monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

layman

Wed 22 Mar, 2017 12:16 pm
The London mayor, Sadiq Khan (a muslim if you haven't guessed), said it's just part of living in London, eh?

Quote:
Mr Khan said he believes the threat of terror attacks are “part and parcel of living in a big city”. He added: “That means having a police force that is in touch with communities, ....[and] exchanging ideas and best practice."

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/3152554/donald-trump-london-terror-attack-response-parliament-shooting-westminster-bridge/

Yeah, just what London needs. More exchange of "ideas" with muslims, eh?

Well, London wanted a muslim mayor I guess, so.....
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 22 Mar, 2017 12:25 pm
All that is coming from the editorial side of the WSJ which is where the serious conservatives live, sip brandy and move through their days like solemn 17th century court dancers. They are beginning what looks like a call to arms against the Pussy Grabber. Why? Because he is maybe totally ******* up the project to rid America of liberal/progressive policy ideas and maybe doing serious damage to the GOP in future elections.
Quote:
But now he’s President, and he needs support beyond the Breitbart cheering section that will excuse anything.

That's a lie. Trump's support, sometimes tempered and often not, has come from the full range of sitting GOP politicos. But at least Gigot and buddies have found some need, however cynical, to isolate Breitbart as an extremist and nutty operation (though without mentioning Bannon, of course, as that's too close to home).

As I've argued before, the further Trump's popularity sinks, the more inclined the power sources around the modern GOP universe will want him gone. Precisely because of the damage he could do to movement conservative goals. Whether this is the first real movement in that direction isn't clear. Yet.

However, I'm sure that the voices on the right here (hello georgeob) will continue to insist that there's nothing abnormal about Der Trumper.
layman

Wed 22 Mar, 2017 12:30 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
However, I'm sure that the voices on the right here (hello georgeob) will continue to insist that there's nothing abnormal about Der Trumper.

Wrong. There are plenty of things about Trump that are "abnormal." That's exactly why he was elected and is the best man for the job.

It would be a problem if Wall Street loved Trump.
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 22 Mar, 2017 12:34 pm
From a TPM piece
Quote:
After a conversation with President Donald Trump that Tillerson described as “about the world,” the President offered him the position.

Please, Dear God, we beseech You... deliver unto us a transcript of this conversation about the world.
0 Replies

layman

Wed 22 Mar, 2017 12:34 pm
Trump never laid a brick, drove a nail, or poured concrete as far as I know. To him, constructing a building does not mean getting his hands dirty. But he knows how to find and hire guys who do and who are good at it. Like Steve Bannon, ya know?
0 Replies

georgeob1

Wed 22 Mar, 2017 12:41 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:
Re: georgeob1 (Post 6389022)
Quote:
Quote:
Perfect in all respects, except that the opposition party didn't find him acceptable.

How would they know he was "unacceptable" — they didn't even give him a hearing!

There was a lot of coverage when he was nominated by Obama of prior GOP members (Hatch, Inhofe, etc etc) and conservative outlets like NRO and even Red State referring to Garland in highly laudatory terms. This is easily established with a google search. George has rewired his brain for this occasion.

The Republican Majority in the Senate was clear that, in view of the forthcoming election and the prospect of a possible Republican President and larger republican majority in the Senate (both of which occurred), Garland was not an acceptable choice for them. Moreover, as they argued, USSC appointments by lame duck presidents in an election year are rare. This finding of unacceptability is an observable fact. The only rewiring here occurred in Blatham's propaganda universe, and as well in the self-perpetuating indignation of the leading democrats in the Congress.
layman

Wed 22 Mar, 2017 12:46 pm
Gorsuch was asked what his favorite sport was. He said he liked watching baseball and enjoyed playing billiards, but that his favorite sport was "kicking lib ass."
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 22 Mar, 2017 12:49 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
as they argued, USSC appointments by lame duck presidents in an election year are rare.
No law. no rule, no constitutional support uphold how McConnell acted in this circumstance. He merely acted as he did because he had the power and saw the possibility it might work to deny Obama a SC appointment.

Quote:
in view of the forthcoming election and the prospect of a possible Republican President and larger republican majority in the Senate (both of which occurred), Garland was not an acceptable choice for them.
Here's where you get it right. Garland became suddenly "unacceptable" simply and only as a consequence of McConnell figuring he could get away with destroying Senate norms.

Edit: And let's not forget this
Quote:
CNN reported on private remarks made by Senator Richard Burr, a North Carolina Republican up for reelection. He said that there will be no lame-duck confirmation, and then added, “And if Hillary Clinton becomes president, I am going to do everything I can do to make sure four years from now, we still got an opening on the Supreme Court.”

That aligns him with Senator Ted Cruz, who last week told Dave Weigel, “There is certainly long historical precedent for a Supreme Court with fewer justices. I would note, just recently, that Justice Breyer observed that the vacancy is not impacting the ability of the court to do its job. That’s a debate that we are going to have.”
Atlantic
georgeob1

Wed 22 Mar, 2017 12:51 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

All that is coming from the editorial side of the WSJ which is where the serious conservatives live, sip brandy and move through their days like solemn 17th century court dancers. ......
As I've argued before, the further Trump's popularity sinks, the more inclined the power sources around the modern GOP universe will want him gone. Precisely because of the damage he could do to movement conservative goals. Whether this is the first real movement in that direction isn't clear. Yet.

Oh I believe the unease within Republican ranks, particularly in the Congress, is real. We saw its precursors before the election in the disputes between the tea party conservatives and the centrists. The shape and boundaries of that divide has changed since the election, but the divide persists, as is evident in the debate over replacement Health Care legislation. Trump has staked out a very topical and meaningful agenda with high stakes for all involved.

I'm not sure what you have in mind with the term "abnormal", but if you consider Nancy Pelosi and Chuck Schumer to be normal, then I'm all for it.
blatham

Wed 22 Mar, 2017 01:04 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
I'm not sure what you have in mind with the term "abnormal"

Approval at 37% and declining at two months in.
WSJ editorial you read above, at two months in.
Constant obvious lies from Trump and team, every day so far but one.
An administration anything but finely tuned (or the above would not be so)
A POTUS with almost no grasp of international affairs, US history, political traditions or political theory, the constitution and who has a record of a confidence man who has defrauded countless businesses and individuals.
etc

Sheesh. You navy types apparently will be delighted to go down with the ship.
blatham

Wed 22 Mar, 2017 01:08 pm
Quote:
In mid-August, a month after Trump officially became the Republican nominee, Manafort resigned following reports that he helped a pro-Russian party in Ukraine secretly route payments to two prominent D.C. lobbying firms.

But the revelations surrounding Trump's former campaign chair aren't nearly over. The Associated Press reported this morning:
Quote:
President Donald Trump's former campaign chairman, Paul Manafort, secretly worked for a Russian billionaire to advance the interests of Russian President Vladimir Putin a decade ago and proposed an ambitious political strategy to undermine anti-Russian opposition across former Soviet republics, The Associated Press has learned. The work appears to contradict assertions by the Trump administration and Manafort himself that he never worked for Russian interests.

Manafort proposed in a confidential strategy plan as early as June 2005 that he would influence politics, business dealings and news coverage inside the United States, Europe and the former Soviet republics to benefit the Putin government, even as U.S.-Russia relations under Republican President George W. Bush grew worse.

Manafort pitched the plans to Russian aluminum magnate Oleg Deripaska, a close Putin ally with whom Manafort eventually signed a $10 million annual contract beginning in 2006, according to interviews with several people familiar with payments to Manafort and business records obtained by the AP. Manafort and Deripaska maintained a business relationship until at least 2009, according to one person familiar with the work.

In a memo at the time, Manafort wrote that his work "can greatly benefit the Putin Government" and "can re-focus, both internally and externally, the policies of the Putin government."
Benen
"Manafort? Manafort? Hmmm. I'm not sure I recall that name. He couldn't have any real or significant role in our team here".
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 22 Mar, 2017 01:18 pm
McConnell's plan - lose the Trumpcare vote really fast
Quote:
...If this plan were being pursued by a John Boehner or a Paul Ryan, one might chalk it up to terrible vote-counting or wild optimism. But McConnell isn’t a hopeless optimist. He’s the smartest political tactician of the modern era. The default assumption on any McConnell plan should be that it rationally pursues a coherent goal. In this case, McConnell has almost certainly sized up his caucus and grasped that Trumpcare stands no chance of resuscitation. A long bleed-out on health care will make Trump and his party even less popular, and chew up precious months during which the Republicans could instead be making use of their full control of government. The plan being pursued by McConnell is that of a man who wants to cut his losses fast.
NYMag
I'm guessing Chait gets this exactly right.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Wed 22 Mar, 2017 01:25 pm
@blatham,
Can't emphasize that enough; Trump lies over 70% of the time. Why people still believe and support him is a mystery of huge perportions.
https://www.google.com/amp/www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/when-president-simply-lies-too-much/amp
georgeob1

Wed 22 Mar, 2017 01:33 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:
I'm not sure what you have in mind with the term "abnormal"

Approval at 37% and declining at two months in.
WSJ editorial you read above, at two months in.
Constant obvious lies from Trump and team, every day so far but one.
An administration anything but finely tuned (or the above would not be so)
A POTUS with almost no grasp of international affairs, US history, political traditions or political theory, the constitution and who has a record of a confidence man who has defrauded countless businesses and individuals.
etc

Sheesh. You navy types apparently will be delighted to go down with the ship.

There is indeed a lot of controversy over the Trump agenda: the stakes are very high on these important issues, and, apart from stylistic issues, I fully support it.

I'm not sure just how you define a "grasp on international affairs", however I certainly don't think that apology tours, unenforced red lines, fatuous "resets" of relations, whispered reassurances to Russian leaders that "I'll have more flexibility after the election", and unilateral disarmament accompanied by the refusal to even name an enduring strategic threat constitute such a grasp either.

In fact I believe that in citing the failure of our NATO allies to live up to their agreements to NATO, a now firmer policy with respect to the South China Sea and North Korea, various trade issues and enforcement of existing immigration law, Trump has demonstrated a rather better grasp than that of his hapless predecessor.

Navy types prefer winning to going down with the ship at all. This brings to mind a folk hero at the Naval Academy, Philo McGiffin, a Midshipman from the class of 1884. According to the folklore he is credited with a famous paraphrase of Oliver Hazards Perry's words in a storm before the Battle of Lake Eire "If the mast goes I go with it " . Philo's version uttered during a storm on a weekend cruise in the Chesapeake was , " If the mast goes, **** it, we'll get a new one in Norfolk" . Available commissions were few in those days of limited funding so Philo got a commission in the then Chinese Navy and server on a battleship in a Sino French War of 1885 and later was wounded in a battle in the Sino Japanese War in 1894.
McGentrix

Wed 22 Mar, 2017 01:42 pm
@georgeob1,
I see polls have Trump at 44% and 46% on another. Certainly not glowing numbers. But definitely not 37% either. Blatham has to cherry pick the obviously biased poll that fits his narrative like always.

Some things will never change, but what can you really expect for a rape apologist.
blatham

Wed 22 Mar, 2017 02:16 pm
@McGentrix,
Quote:
Some things will never change, but what can you really expect for a rape apologist.

Do you really want to play the game that deceitfully? Give me a yes or a no and whether I move you to ignore will hinge on your answer.
izzythepush

Wed 22 Mar, 2017 02:18 pm
@edgarblythe,
Especially when he's tried to make a virtue out of sexual abuse by using Agent Orange's pussy grabbing statement as his avatar. Monumental hypocrisy.
cicerone imposter

Wed 22 Mar, 2017 02:22 pm
@McGentrix,
What's your source for the 44-46%?
izzythepush

Wed 22 Mar, 2017 02:23 pm
@blatham,
Of course he does. It's all he's got.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Wed 22 Mar, 2017 02:24 pm
@McGentrix,
Don't you get it? It's not about "glowing." It's about the majority saying "no."