monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

Olivier5

Mon 27 Mar, 2017 12:33 am
@ossobucotemp,
Why oh why did she have to pay the dickhead a visit?... Morbid curiosity for the utterly abject?
0 Replies

Debra Law

Mon 27 Mar, 2017 12:37 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

I don't know yet what if anything to make of this:
JUST IN: All 8 Supreme Court Justices Stand In Solidarity Against Trump SCOTUS Pick
http://bipartisanreport.com/2017/03/26/just-in-all-8-supreme-court-justices-stand-in-solidarity-against-trump-scotus-pick/

The writer of this article was wrong: The Supreme Court justices did not write a LETTER. The writer apparently read other news reports and was confused about the subject matter. The Supreme Court issued a unanimous OPINION on a pending case.

Chief Justice Roberts authored the opinion, which was joined by all other Supreme Court justices, reversing a 10th Circuit ruling on the requirements of IDEA (Individuals with Disabilities Education Act).

Several years ago, Judge Gorsuch (sitting on a 3 judge panel) wrote a 10th Circuit appellate court opinion stating, although every child is entitled to a free and appropriate public education (FAPE) under IDEA, the law is satisfied if the school shows that the disabled child has made little more than de minimus progress. That decision authored by Judge Gorsuch was precedent in the 10th Circuit, which was reversed by the SC on March 22, 2017. Here is the link to the SC decision:

ENDREW F., A MINOR, BY AND THROUGH HIS PARENTS AND
NEXT FRIENDS, JOSEPH F. ET AL. v. DOUGLAS COUNTY
SCHOOL DISTRICT RE–1

https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/16pdf/15-827_0pm1.pdf

ROBERTS, C. J., delivered the opinion for a unanimous Court.

0 Replies

MontereyJack

Mon 27 Mar, 2017 12:37 am
@layman,
All those anti-Lincoln quotes sound a lot like just about any Trump tweet.
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 27 Mar, 2017 04:19 am
@ossobucotemp,
That's one hell of an expression, isn't it.
blatham

Mon 27 Mar, 2017 04:39 am
Quote:
...When Breitbart News ran a blaring headline last week suggesting that new evidence “vindicates” President Trump’s still-baseless claims that former President Barack Obama put him and his team under surveillance …

When a Fox News contributor reported that Fox had “learned” that the British government spied on Mr. Trump at Mr. Obama’s behest, though the network later said it had learned no such thing (because there’s no evidence it happened) …

When the White House press secretary repeated that flimsy (or, as the British put it, “utterly ridiculous”) claim from his powerful lectern …

It’s the end result — if not necessarily the intended result — of a dream that American conservatives began pursuing more than 60 years ago: to break the informational hegemony of the mainstream news media.

For the purposes of this column, I’m starting the count in 1955 when William F. Buckley Jr., founded National Review, declaring it an outsider’s antidote to the controlling influence of “the United Nations and the League of Women Voters and The New York Times.”

Mr. Buckley designed National Review to win the larger argument through “logic and superior command of the subject,” as his biographer Sam Tanenhaus (a former writer for The New York Times) told me last week — through facts. And it inspired successive generations of conservative journalists to get in the game, too.
NYT
0 Replies

hightor

Mon 27 Mar, 2017 05:17 am
@McGentrix,
That was very game of you to answer the dumb question I posed. I hope you see the relationship between that question and the one you asked me. Both of them conveniently assume that either the illegal immigrants or the firearms are taken completely out of the picture, so there is, in effect, only one logical answer. "Do you believe that if there were no humans the crimes they commit would not happen?" It's dumb.

You seem to think that illegals are committing barbaric crimes at an alarmingly high level and that sanctuary cities are in part responsible for these incidents. I haven't seen evidence that backs that up. It's easy to compile frightening statistics if the only sites you use are already committed to conservative anti-immigration policies. So I prefer to use more neutral government sources or other alternatives like this recent Cato Institute report which came to this conclusion:
Quote:
All immigrants are less likely to be incarcerated than natives relative to their shares of the population. Even illegal immigrants are less likely to be incarcerated than native-born Americans.

I honestly feel that the harm done to individuals, families, and communities by systematic and aggressive deportation of illegals is occurring at a higher rate than the commission of heinous crimes by illegals. Yes, McG, I know that some person will inevitably meet a tragic and violent end at the hands of a criminal who has no right to be in this country. But I don't believe that such tragedy or violence is somehow worse than that surrounding similar crimes committed by people who have guns illegally, psychotic people who should be under supervision, mentally ill individuals who don't take their prescriptions, or angry drunks. These are all cases where laws already 0n the books would theoretically have made the crimes impossible.

If only he hadn't been able to purchase that gun.
If only I'd noticed his mood when he left the house.
If only he had taken his pills.
If only I hadn't had that last half bottle of booze.
If only ICE had arrested and deported this guy.

All tragic instances that might have been avoided are similarly tinged with regret. Sadly, this is a fact of life.
blatham

Mon 27 Mar, 2017 05:33 am
Know the bad guys
Quote:
The atmosphere was buoyant at a conference held by the conservative Heartland Institute last week at a downtown Washington hotel, where speakers denounced climate science as rigged and jubilantly touted deep cuts President Trump is seeking to make to the Environmental Protection Agency.

Front and center during the two-day gathering were New York hedge fund executive Robert Mercer and his daughter Rebekah Mercer, Republican mega-donors who with their former political adviser Stephen K. Bannon helped finance an alternative media ecosystem that amplified Trump’s populist themes during last year’s campaign.

The Mercers’ attendance at the two-day Heartland conference offered a telling sign of the low-profile family’s priorities: With Trump in office, the influential financiers appear intent on putting muscle behind the fight to roll back environmental regulations, a central focus of the new administration.

On Thursday, the father and daughter joined Heartland Institute President Joseph Bast at his table for the keynote luncheon speech, held in a ballroom of the Grand Hyatt Hotel. They listened intently as Patrick J. Michaels, director of the Cato Institute’s Center for the Study of Science, argued that the Obama administration erred in finding that greenhouse gas emissions endanger public health.
WP
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 27 Mar, 2017 05:53 am
Making American conservatives stupider every day. It's like Fox's mission statement.
Quote:
Late Sunday afternoon, Fox News’s Twitter issued a “news alert” informing the public that President Donald Trump was “spending the weekend working at the White House.” It was a weird tweet for a couple of reasons: First, the idea that the President of the United States, typically a very busy person, had to keep doing his job over the weekend doesn’t exactly seem newsworthy. Second, Trump spent a significant portion of the weekend at his Virginia golf course.
NYMag
blatham

Mon 27 Mar, 2017 06:01 am
What do you do when a political voice, commonly invited onto news shows at every cable or news network, has an obvious record of consistent deceit?
Quote:
Last month, Morning Joe hit Kellyanne Conway with a pretty biting blow: The program’s two hosts, Joe Scarborough and Mika Brzezinski, explained that she and her “fake news” were no longer welcome to appear on their popular MSNBC show. “She’s just saying things,” Scarborough said at the time, “just to get in front of the TV set and prove her relevance.” Weeks later, Brzezinski is now expounding a bit more on Conway and her diminishing television presence, and still maintains her view that Conway should be blacklisted on all other news programs. “I feel even more so that everyone should ban her,” Brzezinski explained to Variety. “I’m surprised that these little acrobatic games are played with her on live national television. I think it denigrates what we do. It’s clear she doesn’t bring anything to the table. It’s clear she doesn’t know exactly what she’s talking about. It’s clear she’s making it up as she goes along.”
NYMag
Precisely. Tell your bookers that such people are not acceptable voices to present to the public because your responsibility is to inform while such individuals have exactly the opposite goal. Don't empower lies. Work to curtail them.
blatham

Mon 27 Mar, 2017 06:11 am
GOP now to move on tax "reform". I expect this endeavor will arrive with trumpets, trapeze acts and dancing girls in order to try and change the narrative of FAILURE/INCOMPETENCE which the party and administration are now (quite deservedly) suffering. But...
Quote:
And while on the surface that may sound compelling -- GOP lawmakers intend to move from one effort that cut taxes for the wealthy (health care reform) to a different effort to cut taxes for the wealthy (tax reform) -- Republicans also seemed united in their opposition to the Affordable Care Act. As recent developments made clear, like-minded ambitions do not a legislative victory make.

So why would tax reform be "the hardest lift in a generation"? In part because of the scope and scale of the task: Republicans aren't just talking about tax cuts; they want to pass tax reform -- the first time since 1986 that federal policymakers have effectively tried to re-write the nation's tax code.

To be sure, the U.S. health care system, which affects one-fifth of the American economy, is incredibly difficult to overhaul. But the U.S. tax code affects nearly all of the economy, making it that much more challenging.
Benen

0 Replies

izzythepush

Mon 27 Mar, 2017 06:13 am
@giujohn,
I can see why Trump supporters would get so upset. If a ten year old girl is wearing leggings it's so much harder to grab her by the pussy.
0 Replies

hightor

Mon 27 Mar, 2017 07:18 am
One of the stupider Republican "let's-shoot-ourselves-in-the-foot" moves has been to malign and underfund the IRS. Capitalizing on the average idiot's belief that his taxes are too high and the money is wasted anyway, along with the lawmakers' own fear of being audited themselves, successive budget cuts have reduced the IRS's ability to collect the revenue due to it:
Quote:
President Trump’s Treasury secretary, Steven Mnuchin, knows that investing in the Internal Revenue Service yields significant returns — he said as much during his confirmation hearings. And he’s right: Every dollar spent on the agency returns $4 in revenue for the federal government, and as much as $10 when invested in enforcement activities.

Mr. Mnuchin’s boss doesn’t seem to care, but he should. And not just because the I.R.S. more than pays for itself. Cutting funds for the I.R.S., which has already endured years of budget cuts, would make it impossible for the president to pay for things he says he cares about, including infrastructure, Social Security and the military.

Mr. Trump made his disregard for the I.R.S. obvious this month in his budget proposal, which calls for reducing the agency’s funding by 2 percent, or $239 million. Unfortunately, the seemingly endless cuts have compromised the agency’s ability to collect taxes, combat identity theft, prosecute tax criminals and deliver taxpayer services.

(...)

Mr. Mnuchin appreciates that the core mission of the agency is in grave jeopardy, and that the president’s tax and spending proposals are impossible without a revitalized I.R.S.

The White House appears oblivious to these realities. Its budget proposal offsets $54 billion in new military spending with cuts to the I.R.S. and other discretionary sources.

But the numbers don’t add up. Cutting the I.R.S. budget by $239 million puts Mr. Trump further away from filling his $54 billion bucket. Again, since $1 in I.R.S. appropriations yields at least $4 in additional revenue (and, again, as much as $10), cutting $239 million from the I.R.S. would reduce revenue by nearly $1 billion, and perhaps by as much as $2.39 billion.

https://nyti.ms/2nmlDfd
ossobucotemp

Mon 27 Mar, 2017 07:42 am
@blatham,
Yeah. On top of it, he's trying to bill european countries for NATO while he hasn't understood how NATO has worked (explained in the link).
MontereyJack

Mon 27 Mar, 2017 08:51 am
@blatham,
And further, in the "fiddling while Rome burns" news, Trump, who bitched repeatedly about Obama playing golf, allegedly instead of putting in as many hours at work as Trump said he should, has now golfed 13 times in two months. Apparently the one thing Trump can do better than any President is waste time with a club in his hand.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Mon 27 Mar, 2017 09:13 am
@ossobucotemp,
ossobucotemp wrote:

Yeah. On top of it, he's trying to bill european countries for NATO while he hasn't understood how NATO has worked (explained in the link).

You appear to be misrepresenting the facts here, All the NATO nations have agreed to maintain expenditure for military readiness in terms of a generally specified % of GDP. The European Nations, with few exceptions, have had chronic shortfalls in those expenditures, going back in some cases to the Cold War. It's a military alliance in each of the members undertakes to defend the others in the event of an attack. As a consequence this is a central issue. It appears to me that Trump understands that very well,
izzythepush

Mon 27 Mar, 2017 09:15 am
@ossobucotemp,
He doesn't, the only time NATO countries banded together to help a fellow member under attack was shortly after 9/11 when NATO jets patrolled NY skies. That doesn't mean to say that America's military arsenal hasn't been a useful factor in deterring Russian aggression over the years.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Mon 27 Mar, 2017 09:32 am
@georgeob1,
So according to the news, Trump goes to visit Merkel and hands her an invoice for $374 billion dollars that some wack job in the White House computed she owes for 12 years of NATO dues plus interest. Way to start a state visit, Donny. No wonder she's looking at him like he's lost his mid, in that photo above.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Mon 27 Mar, 2017 09:33 am
@hightor,
I am glad that we can have a civil back and forth on this topic.

hightor wrote:

That was very game of you to answer the dumb question I posed. I hope you see the relationship between that question and the one you asked me. Both of them conveniently assume that either the illegal immigrants or the firearms are taken completely out of the picture, so there is, in effect, only one logical answer. "Do you believe that if there were no humans the crimes they commit would not happen?" It's dumb.

You seem to think that illegals are committing barbaric crimes at an alarmingly high level and that sanctuary cities are in part responsible for these incidents. I haven't seen evidence that backs that up.

No, I don't think that at all. I mean other than the fact that every single one of them has already committed a crime by entering the country illegally. Beyond that, I do not think that illegals are any more likely to commit a crime than anyone else. However, the difference between us is that I see ANY crime they commit on US soil as one that could have been easily prevented by keeping them from being here in the first place. Do you see that difference?

You keep using psychotics with guns in your example. I see sanctuary cities as people giving guns to the psychotics, giving them bullets and then turning them loose in an elementary school. That is what they are doing by allowing illegal immigrants to remain in their cities and encouraging more to come.

Quote:
It's easy to compile frightening statistics if the only sites you use are already committed to conservative anti-immigration policies. So I prefer to use more neutral government sources or other alternatives like this recent Cato Institute report which came to this conclusion:
Quote:
All immigrants are less likely to be incarcerated than natives relative to their shares of the population. Even illegal immigrants are less likely to be incarcerated than native-born Americans.

The site that I used that "are already committed to conservative anti-immigration policies", did you look at it? Was anything there made up or falsified? Did you see any crimes listed that did not occur?

Why not discuss the content rather than the source? That is something you guys love to do with anything that is counter to your beliefs. Don't like it? Complain about the source. Every. Damn. Time.

Quote:
I honestly feel that the harm done to individuals, families, and communities by systematic and aggressive deportation of illegals is occurring at a higher rate than the commission of heinous crimes by illegals.

...they are illegals. If they don't want their families torn apart, stay home. Maybe if your side would spend some time bettering their home countries they wouldn't need to be here. But you never see that happening.

Quote:
Yes, McG, I know that some person will inevitably meet a tragic and violent end at the hands of a criminal who has no right to be in this country.

Finally, you answered the question.

Quote:
But I don't believe that such tragedy or violence is somehow worse than that surrounding similar crimes committed by people who have guns illegally, psychotic people who should be under supervision, mentally ill individuals who don't take their prescriptions, or angry drunks. These are all cases where laws already 0n the books would theoretically have made the crimes impossible.

It is not illegal to own a firearm.
Liberals decided that the mentally ill and psychotics should be treated like non-mentally ill people and had them all released into society to "main stream" them.
It's not illegal to purchase and consume alcohol so long as you don't drive.
It IS illegal to come into the country unless proper channels have been followed.

Quote:
If only he hadn't been able to purchase that gun.
If only I'd noticed his mood when he left the house.
If only he had taken his pills.
If only I hadn't had that last half bottle of booze.
If only ICE had arrested and deported this guy.

All tragic instances that might have been avoided are similarly tinged with regret. Sadly, this is a fact of life.

Sanctuary cities and not deporting illegal immigrants is the equivalent to:
Giving the gun and ammo to psychotic people
Taking the pills away and sending psychotics out into society
Giving away free booze
Not deporting people because your liberal values are more important than someone else's life.

Tragic instances that all could have been easily prevented.
McGentrix

Mon 27 Mar, 2017 09:37 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

What do you do when a political voice, commonly invited onto news shows at every cable or news network, has an obvious record of consistent deceit?
Quote:
Last month, Morning Joe hit Kellyanne Conway with a pretty biting blow: The program’s two hosts, Joe Scarborough and Mika Brzezinski, explained that she and her “fake news” were no longer welcome to appear on their popular MSNBC show. “She’s just saying things,” Scarborough said at the time, “just to get in front of the TV set and prove her relevance.” Weeks later, Brzezinski is now expounding a bit more on Conway and her diminishing television presence, and still maintains her view that Conway should be blacklisted on all other news programs. “I feel even more so that everyone should ban her,” Brzezinski explained to Variety. “I’m surprised that these little acrobatic games are played with her on live national television. I think it denigrates what we do. It’s clear she doesn’t bring anything to the table. It’s clear she doesn’t know exactly what she’s talking about. It’s clear she’s making it up as she goes along.”
NYMag
Precisely. Tell your bookers that such people are not acceptable voices to present to the public because your responsibility is to inform while such individuals have exactly the opposite goal. Don't empower lies. Work to curtail them.

Canadian liberals: Stifling Free speech because their feelings might get hurt. Always good to be reminded how they see the world. Like how they think that the rape of 14 year old girls by illegal immigrants can be lessened by reminding us that other girls also get raped.
0 Replies

giujohn

Mon 27 Mar, 2017 09:42 am
@wmwcjr,
wmwcjr wrote:

giujohn wrote:
I can take it...Tell me...Is it lupus?

No, it's not lupus. It's not lepus, either.

I know what a lepus is ... thanks to Hollywood.

https://media.giphy.com/media/ZkbCauPdlCxy0/giphy.gif

Forgive me! Mr. Green

https://youtu.be/_-E6aQIfN6g