monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

layman

Thu 16 Mar, 2017 01:04 pm
@layman,
Guess what, eh, Yurp?

The U.S. constitution does not grant the right of freedom of speech, the right to bear arms, the right to assemble, the right to practice the religion of one's choice, the right to due process of law, or any other god-damn right to Syrians, Sudanese, or any other alien in any other country in the world.

Most of all it does NOT give them a right to enter our country. The Supreme Court has said as much many times.

Things might be different in the particular ghetto of candyass Europe, where you're from, I don't know.

Likewise, you obviously don't know what the U.S. Constitution provides. But don't feel bad. Neither does the Ninth Circuit.
old europe

Thu 16 Mar, 2017 01:14 pm
@Baldimo,
Immigration policy: rules, regulations and legislation about who can travel and/or move to the country.

Naturalization policy: rules, regulations and legislation about eligibility and process of becoming a citizen of the country.

The power to create immigration policy is not one of the enumerated powers of the legislative branch in the Constitution.

Baldimo wrote:
the courts are not suppose to create laws

It's only via Supreme Court decisions that the legislative and executive branches acquired the power to determine immigration policy.

I'd assume that as a strict originalist, you would argue that since the Constitution doesn't list the power to regulate immigration as one of the enumerated powers of the legislative branch, Congress shouldn't be able to create legislation pertaining to immigration.
layman

Thu 16 Mar, 2017 01:21 pm
@old europe,
Quote:
It's only via Supreme Court decisions that the legislative and executive branches acquired the power to determine immigration policy.

Completely wrong, once again, Yurp. That power comes from the constitution, not the courts.

It is the court's job to interpret the constitution and other laws. The courts did NOT write the constitution, the founding fathers did. The court cannot "amend" the constitution, they can only determine what it means.
old europe

Thu 16 Mar, 2017 01:25 pm
@layman,
layman wrote:
It is the court's job to interpret the constitution and other laws.

Great to see this kind of defense of the Living Constitution approach coming from you, layman.
McGentrix

Thu 16 Mar, 2017 01:26 pm
@revelette1,
Something like this? Can you imagine how this will go over with the Dems? They will be a bunch of freedom lovers now.

Quote:
Homeland Security using eminent domain to seize private citizen property along Mexican border. No individual voices allowed when going against a bureaucracy. Can we defund these unconstitutional bureacracies yet? Including Homeland Security, IRS, EPA, BLM, FEC, etc… the list of acronyms is endless… gosh what a free America we could be.

“A man’s home is his castle,” said Tony Sedgwick, the co-owner and manager of Carmencita Ranch. “We’ve owned that since the 1950’s.”

But now Sedgwick is losing a chunk of it.

“They have taken the choicest part of my land,” he said.

It’s a valuable, not to mention scenic spot atop a high hill. And he’s losing it because of a BP surveillance tower there. It keeps a close eye on activity along the fence. It’s a mobile tower, but now that the Department of Homeland Security has taken the land, permanent towers may soon prop up. It’s all part of an effort to tighten up security along the U.S.-Mexico border.

“If your neighbor had lights shining on your property, you would call police,” Sedgwick said. “Who do I call? They are the police.”

One property owner we talked to says each acre of land can sell for $10,000. The U.S. government is offering this woman $3,000 for two acres. She says it doesn’t take a genius to realize this isn’t a good deal.

“It’s a terrible deal,” said Sedgwick.

Most property owners were hesitant to go on camera. They say they fear upsetting Border Patrol.

“What is not fair is that we don’t have a voice in all this,” said Sedgwick.

So Sedgwick is raising his voice. He says his land means the world to him. And at the end of the day, he says there’s not much more he can lose.

“It’s very difficult to go against the U.S. government,” said Sedgwick.

And difficult really an understatement in this case. If Sedgwick wants to fight this it would cost him almost $60,000 in legal fees. And even after that spending all that money there’s still no guarantee he would win.

Oh,this was 2013 and Obama was doing it? Well, it was perfectly fine then, right?
layman

Thu 16 Mar, 2017 01:27 pm
@old europe,
old europe wrote:

Great to see this kind of defense of the Living Constitution approach coming from you, layman.

Nice try, cheese-eater.
0 Replies

giujohn

Thu 16 Mar, 2017 01:28 pm
@layman,
layman wrote:

Trump's tax return shows that he checked "yes" when asked if he wanted $3 of his money to go toward financing presidential elections.

All a self-serving money grab, because he knew he would get part of his $3 back 11 years later when he ran for office, obviously.

SHOCKING!!!
0 Replies

layman

Thu 16 Mar, 2017 01:29 pm
@McGentrix,
Quote:
Oh,this was 2013 and Obama was doing it? Well, it was perfectly fine then, right?

Heh, good catch, Gent.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Thu 16 Mar, 2017 01:31 pm
@old europe,
Quote:
Immigration policy: rules, regulations and legislation about who can travel and/or move to the country.

Naturalization policy: rules, regulations and legislation about eligibility and process of becoming a citizen of the country.

The power to create immigration policy is not one of the enumerated powers of the legislative branch in the Constitution.

It is part and parcel of the same laws. The courts do not in anyway set immigration policy and I challenge you to show me in the Constitution where it says the courts set immigration policy? I'll wait for your answer.

Quote:
t's only via Supreme Court decisions that the legislative and executive branches acquired the power to determine immigration policy.

I can tell you are not American and I can tell you have no knowledge of our political system.
glitterbag

Thu 16 Mar, 2017 01:36 pm
@old europe,
I can't remember seeing a tread move as quickly as this one. It's been incredibly popular (regardless pro or con).
0 Replies

old europe

Thu 16 Mar, 2017 01:49 pm
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:
The courts do not in anyway set immigration policy and I challenge you to show me in the Constitution where it says the courts set immigration policy? I'll wait for your answer.

I never claimed that the Constitution grants the judicial branch the power to regulate immigration policy. I just pointed out that the Constitution doesn't grant that power to either the legislative or the executive branch.

You can either be a constitutional originalist and argue that the respective branches of government only have the powers explicitly given to them in the Constitution, or you can defend the Living Constitution approach and argue that the Supreme Court gets to interpret the Constitution to the point where branches of government may lose or acquire certain powers, based on Supreme Court decisions.

You can't have it both ways and argue that the courts don't have the power to decide on immigration policy, because they're not explicitly granted this power in the Constitution, and, at the same time, argue that Congress has the power to regulate immigration policy based on Supreme Court interpretation of the Constitution.

Baldimo wrote:
I can tell you are not American and I can tell you have no knowledge of our political system.

How cute.

Instead of resorting to ad hominem attacks based on my username, why don't you take a stab at actually demonstrating your superior knowledge of the American political system? Wouldn't that be fun?
McGentrix

@old europe,
Immigration is regulated at the federal level, chiefly under the rules established in 1952 with the passage of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA). The Immigration Reform and Control Act (IRCA) of 1986 was enacted to curb illegal immigration, denying welfare benefits to undocumented immigrants and strengthening sanctions against employers who hire them.

The U.S. Congress has control over all immigration-related regulations, while the White House is in charge of enforcing immigration laws.

Jurisdiction and the Supremacy Clause

The federal government's jurisdiction over immigration law has consistently been upheld by the U.S. Supreme Court, which has overruled attempts by state legislatures to single out immigrants. Additionally, the Supremacy Clause of the U.S. Constitution is generally interpreted to mean that federal laws trump state laws, except for certain matters constitutionally left to the states.

Link
giujohn

@hightor,
hightor wrote:

giujohn wrote:
But then that is the nature of blind hatred.

It's not "blind hatred" when the causes are there to be seen in plain sight.
giujohn wrote:
I defy each of those here in this forum who have expressed their hatred for Trump and his presidency to find one thing that he is proposing or has done that would benefit the United States of America, it's people, it's standing or security in the world...Just ONE.

I haven't expressed hatred for Trump so I hope that doesn't disqualify me from answering your exciting challenge. So, here goes: he retained David Shulkin from the previous administration and chose him to head the Department of Veterans Affairs.

Now, why don't you and your conservative spear carriers each find just one thing that Trump's done that you disagree with.

What's really great about Trump is that he so perfectly embodies the classic caricature of the "Ugly American". He's overweight, he's functionally illiterate, he watches too much TV, he eats his steaks well-done, he has no understanding of environmental science, his buildings and resorts are tacky, and he has a massive ego which is incommensurate with his limited personal accomplishments. What's to hate? Couldn't have picked a more stereotypical "Leader of the Free World" if I'd tried! No, not often do we get a leader who personifies every negative cliche about the US, all those characteristics which have inspired anti-American riots around the world! He's right out of Central Casting.

One thing I disagree with Trump on is his choice for VA SEC. He should have picked someone not connected with the VA and a veteran.

You say you haven't expressed a hatred for Trump...I think you just did. It sounds like the musings if an emotional irrational spurned lover.

All the reasons listed above are your subjective opinion of his personality. What in the hell does that have to do with him executing the office of the President? I can name several president's starting with LBJ that fill that bill.

You call him an ugly american...I call him just an American...A billionaire that identifies with the everyday American...Can that sometimes be unpolished and raw...You bet. I find that truthful and even refreshing. Do I accept his demeanor entirely? No. Is that better than a slick lying politician? You bet you ass. Do I think it affects his ability to make America great again? Hell no. If it was such a handicap he'd be a pauper not a billionaire who makes 3000000+ a week.
old europe

Thu 16 Mar, 2017 01:56 pm
@McGentrix,
Sure, McGentrix. Nothing there that I would disagree with. Any particular reason why you posted this link?
McGentrix

Thu 16 Mar, 2017 02:03 pm
@old europe,
The discussion was getting out of hand with the back and forth. The law is the law whether left or right.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Thu 16 Mar, 2017 02:14 pm
A light tangent re commenting on Trump, whose name I mostly spell correctly, though not always.... so tired of this guy, but I agree with Blatham that he is only one part of what is going on in the US distress.

So, I play with other names, usually not typing them, and a variety of songs run through my mind re the country's situation.
Which is why I'm copying the lyrics link for 19th Nervous Breakdown:

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/rollingstones/19thnervousbreakdown.html

"19th Nervous Breakdown" lyrics
THE ROLLING STONES LYRICS

Play "19th Nervous Breakd…"
on Amazon Music

"19th Nervous Breakdown"

You're the kind of person you meet at certain dismal, dull affairs
Center of a crowd, talking much too loud, running up and down the stairs
Well, it seems to me that you have seen too much in too few years
And though you've tried you just can't hide your eyes are edged with tears

You better stop, look around
Here it comes, here it comes, here it comes, here it comes
Here comes your nineteenth nervous breakdown

When you were a child you were a treated kind
But you were never brought up right
You were always spoiled with a thousand toys but still you cried all night
Your mother who neglected you owes a million dollars tax
And your father's still perfecting ways of making sealing wax

Oh, who's to blame, that girl's just insane
Well, nothing I do don't seem to work
It only seems to make the matters worse. Oh, please

You were still in school when you had that fool who really messed your mind
And after that you turned your back on treating people kind
On our first trip I tried so hard to rearrange your mind
But after awhile I realized you were disarranging mine

Oh, who's to blame, that girl's just insane
Well, nothing I do don't seem to work
It only seems to make the matters worse. Oh, please

When you were a child you were treated kind
Your mother who neglected you owes a million dollars tax
And you father's still perfecting ways of making sealing wax

Here it comes, here comes your nineteenth nervous breakdown
giujohn

Thu 16 Mar, 2017 02:24 pm

You're the kind of person you meet at certain dismal, dull affairs
Center of a crowd, talking much too loud, running up and down the stairs

When you were a child you were treated kind

You were still in school when you had that fool who really messed your mind
And after that you turned your back on treating people kind

Anthem for snowflakes.
Blickers

Thu 16 Mar, 2017 02:30 pm
@roger,
Quote roger:
Quote:
It looks like ACA topped out with a max of 18 million enrollees. Now, we may potentially lose perhaps 14 million from present (lower) enrollment, and it looks like they were bullied into acceptance by threat of penalties. It looks like the general population isn't much impressed. In fact, it looks like a lot of money spent for almost nothing in terms of public acceptance.

Not sure where you found that "topped out with a max of 18 Million enrollees" number. I think you might be referring to this chart of the percentage over 18 who are uninsured which is on the site you linked:

http://obamacarefacts.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/gallup-healthways-2nd-quarter-2015-aca-uninusred.png

If that is what you are referring to, that that is not the number of Obamacare enrollees, it's the percentage of people without health insurance. A decline in that is a good thing. And as you can see, the percentage of people without health insurance went from 18% down to 11.4% in only two years. So the ACA was working nicely in getting people insured.
glitterbag

Thu 16 Mar, 2017 02:41 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Speaker of the House, Paul Ryan reports there is no evidence of wiretapping by the previous administration (or any of its proxies) against Trump. Trump clings to the notion that Trump Towers "wires were tapped", so what else is new?
djjd62

Thu 16 Mar, 2017 02:44 pm
@layman,
perhaps they would, and perhaps they are

but that's a lot of "ifs", and like every politician that's pretty much all he's got

0 Replies