monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

georgeob1

Wed 22 Mar, 2017 04:23 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:
as they argued, USSC appointments by lame duck presidents in an election year are rare.
No law. no rule, no constitutional support uphold how McConnell acted in this circumstance. He merely acted as he did because he had the power and saw the possibility it might work to deny Obama a SC appointment.
You are correct. You also (very significantly and somewhat deceptively) omitted the fact that no law or constitutional provision prevented his actions. What was done was entirely within the discretion of the Senate Majority Leader, and he acted in keeping with most (not all) previous precedent.

blatham wrote:

Quote:
in view of the forthcoming election and the prospect of a possible Republican President and larger republican majority in the Senate (both of which occurred), Garland was not an acceptable choice for them.
Here's where you get it right. Garland became suddenly "unacceptable" simply and only as a consequence of McConnell figuring he could get away with destroying Senate norms.
That may well be true. However, where is it written that the acceptability of someone or something must be completely independent of the circumstances that attend it?

Once again you are projecting your own prejudices or the otherwise valid, independent judgments of others, and faulting them for not sharing your point of view.
blatham

Wed 22 Mar, 2017 04:29 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Quote:
Yiddish or Low German,

Low German was the tongue used by my mom's family (when not speaking English). Apparently there was significant crossover with Yiddish.

"Dumbbell" was a very common term when we were children. I'd quite forgotten it.
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 22 Mar, 2017 04:37 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
no law or constitutional provision prevented his actions.

That's what allowed him to get away with it. That and a broad consensus among Republicans and conservatives that he should do it so that Obama wouldn't get to pick the replacement for Scalia.

Quote:
What was done was entirely within the discretion of the Senate Majority Leader, and he acted in keeping with most (not all) previous precedent.
Utterly false. That was a pretense of historical justification. It was the cover for breaking norms.

And you do not address the stated intentions to hold the seat vacant if Hillary had won, perhaps for four or more years, and the claims that an SC with only 8 sitting justices would be just fine. Do you doubt that if Hillary had won, the GOP would try to do that? And had they done so, are you going to tell me that you'd protest their divergence from what has always been normal process?
jcboy

Wed 22 Mar, 2017 05:16 pm
Perfection! Cool

McGentrix

Wed 22 Mar, 2017 05:28 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:
You attempted to dismiss the rape of a 14 year old girl by 2 people

That is what I did not do. So now you are on ignore.

It's exactly what you did. Why else would you have even posted it?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Wed 22 Mar, 2017 05:35 pm
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:

Quote:
There's a lot of serious people kicking about here. I report, they decide.

You are completely blind to say this in the echo chamber you have created here on a2k. You don't want serious people, you want "yes men" to comment on your articles.

I think Chapstick is a sponsor of his.
0 Replies

thack45

Wed 22 Mar, 2017 05:36 pm
Good stuff, albeit from a British, liberty hating commie. If at any point you're wondering what this has to do with Trump, skip to 17:55

**NSFW for language and a flabby man's ass in a tiny red thong**

0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Wed 22 Mar, 2017 05:53 pm
@jcboy,
even with cc that is a jumble of shouts for me, and I'm interested. I don't like speedreading and being yelled at.

So, what did Arnold say? For me he was a neighborhood guy in the 80s/90s. We never talked, but ran into each other on Main Street (Venice). He had an office there. I remember complaining about him on some a2k thread, when he was running for office, I think yammering on, but I didn't despise him.
ossobucotemp

Wed 22 Mar, 2017 05:55 pm
@ossobucotemp,
oh, well, I need a transcript.
0 Replies

layman

Wed 22 Mar, 2017 06:37 pm
Quote:
UK Parliament terror attack: 5 dead, including cop, more than 40 injured

A knife-wielding man went on a deadly rampage in the heart of Britain’s seat of power Wednesday, plowing a car into pedestrians on London’s Westminster Bridge before stabbing a police officer to death inside the gates of Parliament. Five people were killed and about 40 others were injured in what Prime Minister Theresa May condemned as a “sick and depraved terrorist attack." A doctor who treated the wounded said some had “catastrophic” injuries.

"The location of this attack was no accident. The values our Parliament represents - democracy, freedom, human rights, the rule of law, command the admiration and respect of free people everywhere. That is why it is a target for those who reject those values," May said."

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/world/several-injured-outside-british-parliament-house-on-lockdown-amid-reports-of-several-injuries-outside

A crazed muslim attack with guns, knives and cars on British Parliament with massive death and injuries resulting, and I haven't seen a single cheese-eater even acknowledge that it happened, let alone comment on it. I guess they haven't figured out a convincing way to try to justify it yet, eh?

To them, a conversation between Jeff Sessions and the russian ambassador is a much greater "threat to democracy" than armed attacks on democratic institutions.

Cheese-eatin motherfuckers.
0 Replies

thack45

Wed 22 Mar, 2017 06:41 pm
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:
You are completely blind to say this in the echo chamber you have created here on a2k. You don't want serious people, you want "yes men" to comment on your articles.

Baldimo wrote:
It's the leftists favorite move on this thread, ignore everyone but those they agree with. It's the perfect echo chamber.

Baldimo wrote:
Really? More with the ignore BS? Echo echo echo echo echo chamber.

https://storage.googleapis.com/vidsums/565e8a9f-f571-45f6-9dc2-12736b41ec05_text.gif
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Wed 22 Mar, 2017 06:46 pm
Hear that, georgeob1? You are an echo to Blatham.
giujohn

Wed 22 Mar, 2017 06:51 pm
@hightor,
Yes...That's why I put it in quotes.
0 Replies

giujohn

Wed 22 Mar, 2017 06:53 pm
@hightor,
Eh...What can I say **** happens with all that testosterone flying about.
0 Replies

layman

Wed 22 Mar, 2017 06:53 pm
@edgarblythe,
Blathy IS an "echo," regurgitating propaganda supplied by the International Communist Party.
0 Replies

giujohn

Wed 22 Mar, 2017 06:55 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

According to the WSJ article, most consider Trump as "fake president." Must crush his ego.

Ya...I don't think so. He's got ego to spare.
0 Replies

giujohn

Wed 22 Mar, 2017 07:04 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Can't emphasize that enough; Trump lies over 70% of the time. Why people still believe and support him is a mystery of huge perportions.
https://www.google.com/amp/www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/when-president-simply-lies-too-much/amp

Because secretly he pays us each $100 a week...
0 Replies

giujohn

Wed 22 Mar, 2017 07:06 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Especially when he's tried to make a virtue out of sexual abuse by using Agent Orange's pussy grabbing statement as his avatar. Monumental hypocrisy.

Hey...Just cuz women won't let you grab their pussy is no reason to denigrate Trump.
0 Replies

giujohn

Wed 22 Mar, 2017 07:07 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Don't you get it? It's not about "glowing." It's about the majority saying "no."

Don't you get it, your majority doesnt matter.
cicerone imposter

Wed 22 Mar, 2017 07:09 pm
@giujohn,
Quote:
Don't you get it, your majority do you matter.

Where did you learn English? Trump University? LOL