monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

farmerman

Sun 27 Nov, 2016 06:14 pm
@blatham,
doesnt that condition go back to the "motor voter" registration and the 1993 voter registration Law?.
Perhaps several million motor voters (illegals) have their car registered and themselves at the same time.

How many of these folks are actually voting and taking part in something we let them take part in?.
blatham

Sun 27 Nov, 2016 06:26 pm
@farmerman,
Not sure what you are asking, farmerman. That the claims of X million fraudulent voters arise or arose from the act?
farmerman

Sun 27 Nov, 2016 06:28 pm
@blatham,
seems so, although, as the snopes thing implied, no evidence (including Va)
blatham

Sun 27 Nov, 2016 06:34 pm
@farmerman,
That might be so but my understanding is that the act as written did not simply give a voting pass for anyone who got a driver's licence. Other evidence of eligibility to cast a legal vote was required.
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 27 Nov, 2016 06:37 pm
Here's Politifact on the claim
http://www.politifact.com/punditfact/statements/2016/nov/18/blog-posting/no-3-million-undocumented-immigrants-did-not-vote-/
layman

Sun 27 Nov, 2016 06:37 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

seems so, although, as the snopes thing implied, no evidence (including Va)

No evidence, in Virginia, eh? There is, but, of course, they also prevent access to most of the information necessary to even investigate.

http://able2know.org/topic/355218-6#post-6311356
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 27 Nov, 2016 06:43 pm
Let's take a look at Paul Weyrich who founded the Heritage Foundation and ALEC and who co-founded the Moral Majority with Falwell. Here's a video of him speaking in Dallas 1980 about voting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GBAsFwPglw
0 Replies

RABEL222

Sun 27 Nov, 2016 06:49 pm
@blatham,
The fact check sites are a joke. They dont bother to check the statement themselves but say unproven which gives the claim same validity. The media has no honesty any more and I dont trust any of them to be truthful.
blatham

Sun 27 Nov, 2016 07:09 pm
@RABEL222,
Far too broad a brush there, rabel. I'm really nowhere near your position.
blatham

Sun 27 Nov, 2016 08:16 pm
This is getting better. The NYT headline now on the Trump tweet we've been discussing reads as follows:
Quote:
Trump Claims ‘Millions’ Voted Illegally, Citing No Evidence

And the Washington post does it better still:
Quote:
Trump makes baseless claim that millions voted illegally for Clinton

As Jay Rosen of NYU argued in a recent post, media fails when it headlines a false claim and doesn't get around to noting that it is false until well into the article. It's a matter of framing. In the failing instances, the notion communicated sets up the "he said/she said" form which distorts the real world. That's what makes the WP headline intellectually proper.

And Glen Kessler, fact checker at the WP has further on this http://wapo.st/2gwB1Vy
RABEL222

Sun 27 Nov, 2016 08:20 pm
@blatham,
The fact that almost all the media is owned by the 1% makes me mistrust all of it. I worked for someone else all my life and had to do as I was told or would have lost my job. What makes you think it is any different in the media?
ehBeth

Sun 27 Nov, 2016 08:32 pm
@RABEL222,
That's not necessarily true, rabel. The best factcheck sites give you references that you can follow up independently. If they don't provide the back-up , then of course they are questionable.

Factcheckers are not the same as media.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Sun 27 Nov, 2016 08:34 pm
@RABEL222,
Again, good fact checking sites are not media.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Sun 27 Nov, 2016 08:39 pm
@blatham,
If Trump is prone to make baseless claims, how secure can we be?
0 Replies

layman

Sun 27 Nov, 2016 10:25 pm
Liberal thinking personified:

Quote:
Former National Press Secretary for Senator Bernie Sanders (I-VT) Symone Sanders, reacted to an incident of a man who was beaten by a group of people [saying]:
"... one traffic light beating is a good start, because it pays back hundreds of thousands of lynches, crucifies, hangings, mutilations and other gruesome ways in which white people toyed with black slaves in the past. We as a race deserve payback for centuries of black slavery and if stopping white people in their cars and pulling them out and beating them up in the middle of the street is the way to accomplish that, it’s better than nothing,”

And of course she knows the white guy "started" all of this by insulting his black attackers:

Quote:
"... if you start provoking and insulting people whom you used to oppress and consider a lower race up until yesterday, there will be consequences. And as far as I’m concerned – that’s exactly what happened in Chicago.”

EXACTLY what happened, no question.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Sun 27 Nov, 2016 10:48 pm
@blatham,
I am having a hard time time following along. Are you saying that the election was rigged or wasn't rigged?

That it WAS rigged, but only so Trump would win? That it was rigged and Trump won anyways?

What is your actual position on this?
McGentrix

Sun 27 Nov, 2016 10:52 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:
Why not both?

No reason to think so. Trump's two choices (that we know of) are both key figures in the christian right movement. Neither have degrees in education. Both are deeply invested in christian educational goals. Both are influential political activists in the GOP.

So?

I don't think they would be the first or the last. Are you saying that these qualifications would make them some how unable to perform their jobs?
layman

Sun 27 Nov, 2016 10:59 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

Are you saying that these qualifications would make them some how unable to perform their jobs?

What he's saying, loud and clear, I think, Gent, is that he's a hackneyed left-wing ideologue.

Only atheists who are influential political activists in the Democratic party are qualified to be appointed to positions in Trump's cabinet, cancha see?
0 Replies

layman

Sun 27 Nov, 2016 11:05 pm
"... one traffic light beating is a good start, because it pays back hundreds of thousands of lynches, crucifies, hangings, mutilations and other gruesome ways in which white people toyed with black slaves in the past."

Well, I suppose it's a meager start, but there is obviously a shitload of "payback" still due.
0 Replies

giujohn

Mon 28 Nov, 2016 03:35 am
@RABEL222,
RABEL222 wrote:

The fact that almost all the media is owned by the 1% makes me mistrust all of it. I worked for someone else all my life and had to do as I was told or would have lost my job. What makes you think it is any different in the media?

Ah...that's why you're so angry all the time...if you had any brains or guts you would have quit the job.