Senate my entire professional life. All of my academic leaves since 1975 have been spent in the offices of senators — Democrats and Republicans. All of my research is based on interviews with senators. I wrote a modestly successful book that compared the Senate with the House and found the former to be a superior institution because of its historic responsibility to be the more deliberative and thoughtful chamber. One need only think back a week to the Obamacare repeal debacle in the House to appreciate the difference between the two.

Now the Senate Democrats want to take a step that weakens the Senate, impairs its ability to temper the impulsiveness of the House and, worse, further advantages the presidency at the expense of Congress — a lethal blow to the hallowed doctrine of separation of powers.

I understand the Democrats' anger at the unconscionable treatment of Judge Merrick Garland last year based upon a bogus doctrine put forth by Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell that no Supreme Court nominees be confirmed in the last year of a presidency. I also get the seething resentment in the Democratic Party base at the reckless acts of President Trump and its desire not to reward him with a seat on the Supreme Court, even though his nominee seems to fall well within the normal range of choices that would be made by a Republican president.

The Democrats could do a lot worse, and they will when the next vacancy occurs. By forcing McConnell to invoke the "nuclear option" of killing the filibuster, which blocks Senate business until 60 of the 100 senators vote to move on, they will lose on Judge Neil Gorsuch and on the next seat if it comes up during Trump's time in the White House. They will have handed the president two justices, and they will disable the Senate's emergency brake on all judicial nominations.

What makes my opposition to the Democrats' filibuster of Gorsuch so painful is that I find myself in opposition to the two senators with whom I have felt the closest: former Senate minority leader Harry Reid, who first invoked the nuclear option in 2013, and Sen. Patrick Leahy, the longest-serving Democrat and a revered figure who, I know, has agonized over his decision to give the Democrats the 41 votes to block consideration of the Gorsuch nomination. But I can't allow my fondness for these two friends to constrain me from speaking out against what I consider a historic mistake.

When the men who wrote the Constitution created the Senate, they gave senators terms of six years to shield them from the very public indignation to which they are now, apparently, about to succumb. This reveals in these Democrats a sad lack of fortitude in the face of pressure. They are, moreover, yielding to the same fear that has intimidated so many of their Republican colleagues: becoming the victim of a primary election challenge from the most ideological members of their own party. It makes a person wonder whether a seat in the chamber is so precious that the overturning of a device that makes the Senate the Senate can be contemplated, much less acted on.

Were the Democratic senators to heed my advice and pull back from filibustering the consideration of Gorsuch, I could not promise them that it would initiate a golden age of bipartisanship; the cleavage in this country runs too deep. But those with the courage to reconsider would have the satisfaction of knowing that they did not erode the foundations of an institution that has always served as a bulwark against an aggressive presidency whose encroachments right now are very much to be feared.

Ross K. Baker is a distinguished professor of political science at Rutgers University and a member of USA TODAY's Board of Contributors.
0 Replies

revelette1

Wed 5 Apr, 2017 11:41 am
@old europe,
Quote:
He had originally been put on the principals committee to keep an eye on Mr. Flynn?

Why would Bannon had to have kept his eye on Flynn? Did they already know he lied before being informed of it?
izzythepush

Wed 5 Apr, 2017 12:09 pm
@revelette1,
None of these self serving gits trust one another. The similarities with the Nazis keep piling up.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Wed 5 Apr, 2017 12:13 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:
So, you believe that he isn't black?

Clearly he's not, it's flaming obvious. If you're daft enough to believe a racist stereotype is actually black it explains why you were daft enough to vote for Trump, and why you're daft enough to still believe the horseshit about making America great again.
cicerone imposter

Wed 5 Apr, 2017 12:15 pm
@izzythepush,
I don't get it; what does "make America great again" mean?
izzythepush

Wed 5 Apr, 2017 12:16 pm
@glitterbag,
I know why. Free lobotomy with every Big Mac sounds like a good deal if you think a lobotomy is some sort of beverage.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Wed 5 Apr, 2017 12:19 pm
@cicerone imposter,
It means nothing, it's a platitude designed to appeal to stupid racists who hate the idea of having had a black president. This side of the pond we have the similarly meaningless "red white and blue Brexit," aimed at the same demographic.
Walter Hinteler

Wed 5 Apr, 2017 12:27 pm
@izzythepush,
That part of the British heritage - the Luddite rebellion - seems to happen again, everywhere, with slightly different directions ...