monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

camlok

Sat 18 Mar, 2017 12:16 pm
@layman,
Quote:
I don't see Debbie complaining about the atrocities of ISIS, ya know?

Se the post above this last one of yours.
layman

Sat 18 Mar, 2017 12:16 pm
@camlok,
Quote:
There is no Muslim threat, there is no radical Islam.

Most people here were already aware that you are a chump, Cammie, but for anyone who may have still reserved some doubts, you just made it unanimous with that statement, eh?
blatham

Sat 18 Mar, 2017 12:17 pm
@Debra Law,
Quote:
There's a special place in hell reserved for [Paul Ryan] ... and he's just one name on a very long list ....

I am a talented interior designer and would be eager to take up the challenge of designing that special place.
layman

Sat 18 Mar, 2017 12:19 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
I am a talented interior designer

I'll bet you are!
saab

Sat 18 Mar, 2017 12:20 pm
@glitterbag,
OK slaves buildt the White House, but you had no slaves in the northern states.
So who paid for the State Capitals and the government employees?
I cannot imagen the state employees walking around with a hat trying to collect money. And what if you did not like the president or the judge or the policeman?
layman

Sat 18 Mar, 2017 12:21 pm
@saab,
There are other forms of taxes, including, just for example, taxes on imports.
camlok

Sat 18 Mar, 2017 12:23 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
Those bases in ... Diego Garcia aren't cheap.

WOW, Mr Compassion!

Have you mentioned to everyone how US officials rounded up all the islanders' dogs, put them in a building and gassed them to death with the exhaust from US military vehicles, Izzy?

Then they threatened the islanders that that could be their fate.

John Pilger - Stealing A Nation [2004]

[video available on the website]

'Stealing A Nation' (2004) is an extraordinary film about the plight of the Chagos Islands, whose indigenous population was secretly and brutally expelled by British Governments in the late 1960s and early 1970s to make way for an American military base. The tragedy, which falls within the remit of the International Criminal Court as "a crime against humanity", is told by Islanders who were dumped in the slums of Mauritius and by British officials who left behind a damning trail of Foreign Office documents.

http://johnpilger.com/videos/stealing-a-nation

0 Replies

saab

Sat 18 Mar, 2017 12:25 pm
@layman,
If the import taxes are too high - people will not buy importet items.
Your answer is what could be done and not what was done.
I am still wondering who paid for everything before 1913 ?
blatham

Sat 18 Mar, 2017 12:26 pm
The following is from the Jane Mayer piece on Robert Mercer at the New Yorker I linked earlier (or just go to the NYer, it's right up top) As I go through the piece, I'll post important information points.
Quote:
...that afternoon Trump issued perhaps the most incendiary statement of his Presidency: a tweet calling the news media “the enemy of the American people.” The proclamation alarmed liberals and conservatives alike. William McRaven, the retired Navy admiral who commanded the 2011 raid that killed Osama bin Laden, called Trump’s statement a “threat to democracy.” The President is known for tweeting impulsively, but in this case his words weren’t spontaneous: they clearly echoed the thinking of Caddell, Bannon, and Mercer. In 2012, Caddell gave a speech at a conference sponsored by Accuracy in Media, a conservative watchdog group, in which he called the media “the enemy of the American people.” That declaration was promoted by Breitbart News, a platform for the pro-Trump alt-right, of which Bannon was the executive chairman, before joining the Trump Administration. One of the main stakeholders in Breitbart News is Mercer.
[/b]
glitterbag

Sat 18 Mar, 2017 12:26 pm
@saab,
Holy crap, I'm not advocating Slavery. I also know that our country cannot flourish without taxes to maintain the institutions that keep the country safe and healthy. Unfortunately there are some who demand access to all the institutions but would not chip in a penny unless they had too. I'm happy to pay my share, I wish everyone was.
layman

Sat 18 Mar, 2017 12:27 pm
@saab,
People, including but not limited to rich people, have always voluntarily donated money to worthy and humanitarian causes. However, as Ralph Waldo Emerson once noted:

Quote:
The worst of charity is that the lives you are asked to preserve are not worth preserving.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Sat 18 Mar, 2017 12:30 pm
@saab,
Protectionism is what turned an economic slump into the Depression back in the 30s. It's never a one way street, there's always retaliatory tax hikes, raw materials become more expensive, and nobody can afford to buy anything.

I'm amazed at how stupid these idiots are. Next they'll be arguing that we should close down all hospitals considering that's where most people die.

0 Replies

saab

Sat 18 Mar, 2017 12:33 pm
Thanks to Google I got an answer to my question.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxation_history_of_the_United_States
0 Replies

Debra Law

Sat 18 Mar, 2017 12:33 pm
@camlok,
camlok wrote:

Quote:
What france needs is more muslims, eh?

oh god oh god, the commies are coming, the commies are coming!!!

That is you folks in a nutshell, layman. There is no Muslim threat, there is no radical Islam. There are a few individuals who are rightly very angry about all the illegal invasions, the murder of their kith and kin, the lies blaming them all for something none of them did.

If there truly was the threat your wild rants envision, there would be hundreds or thousands of Americans and other westerners killed daily, hourly. Remember from your nutty right wing talking points, Muslims must kill the infidels.

Why haven't all the Muslims who live next door to millions of Americans risen up in the night to do their religious duty?

You folks really are believers in the most ludicrous of fantasies, and guess who is your leader - none other the president of the phucking United States of America.

It isn't too late to start thinking, you kno w, layman, Baldimo, georgeob1, finn, McGentrix, ... ,have I missed anyone?

But why should they have to think for themselves? They enjoy their status as useful idiots and consumers of propaganda. Ignorance is bliss. Apparently for them, hatemongering is blissful too.
saab

Sat 18 Mar, 2017 12:34 pm
@glitterbag,
Of course you are not advocating Slavery.
Hardly any country can flourish without taxes - I do not mind to pay mine.
thack45

Sat 18 Mar, 2017 12:35 pm
@saab,
saab wrote:

OK slaves buildt the White House, but you had no slaves in the northern states.

Not exactly
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/85/US_Slave_Free_1789-1861.gif

My point was, there certainly were reasons how America "got along just fine for well over 100 years without an income tax".
blatham

Sat 18 Mar, 2017 12:39 pm
From Mayer
Quote:
Potter, a Republican, sees Mercer as emblematic of a major shift in American politics that has occurred since 2010, when the Supreme Court made a controversial ruling in Citizens United v. Federal Election Commission. That ruling, and several subsequent ones, removed virtually all limits on how much money corporations and nonprofit groups can spend on federal elections, and how much individuals can give to political-action committees. Since then, power has tilted away from the two main political parties and toward a tiny group of rich mega-donors

Private money has long played a big role in American elections. When there were limits on how much a single donor could give, however, it was much harder for an individual to have a decisive impact. Now, Potter said, “a single billionaire can write an eight-figure check and put not just their thumb but their whole hand on the scale—and we often have no idea who they are.” He continued, “Suddenly, a random billionaire can change politics and public policy—to sweep everything else off the table—even if they don’t speak publicly, and even if there’s almost no public awareness of his or her views.”
0 Replies

layman

Sat 18 Mar, 2017 12:43 pm
@thack45,
Slaves were private property, not subjects of the government. Any slaves who helped construct public improvements only did so because their owners were generous enough to "loan them out" for such work.
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 18 Mar, 2017 12:45 pm
This one is lovely (from Mayer)
Quote:
Patterson also recalled Mercer arguing that, during the Gulf War, the U.S. should simply have taken Iraq’s oil, “since it was there.” Trump, too, has said that the U.S. should have “kept the oil.” Expropriating another country’s natural resources is a violation of international law. Another onetime senior employee at Renaissance recalls hearing Mercer downplay the dangers posed by nuclear war. Mercer, speaking of the atomic bombs that the U.S. dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki, argued that, outside of the immediate blast zones, the radiation actually made Japanese citizens healthier.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Sat 18 Mar, 2017 12:49 pm
@saab,
Taxes are the reason we have parliaments, and not dictators. Look at the Gulf states, oil revenue means they don't need to raise taxes so they don't need parliaments. Most gulf Arabs pay no taxes or bills have an average income of £30K but can still get thrown into jail for drinking alcohol or having sex outside of marriage. There's a reason fascists like low taxes.