monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

RABEL222

Thu 30 Mar, 2017 03:11 pm
@Builder,
You and gunga have to be related as much as you both post B S.
jcboy

Thu 30 Mar, 2017 03:21 pm
LOL. When a party who holds majority control in all 3 branches (and both houses) of Government must take such gallant strides to reassure their voters that everything is running smoothly, I think the edge is nearer than they think. Cool

McConnell guarantees Gorsuch will be confirmed on April 7

Quote:
Neil Gorsuch will be confirmed to the Supreme Court on April 7, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell guaranteed on Tuesday.

“He’ll be on the floor of the Senate next week and confirmed on Friday,” McConnell told reporters. “We are optimistic that [Democrats] will not be successful in keeping this good man from joining the Supreme Court real soon.”

old europe

Thu 30 Mar, 2017 03:34 pm
@McGentrix,
The Iran-United States Claims Tribunal has existed since 1981, and has settled thousands of claims from both sides. In the course of the last 36 years, the American side has received ~$2.5 billion from the Iranian side.

Feel free to dispute whether or not this particular payment was justified, but if you think all of this is some great conspiracy theory, then you clearly don't get out much.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Thu 30 Mar, 2017 03:44 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Wrong, the modern day military still uses and issues shotguns but they are mostly used as a secondary weapon and not a primary weapon.

Still in active service:
M500, M590, and M590A1 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mossberg_500
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Thu 30 Mar, 2017 03:45 pm
@jcboy,
You have to give credit where credit is due; Gorsuch knows how to play the cat and mouse game. He never commits himself to reveal his conservative leanings - his past words and actions. He sounds like a liberal in sheep's clothing.
ossobucotemp

Thu 30 Mar, 2017 04:13 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Football coach Jim Harbaugh, whom I admit to liking for US football reasons, in the pros or with universities, has a take on Trump's budget:

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/03/jim-harbaugh-politics-michigan-football-coach-trump-budget-214948

I enjoyed reading it, strongly agree with him re the legal scene in the US.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Thu 30 Mar, 2017 04:13 pm
@glitterbag,
That's the central theme of this Bernie Gunther book.

https://rosemarysbookreview.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/a-man-without-breath.jpg
0 Replies

Builder

Thu 30 Mar, 2017 04:38 pm
@RABEL222,
Quote:
You and gunga have to be related as much as you both post B S.

I'm getting to like you, more and more.
0 Replies

revelette1

Thu 30 Mar, 2017 05:07 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Maybe he donned his sheep clothing at the hearings (didn't bother watching it) but, not everywhere else.

Quote:

SCOTUS nominee Neil Gorsuch said women 'manipulate' maternity leave, Boulder graduates say.

Supreme Court nominee Judge Neil Gorsuch told law students that "many" female job seekers abuse maternity leave and must disclose plans to become pregnant, a former student has alleged.

The federal judge told a University of Colorado Law School class last year that companies should "ask females about their family and pregnancy plans to protect the company," according to a letter former student Jennifer Sisk wrote to the U.S. Senate Judiciary Committee.

Sisk said Gorsuch, a visiting professor at Boulder, posed a hypothetical scenario in a Legal Ethics and Professionalism class in April that debated if a married job candidate with student debt should disclose to a potential employer that she wants to start a family.

"He asked the class to raise their hands if they knew of a female who had used a company to get maternity benefits and then left right after having a baby," Sisk wrote

When only a fraction of the classroom acknowledged such a tactic, Gorsuch scoffed.

"C'mon guys," Gorsuch allegedly replied, adding that more students should have raised their hands.

Daily News
0 Replies

revelette1

Thu 30 Mar, 2017 05:10 pm
Quote:
Flynn offers to testify on Russia ties in exchange for immunity: report

Former National Security Advisor Michael Flynn has reportedly told the Federal Bureau of Investigation that he is willing to testify in the investigation of the Trump campaign's potential ties to Russia, in exchange for immunity from prosecution, according to a Wall Street Journal report.

Flynn resigned in February, after it was reported that he misled White House staff on his interactions with Russia and had discussed sanctions with Russian officials ahead of President Trump's inauguration.

He had previously denied that he discussed sanctions against Russia for election-related hacking with a Russian ambassador Sergey Kislyak.

This breaking report will be updated.

The Hill
old europe

Thu 30 Mar, 2017 05:23 pm
@revelette1,
And from the Wall Street Journal:

Quote:
Mike Flynn Offers to Testify in Exchange for Immunity

Former national security adviser tells FBI, the House and Senate intelligence committees he’s willing to be interviewed in exchange for deal, officials say

WASHINGTON—Mike Flynn, President Donald Trump’s former national security adviser, has told the Federal Bureau of Investigation and congressional officials investigating the Trump campaign’s potential ties to Russia that he is willing to be interviewed in exchange for a grant of immunity from prosecution, according to officials with knowledge of the matter.

As an adviser to Mr. Trump’s presidential campaign, and later one of Mr. Trump’s top aides in the White House, Mr. Flynn was privy to some of the most sensitive foreign-policy deliberations of the new administration and was directly involved in discussions about the possible lifting of sanctions on Russia imposed by the Obama administration.

He has made the offer to the FBI and the House and Senate intelligence committees through his lawyer but has so far found no takers, the officials said.

Mr. Flynn’s attorney, Robert Kelner, declined to comment.

It wasn’t clear if Mr. Flynn had offered to talk about specific aspects of his time working for Mr. Trump, but the fact that he was seeking immunity suggested Mr. Flynn feels he may be in legal jeopardy following his brief stint as the national security adviser, one official said.

Mr. Flynn was forced to resign after acknowledging that he misled White House officials about the nature of his phone conversations with the Russian ambassador to the U.S. during the presidential transition.

[...]
0 Replies

roger

Thu 30 Mar, 2017 05:29 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Guess you never served in the military. They don't issue shotguns.

When did they stop? I did familiarization with the 12ga trench gun when I was tapped for a 30 day stint as prison guard at Ft. Knox. The 30 day thing somehow morphed into something like three months.

Just by the way, if I had a question on shotguns, I would direct it to Gunga.
layman

Thu 30 Mar, 2017 05:49 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

If you're referring to the plane load of cash, that was Iran's money. We returned it to them.

Oh, yeah, right, eh? We "returned it" to them in secret, illegal CASH payments.

It was not "their" money. It was ours, confiscated for valid reasons which warranted such sanctions.

Nice try, cheese-eater.

Every criminal who was ever assessed with a fine could demand "his" money back because...well, because it's HIS, eh?

I don't think so! Homey don't play dat.
Lash

Thu 30 Mar, 2017 05:52 pm
When was my impeachment date??
layman

Thu 30 Mar, 2017 05:57 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

When was my impeachment date??

Whatever it was, it's wrong, Hunnychile.

Trump aint NEVER gunna be impeached.
0 Replies

thack45

Thu 30 Mar, 2017 06:00 pm
@layman,
That reminds me, I gotta check dates in the fridge
layman

Thu 30 Mar, 2017 06:06 pm
@thack45,
Meanwhile, back at the oasis, Georgeob was eating his date under a fig tree.
thack45

Thu 30 Mar, 2017 06:15 pm
@layman,
I have got.. a lot of cheese
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Thu 30 Mar, 2017 06:16 pm
@roger,
Just checked the net, and found the US military does have shotguns.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atchisson_Assault_Shotgun
When I served in the USAF in the late fifties, we never heard of the military using shotguns, but I never researched the subject.
In the Air Force, we were trained on using the carbine and 38s. In Morocco, we had 38s while we worked with nukes.
Builder

Thu 30 Mar, 2017 06:17 pm
@cicerone imposter,
The theatre of war had changed a lot, CI.

More close-quarters geurilla-style gunfighting.

Shotguns make a lot of sense.