monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

camlok

Sat 18 Mar, 2017 09:02 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
I engage wherever truth and fcts have been supported or are under honest dispute.

Professor Leroy Hulsey would dispute what you say if you were not such a coward and you actually said something instead of dancing around the issues tossing out gems from geology which have nothing to do with the science Professor Hulsey is doing.
farmerman

Sat 18 Mar, 2017 09:24 pm
@camlok,
Shut the F*ck up you swine. Villanova lost, Im in mourning.
camlok

Sat 18 Mar, 2017 09:32 pm
@farmerman,
More brilliant scientific behavior and great science, farmerman.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Sat 18 Mar, 2017 10:53 pm
@farmerman,
Are you watching the game Sunday night???? Mr. Glitterbag is getting geared up.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Sat 18 Mar, 2017 11:00 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Kinda goes against your core beliefs doesnt it McG. Ever wonder why theres been NO really in -depth programs about mans relation to climate change on programs like NOVA? Thats a perfect example of politics leading science

THE KOCHS SPONSOR WGBH "SCIENCE PROGRAMS"

Is this really the route you want to go? Sound like Camlok?

Global Warming, Koch and NOVA

Quote:
NOVA’s long record of reporting on this issue began with one of the very first documentaries on global warming, The Climate Crisis, in 1983. In 2000, NOVA collaborated on a landmark two-hour co-production with Frontline, What’s Up With the Weather?; since then, NOVA has produced a dozen shows that focus on climate change or sustainable energy use.

Among the dozen, Dimming the Sun won the prestigious Grantham Foundation Prize for Environmental Journalism in 2006, while Extreme Ice took a particularly dramatic look at the rapid acceleration of melting ice caps and glaciers in the Arctic; both of these shows were among the highest-rated, most watched NOVAs in the seasons in which they aired. Saving the Sun, Beating the Heat, and The Big Energy Gamble all looked at new strategies for energy use in an era of warming climate. Secrets Beneath the Ice investigated the long-term climate history of that continent specifically to predict and assess the impact of future global warming. NOVA also produced four shows on natural disasters in which substantial attention was paid to how climate change is increasing the risk of future severe events, ranging from landslides in the Himalayas to extreme storms such as Hurricane Sandy and Typhoon Haiyan in the Philippines. This summer, NOVA aired Lethal Seas on ocean acidification, a topic that has been relatively neglected by the media, while in January we are presenting Mystery Beneath the Ice, an investigation of why climate change is leading to a steep drop in the population of krill—a cornerstone of the oceanic food chain.

Finally, we are currently preparing a funding proposal for a major four-part series on climate change that will explain the basics of climate science and explore the technology and policy choices that may help lead us to a more sustainable future.

Quote:
Please note that NOVA’s funding from the David H. Koch Foundation involves no consultation whatsoever between officers of the Foundation and NOVA’s producers about either the choice of shows that we decide to commission or the content of individual programs.

The total list of climate change NOVAs is as follows: The Climate Crisis (1983), Hot Enough For You? (1989), Warnings From The Ice (1998), What¹s Up With The Weather? (2000), World In The Balance: China Revs Up (2004), Dimming The Sun (2006), Saved By The Sun (2007), The Big Energy Gamble (2009), Extreme Ice (2009), Secrets Beneath the Ice (2010), Power Surge (2011), Inside the Megastorm (2012), Megastorm Aftermath (2013), Killer Typhoon (2013), Killer Landslides (2014), Lethal Seas (2015)

Quote:
The David H. Koch Fund for Science is a major funder of NOVA. He has been a member of the Board of Trustees of WGBH in Boston, NOVA’s presenting station and top PBS producer, since 1997 and has been a supporter of the station since 1982. According to a report last year in Current, the public broadcasting news organization, he has donated $18.6 million to the station, more than half of which has gone to NOVA. Koch is a graduate of MIT with a longtime interest in science and engineering and he and his brother, Charles, are among the country’s leading philanthropists.

As NOVA’s Apsell states above, there is no consultation with or by Koch on NOVA choices and programs, and there is no evidence, at least that I have knowledge of, that he has sought to interfere or influence coverage. PBS and the station also argue that it is important to have a diverse spectrum of “pursuits and viewpoints” on their boards, as in their viewership, which seems reasonable.

So, NO, it doesn't go against my core beliefs. What does, though, is when a scientist gets on board the "REPUBLICANS ARE PRETTY_MUCH ANTI SCIENCE" band wagon instead of looking at an issue objectively.

Shame on you.
Blickers

Sat 18 Mar, 2017 11:09 pm
@thack45,
Quote thack 45:

In 2011, apparent 6% of the American people switched from the more moderate, "Evolution occurred, but with God's guidance" to "God created people less than 10,000 years ago"

http://i65.tinypic.com/2zy8ntf.gif

Young-earth creationism-it's the newest trend.

giujohn

Sat 18 Mar, 2017 11:42 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

Slaves built the White House. Is somebody interested in bringing slave labor into the work force? Yikes.

What revisionist bullshit. Slaves did not build the White House. They did bring some slaves into help to whitewash the White House but they were paid the equivalent of today's wage of $31 a day... So it wasn't slave labor if you were getting paid.
0 Replies

giujohn

Sat 18 Mar, 2017 11:46 pm
@layman,
layman wrote:

Quote:
There is no Muslim threat, there is no radical Islam.

Most people here were already aware that you are a chump, Cammie, but for anyone who may have still reserved some doubts, you just made it unanimous with that statement, eh?

Abso-*******-lutely.
0 Replies

giujohn

Sat 18 Mar, 2017 11:47 pm
@layman,
layman wrote:

Quote:
I am a talented interior designer

I'll bet you are!

I was even surprised to learn it.
0 Replies

giujohn

Sat 18 Mar, 2017 11:51 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

Holy crap, I'm not advocating Slavery. I also know that our country cannot flourish without taxes to maintain the institutions that keep the country safe and healthy. Unfortunately there are some who demand access to all the institutions but would not chip in a penny unless they had too. I'm happy to pay my share, I wish everyone was.

But as a bleeding heart liberal you should be giving more than your share.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Sun 19 Mar, 2017 01:51 am
@Blickers,
Interesting graph. I understand it, because all my siblings are Christians. I'm the only atheist, and believe what scientists tell us about the age of our planet. I like the teachings of Buddhism; to improve yourself like Buddha did.
I don't believe in reincarnation. Once dead, it's kaput.
saab

Sun 19 Mar, 2017 02:24 am
@cicerone imposter,
You can be a Christian and still know - not only believe - what scientists tell about the age of the planet.
Why judge all Christians according to some sect or fanatics ?- I have met one person in my whole life who believed the earth was 4000 years old. I was deeply shocked.
Neither at school nor in church were we taught about the 4000 years.
We cannot believe everything in the Bible to be true, but the truth is, that is what people believed thousands of years ago.
We cannot believe everything scientists have told us, but the truth is that, at one point the schientists believed it being the truth until another schientiest
prooved it was wrong.
cicerone imposter

Sun 19 Mar, 2017 02:37 am
@saab,
Science means always seeking objective fact without bias. That's good enough for me.
saab

Sun 19 Mar, 2017 02:43 am
@cicerone imposter,
Seeking objective fact without bias .....why are then scientists fighting about this and that with and without facts?
gungasnake

Sun 19 Mar, 2017 03:02 am
https://scontent-dft4-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/17309320_490669371323595_3709015396316111700_n.jpg?oh=994a3e879811376dea04b99cb1c34195&oe=595BD456
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 19 Mar, 2017 04:06 am
@saab,
Quote:
Why judge all Christians according to some sect or fanatics ?- I have met one person in my whole life who believed the earth was 4000 years old. I was deeply shocked.
Neither at school nor in church were we taught about the 4000 years.

America is a bit unique in this respect. I think that's due in great part to the way in which the Protestant faith developed there from early on with the Great Awakening and New Light movements.

One interesting and relevant aspect of American Protestantism is its lack of sophisticated theological investigation and rigor. Whereas the Catholic faith and the Anglican faith have rich traditions in philosophical/theological inquiry, the US Protestant culture has developed very few serious theologians. Part of the explanation for that is a deep and old anti-intellectualism in this tradition.
blatham

Sun 19 Mar, 2017 04:13 am
Quote:
In One Rocky Week, Trump’s Self-Inflicted Chaos on Vivid Display

Minutes before President Trump was to take the stage in Nashville last week to make his case for the health care overhaul he had promised, he received some unwelcome news that shifted his script.

A Federal District Court judge in Hawaii had just placed another stay on his ban on travelers from six predominantly Muslim countries, dealing his order a second legal setback in two months. As a country music duo crooned in an auditorium still filling with adoring supporters of Mr. Trump, the president fumed backstage and huddled with his staff for a hasty redrafting of the speech.

When Mr. Trump emerged, he decided to relegate the health care overhaul, which he has identified as a top domestic priority, to a brief mention more than halfway through the speech. He instead replaced its prime billing with an angry diatribe against the travel ban ruling and the judge who had issued it.

“I have to be nice, otherwise I’ll get criticized for speaking poorly about our courts,” he said. But he could not help himself: The president soon suggested that the court that had just ruled against him should be destroyed. “People are screaming, ‘Break up the Ninth Circuit!’ ”

Once again, Mr. Trump’s agenda was subsumed by problems of his own making, his message undercut by a seemingly endless stream of controversy he cannot seem to stop himself from feeding...
NYT
Not a finely tuned machine. Not a competent team and certainly not a competent POTUS.

But perhaps another weekend at Mar a Lago will do the trick.
saab

Sun 19 Mar, 2017 04:23 am
@blatham,
The same for the Lutheran Church in USA - it also has a rich tradition. The theologicans in USA as well as in Europe study Latin, old Greek and Hebrew.
We are in a great sence all Protestants and the ones biblethumbing usually do not have that education and often are sects.
Personally I do not like to say I am a protestant as I then am thrown in with all the very reformed biblethumbers. I am a Lutheran.
blatham

Sun 19 Mar, 2017 04:31 am
@saab,
I have to admit that I'm not very familiar with the Lutheran church and traditions. An omission in knowledge I ought to correct.

blatham

Sun 19 Mar, 2017 04:35 am
The huge political problem for the GOP in health-care evisceration - it is going to really hurt many of those who voted for Trump.
Quote:
James Waltimire, a police officer on unpaid medical leave, has been going to the hospital in this small city twice a week for physical therapy after leg surgery, all of it paid for by Medicaid.

Mr. Waltimire, 54, was able to sign up for the government health insurance program last year because Ohio expanded it to cover more than 700,000 low-income adults under the Affordable Care Act. He voted for President Trump — in part because of Mr. Trump’s support for law enforcement — but is now worried about the Republican plan to effectively end the Medicaid expansion through legislation to repeal the health care law.

“Originally the president said he wasn’t going to do nothing to Medicaid,” Mr. Waltimire said the other day after a rehab session. “Now they say he wants to take $880 billion out of Medicaid. That’s going to affect a lot of people who can’t afford to get insurance.”
NYT
0 Replies