monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

blatham

Fri 9 Dec, 2016 05:13 pm
Here it is. Let's celebrate today's 5 Star rated "Making Americans Stupider Every Day" winner.
Quote:
House Intelligence Committee Chairman Devin Nunes is chiding President Barack Obama for ordering a "full review" of Russia's election-year cyberattacks, saying the administration "has suddenly awoken to the threat" posed by Moscow.

"Russia's cyberattacks are no surprise to the House Intelligence Committee, which has been closely monitoring Russia's belligerence for years," the California Republican said Friday in a statement. "As I've said many times, the Intelligence Community has repeatedly failed to anticipate Putin's hostile actions."
But Trump was going to get on this like right away
blatham

Fri 9 Dec, 2016 05:27 pm
Nothing to worry about here. Trump's transition team is asking the Energy Department for some stuff, including the following:
Quote:
Can you provide a list of all Department of Energy employees or contractors who have attended any lnteragency Working Group on the Social Cost of Carbon meetings? Can you provide a list of when those meetings were and any materials distributed at those meetings, EPSA emails associated with those meetings, or materials created by Department employees or contractors in anticipation of or as a result of those meetings?

Vox has a good piece up on how this could be very important indeed given the appointments to Trump's EPA and given the influence of energy industries presently. Vox
georgeob1

Fri 9 Dec, 2016 05:45 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:
Do your own research

As noted earlier, Education was my degree area and that of both my brothers. The chances that you've studied educational theory and system outcomes more deeply than I isn't very likely.

I'm not sure that "educational Theory" has anything at all to do with this, and I didn't find any evidence of "deep" study in your interpretation of the politico article you pasted above. The sophistry was evident but you didn't see it.

However for your convenience, you can find exhaustive data on the relative performance (by state) of public and Charter schools here - data & analysis by the Stanford Univ. CREDO Institute 2015 Study

https://credo.stanford.edu/research-reports.html

The data shows significant gains, in both reading and mathematics, particularly in the Dertroit area, for students in Charter Schools compared to local public schools
layman

Fri 9 Dec, 2016 05:49 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:
I'm not sure that "educational Theory" has anything at all to do with this.

I am. Given the context that he's using it, I think the answer is clear, eh, George? It has absolutely NOTHING to do with the topic at hand.
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 9 Dec, 2016 05:50 pm
@georgeob1,
Good. Thanks, george. I'll get to that and respond.
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 9 Dec, 2016 05:53 pm
Greg Sargent has a good piece up on the hacking questions, including
Quote:
What happens if Russia did interfere in our election?

link

It began snowing here about 3 am last night. A good six or seven inches so far. Damned pretty but with the inevitable added complexities to the day.
layman

Fri 9 Dec, 2016 06:12 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:

He identifies himself as follows:
Quote:
Greg Sargent writes The Plum Line blog, a reported opinion blog with a liberal slant -- what you might call “opinionated reporting” from the left.

Like, whooda thunk, I ask ya?

Even so, I'd be the first to admit that this particular article is much less biased that the usual fare that you slop out here.

0 Replies

georgeob1

Fri 9 Dec, 2016 07:24 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:

What we know they they did was use hacks of the DNC and Hillary e mail systems to expose DNC collusion with the Hillary primary campaigh against Sanders and later with CNN moderators during the debates in the election, plus a few other like unsavory actions. Just who was "interfering with the election" here?

The Russians may well have done other things, as yet undetected, but it's a bit rich to ignore the obvious corruption within the DNC and its media allies.
layman

Fri 9 Dec, 2016 07:29 pm
@georgeob1,
Yeah, George. And if you want to call it "interference" on the grounds that it was one-sided, then you would have to also conclude that the main stream media "interfered" with the election.

The left is just pissed that their interference was interfered with by being somewhat counter-balanced.
0 Replies

Frugal1

Fri 9 Dec, 2016 07:36 pm
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CzL6qwVXUAAkQmE.jpg:large
layman

Fri 9 Dec, 2016 07:41 pm
@Frugal1,
Sho nuff, Frug. At last count, 70% of Americans do not trust the mainstream press. Many, if not most, of them will probably rely on Trump's twitter account to get news they trust from here on out.

Often suicide victims think they are hurting others by their actions. Possibly, but not near as much as they hurt their own damn self, eh?
0 Replies

layman

Fri 9 Dec, 2016 07:51 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
Putting those sorts of posters on ignore makes it easier to see the better stuff. And, importantly, it helps reduce the ratio of pissing contests.

Naw, that aint the benefit, Blathy. The main benefit of, and reason for using, the ignore feature here is to provide the kind of "safe space" that cheese-eating college kids demand. That is, a place where they will completely protected from the upsetting prospect of hearing a dissenting opinion.
0 Replies

layman

Fri 9 Dec, 2016 08:07 pm
As I understand it, anyone who enters a "safe space" pledges, in advance, to refrain from the slightest criticism of virtually anything that another person in the "safe space" says. To do so would be "judgmental." It would be, at a minimum, a "micro-agression" which grievously injures the other's feelings.

I say "virtually" because there are exceptions. Anyone who says something that another claims is "racist" or "sexist" is, of course, deserving of, and subject to, loud and limitless ridicule and verbal abuse by the others as he is being thrown out of the room and permanently exiled from all "safe spaces" everywhere.
Lash

Fri 9 Dec, 2016 08:14 pm
@layman,
We've raised a nation of imbecilic retardos. This safe space **** is almost more than I can countenance.
RABEL222

Fri 9 Dec, 2016 08:30 pm
@layman,
Ill talk to you again after two years of tRump. But no matter how much he has screwed up the us economy and world peace I'm sure he will still be the messiah to you. Bush 43 was still a hero to the conservatives even after his 8 years of constant screw ups.
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Fri 9 Dec, 2016 08:34 pm
@Lash,
Quote:
We've raised a nation of imbecilic retardos. This safe space **** is almost more than I can countenance.

Safe space? I have been hearing about it from people like Rush, Sean and Herman but I do wonder if they have been exaggerating the number of people who act this way. I seen a video of a lady I think was ridicules but I wonder if it is someone acting as if they are a democrat to mace fun of them.
0 Replies

layman

Fri 9 Dec, 2016 08:35 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

You're not alone. The notorious Steve Bannon (among others) made a documentary film which addresses some of the reasons for, and causes of, this sickening phenomenon.

0 Replies

RABEL222

Fri 9 Dec, 2016 08:37 pm
@blatham,
Where exactly was the house who it seems knew for eight years about the Russian hacking. Oh yes, I remember. They were investigating ACA, and Hillarys e-mails, and Bengazi. Taking care of the important stuff, for the conservatives that is.
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 9 Dec, 2016 10:30 pm
OK. So the latest good news is that Trump may nominate as head of the State Department the CEO of ExxonMobil. Because nothing says populism like the CEO of ExxonMobile as head of the State Department.

Here's a picture of the man. He's the one on the left.

http://static2.politico.com/dims4/default/7188242/2147483647/resize/1160x%3E/quality/90/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fstatic.politico.com%2Faf%2Fb3%2Fb0985b5540b18351ec3ade219b3d%2F161209-tillerson-putin-getty-1160.jpg
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 9 Dec, 2016 10:38 pm
But let's also note at this critical juncture where the US of A speeds over the edge of the cliff, that Trump is orchestrating this State Dept appointee thing exactly as he would promote a professional wrestling match. Exactly.

And if you think about it, one can see that Trump's understanding of truth is the same, no difference whatsoever, as it is for a wrestling promoter.