monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

Walter Hinteler

Tue 28 Mar, 2017 01:22 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
American media apparently hasn't bothered to report this, but one of Trump's expanded DroneStrikes nailed Zaid Khayr!
That was reported one month ago, even in local papers. (NYT reported it on the 26th)
From wikipedia
Quote:
Reports surfaced on 26 February 2017 that al-Masri had been killed in a U.S. drone strike on his car in al-Mastoume in the Syrian province of Idlib.[11] There was no immediate official confirmation from either the United States or al-Qaeda.[6][12] However, The Guardian journalists Tom McCarthy and Martin Chulov later reported that jihadist leaders confirmed that al-Masri was in fact killed in the drone strike.[13] The US airstrike also killed another Tahrir al-Sham militant traveling in the same car.[2][1] A US intelligence official as well as Al-Qaeda later confirmed that he had been killed in the strike.[14][15]
Baldimo

Tue 28 Mar, 2017 01:28 pm
@old europe,
Quote:
That's really a question about the quality of those statements.

Didn't you say in an earlier post:
Quote:
Nah, I don't subscribe to the idea that there's a hierarchy of lies, and that we should only be outraged by the particularly big whoppers.

It would seem by your above statement that you do subscribe to a "hierarchy of lies".

Quote:
It's failing to deliver on campaign promises vs. purposefully lying in order to detract, to falsely claim someone else's success as your own, to attack and to smear opponents.

It might be true for some of the current coverage, but you have to be honest, the media has been all over Trump since the election, even before he had taken office, the media was more concerned with the protesters and their claims then they were a newly elected President. It's been a media scam from the start and Trump hasn't helped himself in the least. He needs his twitter account taken away.
thack45

Tue 28 Mar, 2017 01:29 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Lol. The haymakers keep on coming
0 Replies

ehBeth

Tue 28 Mar, 2017 01:31 pm
@oralloy,
Two weeks after the Guardian report, Fox reports

Quote:
ZAID KHAYR, operational leader: At large. Presumed dead.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/03/08/al-qaida-most-wanted-dead-captured-and-at-large.html

Did Fox get it wrong and the Guardian get it right?

(NBC shows the same status as Fox)

___

Reuters and the BBC reference Abu al-Khayr al-Masri , not Zaid Khayr. There is not agreement about whether they are the same person.
thack45

Tue 28 Mar, 2017 01:33 pm
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:

Quote:
That's really a question about the quality of those statements.

Didn't you say in an earlier post:
Quote:
Nah, I don't subscribe to the idea that there's a hierarchy of lies, and that we should only be outraged by the particularly big whoppers.

It would seem by your above statement that you do subscribe to a "hierarchy of lies".

Quote:
It's failing to deliver on campaign promises vs. purposefully lying in order to detract, to falsely claim someone else's success as your own, to attack and to smear opponents.

It might be true for some of the current coverage, but you have to be honest, the media has been all over Trump since the election, even before he had taken office, the media was more concerned with the protesters and their claims then they were a newly elected President. It's been a media scam from the start and Trump hasn't helped himself in the least. He needs his twitter account taken away.

Of course they have. The old guy's been a total cock smear since announcing his candidacy
0 Replies

ehBeth

Tue 28 Mar, 2017 01:33 pm
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:
Trump hasn't helped himself in the least. He needs his twitter account taken away.

those two statements are definitely true
0 Replies

oralloy

Tue 28 Mar, 2017 01:36 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:
That was reported one month ago, even in local papers. (NYT reported it on the 26th)

It certainly wasn't reported in anything I heard.

Great news though. Now we need to dronestrike AAA and Saif al-Adel (both reportedly also in Syria). That'll gut al-Qa'ida of their last senior operatives.
oralloy

Tue 28 Mar, 2017 01:44 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
Two weeks after the Guardian report, Fox reports

Quote:
ZAID KHAYR, operational leader: At large. Presumed dead.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/03/08/al-qaida-most-wanted-dead-captured-and-at-large.html

Did Fox get it wrong and the Guardian get it right?

That is from 2013.

ehBeth wrote:
Reuters and the BBC reference Abu al-Khayr al-Masri , not Zaid Khayr. There is not agreement about whether they are the same person.

I say they are the same person.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Tue 28 Mar, 2017 01:48 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
It certainly wasn't reported in anything I heard.
Well, according to google it really was published in all major media.

Edit: I just scanned through "pressreader": it was published in most local and regional papers as well)
cicerone imposter

Tue 28 Mar, 2017 01:51 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Trump didn't hear about it either.
https://www.usnews.com/dims4/USNEWS/839b263/2147483647/resize/1200x%3E/quality/85/?url=%2Fcmsmedia%2F61%2F27%2F60564c6e49eeafb55c21ad6b46b7%2Fthumb.jpg
0 Replies

oralloy

Tue 28 Mar, 2017 01:54 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Edit: I just scanned through "pressreader": it was published in most local and regional papers as well)

Was it on the PBS Newshour? If so I must have missed it.
thack45

Tue 28 Mar, 2017 02:00 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

Walter Hinteler wrote:

Was it on the PBS Newshour? If so I must have missed it.

http://mlb.mlb.com/images/3/4/2/72690342/041914_colon_swings_2_27g6inde.gif
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 28 Mar, 2017 02:03 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
I miss that guy a lot.

No kidding. I think of Timberlandko a lot. On all the boards I've been active at over the years, there is a handful, maybe two, of conservatives I've bumped into who were sane, thoughtful, educated, kind and with a sense of humor. He was one of those few. I loved the guy.
hightor

Tue 28 Mar, 2017 02:04 pm
@McGentrix,
Edit - crap, hit the "reply" tab mistakenly - mobile - here's the entire post.

As far as the "16 fake news stories" go, most of these examples don't really fit the current understanding of the term. Some of them are just rumors gone viral; it's not as if some miscreant at the NY Times deliberately concocted something he knew to be false and put the story out there. Reporting the existence and substance of rumors is legitimate; claiming them to be true is not.

Other examples, such as the election hacking one were legitimate in the sense that there really were computer scientists and election lawyers making the claim. NY Magazine didn't make up the story. They should have investigated the claims more thoroughly but when I read through the original report I quickly realized that I didn't know enough about computers or statistics to determine whether it was true- or even believable. Neither did they. Sloppy journalism, yes. "Fake news", no. And anyway, I haven't heard anyone making this claim anymore - it didn't have legs.

The MLK bust story - hey, the guy was there, he didn't see the thing and figured it'd been removed. Again, sloppy journalism, but Time didn't " make up" the story - they ran it because they didn't bother corroborating their reporter's eye witness account.

These mistaken accounts, published in the mainstream press, would never have amounted to much without the forwarding and retweeting on the web. That's why they resemble "fake news". But the stories weren't simply made up by the MSM to make Donald Trump look bad. The tall tales spun by East European and Russian hackers and distributed to independent websites along with many other similarly fictional stories are of a different order - they are lies, meant to deceive.

I don't blame Trump supporters for pointing out errors and decrying their wide propgation. Bad reporting and mistaken accounts should be identified and corrected. But don't label them "fake news", which is a completely different phenomenon.
blatham

Tue 28 Mar, 2017 02:12 pm
Quote:
Amanda Terkel‏Verified account @aterkel 22m22 minutes ago
Ivanka Trump: We want more women in STEM and space!

Trump budget: [Axes NASA office that gets women into science] http://huff.to/2o80dFJ
0 Replies

georgeob1

Tue 28 Mar, 2017 02:31 pm
@blatham,
And he's a campmate of mine. !
hightor

Tue 28 Mar, 2017 02:34 pm
@McGentrix,
Quote:
Jesus could have run as a Republican and had a less than 50% approval on Gallup this early in the cycle.

Antisemitism no doubt.
snood

Tue 28 Mar, 2017 02:38 pm
Jesus would probably be targeted as a terrorist.
cicerone imposter

Tue 28 Mar, 2017 02:47 pm
@hightor,
Not only anti-Semitism: Racial bigotry and religious bigotry. Trump is now the spokesman for that ilk.
He's careful about anti-Semitism because of his daughter's husband. He's fooling very few if they heard his own words about Muslims and Mexicans. Add to that his bigotry against blacks. His bigotry is in his DNA.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2017/01/09/democratic-senators-must-press-nominees-on-donald-trump-s-bigotry.html
McGentrix

Tue 28 Mar, 2017 02:54 pm
@hightor,
I figured there would be more to the post.

If you look at a lot of the "Pinocchio's" that fact-check uses you will see an equal amount of overzealous journalists trying desperately to give whatever Trump says the appearance of lies.

2 examples come to mind without going to Google... Once, on the Howard Stern show, Trump gave a throw-away statement that was basically "eh, whatever " in regards to the war in Iraq. That was repeatedly used against Trump in the lead up to the election. Do you remember that? I really was a throw away comment to move the conversation along.

Now, one of the big Pinocchio's is that Trump predicted Brexit in a tweet and because he didn't swear on his mother's grave and sign an affidavit that he meant it, he gets tagged for lying that he said he predicted Brexit... This is the kind of **** that just makes his supporters more angry. the press want to have it both ways. Trump is just always wrong in their opinion no matter what he says... It just ain't true.

Look at the majority of people here... I doubt Trump could say or do anything that would sway them at all. They are just that oposed to him and the Republican party. It doesn't matter that the Republicans control so much of government because that's how the citizens want it right now.

Especially the foreigners. Hell, this thread alone should be an indicator of the hate and vitriol for Trump out there... It's sad. And a bit pathetic really. Not even their President...