monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

McGentrix

Mon 27 Mar, 2017 09:53 am
@hightor,
When you look at the IRS budget and the history of what the IRS has spent since Obama became President you would realize that $239 million really isn't a lot. in 2014, the IRS spent $100 million on.... furniture. It has an $11 Billion budget that has been declining from a high of almost $13.5 Billion in 2010.

You are complaining that Trump won't allow a couple pizza parties and some new chairs.
MontereyJack

Mon 27 Mar, 2017 09:57 am
@McGentrix,
Interesting article in the NYT a couple months back agout growers in the Valley in CA who largely voted for Trump at the same time they knowingly rely on illegal immigrants to work their fields and harvest their crops.It's an open secret that they're illegal, they come back year after year, the local economy is dependent on them, buying groceries amongst other things, they've become their friends, some have settled there permanently and bought houses, they're the natives' next door neighbors. The REPUBLICAN state rep has filed a bill in Sacramento for a pathway to regularize their status becaue they're indispensable. Just indicative of why the country as a whole overwhelmingly rejects Trump;s views on illegals and wants the government to figure out how to regularize their status rather than Trumps's draconian deportations.

McGentrix

Mon 27 Mar, 2017 10:03 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:

Interesting article in the NYT a couple months back agout growers in the Valley in CA who largely voted for Trump at the same time they knowingly rely on illegal immigrants to work their fields and harvest their crops.It's an open secret that they're illegal, they come back year after year, the local economy is dependent on them, buying groceries amongst other things, they've become their friends, some have settled there permanently and bought houses, they're the natives' next door neighbors. The REPUBLICAN state rep has filed a bill in Sacramento for a pathway to regularize their status becaue they're indispensable. Just indicative of why the country as a whole overwhelmingly rejects Trump;s views on illegals and wants the government to figure out how to regularize their status rather than Trumps's draconian deportations.

So, you are suggesting that instead of breaking the law, they are seeking to instead change the law... like the way it is supposed to happen? I'm not sure what you are suggesting here? Also, don't most grow operations get a number of H-2A temporary visa's to use for migratory workers?

More info here. If they are relying on illegals, then they hold the onus of anything that happens by or too those people. It has been suggested that employers be held liable for employing illegal immigrants.
farmerman

Mon 27 Mar, 2017 10:40 am
@McGentrix,
Now I saw this on the internet so it must be a fact.
The Trump/Ryan Health Insurance Bill was scheduled for failure all along. That was the whole plan of the GOP. They did it so that Netflix could sneak in the greenlighting 3 Adam Sandler movies.
McGentrix

Mon 27 Mar, 2017 11:07 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Now I saw this on the internet so it must be a fact.
The Trump/Ryan Health Insurance Bill was scheduled for failure all along. That was the whole plan of the GOP. They did it so that Netflix could sneak in the greenlighting 3 Adam Sandler movies.

Cute. You must be so proud of yourself.
blatham

Mon 27 Mar, 2017 11:31 am
@farmerman,
Some years back, I bumped into Sandler as he was entering a pub and I was leaving. He's larger than he deserves to be. Also true with Paul Gigot.
0 Replies

hightor

Mon 27 Mar, 2017 11:31 am
@McGentrix,
I'm on mobile, McG, so no fancy formatting...

As to the site you provided, here's the deal - I have no way of checking out its credibility. You can complain about the NYT or the WP for their editorial slant but I know that they try to be accurate with their facts and will publish corrections and apologies for getting a story wrong.

The site you linked to seems to have a very distinct point of view - and by highlighting particular cases without providing any context the pages, admittedly, make for some grim reading. However, a similar site could be developed to call attention to the number of drunken drivers convicted of murder and every case would be seen as an individual tragedy instead of a statistic. There are an estimated 11 million illegals so more data would be helpful if we want to make decisions based on the rate of homicide rather than the mere fact that it exists. Your site, which I accept as factual, does a good job profiling individuals but it's not as useful if you wish an overview of the subject. The figures may be accurate but to a non-rightist the presentation looks biased.

As more and more deportations occur and the number of illegals lessens we should be able to compile some very interesting statistics. Let's see if the deportations make a difference.

hightor

Mon 27 Mar, 2017 11:39 am
@McGentrix,
The article makes the point that the budget cuts inhibit the IRS from collecting taxes due - so losing $239 million, while not a huge amount in terms of DC budgets, could result in billions in lost revenue.
farmerman

Mon 27 Mar, 2017 11:46 am
@McGentrix,
Quote:
Cute. You must be so proud of yourself.
Dont be yellin at me. I said I saw it on the interweb so if you got some gripes call them.
0 Replies

revelette1

Mon 27 Mar, 2017 12:03 pm
Quote:

Senate Committee to Question Jared Kushner Over Meetings With Russians

Senate investigators plan to question Jared Kushner, President Trump’s son-in-law and a close adviser, as part of their broad inquiry into ties between Trump associates and Russian officials or others linked to the Kremlin, according to administration and congressional officials.

The White House Counsel’s Office was informed this month that the Senate Intelligence Committee, which is investigating Russian interference in the 2016 presidential election, wanted to question Mr. Kushner about meetings he arranged with the Russian ambassador, Sergey I. Kislyak, according to the government officials. The meetings, which took place during the transition, included a previously unreported sit-down with the head of Russia’s state-owned development bank.

Until now, the White House had acknowledged only an early December meeting between Mr. Kislyak and Mr. Kushner, which occurred at Trump Tower and was also attended by Michael T. Flynn, who would briefly serve as the national security adviser.

Later that month, though, Mr. Kislyak requested a second meeting, which Mr. Kushner asked a deputy to attend in his stead, officials said. At Mr. Kislyak’s request, Mr. Kushner later met with Sergey N. Gorkov, the chief of Vnesheconombank, which the United States placed on its sanctions list after President Vladimir V. Putin of Russia annexed Crimea and began meddling in Ukraine.

A White House spokeswoman, Hope Hicks, confirmed those meetings, saying in an interview that nothing of consequence was discussed and that they went nowhere. Mr. Gorkov, who previously served as deputy chairman of the board at Sberbank, Russia’s largest state-owned bank, could not be reached for comment.

More at the source: NYT

The relevance here is Mr. Gorkov "is a graduate of Federal Security Service of Russia, a training ground for Russian intelligence and security forces."
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 27 Mar, 2017 12:27 pm
@hightor,
Quote:
could result in billions in lost revenue.

Not a bug. A feature.
blatham

Mon 27 Mar, 2017 12:40 pm
Exceptional!
Quote:
Amanda Terkel‏Verified account @aterkel 43m43 minutes ago
Hawaii judge who blocked Trump’s travel ban faces death threats, is getting 24-hr protection from fed marshals http://bit.ly/2nnMA2k
blatham

Mon 27 Mar, 2017 01:00 pm
down down down down down

Quote:
President Donald Trump’s approval rating reached a new low in Gallup’s daily polling average Monday.

According to Gallup, 36 percent of respondents to its daily polls approved of Trump’s performance in office, while 57 percent disapproved.

Gallup arrives at its approval numbers by averaging the previous three days of polling. Monday's numbers reflect responses from March 24-26, during and following the surprising failure of Republicans’ Obamacare replacement plan on Friday.

Trump’s Gallup approval is now lower than former Presidents Barack Obama and Bill Clinton's approval numbers were at any point in their presidencies, according to an analysis by Gallup's editor-in-chief. Obama reached a low of 38 percent in 2011 and 2014. Former President Bill Clinton reached a low of 37 percent in 1993.

Former President George W. Bush reached his low, 25 percent, in October 2008.
TPM
Hard to figure this. The WH has been a finely tuned machine all the way along.

(ps... god knows what this week is going to bring)
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Mon 27 Mar, 2017 01:02 pm
@blatham,
Proves the extremism of Trump supporters. A danger to our country. Our freedoms are now being threatened.
I wonder how much lower Trump's approval rating will fall.
blatham

Mon 27 Mar, 2017 01:05 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Perhaps the White House had planned all along for Attorney General Jeff Sessions to make an appearance at today's press briefing to rail against sanctuary cities. But the timing is consistent with what I've long feared will be the impulse for the Trump administration: When the going gets rough (failed Obamacare repeal, low poll numbers, etc), it will fall back on appeals to racism and xenophobia to regain political footing.
David Kurtz at TPM
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 27 Mar, 2017 01:08 pm
Winner of our widely celebrated "I'll Bet They Are Not" contest

Quote:
The covert meeting that the House Intelligence Committee chairman held with a source on the White House grounds last week has not raised suspicions of an inappropriate leak within the executive branch, White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer said Monday.

“We’re not concerned about that,” Spicer told reporters at his daily press briefing.
TPM
0 Replies

layman

Mon 27 Mar, 2017 01:09 pm
@hightor,
Quote:
Even illegal immigrants are less likely to be incarcerated than native-born Americans.

Saying they're "less likely to be incarcerated" aint sayin much. More likely they'll be deported rather than waste time and resources trying, convicting, and housing them.

Problem with that is, under Obama, they would just come right back in. We've heard numerous tales of illegals who have raped and/or killed people here (often by vehicular homicide) after having been previously deported MANY times.

How about the question of 'less likely to commit a crime," eh?

We know that 100% of illegals have already done that. That's why they're called "illegals," ya know?
layman

Mon 27 Mar, 2017 01:17 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

The article makes the point that the budget cuts inhibit the IRS from collecting taxes due - so losing $239 million, while not a huge amount in terms of DC budgets, could result in billions in lost revenue.

Or simply, as Gent said, simply a few less fancy-ass office chairs and desks. How much extra tax "revenue" does $100 million PER YEAR for office furniture bring into the treasury, ya figure?

I got a desk and office chair I bought at a thrift store for $75 years ago, which saved me over a $1000 at the time.

Guess what? They work just fine for sitting, writing, and computing.

Let the damn IRS buy their **** at thrift stores, like I do. Instead, they "give" perfectly fine furniture to thrift stores so they can buy "better" **** which doesn't function even 1% better than what they threw away.

And they can pay for their own damn christmas parties and vacation junkets, too, ya know? Tens, if not hundreds, of millions of wasted money would be saved.
0 Replies

layman

Mon 27 Mar, 2017 01:38 pm
@layman,
layman wrote:

How about the question of 'less likely to commit a crime," eh?

We know that 100% of illegals have already done that. That's why they're called "illegals," ya know?

But, again, this misses the whole point. Whether aliens commit crime at a rate of 99% or 101% of citizens is totally irrelevant.

Suppose Japanese commit crimes at a rate of 90% of Americans, for example. Would that mean that we should flood our country with 100 million Japanese with the goal of lowering our "rate" of crimes? The "rate" might be lower, but the number of crimes commited would be greatly increased.

Why not just stick to the issues, rather than drag red herrings around, eh?
0 Replies

glitterbag

Mon 27 Mar, 2017 01:40 pm
@giujohn,
giujohn wrote:

hightor wrote:

Quote:
Funny or racist?

Although it implies that the white Southern sheriff is a bigot, I don't consider it "racist", although we can pretty much assume that the black guy was killed by racists. It's obviously referring to the Jim Crow era (or a holdover sub-culture) and there are many, many examples of stereotypical good ol' boys making these kinds of cracks in movies and TV.

guijohn wrote:
You assume he was killed by a racist?? It would be more likely that he was killed by another black and the sheriff was being a indifferent...But you think just like a liberal...You can't help it.

SNICKER: Gooey thinks just like a racist!!!!!!! In all likelihood because he was raised by and around racists. Quelle surprise. He can't help it because he 'don't know no better' (to use the Vernacular). Ain't that rich.