monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

giujohn

Sat 18 Mar, 2017 10:15 am
@Debra Law,
Debra Law wrote:

War, war, war, bombings, and more war

Posted: Wed 7:46 PM, Mar 15, 2017

Quote:
Members of the 5th Bomb Wing at Minot Air Force Base have officially headed to the Middle East for combat.

More than 400 wing members headed to the region as part of Operation Inherent Resolve.

B-52 Stratofortresses Bombers from Minot have also headed overseas for the first time in 12 years.

The 23rd Bomb Squadron will lead the 5th Bomb Wing in their mission.
Operation Inherent Resolve is the United States’ mission against the Islamic State, primarily in Iraq and Syria.

Bout ******* time. We need to turn alot of sand into glass.
blatham

Sat 18 Mar, 2017 10:15 am
Once again with Republicans in office, suddenly it's deficit-schmeficit.
Quote:
About a year ago, Donald Trump made one of the more outlandish claims of his candidacy: he said he would eliminate the national debt in eight years.

Specifically, Trump told the Washington Post that he wants to see the United States "get rid of the $19 trillion in debt." Pressed for details, the GOP candidate said he "could do it fairly quickly," eliminating the debt "over a period of eight years."

...A year later, the White House doesn't even pretend to care about those priorities. Politico noted yesterday:
Quote:
While steep cuts to departments like the EPA are expected under a Republican president, Trump's plan leaves out the key conservative priority of deficit reduction. [...]

[OMB Director Mick Mulvaney], once among Congress' toughest deficit hawks, also acknowledged the White House budget leaves the nation's $488 billion federal deficit untouched. The decision ignores what has become the fiscal gold standard within the GOP: a budget that balances within 10 years
Benen
layman

Sat 18 Mar, 2017 10:16 am
@Debra Law,
Quote:
Operation Inherent Resolve is the United States’ mission against the Islamic State, primarily in Iraq and Syria.

Well, OK, then!

About time, eh?
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 18 Mar, 2017 10:23 am
Here's a guy who very obviously sees reporters and the news media and their institutional function in a democracy as nothing other than his own PR staff, to be informed only if and when he deems it valuable to his PR goals. How surprising this is coming from the past CEO of Exxon.

Quote:
Under scrutiny for declining to bring the diplomatic press corps on his trip to Asia this week, Secretary of State Rex Tillerson defended his decision in an interview published Saturday, saying that he simply doesn't make press access a priority.

"I’m not a big media press access person. I personally don’t need it. I understand it’s important to get the message of what we’re doing out, but I also think there’s only a purpose in getting the message out when there’s something to be done," Tillerson told the Independent Journal Review.

"And so we have a lot of work to do, and when we’re ready to talk about what we’re trying to do, I will be available to talk to people," he continued. "But doing daily availability, I don’t have this appetite or hunger to be that, have a lot of things, have a lot of quotes in the paper or be more visible with the media."
TPM
0 Replies

Debra Law

Sat 18 Mar, 2017 10:24 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:
The claim that GCHQ carried out surveillance on Donald Trump during the election campaign is "arrant nonsense", Rick Ledgett, the number two at the US National Security Agency (NSA) has told the BBC in an exclusive interview.

No doubt it is. But clearly Trump and team have decided that they are not constrained by any notions of truthfulness in the claims they make. If something is published or spoken anywhere, and no matter how credible or poorly-sourced it might be, that gives them licence to repeat it with the authority of the White House.

It's a rather explicit notice that they will engage in misinformation/propaganda and that this is just jim-dandy.

Little Donnie Trump ... the man-child who cried wolf (over and over and over again).

If the American people don't rise up and successfully resist the monstrous government we have, then the rest of the world (including nations that were once our allies) may have to do the job. These are the worst of times....
layman

Sat 18 Mar, 2017 10:25 am
@blatham,
Quote:
Specifically, Trump told the Washington Post that he wants to see the United States "get rid of the $19 trillion in debt." Pressed for details, the GOP candidate said he "could do it fairly quickly,"..

Trump has a great deal of experience in eliminating debt. It's called "bankruptcy."

All these chump-ass foreign investors, both governmental and private, like the Chinese, who have bought U.S. Bonds are gunna get stiffed.
hightor

Sat 18 Mar, 2017 10:31 am
https://i1.wp.com/farm1.staticflickr.com/768/32077798003_6f47e454e5_b.jpg
0 Replies

layman

Sat 18 Mar, 2017 10:32 am
@layman,
I can see it, now.

Some Chinaman comes calling on Trump, saying his Treasury bond has matured.

Trump says: "Yeah, so?"

"So it's time to repay my principal."

Trump: "Pay!? I don't think so! Homey don't play dat."
0 Replies

oralloy

Sat 18 Mar, 2017 10:36 am
@Debra Law,
Debra Law wrote:
War, war, war, bombings, and more war

Posted: Wed 7:46 PM, Mar 15, 2017

Quote:
Members of the 5th Bomb Wing at Minot Air Force Base have officially headed to the Middle East for combat.

More than 400 wing members headed to the region as part of Operation Inherent Resolve.

B-52 Stratofortresses Bombers from Minot have also headed overseas for the first time in 12 years.

The 23rd Bomb Squadron will lead the 5th Bomb Wing in their mission.

Good.

Debra Law wrote:
Does it appear that Tillerson/Trump/Putin desire to bomb the hell out of those Middle Eastern oil fields to get rid of the competition and make those Russian oil interests more profitable?

Nope. It appears that we're going to destroy Islamic State.

Let me guess, you were one of the ones who were cheering for the 9/11 hijackers?

Debra Law wrote:
Much more destruction and death on the horizon and a lot of blood on American hands . . . .

Outstanding! The more the better.
0 Replies

oralloy

Sat 18 Mar, 2017 10:38 am
@Debra Law,
Debra Law wrote:
Little Donnie Trump ... the man-child who cried wolf (over and over and over again).

This, from someone who pretends knowledge of the law but has never heard of basic legal concepts like Strict Scrutiny.

LOL!

Debra Law wrote:
If the American people don't rise up and successfully resist the monstrous government we have, then the rest of the world (including nations that were once our allies) may have to do the job. These are the worst of times....

We have more than enough nukes to eradicate anyone who seeks to attack us.
blatham

Sat 18 Mar, 2017 10:38 am
Jane Mayer has a longish piece up now on Robert Mercer, big money Trump backer. I won't get a chance to read the whole thing until later but this early graph is worth posting on its own - if only to inquire of the Trump fans or libertarian types here concur with Mercer's reported statement.
Quote:
During the past decade, Mercer, who is seventy, has funded an array of political projects that helped pave the way for Trump’s rise. Among these efforts was public-opinion research, conducted by Caddell, showing that political conditions in America were increasingly ripe for an outsider candidate to take the White House. Caddell told me that Mercer “is a libertarian—he despises the Republican establishment,” and added, “He thinks that the leaders are corrupt crooks, and that they’ve ruined the country.
NYer
layman

Sat 18 Mar, 2017 10:40 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
We have more than enough nukes to eradicate anyone who seeks to attack us.

You say "eradicate," I say "exterminate." Same difference I guess--they do rhyme, after all, but still....
georgeob1

Sat 18 Mar, 2017 10:41 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Quote:
This is the very same game the left says all the time with their either or BS.

No, there isn't any "play book". A false dilemma can be intentional or accidental but it's not an ideologically-inspired tactic. Your criticism would be more effective if you exposed these sorts of informal fallacies as and where they appear rather than just making a generalized accusation and making up exaggerated examples. Point them out when you see them, no matter the political view of the author, and you'll be doing us all a service.

So, do you want taxes or do you want a government starved of revenue?

hightor appears not to recognize that the dilemma he continues to pose is obviously false. Clearly zero taxes of any kind would shutdown our government. However significantly reduced taxes will not. There are many
workable points between zero taxes and our present situation.

I recognize that the arguments on both sides of the matter were a bit overstated and that hightor's dilemma was in some sense a result in keeping with those overstatements. That's OK in itself.

The observable fact is that there is much waste, inefficiency and little real accountability in the various bureaucracies of our government: most are long overdue for significant reform. Simply the published facts about the multiple requests for added security at our consulate in Bengazi and the obvious lack of it during the ensuing attack, together with the fact that no one was ever held accountable tells us all we need to know. Worse, the refusal of the then head of the agency to accept any responsibility for the lack tells us a lot about some likely sources of this rot.

We are also now seeing some indirect consequences of former President Obama's frequent excursions beyond the law in advancing his programs. He appears to have left a legacy of such partisan action in many sections of the Federal bureaucracy. This is a potentially dangerous situation and it must be corrected if we are to retain the rule of law enacted by our elected representatives.

As a related matter the number of administratively enacted "regulations" in force today, at least in some areas where I have direct experience is truly breathtaking. Their number and reach has exploded in the last decade leaving a dense web off complexity that is understood by few of those subject to it and in some cases by even fewer of those selectively enforcing it. This is particularly evident in areas of employment, banking & finance, environmental standards, and as most of us experience, tax law. The result is often chaos, selective enforcement by ideologues in government, and widespread disregard for the rules both in government and among those subject to them. This does indeed inhibit our economic growth and thereby penalize everyone. Altogether a very bad situation that is getting worse every day, and one which also threatens our democracy.
Debra Law

Sat 18 Mar, 2017 10:42 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:
Ousted U.S. Attorney Preet Bharara was overseeing an investigation into current Health and Human Services Secretary Tom Price’s stock trades when he was fired, according to an unnamed source cited by ProPublica Friday.

According to a source “familiar with the office,” ProPublica reported, Bharara’s employees were looking into stock trades made by Price, seemingly those that came to light during his confirmation process.

Before and during his confirmation hearing, Democrats accused Price of abusing his office for his own personal benefit, perhaps illegally.

Price bought stock in Zimmer Biomet the same month, March 2016, that he introduced legislation to delay the implementation of a measure that would have negatively affected that company.
Politico

Both the Republican and Democratic Parties are bought. The Democrats pretend to care ... that's the only difference. When the Democrats were in power and could have passed universal healthcare for all of us ... they sold us out to health insurance companies, (among other nefarious things the Dems have done). We must resist the corruption and reform our government.
layman

Sat 18 Mar, 2017 10:42 am
@blatham,
Quote:
Mercer “is a libertarian—he despises the Republican establishment,” and added, “He thinks that the leaders are corrupt crooks, and that they’ve ruined the country.”

I can't rightly say I've ever heard of this Mercer guy before, but he does seem to know what he's talkin about, eh?
0 Replies

oralloy

Sat 18 Mar, 2017 10:43 am
@layman,
layman wrote:
You say "eradicate," I say "exterminate." Same difference I guess--they do rhyme, after all, but still....

Dalek philosophy does sometimes have merit.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Sat 18 Mar, 2017 10:44 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:
Paul Ryan says he fantasized about cutting health care for the poor at his college keggers

Oh, college! It’s a time when young adults discover their professional interests, when they live alone for the first time, when many people come into their sexuality, and when youth get to explore other adult pleasures.
And, if you were House Speaker Paul Ryan (R-WI), it was a time to dream about how, someday, you would take health care away from millions of poor people.
In a conversation with the National Review’s Rich Lowry on Friday, Ryan bragged about how conservatives now have a once-in-a-generation opportunity to take health coverage away from the most vulnerable Americans.

“So Medicaid,” Ryan told Lowry, “sending it back to the states, capping its growth rate. We’ve been dreaming of this since I’ve been around — since you and I were drinking at a keg. . . . I’ve been thinking about this stuff for a long time. We’re on the cusp of doing something we’ve long believed in.”
Ryan is 47 years old, which means that, if he started “drinking at a keg” early in his college career, he’s fantasized about all the poor people who could be stripped of health care for nearly three decades.
Think Progress video here

There's a special place in hell reserved for that man ... and he's just one name on a very long list ....
hightor

Sat 18 Mar, 2017 10:45 am
@giujohn,
Quote:
10% national sales tax, legalize gambling, prostitution, and weed and tax the **** out of it

While I can see the arguments for a VAT, the "sin tax" concept seems pretty pretty backward — and a good way to stimulate a black market. What's wrong with the income tax anyway? Only a few countries in the world don't use it —
Vanuatu
Brunei
Oman
United Arab Emirates
Maldives
Qatar
Kuwait
Bermuda
Bahamas
Cayman Islands
— and none of them are considered "world leaders". What about the trillions in debt the conservatives say we're supposed to be paying off?
thack45

Sat 18 Mar, 2017 11:00 am
@Debra Law,
Sometimes, when something is in a hopeless state of disrepair, the only thing to do is blow it up and burn it down. Trump might just be the savior of the United States after all
saab

Sat 18 Mar, 2017 11:03 am
@hightor,
How do these countries pay for certain things like: roads, schools, government employees, government buildings, railroads and airports - if existing, hospitals and a few more things.