thack45

Thu 16 Mar, 2017 08:00 pm
@blatham,
Hahaha.. Time to dust off the old Reefer Madness reels
0 Replies

camlok

Thu 16 Mar, 2017 08:20 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Why did you leave this revealing history as a mere link, Cicerone? Talk about a walk back in time.

Quote:
By the end of the 1980s, Jeff Chang, the journalist and hip-hop critic, who has written extensively on race and social justice, recalls that the activists he knew then in the Bay Area used the phrase “in a jokey way – a way for one sectarian to dismiss another sectarian’s line”.

But soon enough, the term was rebranded by the right, who turned its meaning inside out. All of a sudden, instead of being a phrase that leftists used to check dogmatic tendencies within their movement, “political correctness” became a talking point for neoconservatives. They said that PC constituted a leftwing political programme that was seizing control of American universities and cultural institutions – and they were determined to stop it.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/nov/30/political-correctness-how-the-right-invented-phantom-enemy-donald-trump

In this one article you can see georgeob1, finn, McGentrix, Baldimo, layman, ..., a perfect description of where their buzzwords and arguments arose. The mumbling masses had been given their voice by Sean Hannity and the like.
0 Replies

hightor

Thu 16 Mar, 2017 08:21 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
I actually thought you were above the fatuous argument of "If you have nothing to hide who cares whether the government spies on you"

It's hardly an argument, just an observation. It's one of those abominations which is rather low on my outrage list. If, at some point, I were moved to political activity over the issue, I'd wait until I could be sure the reform bill wouldn't have some rider attached to it banning Planned Parenthood from the solar system or poison-pilled with some other similarly stupid conservative pet peeve. We embraced a "War on Terror" but we don't want to pay the taxes to finance it — or suffer some abstract loss of "privacy" by giving the intelligence services full power to prosecute it. Maybe we ought to figure out our priorities.
0 Replies

camlok

Thu 16 Mar, 2017 08:27 pm
Definitely a must read, a long one, no doubt but a capsule of this whole thread.

Quote:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/nov/30/political-correctness-how-the-right-invented-phantom-enemy-donald-trump

Political correctness: how the right invented a phantom enemy
For 25 years, invoking this vague and ever-shifting nemesis has been a favourite tactic of the right – and Donald Trump’s victory is its greatest triumph
by Moira Weigel

Every time Trump said something “outrageous” commentators suggested he had finally crossed a line and that his campaign was now doomed. But time and again, Trump supporters made it clear that they liked him because he wasn’t afraid to say what he thought. Fans praised the way Trump talked much more often than they mentioned his policy proposals. He tells it like it is, they said. He speaks his mind. He is not politically correct.

Trump and his followers never defined “political correctness”, or specified who was enforcing it. They did not have to. The phrase conjured powerful forces determined to suppress inconvenient truths by policing language.

There is an obvious contradiction involved in complaining at length, to an audience of hundreds of millions of people, that you are being silenced. But this idea – that there is a set of powerful, unnamed actors, who are trying to control everything you do, right down to the words you use – is trending globally right now.
blatham

Thu 16 Mar, 2017 08:32 pm
Quote:
SEAN HANNITY (HOST): By the way, this judge who issued the travel ban ruling is an Obama law school classmate. Maybe he should have recused himself from the case. Just a maybe. Were they best friends in Hawaii? Were they part of the Choom Gang, smoking pot and hanging out and doing a little bit of weed and maybe a little blow? [Premiere Radio Networks, The Sean Hannity Show, 3/16/17]

Quote:
Donald Trump Jr. Retweets “Federal Judge In HI Who Issued #Travelban Ruling Is Obama's Law School Classmate. But Nothing To See Here, Right?” Donald Trump Jr. retweeted a Twitter post from conservative radio host John Cardillo, who wrote, “Federal Judge in HI who issued #travelban ruling is Obama's law school classmate. But nothing to see here, right?”

Media Matters traces the origin and spread of this one MM
glitterbag

Thu 16 Mar, 2017 08:47 pm
@blatham,
Oh come off it Bernie, If Sean Hannity makes it up, you just have to believe it could be true.

I like the embellishment parts, "were they smoking pot .....doing a little bit of weed and maybe a little blow............" I think he could have made it a little more juicy by suggesting the judge and former president perhaps also stole hubcaps, short sheeted bunks at camp, exceeded the speed limit and were fresh mouthed when talking to their elders. Jesus Christ, Hannity has no imagination and he sounds stupid because he cannot set aside his own animosity to save his soul.
blatham

Thu 16 Mar, 2017 09:14 pm
@camlok,
Quote:
Political correctness: how the right invented a phantom enemy

It's a very good history of the thing and everyone ought to read it. I have yet to bump into a conservative on boards like this one who use the term (and almost all of them do use it in a deeply unreflective and cliched manner) who knows this history. I read Bloom's book when it came out in the late 80s, I read Kimball in his pieces at NYRB and I read D'Souza's piece when it was published in the Atlantic shortly after Bloom's book was published. And because I've read Mayer's Dark Money (and earlier had been studying the role of the Scaifes and Coors and Bradleys and Olins, etc, I knew the story behind the ideologically-driven funding that pushed all this stuff forward. (Earlier in this thread, I've written about all this).

But in any case, Wiegel gets this exactly right:
Quote:
More than any particular obfuscation or omission, the most misleading aspect of these books was the way they claimed that only their adversaries were “political”.

...In truth, these crusaders against political correctness were every bit as political as their opponents. As Jane Mayer documents in her book, Dark Money: the Hidden History of the Billionaires Behind the Rise of the Radical Right, Bloom and D’Souza were funded by networks of conservative donors – particularly the Koch, Olin and Scaife families – who had spent the 1980s building programmes that they hoped would create a new “counter-intelligentsia”. (The New Criterion, where Kimball worked, was also funded by the Olin and Scaife Foundations.) In his 1978 book A Time for Truth, William Simon, the president of the Olin Foundation, had called on conservatives to fund intellectuals who shared their views: “They must be given grants, grants, and more grants in exchange for books, books, and more books.”

These skirmishes over syllabuses were part of a broader political programme – and they became instrumental to forging a new alliance for conservative politics in America, between white working-class voters and small business owners, and politicians with corporate agendas that held very little benefit for those people

The night before last, I watched again the documentary on the making of Monty Python's The Life of Brian. That film, even before release, caused a huge shitstorm in Britain and the US. Many conservative Christians were offended. This was, rather obviously, an example of a right wing (mainly) constituency insisting that others behave or speak in a "politically correct" manner. This was an example of "identity politics". But right wing types do not, as Weigel says, perceive it that way because they've been trained to think of the thing as a left wing phenomenon exclusively.

Another example is this thread. Because I and others contributing are not Americans, it is not "politically correct" for us to speak negatively about Trump or modern US conservatism. And aside from nationality, just the continuing criticism and satirization of Trump or conservatives violates most right wing contributors' sense of the "politically correct". We offend and we ought not to, they seem to believe and insist.

Nice catch, camlok. I hope folks read this. It's important history.
blatham

Thu 16 Mar, 2017 09:17 pm
@glitterbag,
Yes. Hannity is getting worse. But most everyone on the right is. Their level of tribal identification has reached the point where they defend all the stuff or most of it that Trump and his crowd have been up to. And that's one hell of an indictment.

PS.... that something like 82% of evangelicals voted for Donald Trump, of all people, tells this tale as clearly as anything could.
camlok

Thu 16 Mar, 2017 09:23 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
(Earlier in this thread, I've written about all this).

You'll forgive me if I don't wade back thru to find it and read it.

Quote:
Nice catch, camlok. I hope folks read this. It's important history.

It was actually Cicerone. I wondered aloud as I read why he hadn't brought forward all the so many quotable moments, the little slices of time from the mid 1970s on that describes this gradual darkening of western society.

It filled in all the blanks - "so that's what happened!" even as I knew it was happening.

And it begat all these little stay behind conservative terrorists.

blatham

Thu 16 Mar, 2017 09:30 pm
Have to post this. Just have to.

Matthew Yglesias‏Verified account @mattyglesias 5h5 hours ago
No money in the budget for after school meals? Let them eat diamond noodles!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C7Et_wiX4AI5lyT.jpg
blatham

Thu 16 Mar, 2017 09:32 pm
@camlok,
Quote:
You'll forgive me if I don't wade back thru to find it and read it.

I wouldn't either.
0 Replies

camlok

Thu 16 Mar, 2017 09:37 pm
@blatham,
How depressingly shallow does one have to be to exhibit this degree of gaudy?

Perfect 1st lady for the USofA.
glitterbag

Thu 16 Mar, 2017 09:41 pm
@blatham,
I think that "The Onion" reporters should be in the White House press corps. If Breitbart is there, we need the Onion.
blatham

Thu 16 Mar, 2017 09:47 pm
@camlok,
I've no idea when the photo was taken but regardless, it is rather bad, isn't it.
glitterbag

Thu 16 Mar, 2017 09:50 pm
@blatham,
It's bad, but not as bad as Trump and all of his offspring perched on gold plated chairs while they discuss how keen they are on improving conditions for the Country.
blatham

Thu 16 Mar, 2017 09:53 pm
@glitterbag,
Quote:
I think that "The Onion" reporters should be in the White House press corps. If Breitbart is there, we need the Onion.

Hell of a fine idea, gb. I'd give a press pass to Colbert as well (he's been incredibly bright and funny this last while).

And by the by, last night I watched this 3 minute youtube video of Helen Mirren guesting on Colbert. She is 81 years old and is one of the sexiest women alive. Some folks will recall a recent Correspondents Dinner where Obama introduced her, saying, "And Dame Helen Mirren is with us tonight. I don't even have a joke here, I just think Helen Mirren is awesome". Oh yes. Do watch this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_kGkGUAKRw
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 16 Mar, 2017 09:55 pm
@glitterbag,
The family is a fount of populist sentiment and empathy.

Lauren Duca‏Verified account
@laurenduca
+Unfriendly reminder that @realDonaldTrump and @FLOTUS could save about $182,500,000 a year just by living in the same mansion.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Thu 16 Mar, 2017 09:56 pm
@blatham,
Hitler would do pretty well in the US today.
oralloy

Thu 16 Mar, 2017 09:58 pm
@old europe,
Quote:
Who Undercut President Trump’s Travel Ban? Candidate Trump

WASHINGTON — Rarely do a presidential candidate’s own words so definitively haunt his presidency.

Undercut is a bit hopeful on the part of the reporter.

I think the odds are slim that these goofy rulings will pass muster in the Supreme Court.
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 16 Mar, 2017 10:01 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Well, it certainly isn't the case that German brains are different than American brains. Lots of unhappy things would have to happen for the US to get near what the Nazis did but any assumption that such stuff couldn't happen in the US is delusional. Hitler is such a unique character, physically and otherwise, that I have difficulty imagining him as a US political figure but I find it very easy to imagine many right wing politicians and voters in SS uniforms.
0 Replies