monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

blatham

Wed 22 Mar, 2017 02:28 pm
@cicerone imposter,
He's referencing a particular poll. But he has a point in questioning my 37% figure which also comes from one source. Averaging all polls is the best way to go (while avoiding real outliers).
McGentrix

Wed 22 Mar, 2017 02:29 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:
Some things will never change, but what can you really expect for a rape apologist.

Do you really want to play the game that deceitfully? Give me a yes or a no and whether I move you to ignore will hinge on your answer.

You do what you think is best for you. It's obvious that all you want to see and hear is the continuous crooning of your chorus here.
blatham

Wed 22 Mar, 2017 02:32 pm
@McGentrix,
I'm not going to let you off that easily. You deceitfully and purposefully mis-stated what I'd said/argued and produced a really ugly personal smear. If I put you on ignore, it will be only because you now fail to acknowledge that and apologize for it. I'd rather not put you on ignore (I've never done so previously) but what you did drops below any acceptable level of discourse.

Edit: you don't even have to apologize. Just acknowledge it.
cicerone imposter

Wed 22 Mar, 2017 02:35 pm
@blatham,
I use Gallup, and they show 40% today. That's surprising because of the recent revelation on Trump's charge against the Clinton's were determined to be false.
Add to that Trump's five year challenge on Obama's birthplace, and his constant lies.
blatham

Wed 22 Mar, 2017 02:37 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Yes. As always, there's a range.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Wed 22 Mar, 2017 02:46 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

I'm not going to let you off that easily. You deceitfully and purposefully mis-stated what I'd said/argued and produced a really ugly personal smear. If I put you on ignore, it will be only because you now fail to acknowledge that and apologize for it.

Apologize for it? You attempted to dismiss the rape of a 14 year old girl by 2 people that shouldn't have even been in the same country as her, much less the same school by suggesting that "we should compare the number of rapes of young women committed by high school and college sports dudes." As though that 14 year old girl really give a **** about rape statistics or who else could have raped her. I guess she was lucky that at least the illegals won't have expensive lawyers. I mean unless the sanctuary people are going to crowd source one for them. They are the best and brightest, right?

You took a discussion of what could have been about the various ideas of sanctuary cities and states and turned it in to a "Yeah, but look, they do it too! White Americans are just as bad as the illegal immigrants!" discussion. You want to lessen the impact of illegal immigrants committing violent crimes because that makes the ideas of sanctuary cities look stupid. Who in their right mind would want to give someone like that sanctuary?

Now, you want me to apologize or you will stop reading my posts?! I say **** off and have a nice day.

blatham

Wed 22 Mar, 2017 02:50 pm
@McGentrix,
Quote:
You attempted to dismiss the rape of a 14 year old girl by 2 people

That is what I did not do. So now you are on ignore.
blatham

Wed 22 Mar, 2017 03:00 pm
From Mike Tomasky at the NYRB
Quote:
...It is spectacle such as we have never seen, but attention must be trained not solely on the White House. Just a few short weeks into this administration, and already it seems clear that the most important question historians might be asking twenty, fifty, seventy years from now will be not about Trump but about the Republican Party—how the Republicans could have permitted this. House Speaker Paul Ryan and Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell and all the rest of them surely know that Trump isn’t fit to be president. They surely understand the danger of giving him the enormous war-making authority a president has. They have it in their power to block things like Muslim bans, which to a person they have at one point or another declared to be un-American.

Yet they have obliged Trump since the campaign—criticizing him here and there, when it didn’t really matter, but when it mattered talking as McConnell did in the following cringe-inducing exchange with Martha Raddatz of ABC’s This Week...

...McConnell is one thing. He has no policy commitments, beyond his hope that all campaign finance regulation might someday be wiped off the books. He just wants the power of his majority, and if it’s Trump who happens to be the facilitator and guarantor of that power, fine by him.

Ryan is another matter, indeed the opposite: he has many policy commitments. You might think that would give him reason to take stands against Trump, but in fact it is precisely his policy commitments that keep him tethered to Trump. Ryan wants to dismantle the welfare state. So the devil’s bargain he has made, and this is true of many congressional Republicans, is that they will support Trump, let him deport Muslims and crack down on undocumented Latinos, let him depart from party orthodoxy on trade, let him pursue risky and maybe even sinister policies with Vladimir Putin, turn a collective blind eye to the manifold ways in which he dishonors the office, as long as the president signs whatever legislation they bring to his desk that rips the bricks out of the wall of the liberal state. They will hope in the meantime that he doesn’t start World War III or hand state secrets to the Russian FSB.
more here
Baldimo

Wed 22 Mar, 2017 03:06 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
Do you really want to play the game that deceitfully?

Really? More with the ignore BS? Echo echo echo echo echo chamber.
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 22 Mar, 2017 03:20 pm
Quote:
Eric Kleefeld‏ @EricKleefeld 33m33 minutes ago
In Trump's America, purpose of State Dept. is to stop doing diplomacy, Health to kick people off care, and Intel Committee to aid treason.

PS... keep an eye on news regarding Devin Nunes over the next while. He may be digging himself a very big and ugly hole.
blatham

Wed 22 Mar, 2017 03:22 pm
Quote:
David Frum‏Verified account @davidfrum 3h3 hours ago
David Frum Retweeted The Associated Press
Reminder that Manafort has worked for Trump in various capacities since the late 1980s
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Wed 22 Mar, 2017 03:26 pm
@blatham,
It's not the hole I'm worried about; it's how long he remains president.
georgeob1

Wed 22 Mar, 2017 03:27 pm
@blatham,
The article frankly sounds like a lot of projected fantasy and presumptions about the author's imagined knowledge of the the inner thoughts and motives of the Republican Congressional leaders he cites. Not worthy of the attention of serious people.
blatham

Wed 22 Mar, 2017 03:27 pm
Quote:
There, indeed, was an FBI wiretap involving Russians at Trump Tower.

But it was not placed at the behest of Barack Obama, and the target was not the Trump campaign of 2016. For two years ending in 2013, the FBI had a court-approved warrant to eavesdrop on a sophisticated Russian organized crime money-laundering network that operated out of unit 63A in Trump Tower in New York.

The FBI investigation led to a federal grand jury indictment of more than 30 people, including one of the world’s most notorious Russian mafia bosses, Alimzhan Tokhtakhounov. Known as the “Little Taiwanese,” he was the only target to slip away, and he remains a fugitive from American justice.

Seven months after the April 2013 indictment and after Interpol issued a red notice for Tokhtakhounov, he appeared near Donald Trump in the VIP section of the Miss Universe pageant in Moscow. Trump had sold the Russian rights for Miss Universe to a billionaire Russian shopping mall developer.
ABC
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 22 Mar, 2017 03:32 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
Not worthy of the attention of serious people.
There's a lot of serious people kicking about here. I report, they decide.
blatham

Wed 22 Mar, 2017 03:34 pm
I noted this yesterday, but Jay Rosen underlines how important it is that we grasp this fully
Quote:
Jay Rosen‏Verified account @jayrosen_nyu 27m27 minutes ago
I cannot tell you how vital it is to study and comprehend this argument. What journalism cannot be neutral toward. http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/3/22/14762030/donald-trump-tribal-epistemology
Baldimo

Wed 22 Mar, 2017 03:52 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
There's a lot of serious people kicking about here. I report, they decide.

You are completely blind to say this in the echo chamber you have created here on a2k. You don't want serious people, you want "yes men" to comment on your articles.
blatham

Wed 22 Mar, 2017 03:53 pm
This is the biggest, fattest instance of "if" I think I've ever seen...

Quote:
Joe Scarborough‏Verified account
@JoeNBC
If the Republican Party wants to do what is best for this country and its national security, they will remove Devin Nunes as Intel Chairman.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Wed 22 Mar, 2017 04:05 pm
@Baldimo,
You are the "no" man on campus. That's okay, because we should be privy to both sides of any issue.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Wed 22 Mar, 2017 04:15 pm
@blatham,
I'll put that on save for later; thanks for the link.

I am starting to begin my mornings almost swearing about all the bad stuff in the constant news cycle. Instead I modify it to a kind of chant of Sr. Mary Phillipa's scoldings: "doppusses!!", by my spelling of her word, which I remember as meaning "dumbbells!!", which she sometimes followed with rulers to the fingers. Yiddish or Low German, it says online. Not really a meditation by me in the morning, more my mildest expression of the italian work, agita'.

Sometimes childhood memories can be oddly soothing.