monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

izzythepush

Sat 18 Mar, 2017 04:24 am
@farmerman,
Be careful not to upset the Chief Marshall, he might write your name down on his clipboard.
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 18 Mar, 2017 04:43 am
@McGentrix,
Quote:
Yet the people whose thoughts and opinions you post daily continuously rail against the Trump Nationalism and desire to become more insular.

That's false. I actually can't recall any one I've posted who has said this. Nationalism and insularity are quite different things.

Quote:
Which is it? We have our boots on the throats of the nations of the world or do we not do enough to help the world and we couldn't possibly stop foreign aid?

Of course, I didn't say those (bolded) words. That's your creation. But the more important point is that you've set up a false either/or binary.
blatham

Sat 18 Mar, 2017 04:55 am
Quote:
Andrew Napolitano was a Superior Court judge in New Jersey until, frustrated by the constraints of his salary, he left the bench for more lucrative pastures: talk radio, a syndicated small-claims court TV series (“Power of Attorney”) and, eventually, Fox News, where he rose to become the network’s senior legal analyst.

It was in that basic-cable capacity this week that Mr. Napolitano managed to set off a cascading scandal, which by Friday had sparked a trans-Atlantic tiff between Britain and the United States while plunging President Trump’s close relationship with Fox News into new, murkier territory.

It was new ground for Mr. Napolitano, 66, who prefers being addressed as “The Judge” and once insisted that Fox News install bookshelves and wood-paneling in his newsroom office, the better to resemble a judge’s chambers.

But Mr. Napolitano’s unlikely leap into global politics can be explained by his friendship with Mr. Trump, whom he met with this year to discuss potential Supreme Court nominees. Mr. Napolitano also has a taste for conspiracy theories, which led him to Larry C. Johnson, a former intelligence officer best known for spreading a hoax about Michelle Obama.
NYT
Golly. I just can't make out any patterns in this at all.
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 18 Mar, 2017 05:20 am
Quote:
As chief compliance officer for a corporate owner of for-profit colleges, Robert S. Eitel spent the past 18 months as a top lawyer for a company facing multiple government investigations, including one that ended with a settlement of more than $30 million over deceptive student lending.

Today, Mr. Eitel — on an unpaid leave of absence — is working as a special assistant to the new secretary of education, Betsy DeVos, whose department is setting out to roll back regulations governing the for-profit college sector.
NYT
No patterns visible here either.
blatham

Sat 18 Mar, 2017 05:37 am
Quote:
Proposed Program Cuts Put Struggling Americans on Edge

As news of President Trump’s budget begins to sink in, some Americans feel as if their country no longer has a place for them.

...Now, that program is on the chopping block. It is one of many cuts in President Trump’s new budget proposal that would inflict the deepest pain on the most vulnerable Americans — a great number of whom voted for him.

“I understand what he’s trying to do, but I think he’s just not stopping to think that there are people caught in the middle he is really going to hurt,” said Ms. Feltner, 57, who was a nurse for 25 years and voted for Mr. Trump. “He needs to make some concessions for that. I was a productive citizen. Don’t make me feel worthless now.”
NYT
Pathetic old, used-up whiners. Do everyone a favor and donate your carcass to the local zoo for lion food (guaranteed at least 15% real christians).
0 Replies

layman

Sat 18 Mar, 2017 06:17 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:
Robert S. Eitel spent the past 18 months as a top lawyer for a company facing multiple government investigations, including one that ended with a settlement of more than $30 million over deceptive student lending.
NYT
No patterns visible here either.

Pattern? Who the **** do you think you're shitting? Is there no stretch that you are unwilling to try to make in terms of cheap-ass attempts to impute "guilt by association?"

Abraham Lincoln, Clarence Darrow, and probably almost every attorney who ever practiced law (including Hillary Clinton), have represented, as attorneys, people who were accused of wrong-doing. Does that fact make them criminals also?

I don't think so! Homey don't play dat.

I never know if your loyal followers like to see your posts because they are amused by such buffoonery, or if it's because they're just as illogical as you are, and think you know something they don't.
izzythepush

Sat 18 Mar, 2017 06:23 am
@giujohn,
Now I know who you remind me of.

http://cdn.playbuzz.com/cdn/13a5351e-7ba4-48f5-92c3-3a7a81fb170c/ab643294-fe1a-4c25-8179-0896efc4114c.jpg
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 18 Mar, 2017 06:24 am
Quote:
Ousted U.S. Attorney Preet Bharara was overseeing an investigation into current Health and Human Services Secretary Tom Price’s stock trades when he was fired, according to an unnamed source cited by ProPublica Friday.

According to a source “familiar with the office,” ProPublica reported, Bharara’s employees were looking into stock trades made by Price, seemingly those that came to light during his confirmation process.

Before and during his confirmation hearing, Democrats accused Price of abusing his office for his own personal benefit, perhaps illegally.

Price bought stock in Zimmer Biomet the same month, March 2016, that he introduced legislation to delay the implementation of a measure that would have negatively affected that company.
Politico
izzythepush

Sat 18 Mar, 2017 06:28 am
One Direction have suddenly shot up in my estimation.

Quote:
President Donald Trump kicked boyband One Direction out of one of his hotels after they refused to meet his grown up daughter, it has been revealed.

Band member Liam Payne let the news slip in a brand new interview with Rollacoaster.

Payne stated that Trump had phoned their room asking if they'd be happy to meet either Ivanka or Tiffany - which daughter remains unclear - and their manager declined after refusing to wake them up.

He said: “Trump actually kicked us out of his hotel once. You wouldn’t believe it. It was about (meeting) his daughter. He phoned up our manager and we were asleep.
Trump then proceeded to throw the entire band out of the hotel, and even refused to let them leave through a secret exit.

Payne continued: “He said ‘well, wake them up’ and I was like ‘no’ and then he wouldn’t let us use the underground garage. Obviously, in New York, we can’t really go outside. New York is ruthless for us. So he was like, ‘OK, then I don’t want you in my hotel.’ So we had to leave.”
One Direction are currently on an extended hiatus with each member currently enjoying solo careers; Payne's first record will be released later this year.

Payne's fellow bandmate Niall Horan recently promised fans that the band would 'definitely' reunite one day in the future.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/news/donald-trump-one-direction-liam-payne-kicked-out-of-hotel-daughter-ivanka-tiffany-a7636451.html
Walter Hinteler

Sat 18 Mar, 2017 06:29 am
@layman,
layman wrote:
Abraham Lincoln, Clarence Darrow, and probably almost every attorney who ever practiced (including Hillary Clinton), have represented people, as attorneys, who were accused of wrong-doing. Does that fact make them criminals also?
Well, he was a "Vice president for regulatory legal services" at Bridgepoint Education Inc. according to the cached website, not just representing people.

But I'm not a highly qualified person like you are, so I bow to your superior knowledge.
layman

Sat 18 Mar, 2017 06:31 am
@blatham,
Heh, if the FBI did something for the general, common good, like, say, stopping some terrorist from blowing up the entire NY stock exchange, some cheese-eater would say it was all just a politically-motivated attempt to protect criminal corporations from getting their just due.

Nice try, cheese-eater.
0 Replies

layman

Sat 18 Mar, 2017 06:36 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
Well, he was a "Vice president for regulatory legal services" at Bridgepoint Education Inc. according to the cached website, not just representing people.

Yeah, Walt, and what point is that supposed to make?

Every attorney does things other than "just representing people."
blatham

Sat 18 Mar, 2017 06:39 am
@izzythepush,
How surprised I am to find out that Trump acts as a complete dick.
Walter Hinteler

Sat 18 Mar, 2017 06:41 am
@layman,
layman wrote:
Yeah, Walt, and what point is that supposed to make?

Every attorney does things other than "just representing people."
Well, as written: you've a superior knowledge.
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 18 Mar, 2017 06:44 am
Quote:
Paul Ryan says he fantasized about cutting health care for the poor at his college keggers

Oh, college! It’s a time when young adults discover their professional interests, when they live alone for the first time, when many people come into their sexuality, and when youth get to explore other adult pleasures.
And, if you were House Speaker Paul Ryan (R-WI), it was a time to dream about how, someday, you would take health care away from millions of poor people.
In a conversation with the National Review’s Rich Lowry on Friday, Ryan bragged about how conservatives now have a once-in-a-generation opportunity to take health coverage away from the most vulnerable Americans.

“So Medicaid,” Ryan told Lowry, “sending it back to the states, capping its growth rate. We’ve been dreaming of this since I’ve been around — since you and I were drinking at a keg. . . . I’ve been thinking about this stuff for a long time. We’re on the cusp of doing something we’ve long believed in.”
Ryan is 47 years old, which means that, if he started “drinking at a keg” early in his college career, he’s fantasized about all the poor people who could be stripped of health care for nearly three decades.
Think Progress video here
layman

Sat 18 Mar, 2017 06:48 am
@blatham,
Anyone who drinks a whole keg is a winner in my book.
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 18 Mar, 2017 06:51 am
Coal miners get the Trump shaft
Quote:
During the campaign, Donald Trump billed himself as the “last shot” for coal country. He alone could save regions like Appalachia that had long suffered from poverty and dwindling coal jobs. And voters in West Virginia and eastern Kentucky believed him — choosing Trump over Hillary Clinton by wide, wide margins.

So it’s striking that President Trump’s first budget proposal would slash and burn several key programs aimed at promoting economic development in coal regions — most notably, the Appalachian Regional Commission and the Economic Development Administration. In recent years, these programs have focused on aiding communities that have been left behind as mining jobs vanished.

Even some of Trump’s staunchest allies were livid at the proposed cuts. “I am disappointed that many of the reductions and eliminations proposed in the President’s skinny budget are draconian, careless and counterproductive,” said Rep. Hal Rogers, a senior House Republican from a key coal-mining district in southeastern Kentucky.
Vox
It's kind of like a bait and switch. I can't see any pattern here.
layman

Sat 18 Mar, 2017 07:22 am
What france needs is more muslims, eh?

Quote:
TERROR IN PARIS

A radicalised Muslim known to intelligence agencies has been shot dead at Paris Orly airport after seizing an air force patrolwoman’s gun — just hours after he shot a policewoman in the face in a northern suburb.

The father and brother of the attacker, who had at least one conviction for a drugs offence, have been taken into custody, police said.

The attacker, who was on a terror watch list, had earlier fled the northern suburb of Stains in a Renault Clio after opening fire at police with a pellet gun during an identity check, injuring a female officer in the face. He then hijacked a woman’s car at gunpoint in the southern suburb of Vitry, which he drove to the airport.

The airport, packed with weekend travellers and holidaymakers, was evacuated while it was searched by bomb disposal squads. No explosives were found. The Paris Airports Authority said the Orly south terminal, where the shooting took place, may remain closed until Saturday night.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/03/18/man-shot-killed-security-forces-paris-airport-attempting-seize/

Walter Hinteler

Sat 18 Mar, 2017 07:24 am
@blatham,
Quote:
The claim that GCHQ carried out surveillance on Donald Trump during the election campaign is "arrant nonsense", Rick Ledgett, the number two at the US National Security Agency (NSA) has told the BBC in an exclusive interview.
Source
layman

Sat 18 Mar, 2017 07:32 am
I used to wonder why the christian-hating atheists of the "progressive" left were so fond of Islam.

Well, it not just a religon, actually, it is a political ideology, a system of government, and a code of laws, all presumably approved of by Allah.

Progressives are quite willing to overlook throwing gays off of buildings, stoning women who have been raped to death, and other barbarities which they might otherwise reject, because they agree with Islam's most fundamental (non-religious) edict: Hatred of western civilization and culture.

They may not hate all the same things for all the same reasons, but that's irrelevant. The important common bond is the shared hatred. An enemy of my enemy is my friend, as they say.
0 Replies