monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

hightor

Wed 22 Mar, 2017 10:32 am
@georgeob1,
Quote:
Perfect in all respects, except that the opposition party didn't find him acceptable.

How would they know he was "unacceptable" — they didn't even give him a hearing!
glitterbag

Wed 22 Mar, 2017 11:29 am
@hightor,
You must take a look at today's Wall Street Journal's editorial. It's brutal. I'm about to leave for an appoint and can't provide a link, but if you google 'Wall Street Journal' it pops up. Double yikes.
Baldimo

Wed 22 Mar, 2017 11:39 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Moss!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Wed 22 Mar, 2017 11:40 am
@glitterbag,
According to the WSJ article, most consider Trump as "fake president." Must crush his ego.
blatham

Wed 22 Mar, 2017 11:42 am
@georgeob1,
Quote:
Classic Blatham propaganda

pssst.... you still don't know what that term means.
0 Replies

layman

Wed 22 Mar, 2017 11:42 am
ISIS done fucked up. This may be the ONLY was to get British lawmakers to quit coddling those savages:

Quote:
UK Parliament terror attack: Two people killed, cop stabbed -- more than a dozen injured/

Parliament is on lockdown and police say the incident is ongoing.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/03/22/uk-parliament-terror-attack-two-people-killed-cop-stabbed-more-than-dozen-injured.html

blatham

Wed 22 Mar, 2017 11:44 am
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
I agree with you in the main, but insist most Democrat politicians are complicit in allowing or even helping it happen. They are liberal on a few social issues, but suck at the teat in the final analysis.

I'm not clear on what you mean here by "it".
cicerone imposter

Wed 22 Mar, 2017 11:46 am
@layman,
Is that supposed to be English?
edgarblythe

Wed 22 Mar, 2017 11:46 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:
I agree with you in the main, but insist most Democrat politicians are complicit in allowing or even helping it happen. They are liberal on a few social issues, but suck at the teat in the final analysis.

I'm not clear on what you mean here by "it".

Oligarchy
hightor

Wed 22 Mar, 2017 11:47 am
@glitterbag,
Wow!

I'd need a subscription to read the full article but it's being referenced all over the web.

Ha - the spear carriers are going to have a tough time blaming this on the sneauflake press!
blatham

Wed 22 Mar, 2017 11:47 am
@McGentrix,
I'm not sure who you might have been speaking to when you wrote that, McG, but you really ought to apologize for your working assumption of how stupid they are.
0 Replies

layman

Wed 22 Mar, 2017 11:49 am
@cicerone imposter,
Yeah, Limeys, Al. That's kinda what "UK" stands for, ya know?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Wed 22 Mar, 2017 11:49 am
@hightor,
Don't you mind cause Sir Trump calls it fake news.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Wed 22 Mar, 2017 11:50 am
@edgarblythe,
Did I really just read this?
0 Replies

glitterbag

Wed 22 Mar, 2017 11:52 am
@hightor,
I'll copy it for you later, but I need the laptop. Haven't figured out how to do it on an IPad. I tell you what, the WSJ can surprise me.......but this was blistering.
blatham

Wed 22 Mar, 2017 11:58 am
@hightor,
Quote:
Re: georgeob1 (Post 6389022)
Quote:
Quote:
Perfect in all respects, except that the opposition party didn't find him acceptable.

How would they know he was "unacceptable" — they didn't even give him a hearing!

There was a lot of coverage when he was nominated by Obama of prior GOP members (Hatch, Inhofe, etc etc) and conservative outlets like NRO and even Red State referring to Garland in highly laudatory terms. This is easily established with a google search. George has rewired his brain for this occasion.
layman

Wed 22 Mar, 2017 12:01 pm
@layman,
It appears that guns, knives, and autombiles were all used as weapons, with shots being fired at Parliament.

Quote:
Leader of the House, David Lidington, told MPs in session that a serious incident had taken place "within the estate."

Pictures showed scenes of carnage in the aftermath of the attack, which happened as parliament was in session. One member of the British government gave mouth-to-mouth resuscitation to one of those injured.

"The Leader of the House has told us it's been confirmed that one police officer here has been stabbed. It appeared that a car was coming towards the House of Commons mowing down pedestrians on the way and the driver then got access to the parliamentary estate stabbed a police officer and was shot."

Images emerged of a car crashed into the perimeter gate of Parliament, and witnesses later told CNN that they saw the vehicle mow down pedestrians.

"I heard -- rather than saw -- what I took to be a collision, like a car hitting a sheet of metal, and then I looked again and I saw people down on the streets, on the tarmac," witness Radek Sikorski told CNN by phone.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/22/europe/uk-parliament-firearms-incident/

I'm waiting for some cheese-eater to once again "explain" that if you had been as badly treated as muslims, you too would attack Parliament, ya know?
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 22 Mar, 2017 12:04 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
Oligarchy

That's really a different subject, edgar.
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 22 Mar, 2017 12:07 pm
Dangnab coincidences
Quote:
Lawyer for Russian Whistleblower’s Family Falls Out of Window
Nikolai Gorokhov was due to appear in court to discuss the death of Sergei Magnitsky

MOSCOW—A lawyer representing the family of dead Russian whistleblower Sergei Magnitsky was in a serious condition after a fall from a four-story building ahead of a key court appearance, Mr Magnitsky's former employer said Wednesday.
WSJ
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 22 Mar, 2017 12:10 pm
@glitterbag,
I've found a published copy of today's WSJ editorial. Posted in full...
Quote:
OPINION REVIEW & OUTLOOK
A President’s Credibility
Trump’s falsehoods are eroding public trust, at home and abroad.
Close

President Donald Trump in the Oval Office, March 21.
President Donald Trump in the Oval Office, March 21. PHOTO: ASSOCIATED PRESS
March 21, 2017 7:28 p.m. ET
212 COMMENTS
If President Trump announces that North Korea launched a missile that landed within 100 miles of Hawaii, would most Americans believe him? Would the rest of the world? We’re not sure, which speaks to the damage that Mr. Trump is doing to his Presidency with his seemingly endless stream of exaggerations, evidence-free accusations, implausible denials and other falsehoods.

The latest example is Mr. Trump’s refusal to back off his Saturday morning tweet of three weeks ago that he had “found out that [Barack] Obama had my ‘wires tapped’ in Trump Tower just before the victory” on Election Day. He has offered no evidence for his claim, and a parade of intelligence officials, senior Republicans and Democrats have since said they have seen no such evidence.

Yet the President clings to his assertion like a drunk to an empty gin bottle, rolling out his press spokesman to make more dubious claims. Sean Spicer—who doesn’t deserve this treatment—was dispatched last week to repeat an assertion by a Fox News commentator that perhaps the Obama Administration had subcontracted the wiretap to British intelligence.

That bungle led to a public denial from the British Government Communications Headquarters, and British news reports said the U.S. apologized. But then the White House claimed there was no apology. For the sake of grasping for any evidence to back up his original tweet, and the sin of pride in not admitting error, Mr. Trump had his spokesman repeat an unchecked TV claim that insulted an ally.

The wiretap tweet is also costing Mr. Trump politically as he hands his opponents a sword. Mr. Trump has a legitimate question about why the U.S. was listening to his former National Security Adviser Michael Flynn, and who leaked news of his meeting with the Russian ambassador. But that question never gets a hearing because the near-daily repudiation of his false tweet is a bigger media story.

FBI director James Comey also took revenge on Monday by joining the queue of those saying the bureau has no evidence to back up the wiretap tweet. Mr. Comey even took the unusual step of confirming that the FBI is investigating ties between the Trump election campaign and Russia.

Mr. Comey said he could make such a public admission only in “unusual circumstances,” but why now? Could the wiretap tweet have made Mr. Comey angry because it implied the FBI was involved in illegal surveillance? Mr. Trump blundered in keeping Mr. Comey in the job after the election, but now the President can’t fire the man leading an investigation into his campaign even if he wants to.

All of this continues the pattern from the campaign that Mr. Trump is his own worst political enemy. He survived his many false claims as a candidate because his core supporters treated it as mere hyperbole and his opponent was untrustworthy Hillary Clinton. But now he’s President, and he needs support beyond the Breitbart cheering section that will excuse anything. As he is learning with the health-care bill, Mr. Trump needs partners in his own party to pass his agenda. He also needs friends abroad who are willing to trust him when he asks for support, not least in a crisis.

This week should be dominated by the smooth political sailing for Mr. Trump’s Supreme Court nominee and the progress of health-care reform on Capitol Hill. These are historic events, and success will show he can deliver on his promises. But instead the week has been dominated by the news that he was repudiated by his own FBI director.

Two months into his Presidency, Gallup has Mr. Trump’s approval rating at 39%. No doubt Mr. Trump considers that fake news, but if he doesn’t show more respect for the truth most Americans may conclude he’s a fake President.
Appeared in the Mar. 22, 2017, print edition.

0 Replies