monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

thack45

Sun 12 Mar, 2017 05:08 pm
@gungasnake,
And you are an obvious plant, employed by the democratic party in an effort to undermine the conservative movement by uttering embarrassingly ridiculous assertions. Well done old boy
camlok

Sun 12 Mar, 2017 05:21 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Holy smoke, Cicerone! You missed it all by a country mile. Are your eyes still glazed over?
camlok

Sun 12 Mar, 2017 05:26 pm
@thack45,
Why would the democratic party waste their time and money. Trump is all that is needed to undermine the conservative bowel movement.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Sun 12 Mar, 2017 05:28 pm
@camlok,
My eyes may be glazed over, but your brain is dead.
With all the discrination we suffered under whites before, during and after WWII, we ended up the most successful minority in the US. We got the last laugh.
Trump and many of you whites are now denigrating Muslims and Mexicans. A bunch of ignorant bigots.
hightor

Sun 12 Mar, 2017 07:36 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
You evidently have a good deal more faith in the effectiveness of government programs, the power seekers who design them and the bureaucrats who administer them than do I.

Yeah, I do.
Quote:
Corn based ethanol has raised the price of both gasoline and food products; made no contribution to the reduction of net carbon emissions; and created a producer lobby that stoutly resists any reduction in the subsidy.

Corn based ethanol is just another example of a boondoggle, in this case a bipartisan one specifically crafted to appeal to a reliable block of farm state voters. A rational energy policy would subject legislation to a cost/benefit analysis and consider choices using a scientific rather than a political calculus.
Quote:
Government subsidized student loans have yielded rapidly increasing tuition costs(...)

While government loan subsidies play a part in the steady rise of higher education costs, they are as much a correlation as a cause. The loan subsidies were, at first, a response to widely-shared concerns about college becoming unaffordable. Inflationary forces were already at work.
roger

Sun 12 Mar, 2017 08:18 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Corn based ethanol is just another example of a boondoggle, in this case a bipartisan one specifically crafted to appeal to a reliable block of farm state voters. A rational energy policy would subject legislation to a cost/benefit analysis and consider choices using a scientific rather than a political calculus.

I think you are helping to make George's point.
camlok

Sun 12 Mar, 2017 09:19 pm
@roger,
Quote:
I think you are helping to make george's point.

Lord knows he needs it.
0 Replies

revelette1

Sun 12 Mar, 2017 09:57 pm
Quote:

White House Addresses Trump’s Unorthodox Call to Preet Bharara

WASHINGTON — The White House offered an explanation on Sunday for a mysterious phone call that President Trump placed to Preet Bharara a day before abruptly dismissing him and 45 other United States attorneys, saying the president was merely trying to extend his good wishes.

But Mr. Bharara indicated on Sunday evening in a statement to The New York Times that he was skeptical of the White House account, although he did not offer an alternative explanation for the president’s call.

The call, placed on Thursday to the office of Mr. Bharara, the top federal prosecutor in Manhattan, by a personal assistant to the president, concerned Mr. Bharara because it seemed to be at odds with ethics protocols restricting communications between the White House and prosecutors. Mr. Bharara declined to return the call. But the White House said there was nothing untoward about it.

“The president reached out to Preet Bharara on Thursday to thank him for his service and to wish him good luck,” Sarah Huckabee Sanders, a White House spokeswoman, said in an email.

That account left many questions about the firing of Mr. Bharara, who was told by Mr. Trump during the transition period that he would be retained. Some Democrats accused Mr. Trump on Sunday of seeking to deter aggressive federal investigations on Wall Street and elsewhere.

Despite being asked repeatedly on Saturday about the nature of the call, the White House was silent until Sunday. Ms. Sanders declined to answer other questions, such as why Mr. Trump had changed his mind on Mr. Bharara, whether the president had made similar calls to other United States attorneys before demanding their resignations, and why the president did not try to convey his good wishes through an aide or by some other means.

In the call on Thursday, a woman who said she was from the president’s office left a voice mail message asking Mr. Bharara to call back, according to a person to whom Mr. Bharara described the call. The person, who was not authorized to discuss the matter, spoke on the condition of anonymity. Mr. Bharara conferred with his deputy about whether it would be appropriate to return the call, the person said.

Mr. Bharara called the chief of staff to the attorney general, Joseph H. Hunt. “Mr. Hunt was direct and clear in our conversation that, given written White House contacts policy, my position as a sitting U.S. attorney, and my office’s jurisdiction, it would be improper for me to speak directly to the sitting president without knowing the subject matter,” Mr. Bharara said in his statement.

“Some might find that inconsistent with what is for the first time, three days later being described as a well-wishes call,” he added.

NYT
0 Replies

camlok

Sun 12 Mar, 2017 10:27 pm
@cicerone imposter,
You do a complete 180, Cicerone, whenever you hear that your adopted government, the ones that imprisoned your kin, the ones that aided and abetted numerous war crimes against your ancestral home and people, the ones that have hidden all manner of vicious war crimes, myriad rapes, in all the countries the US has illegally invaded.

And it's deja vu all over again for the next set of poor folks who have some wealth the US wants to steal, more death and suffering instigated, as it always is by the US.

If it makes you feel content just to brag so be it.

But don't you have a feelings for all the firemen, first responders, the families, ... ?

Will you support absolutely everything your vicious governments do, just because you so desperately want to believe all the propaganda?
ossobucotemp

Sun 12 Mar, 2017 11:02 pm
@camlok,
Please do not try to teach Cicerone, you pissant. My boss was also in the camps.

You don't know us. You are spewing rage, on which many of us - oh, never mind.
blatham

Mon 13 Mar, 2017 01:19 am
@revelette1,
Quote:
I think that is their point, to destroy it, quickly; so they can throw it away while blaming the destruction on the affordable act itself. That way when they have to face voters in re-elections, they have a fall guy (Obama's health care) and get to go back to dog eat dog world of no help at all with health insurance.

Well, they certainly won't accept any blame themselves for the negative consequences of what they do, so a propaganda campaign assigning blame elsewhere will be in place.
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 13 Mar, 2017 01:23 am
@Sturgis,
Wow. Didn't attend a prom -> gayness. I've never heard that formulation before. Has she, or did she, come around to an understanding of your sexuality?
0 Replies

gungasnake

Mon 13 Mar, 2017 02:24 am

How could anybody possibly vote for what Assange is describing and then sit there on national TV crying and sobbing when that **** loses??
0 Replies

hightor

Mon 13 Mar, 2017 02:32 am
@roger,
Quote:
I think you are helping to make George's point.

Every government program doesn't have to be an exercise in inefficiency. It's typical of those who distrust government to point to programs and policies that haven't worked for one reason or another. In this case the reason is pretty clear and it's obvious that the rational oversight I mentioned wasn't applied.
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 13 Mar, 2017 02:34 am
Obama was spying on Trump by turning his microwave into a camera. Oh, yes.
Quote:
[Kellyanne Conway] says the “surveillance” may be broader than even Trump suggested.

In a wide-ranging interview Sunday at her home in Alpine, where she lives with her husband — a possible nominee for U.S. solicitor general — and their four children, Conway, who managed Trump’s presidential campaign before taking the job as one of the president's closest advisers, suggested that the alleged monitoring of activities at Trump’s campaign headquarters at Trump Tower in Manhattan may have involved far more than wiretapping.

“What I can say is there are many ways to surveil each other,” Conway said as the Trump presidency marked its 50th day in office during the weekend. “You can surveil someone through their phones, certainly through their television sets — any number of ways.”
Conway went on to say that the monitoring could be done with “microwaves that turn into cameras,” adding: “We know this is a fact of modern life.”

Conway did not offer any evidence to back up her claim
USA Today
Truth-tellers, this crowd. They're making America really great.
cicerone imposter

Mon 13 Mar, 2017 02:37 am
@blatham,
Conway paid dearly for getting hooked up with Trump. She used to enjoy high respect in DC until she became the spokesperson for ly,n Trump.
blatham

Mon 13 Mar, 2017 03:04 am
Quote:
In President Donald Trump’s word, according to CNN, Republicans would face a “bloodbath,” [if the healthcare bill doesn't go through] a description Ryan agreed with Sunday.

“I do believe that if we don't keep our word to the people who sent us here, yeah,” he said, there will be a bloodbath in 2018 for Republicans.

Ryan added: "The most important thing for a person like myself who runs for office and tells the people we're asking to hire us, 'This is what I'll do if I get elected.' And then if you don't do that, you're breaking your word."
Politico
It's worth thinking about Ryan's comments here.

First, he's acknowledging that he and his party are now profoundly constrained politically because of how radicalized they've made their own base. Over 8 years, they mounted and continued a massive propaganda campaign against the ACA to 1) try to stop a large entitlement program which violates modern ideology and 2) to turn as many people as possible against Obama through constant obstruction (admitted by McConnell, as we all remember). So now, if they don't appease the base they've made insane, it will hurt them in the next election and winning elections is pretty much all they care about.

Second, he's forwarding a suggestion of principle - "we promised X and therefore as politicians with integrity we must do X". But he's full of **** here as we can list the promises made by both Trump and himself (eg "no one will lose their health insurance" or "costs will be lower for better care" or "Medicaid will not be touched", etc) all of which are promises Ryan has no intention of keeping.
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 13 Mar, 2017 03:10 am
@cicerone imposter,
Like so many of these swamp creatures, she's now into the big bucks by being a parasite in the land of right wing con jobs. But I can't imagine anyone who would behave as she is now has an innocent or ethical past.
izzythepush

Mon 13 Mar, 2017 03:11 am
@ossobucotemp,
Camlok = JTT. He hates America and to a lesser extent the West, that's all he does. He has no credibility at all after speaking in support of the vile regime in North Korea, and a load of nutty conspiracy bollocks about the twin towers. Ignore him and he'll go away.
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 13 Mar, 2017 03:20 am
Let's note some Trump promises re healthcare and insurance, for the record.
Quote:
"We're going to have insurance for everybody" 1/15/17

"Everybody's got to bee covered... I am going to take care of everybody" 9/27/15

"we're gonna come up with a new plan that's going to be better health care for more people at a lesser cost." 1/25/17

"The new plan is good. It's going to be inexpensive. It's going to be much better for the people at the bottom, people that don't have any money." 2/18/16

"You're going to end up with great healthcare for a fractions of the price. And that's going to take place immediately" 2/19/16
0 Replies