monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

maporsche

Tue 14 Mar, 2017 10:29 am
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:

Having an opposing opinion is being a dick? Not seeing things and the world the way they do makes me a dick? If that's the case, this whole website is filled with dicks and bitches. The only person I'm personally rude to is Izzy but that is an in-kind response. I'm actually one of the nicest people you can know.

Just, no!

lol...can't stop laughing that this is your actual response to my post about the barrage of insults being flung around on this site.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Tue 14 Mar, 2017 10:39 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
Is answering this now a condition that "the rest of the left" doesn't get banned or something else?

Choosing not to answer a question is totally different than placing someone on ignore and encouraging others to do the same. I don't even place Camlok on ignore, I just don't reply to most of his crap. Hell as much as Izzy can be personally insulting, I don't even have him on ignore.

Quote:
I've noticed, Baldimo, that you constantly ask members totally private questions. For me, it's good enough that TSA knows my eating habits, my bank accounts, addresses of my friends and of my preferred accommodations, my recent travels in and outside Europe etc etc. You can ask them for these data ...

Private questions? What country they live in, what they do for a living and how old they are? I've asked no question I wouldn't answer if asked.
blatham

Tue 14 Mar, 2017 10:42 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
Who do you have on ignore? This also goes for the rest of the lefties here on a2k.
quoting Baldimo.

Whether one is at a left leaning site or a right leaning site, the only people who don't put anyone on ignore are trolls. The game is to get into pissing contests with anyone who voices some ideology that opposes what the troll holds. There's an inability or serious reluctance to see/hear certain ideological statements made in public - the troll feels he/she must do what they can to curtail such stuff.

It is as dependable a means of determining who is or is not a troll as any other.
0 Replies

maporsche

Tue 14 Mar, 2017 10:42 am
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:

Private questions? What country they live in, what they do for a living and how old they are? I've asked no question I wouldn't answer if asked.

Then you use that data to attack them and their ideas. It's a fun aspect of you. If by fun I mean completely dick-headed.
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 14 Mar, 2017 10:47 am
How much does this man yearn to be celebrated by being cast in bronze - a dignified and brave southern gentleman standing boldly in the face of threats to his grand culture.

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-JaX50Es2gsM/WMgUqQxZTYI/AAAAAAAAsE0/Z_CTI0HfftEDonyPN6Vf5JTmMDmrZIAeACLcB/s640/12-jeff-sessions.w710.h473.2x.jpg
blatham

Tue 14 Mar, 2017 10:55 am
Quote:
The basic party-wide argument has been that if only Republicans could do away with the hated monstrosity of Obamacare, they’d be able to deliver a replacement that delivers health care to everybody (including the poor and sick) while lowering costs and cutting taxes and getting rid of Washington mandates — in other words, a plan that delivers the good stuff in the ACA without the bad. As long as repeal was not an actual possibility, Republicans could maintain this stance without having to create a plan that would accomplish this, or answer for that plan’s likely outcomes or the true priorities it reflects. Thanks to the CBO, that years-long dodge is no longer possible.
WP
And that is exactly right.
0 Replies

hightor

Tue 14 Mar, 2017 10:57 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
Our doctors are under intense pressure not to treat freeloading foreigners who come over here to sponge off the NHS.

What if we dress them up as Syrians?
blatham

Quote:
The plan, the CBO concludes, would take more than $1 trillion away from programs targeting poor and middle-class families, to fund an $883 billion tax cut targeted at the wealthy … “No legislation enacted in recent decades cut low-income programs this much — or even comes close,” Robert Greenstein, the … president of the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities … says.
Vox
With the GOP, particularly in its modern form, this movement of wealth from the bottom to the top is not a bug, it is a feature.
giujohn

Why can I buy ANY other type of insurance except Heath insurance across state lines?

Why doesn't my car insurance allow me to buy a policy and be covered for an accident AFTER the crash?

With car insurance I have to pay more if I'm in the risk pool...Why not with health insurance?

Why is the Federal Government allowed to dictate to us when it comes to the decision to purchase ANY insurance?

Democrats want government to always provide...And don't care if they **** it up.

Republicans want the people to be able make their own decisions.

That's why liberals are ******* losers. They literally can **** up a free lunch.
georgeob1

Tue 14 Mar, 2017 10:59 am
@blatham,
You're reading quite a lot into a snapshot of a man surrounded by reporters with microphones & recorders stuck in his face.

Do you have any facts to support this insight? Perhaps it's just another message circulating in the cocoon.
blatham

Tue 14 Mar, 2017 10:59 am
@hightor,
If I'm ever visiting down south and happen to misplace or lose my passport, I've already planned to dress like a Syrian. I'd get back into Canada on fast track.
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 14 Mar, 2017 11:01 am
@georgeob1,
Look at that brave jaw thrust up and forward. Look at the pained yet steadfast curve of the mouth. Note his proximity to the enemy who surround him like a platoon of smelly northern soldiers, microphones as ready and threatening as bayonets. And the convenient light from god on his face.
0 Replies

hightor

Tue 14 Mar, 2017 11:07 am
@Baldimo,
Quote:
Who do you have on ignore?

I currently have one (1) person on ignore. He/she could be described as "right wing". This is a prolific poster and I'll sometimes look at what he/she posts — I just prefer not to have my pages fill up so quickly with silly graphics and memes. I'm considering putting another person on my ignore list but that person is not a right-winger. He/she is just an annoying twit.
0 Replies

camlok

Tue 14 Mar, 2017 11:20 am
@giujohn,
You are supposed to give credit to your source, even when you steal it from a nutty right wing website.
blatham

Tue 14 Mar, 2017 11:20 am
@georgeob1,
Photographs can be a cheap shot, I admit. But that one really caught my eye because it is perfect in so many ways.

Colbert recently did a very humorous play on this. He showed the famous photo comparison that Trump had used when competing against Cruz

http://static3.businessinsider.com/image/56f39a5552bcd021008b86f5-1190-625/the-images-are-worth-a-thousand-words-trump-shares-an-unflattering-photo-of-ted-cruzs-wife.jpg

And he said, "The President clearly believes that a picture says a thousand words. Well, I think so too". Then we saw this photo comparison:

https://static01.nyt.com/images/2017/01/20/us/politics/trump-inauguration-crowd-1484943564224/trump-inauguration-crowd-1484943564224-videoSixteenByNineJumbo1600.jpg
hightor

Tue 14 Mar, 2017 11:27 am
I'm wondering when the real costs to people who will lose subsidies (the poor) or be forced to pay higher premiums (the elderly) will actually be felt — assuming that this legislation is enacted — which seems doubtful. Because I wouldn't be surprised if the full effect is delayed until after the next one or two rounds of elections. As long as the projected losses and price hikes can be described as "whining Dems in denial" I don't see much negative response from the electorate.

Quote:
But the way the bill achieves those lower average premiums has little to do with increased choice and competition. It depends, rather, on penalizing older patients and rewarding younger ones. According to the C.B.O. report, the bill would make health insurance so unaffordable for many older Americans that they would simply leave the market and join the ranks of the uninsured.

The remaining pool of people would be comparatively younger and healthier and, thus, less expensive to cover. Other changes would help make health insurance skimpier — cheaper, but with deductibles that are higher than those criticized by Republicans under Obamacare.

NYT

All those 50 - 60 somethings who voted to "make America great again" may not have realized that the long slog back to the that "shining city on the hill" would be over their ailing and aching bodies.
0 Replies

camlok

Tue 14 Mar, 2017 11:28 am
@georgeob1,
Quote:
I think you have here encapsulated the reasons why Democrats lost most of their former constituents in the last election and why they (and you, it appears) still don't understand what happened.

I think your delusion goes much deeper than it appears in your posts, george. Perhaps you should be looking at a royally phucked up political system.

Trump Clinton
Popular vote 62,984,825[3] 65,853,516[3]
Percentage 46.1% 48.2%
0 Replies

camlok

Tue 14 Mar, 2017 11:33 am
@georgeob1,
Quote:
I think you may have it backwards. My impression is that the Democrat/media hysterics are what is fading in its effects. The shrill noise has been going on for a long time but nothing concrete has emerged from it. People are tuning it out.

You may be right. Americans are world leaders in being able to tune out facts.

All their presidents have been war criminals. Americans, by and large TUNE IT OUT.

Science say the US official 911 story is a fabrication from start to finish. Americans, by and large TUNE IT OUT.

The US has illegally invaded over 70 times since WWII. Americans, by and large TUNE IT OUT.

The US is the worst terrorist group on the planet. Americans, by and large TUNE IT OUT.

0 Replies

hightor

Tue 14 Mar, 2017 11:38 am
Quote:
You hear it from Republicans, pundits and even some Democrats. It’s often said in a tone of regret: I wish Obama had done health reform in a bipartisan way, rather than jamming through a partisan bill.

The lament seems to have the ring of truth, given that not a single Republican in Congress voted for Obamacare. Yet it is false —demonstrably so.
(...)
When Barack Obama ran for president, he faced a choice. He could continue moving the party to the center or tack back to the left. The second option would have focused on government programs, like expanding Medicare to start at age 55. But Obama and his team thought a plan that mixed government and markets — farther to the right of Clinton’s — could cover millions of people and had a realistic chance of passing.
(...)
At that point, Obama faced a second choice – between forging ahead with a substantively bipartisan bill and forgetting about covering the uninsured. The kumbaya plan for which pundits now wax nostalgic was not an option.

The reason is simple enough: Obamacare is the bipartisan version of health reform. It accomplishes a liberal end through conservative means and is much closer to the plan conservatives favored a few decades ago than the one liberals did. “It was the ultimate troll,” as Michael Anne Kyle of Harvard Business School put it, “for Obama to pass Republican health reform.”

The Original Lie About Obamacare (NYT)
0 Replies

camlok

Tue 14 Mar, 2017 11:39 am
@blatham,
Quote:
And he said, "The President clearly believes that a picture says a thousand words. Well, I think so too". Then we saw this photo comparison:

I heard all the inauguration talk but is that really an accurate portrayal of the difference?

Was Trump really whining and complaining about that with that great, that stark a factual difference?
0 Replies