monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

Walter Hinteler

Mon 20 Mar, 2017 10:58 am
@McGentrix,
It was my response to your
Quote:
the idea that social services are "rights". That sounds awful fishy

So I do live in a fishy country since it's a constitutional right here. A right that can never be changed, even by parliament.
MontereyJack

Mon 20 Mar, 2017 11:00 am
Trump has now cracked the 40. Zpercent approval barrier and is stiil headed down. Gallup 37 percent. A drop of 7 ppoints in two months. The country at large is rejecting him and his destructive agenda.
McGentrix

Mon 20 Mar, 2017 11:01 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Maybe my German isn't as good as it used to be. Where in that post you made does it say that you have a right to social services?
McGentrix

Mon 20 Mar, 2017 11:03 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:

Trump has now cracked the 40. Zpercent approval barrier and is stiil headed down. Gallup 37 percent. A drop of 7 ppoints in two months. The country at large is rejecting him and his destructive agenda.

Nonsense. Rasmussen has him at 49. Still low, but they are probably polling too many cheese eaters.
Walter Hinteler

Mon 20 Mar, 2017 11:13 am
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:
Maybe my German isn't as good as it used to be.
I'm not sure to what period you are referring - our Basic Law was approved on 8 May 1949 in Bonn, and, with the signature of the western Allies of World War II on 12 May, came into effect on 23 May.
McGentrix wrote:
Where in that post you made does it say that you have a right to social services?
Social security (and service) in Germany is codified on the Sozialgesetzbuch ("Social Code").
There's an own system of social courts (Sozialgericht), up to the Federal Social Court.
saab

Mon 20 Mar, 2017 11:16 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter ...that one will be very difficult to contradict.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Mon 20 Mar, 2017 11:17 am
FBI Director James Comey and NSA Director Admiral Rodgers are answering questions from the House Intelligence Committee as I write:

NSA Director: No evidence U.K. involved in any wiretap; wiretap allegation clearly frustrates key ally; Claims we wiretaped Trump campaign outrageous

FBI Director: Confirms investigating Russian Election Meddling; Probe into election meddling began in July; investigating possible links between Trump associates and Russia; Yes, Russia is adversary of the US; No President could order a wiretap;

At 13:15 EST the hearing continues
Walter Hinteler

Mon 20 Mar, 2017 11:32 am
@Walter Hinteler,
"Charities" do quite often the work here instead of federal/state/regional offices - that is called the "Subsidaritätsprinzip" (subsidarity principle).
(The term "subsidiarity" in English follows the German usage Subsidiarität (1809 or earlier in legal use; 1931 in the context of Catholic social doctrine, since 1949 in the Social Law)
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Mon 20 Mar, 2017 11:33 am
0 Replies

McGentrix

Mon 20 Mar, 2017 11:34 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

McGentrix wrote:
Maybe my German isn't as good as it used to be.
I'm not sure to what period you are referring - our Basic Law was approved on 8 May 1949 in Bonn, and, with the signature of the western Allies of World War II on 12 May, came into effect on 23 May.
McGentrix wrote:
Where in that post you made does it say that you have a right to social services?
Social security (and service) in Germany is codified on the Sozialgesetzbuch ("Social Code").
There's an own system of social courts (Sozialgericht), up to the Federal Social Court.

What period? You've lost me here Walter. How about this, post the part that says you have a right to social services. I mean like copy and paste the sentence or paragraph.

English would be preferred, but I can probably get through the German if necessary.
MontereyJack

Mon 20 Mar, 2017 11:38 am
@McGentrix,
Rasmussen has a well documented Repub bias. They rely onn telephone polls wphichare way off mnow that a majohrity of the country does not have a landline and those whodo6nn't skew youngrr hence more Dem .
Walter Hinteler

Mon 20 Mar, 2017 11:41 am
@McGentrix,

Walter Hinteler wrote:
Quote:
(1) The Federal Republic of Germany is a democratic and social federal state.
MontereyJack

Mon 20 Mar, 2017 11:54 am
Comey says FBI investigating Trump-Russia collusion.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Mon 20 Mar, 2017 12:03 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:
What period? You've lost me here Walter.
You must refer at least to a time before 1913. (The "Reichsversicherungsordnung" [Law on Social Insurance] became law in that year.)
0 Replies

old europe

Mon 20 Mar, 2017 12:22 pm
So far, two findings from today's congressional hearing Trump's wiretap claims and Russia's role in the election:

• There's nothing to support Trump's lunatic tweets about Obama wiretapping Trump Tower
  • The FBI is investigating whether there was a coordinated effort of the Trump campaign and the Kremlin to sway the 2016 elections

Quote:
FBI Director Comey: Justice Dept. has no information that supports Trump’s tweets alleging he was wiretapped by Obama

FBI Director James B. Comey on Monday said there is “no information” that supports President Trump’s claims that his predecessor ordered surveillance of Trump Tower during the election campaign.

“I have no information that supports those tweets,’’ said Comey, testifying at the House Intelligence Committee’s first public hearing on Russian interference in the 2016 campaign. “We have looked carefully inside the FBI,’’ and agents found nothing to support those claims, he said.

The hearing comes amid the controversy fired up by Trump more than two weeks ago when he tweeted, without providing evidence, that President Barack Obama had ordered his phones tapped at Trump Tower.

Under questioning from the top Democrat on the panel, Rep. Adam Schiff (Calif.), Comey said no president could order such surveillance. He added that the Justice Department had asked him to also tell the committee that that agency has no such information, either.

Comey also acknowledged the existence of a counterintelligence investigation into the Russian government’s efforts to interfere in the 2016 election, and said that probe extends to the nature of any links between Trump campaign associates and the Russian government.

Comey said the investigation is also exploring whether there was any coordination between the campaign and the Kremlin, and “whether any crimes were committed.”

The acknowledgment was an unusual move, given that the FBI’s practice is not to confirm the existence of ongoing investigations. “But in unusual circumstances, where it is in the public interest,” Comey said, “it may be appropriate to do so.”

Comey said he had been authorized by the Justice Department to confirm the wide-ranging probe’s existence.

[...]
0 Replies

hightor

Mon 20 Mar, 2017 12:26 pm
Quote:
“Russia, if you’re listening, I hope you’re able to find the 30,000 emails that are missing.”

Oops.

Hahahaaaa!
McGentrix

Mon 20 Mar, 2017 12:28 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Walter Hinteler wrote:
Quote:
(1) The Federal Republic of Germany is a democratic and social federal state.

Ugh. So I had to go and find what you have eloquently dodged here.

Quote:
The Basic Law guarantees individual rights as both defensive rights against the state (negative rights) and rights of performance and participation (positive rights). The defensive rights include the classic civil rights (e.g., the freedoms of opinion, assembly, association, faith, and occupation). The rights of performance and participation include the classic rights of equality, such as the right against discrimination on the grounds of
origin, race, sex, homeland, or political or religious opinion as well as the right to the establishment of equal opportunities for disadvantaged groups (e.g., women, the disabled, children, the aged, and the sick). Property rights and inheritance are also guaranteed. In addition, there are the rights to life, freedom from bodily harm, and protection of the personal sphere (e.g., data protection, inviolability of the home and family, and the privacy of mail and telecommunications). Finally, in accordance with the decisions of the Constitutional Court, people have a direct claim on the state for the provision of a minimum living income in the form of social aid.

Was that something you couldn't find and post?

cicerone imposter

Mon 20 Mar, 2017 12:35 pm
@McGentrix,
You're trying to fight a losing battle; it's 37%, and most believe it will go lower. Trump keeps stepping on his own problems. He doesn't know how to say, "I made a mistake."
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Mon 20 Mar, 2017 12:37 pm
A bit of a breather: a Trump food review (at his golf course in Scotland)
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/mar/17/trump-turnberry-scotland-restaurant-review-marina-oloughlin

Trump Turnberry, Ayrshire: ‘I’m drooling with the wrong kind of anticipation’ – restaurant review
Marina O'Loughlin
@marinaoloughlin
Friday 17 March 2017 13.00 GMT
Last modified on Saturday 18 March 2017 06.09 GMT

Obviously I go to Trump Turnberry with prejudices fully erect. Of all the lies the orange plank spouts on an hourly basis, I particularly enjoyed his “The people of Scotland love Trump International Golf Links” and “I have a 93% approval rating in Scotland” tweets. Newsflash: there is nothing the people of Scotland love about you, #presidentbawbag. Nor me: I’m claws unleashed, drooling with the wrong kind of anticipation.

And, yes, there’s a lot to loathe. I dislike being told, on phoning for the hotel’s preferred taxi number to pick us up from Girvan, to grab one from the taxi rank. Women at the otherwise deserted, sleet-strafed station laugh at us: “Haw, naw. There’s no a rank till Ayr.” Pointing this out to hotel reception, we’re told: “A lot of people take helicopters – three grand from Prestwick airport.” I dislike being hassled to sign up for a “Starwood Hotels Preferred Guest” account. And I hate that the hotel celebrates Scottishness in a way only a tourist can love: charming doormen waft you indoors in full kilted regalia, complete with soaring feathers in bonnets; here’s the Scottish Tartans Authority on how to wear the kilt: “Festooning yourself with sword, dirk, targe, powder horn and – a cardinal sin – feathers in your bonnet, are not the way to go.” Me to cheery, costumed chap: “Do you like wearing that?” “No, I’m bloody freezing.” There’s even a poor piper compelled to skirl into the kitchen a hapless crew eating at that horribly entitled concept, the “chef’s table”: eminently detestable.

We’re in The Crystal Ballroom, not, as reserved, Il Tramonto at 1906, because it’s “fully booked”. It’s not: I sneak in, and apart from a private dining room at the end, it’s empty. Surprise: a lie! So, we’re on the fringes of a huge, semi-deserted function suite that smells faintly of mutton fat, all chandeliers (constellations of the things: “Two-hundred grand each!” beams a staff member), retina-jangling carpets and spindly, gold banqueting chairs (the photo’s of the more sober Il Tramonto). Servers wear white gloves and brandish cloches like it’s 1983. And, yes, I hate some of the food: a silly deep-fried egg that manages to have solid yolk and mucousy white, in a gummy pool of “36 month-aged parmesan velouté”, like liquidised tinned macaroni cheese, with uninspiring summer truffles (seasonal, eh?) that taste of nowt and crisped “two-year aged ‘Tuscany’ ham”: a salty picked scab. Or a hunk of tragically overcooked halibut on what seems to be microwaved hummus plus swamp of exhausted spinach.
Advertisement

But, try as I might, I can’t hate the whole glittery, meretricious shebang, because the staff are lovely. Steadfastly, and with unswerving cheer, they refuse to be drawn by leading questions. “Eric is who we deal with mostly. He’s a lovely chap,” says the young chef who flambés our crepes suzette on his gas-fired trolley, playing to our cameras with more fire, more Grand Marnier, and spooning over the silkiest, freshly made vanilla ice-cream. These are gorgeous, a quickstep beyond old-fashioned to Proustian. I like smoked ham bound with goose liver into a silky, meaty hummock, with tendrils of celeriac rémoulade and sweet golden sultanas. And an almost-rustic dish of slow-cooked beef cheek with sturdy mash and a rich reduction of meat juices scented with rosemary. Devastating.

There’s lovely Roxanne from Malta, wreathed in smiles despite having done several split shifts in a row, dinner to breakfast. And the cool gal in the bar who delivers martinis in horribly overdesigned glasses while whispering, “We’re not allowed to talk politics.” And particular love for Sumith, who comes out with my favourite sommelier line ever – “I see madam is thoroughly enjoying her wine” – and who shows us round the kitchen where the team blast stainless-steel surfaces to pristine cleanliness and opens up the newly built Donald J Trump Ballroom so we can gawp at a Milky Way of chandeliers and a B&Q’s-worth of swirly carpet.

With events in the White House taking place at warp speed, who knows what will have happened to Scrotus between time of writing and publication? Perhaps a milk-of-human-kindness epiphany; perhaps he’ll erupt into a shower of maggotty orange lard, accidentally suffocating Mike Pence. Whatever: the bucks will keep raining in, even here, where golfers cower under Scottish skies. It’s never going to be my kind of place – no restaurant even tangentially operated by someone who takes his steak well done “with catsup” could be. But I can imagine many being dazzled by its ostentatious opulence, its bottles of Trump wine, the munificence of its carpeting. Even I’m thawed by its people: despite the crassness of their boss, they are fundamentally good.

• Trump Turnberry Turnberry, Ayrshire, Scotland, 0165 533 1000. Open all week, 7-10pm. About £65 a head for three courses, plus drinks and service.

Food 6/10
Atmosphere 6/10
Value for money 6/10 (see what I did there?)
Walter Hinteler

Mon 20 Mar, 2017 12:43 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:
Quote:
The Basic Law guarantees individual rights as both defensive rights against the state (negative rights) and rights of performance and participation (positive rights). The defensive rights include the classic civil rights (e.g., the freedoms of opinion, assembly, association, faith, and occupation). The rights of performance and participation include the classic rights of equality, such as the right against discrimination on the grounds of
origin, race, sex, homeland, or political or religious opinion as well as the right to the establishment of equal opportunities for disadvantaged groups (e.g., women, the disabled, children, the aged, and the sick). Property rights and inheritance are also guaranteed. In addition, there are the rights to life, freedom from bodily harm, and protection of the personal sphere (e.g., data protection, inviolability of the home and family, and the privacy of mail and telecommunications). Finally, in accordance with the decisions of the Constitutional Court, people have a direct claim on the state for the provision of a minimum living income in the form of social aid.

Was that something you couldn't find and post?

No. You didn't ask the basic knowledge about our constitution (the above is something you learn at school) but you asked about the right of "social services".

I'm rather sure, McG, that you use this 'discussion' to let steam of.
I can understand that because due to the situation as a hardcore 'Trumpist' it's not easy for you in real life.
If it helps - carry on.