monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

blatham

Sun 27 Nov, 2016 04:20 pm
@McGentrix,
Quote:
Why not both?

No reason to think so. Trump's two choices (that we know of) are both key figures in the christian right movement. Neither have degrees in education. Both are deeply invested in christian educational goals. Both are influential political activists in the GOP.
revelette2

Sun 27 Nov, 2016 04:45 pm
@blatham,
As usual with Trump there is another side coming out of his mouth.

I won the popular vote if you deduct the millions who voted illegally.
blatham

Sun 27 Nov, 2016 04:50 pm
Quote:
Donald J. Trump ✔ @realDonaldTrump
In addition to winning the Electoral College in a landslide, I won the popular vote if you deduct the millions of people who voted illegally
12:30 PM - 27 Nov 2016

He's either insane or he's lying. I don't find comfort in either option. For him to be doing this sort of stuff, still, tells us how he is going to act as president, if we didn't understand that already.

There's no rational track one can follow in Trump's statements on twitter or in speeches/interviews regarding the integrity of votes in this election.
1) He first claimed, in numerous instances, that the election was rigged. Not only that but he implied that if he did not win, it would be because of rigging, and that this would result in an uprising of his supporters
2) After winning, he dropped any commentary of election rigging. This disappeared entirely
3) Now that a recount in three states look to be going ahead, he is back to the rigging claims. And not in any tempered or polite manner, but rather as an angry tantrum.
4) His claim in the tweet above is unsubstantiated by any evidence whatsoever and given the 2 million plus Clinton advantage it is a completely nutty thing for him to say.
5) By making that claim, he is undercutting his own prior stance that the election was not rigged and legitimate (because he won).

So, what's he up to? The same thing we've seen pretty much throughout the campaign. Where he faces criticism or opposition, he will immediately set to a course defamation of those critics and of trying to bully them into submission. And, importantly, to working up his supporters and his base to join him in crushing who ever is responsible.

Edit: I am going to add a comment from Josh Marshall that gets to something I ought to have noted.
Quote:
It would be entirely normal for someone like Mitt Romney, who had excoriated the incoming president in such blistering and personal terms, to be passed over when it came to putting together a new administration. Some criticisms and breaches are just too hard to get past. But the current drama over Mitt Romney's possible nomination to be Secretary of State points to something quite different: the ritual humiliation of opponents, critics and all who have resisted that Trump yoke that is central to the Trump world. We saw it repeatedly during the campaign and it continues into the transition.
http://bit.ly/2gw6DKU
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 27 Nov, 2016 04:51 pm
@revelette2,
Yes. Just wrote on that.
0 Replies

layman

Sun 27 Nov, 2016 04:59 pm
@revelette2,
Until it got to California, Trump was winning the popular vote, wasn't he?

Quote:
WIKILEAKS: Podesta Says It’s OK for Illegals to Vote With Driver’s License.

John Podesta: "On the picture ID, the one thing I have thought of in that space is that if you show up on Election Day with a drivers license with a picture, attest that you are a citizen, you have a right to vote in Federal elections."

12 states and the District of Columbia allow driver’s licenses to illegal immigrants. Almost half of California’s driver’s licenses went to illegal aliens last year.

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2016/10/wikileaks-podesta-says-ok-illegals-vote-drivers-licence/

One voting fraud organization claimed to have verfied that over 3 million illegal aliens voted in this election.

Gee, I wonder why so many Democratically-controlled major "sanctuary" cities refuse to help enforce immigration law, eh?

Nice try, cheese-eaters.
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 27 Nov, 2016 05:08 pm
Interesting background tidbits from Politico on this story:
Quote:
Stories about 3 million illegal votes in the 2016 general election have been popular in some right-wing circles, popularized by Alex Jones, Milo Yiannopoulos and others.

The stories seem to have originated Nov. 13 with someone named Gregg Phillips, who claims to be the founder of a voting app named VoteStand and who was previously associated with Newt Gingrich's Winning Our Future super PAC. No evidence exists that those stories are correct, and Phillips has declined to provide any evidence to reporters or PolitiFact (which ruled the theory false) to support his claims.
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 27 Nov, 2016 05:11 pm
Quote:
David Frum ‏@davidfrum 2h2 hours ago
Donald Trump will be sworn in as president because this country respects the law. But never forget: he doesn’t. Be prepared for the worst.
Yes.

And in a subsequent tweet, Frum makes a bright prediction - that what Trump is saying now about huge levels of election fraud WILL be used up the road to put further barriers on voting (by guess who).
0 Replies

georgeob1

Sun 27 Nov, 2016 05:22 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

But as Trump is not and never has been much interested in policy, there might be room for education on, for example, the real consequences to millions of Americans if the ACA is dismantled. But I'd imagine the time likely wasted as Trump will be pushed in other directions.
How do you know Trump "is not and never has been interested in policy"? You appear to earnestly believe that your onfounded prejudices are reality. You have no factual basis for this assertion at all. Trump's policy propsals were judged to be better and more likely to produce needed results than those of the progrerssive establishment he defeated in the recent election.

blatham wrote:

But that's not what I was referring to. Rather, to the fullest possible briefings on the range of duties/responsibilities Trump will face in the WH, protocols for intel, on-going matters around the world that the US is engaged in, etc. Trump expressed surprise at the magnitude of this after the first such meeting. The sort of hand-over briefs that are necessary for a smooth transition.
They are indeed, and Trump expressed his appreciation for them. I would be suspicious of anyone who suggested there weasn't a lot involved in the job
blatham wrote:
For example, if you turned over command of your carrier (let's imagine it had nukes on board) to someone who has previously only sailed as a passenger in his private yacht.
All our deployed cariers carried a significant (~125) store of "nukes" through the mid 1990s. Experience isn't the only or most significant requirement for effective leadership . Kings and lifetime autocrats had lots of it but their historical track record is mixed at best. Same goes for Military leaders.

blatham wrote:

Quote:
You appear to be adopting the point of view of a liberal diety passing benign judgment on the unfolding scene below you.
Goodness. I do hope you are not offended. I have striven all my life to be politically correct and I'd hate to think I was failing in this most sincere of goals.
I'm not offended at all: merely bemused at the god-like perspective you assume for yourself. (Moreover I'm not persuaded that we should blame the smarmy doctrines of political correctitude for such delusions..

[/quote]
georgeob1

Sun 27 Nov, 2016 05:25 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:
Why not both?

No reason to think so. Trump's two choices (that we know of) are both key figures in the christian right movement. Neither have degrees in education. Both are deeply invested in christian educational goals. Both are influential political activists in the GOP.

I've spent a lot of tiome in schools and enjoyed the exposure to some wonferful teachers (a few awful ones too). None of them had degrees in Education. Knowledge of the subject matter, the ability to see the process through the perceptions of those being taught and talents in communication were the important traits.
cicerone imposter

Sun 27 Nov, 2016 05:26 pm
@georgeob1,

Trump on Radical Islam

In his speech on foreign policy on Wednesday, Donald J. Trump explained his approach to radical Islam, saying, "We must stop importing extremism through senseless immigration policies."
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS on Publish Date April 27, 2016. This is a transcript of Donald J. Trump’s foreign policy remarks, as transcribed by the Federal News Service.

Thank you for the opportunity to speak to you, and thank you to the Center for National Interest for honoring me with this invitation. It truly is a great honor. I’d like to talk today about how to develop a new foreign policy direction for our country, one that replaces randomness with purpose, ideology with strategy, and chaos with peace.

It’s time to shake the rust off America’s foreign policy. It’s time to invite new voices and new visions into the fold, something we have to do. The direction I will outline today will also return us to a timeless principle. My foreign policy will always put the interests of the American people and American security above all else. It has to be first. Has to be.

That will be the foundation of every single decision that I will make.

America First will be the major and overriding theme of my administration. But to chart our path forward, we must first briefly take a look back. We have a lot to be proud of.
0 Replies

layman

Sun 27 Nov, 2016 05:27 pm
Quote:
A new report by the Public Interest Legal Foundation (PILF) and Virginia Voters Alliance (VVA) has discovered an “alien invasion in Virginia” and the subsequent coverup by the state in allowing non-U.S. citizens to vote.

In the investigation, both PILF and VVA “found 1,046 aliens who registered to vote illegally.” And that was only a small sample, only across eight counties in the state who responded to the requests. “The problem is most certainly exponentially worse because we have no data regarding aliens on the registration rolls for the other 125 Virginia localities,” the report states.

These two organizations ran into several roadblocks in trying to obtain the information for the report. One of those is the Driver’s Privacy Protection Act (DPPA) invoked by Virginia’s election commissioner Edgardo Cortes who prevented the watchdog groups from the access to the public records. Because the illegal aliens were prompted to register to vote when they applied for driver’s licenses at the DMV, the DPPA protects them.

States that have tried to remedy this problem by asking registrants to prove their citizenship with documentary proof have uniformly been stonewalled by litigation brought by our own Department of Justice and legions of attorneys working with left-leaning voter groups committed to keeping ineligible voters on the rolls.

http://www.truthrevolt.org/news/report-coverup-virginia-how-many-illegal-aliens-voting

Nice try, cheese-eaters.

0 Replies

blatham

Sun 27 Nov, 2016 05:34 pm
Isn't this bright
Quote:
Nathaniel Friedman ‏@freedarko 3h3 hours ago
"I won the election but it was still rigged" is the ultimate in trying to stay victor and victim at the same time
blatham

Sun 27 Nov, 2016 05:41 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
How do you know Trump "is not and never has been interested in policy"? You appear to earnestly believe that your onfounded prejudices are reality. You have no factual basis for this assertion at all.

We do tend to get a lot of information regarding what is in an individuals mind through the convenience of what they say and what they write. For example, that you have an interest in and have studied the classic period of Rome is known be me and others. That Sarah Palin knows next to nothing about the world or US history or the functioning of the WH is known by all of us because of her speech and written acts (not to mention through accounts from those who attempted to tutor her - none of which came as revelation.
Quote:
Trump's policy propsals were judged to be better and more likely to produce needed results than those of the progrerssive establishment he defeated in the recent election.
The opposite is true. The majority of Americans did not vote for Trump.
0 Replies

layman

Sun 27 Nov, 2016 05:42 pm
@blatham,
Yeah, right, eh? A boxer who takes 16 illegal punches to the groin in the first round before knocking the bastard out has no right to mention the fouls, because, after all, he won, that kinda the idea?
0 Replies

georgeob1

Sun 27 Nov, 2016 05:45 pm
@blatham,
Not really. I suspect Trump was referring to some voter fraud such as was outlined in the post above yours. His implicit claim is he won in spite of it - not at all difficult to figure that out. The depth of your analysis here is a bit underwhelming.

There certainly has been a persistent widespread and well organized campaign by Democrats to prevent States from requiring proof of citizenship in meeting their voter eligibility enforcement responsibilities. The central argument against requirements against such measures as requiring documentary proof of identity, etc have been based on an alleged "disproportionate effect on minorities. Perhaps they will next campaign against exactly the same requirements for getting credit in any form, a passport or even getting on a commercial aircraft.
blatham

Sun 27 Nov, 2016 05:50 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
I've spent a lot of tiome in schools and enjoyed the exposure to some wonferful teachers (a few awful ones too). None of them had degrees in Education. Knowledge of the subject matter, the ability to see the process through the perceptions of those being taught and talents in communication were the important traits.

You had no teachers with professional teacher training gained through upper ed? Hard to imagine how that happened. But let's say it was so. How would you then be able to make a serious comparison?

One of the commonplaces of being in a classroom is bumping into parents (or others) who believe they could do the job with ease, right from the get-go and without familiarity with or questioning of the range of philosophies of the enterprise or proven techniques and through just using ideas they have in their noggins. They can be nice people and some might make fine teachers indeed. The rest are just thoughtless fools.
0 Replies

layman

Sun 27 Nov, 2016 05:53 pm
If in was in fact (gasp!) Russians who revealed Podestas' plot to steal the election, then the cheese-eaters will claim Russian are"deciding our elections," eh?

They have no problem if Mexicans actually do, directly, decide our elections though, if it benefits them.

Go figure.
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 27 Nov, 2016 05:55 pm
@georgeob1,
re voter fraud etc

Seriously, george. I'm not going to bother with you on this subject until I have some indication you've put in any time at all in studying the matter.
0 Replies

layman

Sun 27 Nov, 2016 05:56 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

Not really. I suspect Trump was referring to some voter fraud such as was outlined in the post above yours.

He doesn't see my posts, George, which no doubt aids his delusion that nobody could possibly challenge his unsupported claims.
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 27 Nov, 2016 06:01 pm
Snopes on the "millions of illegal aliens voted in the election" bs and who's responsible. InfoWars, which Trump has been on many times and who Trump thanked after the election, right in the middle of it.
http://www.snopes.com/three-million-votes-in-presidential-election-cast-by-illegal-aliens/