monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

revelette1

Sun 26 Mar, 2017 11:23 am
@cicerone imposter,
I read an article from STAT this morning talking about who to blame for Trump's troubles, and it isn't Trump. They blame the establishment. They blame the Democrats. They blame the media.[url] So far his core supporters are sticking by him.
0 Replies

hightor

Sun 26 Mar, 2017 11:25 am
@revelette1,
Cicerone provided this:
Quote:
But several studies, over many years, have concluded that immigrants are less likely to commit crimes than people born in the United States. And experts say the available evidence does not support the idea that undocumented immigrants commit a disproportionate share of crime.

“There’s no way I can mess with the numbers to get a different conclusion,” said Alex Nowrasteh, immigration policy analyst at the libertarian Cato Institute, which advocates more liberal immigration laws.

NYT
layman

Sun 26 Mar, 2017 11:28 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:
So if they're naturalized citizens it's okay? I really don't see what your point is.

Heh.

If Obama commuted the sentence of every convicted murderer in the country, and set them free on the streets, you wouldn't think of blaming or holding Obama the least bit responsible for the subsequent murders they would inevitably commit, I bet.
cicerone imposter

Sun 26 Mar, 2017 11:32 am
@hightor,
I removed the Wapo post, because they charge a fee.
Politifact shows Trump tells the truth 4% of the time.
http://www.politifact.com/personalities/donald-trump/
revelette1

Sun 26 Mar, 2017 11:39 am
Quote:
Trump takes aim at Freedom Caucus over GOP defeat

WASHINGTON — Despite calling Freedom Caucus members friends last week, President Trump seemed to take aim Sunday at the Republican hard-line conservatives and blame them in part for the collapse of the party’s health care repeal plan.

“Democrats are smiling in D.C. that the Freedom Caucus, with the help of Club For Growth and Heritage, have saved Planned Parenthood & Ocare!’’ Trump tweeted early Sunday.

The tweet came on the heels of a major blow for Republicans when leaders pulled Friday their plan to replace and repeal the Affordable Care Act, because they didn't have enough GOP support to pass the measure. Several moderate Republicans and members of the Freedom Caucus vowed not to support it. All the Democrats were expected to vote against it.

USA
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Sun 26 Mar, 2017 11:40 am
@layman,
I bet you're talking thru your rectum.
revelette1

Sun 26 Mar, 2017 11:44 am
@hightor,
Ordinarily that should put that debate to bed, but, we don't live in ordinary times.

My point is the same as yours, punish the offender for the offense, no matter the person.

I believe in a path to citizenship for illegals, to me, it just makes sense all around. Otherwise you end up separating families, kids might lose their parents; also it is very costly trying round up all the illegals in the country and deport them, and we lose workers which is bad for the economy.
Below viewing threshold (view)
izzythepush

Sun 26 Mar, 2017 12:11 pm
@cicerone imposter,
That much?
cicerone imposter

Sun 26 Mar, 2017 12:20 pm
@izzythepush,
4% means it's better to assume everything he says is a lie. Why even bother playing his foolish game?
izzythepush

Sun 26 Mar, 2017 12:26 pm
@cicerone imposter,
It just that 4% seems a bit high.
cicerone imposter

Sun 26 Mar, 2017 12:42 pm
@izzythepush,
I'm confident that Politifact did their due deligence to arrive at their 4%. I don't know of another research to refer to.
This is another issue about Trump that should be interesting.
https://theconversation.com/fbis-russia-probe-threatens-a-reckoning-for-team-trump-75002
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Sun 26 Mar, 2017 01:07 pm
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/mar/26/joe-biden-2016-presidential-election

Joe Biden: I regret not running for president – because I could have won

Former vice-president tells college students in New York ‘I don’t have a lot of hope right now’ about Donald Trump’s administration.

(more at link)
jcboy

Sun 26 Mar, 2017 01:17 pm
We have come to the point when someone poses a question they get a well articulated answer. Then the shock sets in. Cool

Legendary Anchor Ted Koppel Slams Sean Hannity

Quote:
Ted Koppel, a decorated and semi-retired news broadcaster whose journalistic career has spanned six decades, this week mounted a special report for CBS Sunday Morning, where he's a senior contributor. The topic was "The great divide: Politics in the Age of Trump." In the piece, he lamented the media forces that seek to polarize people for their own gain—and to the country's detriment.Of course, no talk of this subject is complete without a critique of Fox News, and in particular its most partisan loudmouth, Sean Hannity. In a stunning interview segment, Hannity made the mistake of putting a brash rhetorical question to Koppel: "You think we're bad for America? You think I'm bad for America?"

http://cdn.someecards.com/posts/ted-koppel-sean-hannity-bad-for-america-JJF.png
cicerone imposter

Sun 26 Mar, 2017 01:38 pm
@jcboy,
Koppel said to Hannity, "You think idiology is more important than facts." Spot on!

Quote:
Nightline
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In 2002, Nightline was ranked 23rd on TV Guide's 50 Greatest TV Shows of All Time.[6] It has won three Peabody Awards, one in 2001,[7] and two in 2002 for the reports "Heart of Darkness"[8] and "The Survivors".[9]
Through a video-sharing agreement with the BBC, Nightline also repackages some of the BBC's output for an American audience. Segments from Nightline are also shown in a condensed form on ABC's overnight news program World News Now. There is also a version of Nightline for sister cable channel Fusion.
edgarblythe

Sun 26 Mar, 2017 01:53 pm
@McGentrix,
That question is too stupid to reply to.
blatham

Sun 26 Mar, 2017 02:11 pm
@farmerman,
Yes, those protests were right all along. I do remember the Berrigan brothers with great fondness. The daughter of one remains an activist.
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 26 Mar, 2017 02:15 pm
@lmur,
Quote:
While channel-hopping, I spotted a promo-caption in the corner of the screen indicating that there would be explosive new revelations relating to wire-tapping on Judge Jeanine's show. Perhaps that is what the nutter was referring to in his tweet?
Not sure when you saw it but that may have been the Nunes distraction attempt. Or perhaps some other generated piece of bullshit to keep the base misinformed.
revelette1

Sun 26 Mar, 2017 02:17 pm
@ossobucotemp,
I agree with him, he could have won easily. But I understood, I couldn't put myself in his place in his personal life, it is too hard to imagine.
revelette1

Sun 26 Mar, 2017 02:29 pm
@blatham,
I thought the show is going to be about Ryan stepping down?
Quote:

President Trump told Americans Saturday morning to watch “Justice Jeanine” on Fox News. Jeanine Pirro started her show with a segment calling for House Speaker Paul Ryan to “step down.”

Daily Caller