monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

blatham

Sat 18 Mar, 2017 12:51 pm
this is the last Mayer bit I'll post here. The piece is so rich folks really need to bookmark it and read. It looks very much like Mercer has a level of influence right now about which I had no proper grasp. Here is your link

Quote:
Mercer strongly supported the nomination of Jeff Sessions to be Trump’s Attorney General. Many civil-rights groups opposed the nomination, pointing out that Sessions has in the past expressed racist views. Mercer, for his part, has argued that the Civil Rights Act, in 1964, was a major mistake. According to the onetime Renaissance employee, Mercer has asserted repeatedly that African-Americans were better off economically before the civil-rights movement. (Few scholars agree.) He has also said that the problem of racism in America is exaggerated. The source said that, not long ago, he heard Mercer proclaim that there are no white racists in America today, only black racists.
ossobucotemp

@hightor,
I saw that on my news exploration early this morning; I take it as a strong point, worthwhile at the least, but I figure there is no chance he will listen.
0 Replies

layman

@blatham,
A documentary produced by Steve Bannon. Quite interesting, actually:

0 Replies

camlok

Sat 18 Mar, 2017 12:55 pm
@layman,
Go and read it, layman, unless you are a coward. Then we can discuss it and you can show me how I am wrong. I welcome that!

Then go read about the genocide the US/UK committed against the people of the Chagos Islands. The gassing of their pet dogs, the forced expulsion of these peaceful people from their lands.
Walter Hinteler

Sat 18 Mar, 2017 12:55 pm
@saab,
Before the Civil War, US government funds primarily came from custom duties, selling public land and temporary excise taxes.
During the decades after the Civil War, when the income tax lapsed, about 90 percent of the country’s revenues came from taxes on liquor, beer, wine and tobacco.
camlok

Sat 18 Mar, 2017 12:57 pm
@glitterbag,
Quote:
Holy crap, I'm not advocating Slavery.

If you aren't speaking out about all the lies you are supporting it, in Afghanistan, Iraq, ... .
0 Replies

saab

Sat 18 Mar, 2017 01:02 pm
@izzythepush,
Taxes as we have them today in Sweden we learned from United Kingdom and it really did not start until around 1910.
On the other hand there has been taxes ever since Sweden became one country.
How the King and his men took in taxes certainly was a way we would not want it now. Sheriff of Nottingham- style
0 Replies

camlok

Sat 18 Mar, 2017 01:03 pm
@Debra Law,
I voted you up, Debra, and I wish I could give you a million more, not for agreeing with me, but for thinking this charade thru and speaking out.

How many Joseph N. Welchs is it going to take before this madness ends?

"At long last, have you left no sense of decency?"
-Joseph N Welch [to Senator Joseph McCarthy]

who was doing the same thing that so many are now doing to Muslims.
0 Replies

saab

Sat 18 Mar, 2017 01:05 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
liquor, beer, wine and tobacco.
Now we are against those things - guess we had to tax the healthy things to get enough taxes to day.
0 Replies

jcboy

Sat 18 Mar, 2017 01:08 pm
In 2009, Obama won the Nobel prize. Trump's greatest contribution so far is that "Sad!" and "Bigly" are hashtags. Razz
hightor

Sat 18 Mar, 2017 01:09 pm
@thack45,
Quote:
My point was, there certainly were reasons how America "got along just fine for well over 100 years without an income tax".

The modern income tax (and our dependence on it) kicked in after Prohibition to make up for the loss of the tax on alcohol.
camlok

Sat 18 Mar, 2017 01:16 pm
@hightor,
I think that you might want to do a wee bit of research on that one, hightor.
cicerone imposter

Sat 18 Mar, 2017 01:17 pm
@jcboy,
Trump's greatest contribution has been the world wide exposure of Trump, the US, and our president as a wacko unseen in modern history. His ban on Muslims exposed his bigotry to the whole world. His name plastered on buildings and his plane shows the world the narcissist that we now have as our president. Most presidents make their name based on the economy or wars.
camlok

Sat 18 Mar, 2017 01:20 pm
@jcboy,
Quote:
In 2009, Obama won the Nobel prize.

Those folks from Sweden and Norway really do have a terrific sense of humor, not to mention irony.
camlok

Sat 18 Mar, 2017 01:21 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
and our president as a wacko unseen in modern history.

Bush, Bush, Reagan, Nixon, Johnson, Ford, ...
0 Replies

georgeob1

Sat 18 Mar, 2017 01:23 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Quote:
The result is often chaos, selective enforcement by ideologues in government, and widespread disregard for the rules both in government and among those subject to them. This does indeed inhibit our economic growth and thereby penalize everyone.

Why can't the problems caused by decades of incremental regulation and taxation be addressed, analyzed, and changed? Taxes aren't "bad" in and of themselves. The idea that we should just throw up our hands and declare that it's all too complicated to fix seems, well, "un-American".

I agree fully with that. Indeed Trump has started constructive action to selectively prune the regulatory thicket that has grown so explosively over the past decade, and to reduce (but not eliminate) taxes - both actions in keeping with your prescription above. We have good reason to expect significantly increased economic growth as a result. Indeed we have already seen the precursors of it in terms of increased confidence, business investments and equity growth in our markets.
cicerone imposter

Sat 18 Mar, 2017 01:23 pm
@camlok,
That speaks well of the Nobel committee. You aren't in it.
camlok

Sat 18 Mar, 2017 01:27 pm
@cicerone imposter,
No, it doesn't at all. Instead of giving it to another war criminal/terrorist, they could have made a clear and unequivocal statement about the war criminal/terrorist, GW Bush and his merry band of like war criminals/terrorists.
jcboy

Sat 18 Mar, 2017 01:28 pm
@cicerone imposter,
He is indeed an embarrassment!

After Trump tweets embarrassingly inaccurate info, former NATO ambassador publicly educates Trump

Quote:
This morning Donald Trump once again took to Twitter to show his utter ignorance and misunderstanding of how the world operates. On the heels of his widely mocked, embarrassing, petulant, child-like behavior with German Chancellor Angela Merkel, he simply couldn’t help himself this morning:

http://images.dailykos.com/images/378816/story_image/GettyImages-643214096.jpg?1489772211
cicerone imposter

Sat 18 Mar, 2017 01:29 pm
@georgeob1,
It's true that the tax code with over 4000 pages is a boondoggle that needs to be repealed and replaced, but almost everyone knows that Trump's tax plan benefits the wealthy more than everybody else. I'm not sold that Trump will offer a balanced tax plan. I'll wait for the experts to interpret Trump's tax plan.
Trump is a pathological liar; according to Politifact, he lies 70% of the time.
Here's an analyst's opinion on Trump's tax plan.
http://www.npr.org/2016/11/13/501739277/who-benefits-from-donald-trumps-tax-plan
I
0 Replies