monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

blatham

Fri 9 Dec, 2016 04:13 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
Do your own research

As noted earlier, Education was my degree area and that of both my brothers. The chances that you've studied educational theory and system outcomes more deeply than I isn't very likely.
RABEL222

Fri 9 Dec, 2016 04:17 pm
@glitterbag,
If he screws up the whole world these stupid jerks will still proclaim him the messiah because they dont have the balls to admit they might be wrong.
ossobucotemp

@blatham,
Ok, ok, I'll look.
0 Replies

layman

@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:
Do your own research

As noted earlier, Education was my degree area and that of both my brothers. The chances that you've studied educational theory and system outcomes more deeply than I isn't very likely.

Heh, George, he really thinks this is a reasonable response. Like any doctrinaire zealot, he can "deduce" the answers to all empirical questions from his dogmatic premises.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Fri 9 Dec, 2016 04:20 pm
@RABEL222,
You mean how you guys have acted since Obama was elected in 2008?
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Fri 9 Dec, 2016 04:22 pm
@blatham,
Oh, George.

I've for some time liked him. And then see him snide in many posts, over and over.
RABEL222

Fri 9 Dec, 2016 04:23 pm
@glitterbag,
Its not an insult. When he calls someone a cheese eater it means they have scored a point on him and the only comment he is able to make over his embarrassment is cheese eater.
giujohn

Fri 9 Dec, 2016 04:31 pm
@ossobucotemp,
He made the bet with me and I'm the only one who can release himfrom it and I'm not going to do that. The only honorable thing he ever did was not welch on the bet.
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 9 Dec, 2016 04:32 pm
Quote:
When the Kellogg Company said last week that ads for its brands would no longer appear on Breitbart, the perpetually outraged far-right publisher found a new deplorable enemy. In a typically incendiary post, Breitbart characterized the company’s decision as part of a “war by leftist companies” against its readers. Since then, the site has published multiple posts criticizing the cereal company—“SHOCK: Amnesty International Blasts Kellogg’s for Using Child Labor-Produced Ingredients,” “Kellogg Foundation Gave Big to Soros Organization, Tides Foundation,” and so on. More to the point, it has called for “a movement against Kellogg’s bigotry” and a #dumpkelloggs boycott of Special K, Pop-Tarts, Pringles, and everything else the company makes. “We are fearless advocates for traditional American values,” Breitbart’s editor-in-chief declared. “Perhaps most important among them is freedom of speech.”

To be clear, Breitbart’s freedom of speech is not at risk: there’s nothing in the Constitution about an inalienable right to be sponsored by multinational brands. Like any other company in our system of free enterprise, Kellogg may choose to advertise in whatever venues it wishes, or nowhere at all. And, indeed, by one count, more than a hundred advertisers have lately made the same decision Kellogg did and pulled their ads from Breitbart. Intentionally or not, Breitbart seems to be misunderstanding the nature of mainstream brands—and, more to the point, misunderstanding the Internet-era advertising technology that’s causing some brands the sort of headache Kellogg is feeling today.
Corn Flakes will turn your children gay
Of course, these guys understand completely that free speech is not at risk. The goal is to convince less thoughtful and less educated people that it is. And the ancillary goal is to get what they want through the techniques of bullying and deceit.

It's quite OK to organize a boycott here in either direction. That's a way citizen groups can organize to achieve desired ends. But the negative consequences of such bullying and deceits is what makes the normal and inevitable contests between groups with different ideas a destructive phenomenon.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Fri 9 Dec, 2016 04:33 pm
@blatham,
tRump has 4 years. Do you think he can outdo Bush 43's 2, 2 trillion dollar wars and the total destruction of the economy? I'm betting he can.
Baldimo

Fri 9 Dec, 2016 04:37 pm
@RABEL222,
I only hope he doesn't double the national debt like Obama did.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Fri 9 Dec, 2016 04:43 pm
@blatham,
Of course Billionaires understand what it's like for everyday joes live from check to check and will do all they can to deprive them of that grand living.
blatham

Fri 9 Dec, 2016 04:43 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Quote:
Oh, George.

I've for some time liked him. And then see him snide in many posts, over and over.

I meant George as differentiated with georgeob.

Some folks never put anyone on ignore not because doing so makes them feel kind of guilty but rather because their goal is to contest "the enemy" and to, it is hoped, minimize the perceived damage when "bad" ideas are floated in the community. For a few months several years ago, I spent a good deal of time commenting at National Review and that was a very interesting experience. For example, it became obvious immediately that left wing trolls behaved much the same way as right wing trolls do - short posts, little or no analysis, prominent use of cliches, insults over content, etc. Putting those sorts of posters on ignore makes it easier to see the better stuff. And, importantly, it helps reduce the ratio of pissing contests.
layman

Fri 9 Dec, 2016 04:49 pm
@RABEL222,
RABEL222 wrote:

Of course Billionaires understand what it's like for everyday joes live from check to check and will do all they can to deprive them of that grand living.

I seldom respond to your simplistic posts, but I'll make an exception here. Trump, and all other billionaires, create many thousands of jobs for "everyday joes." Without capital investment from those willing to take a risk, there would be no jobs whatsoever.

However, unlike most of the "globalist" billionaires, Trump wants to keep those jobs in America as much as possible, and to eliminate the massive incentives created for them to invest outside the border.
ossobucotemp

Fri 9 Dec, 2016 04:54 pm
@RABEL222,
There seem to be different takes on it.

I take it that it was about people getting free cheese. My inlaws did.

I don't know about all the rest of the meaning.
layman

Fri 9 Dec, 2016 04:55 pm
@ossobucotemp,
ossobucotemp wrote:

I take it that it was about people getting free cheese. My inlaws did.

I done told ya that aint right, Jo, but, hey, keep on truckin, Darlin.
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 9 Dec, 2016 04:57 pm
@RABEL222,
Quote:
Trump has 4 years. Do you think he can outdo Bush 43's 2, 2 trillion dollar wars and the total destruction of the economy? I'm betting he can.

I truly don't know. But I'm fearful. Manufacturing jobs aren't coming back (in any degree like we had available decades ago) because it is just so much cheaper to make stuff where people are paid a dollar a day. Coal is not coming back. Steel prices, I understand, are out the bottom. All of this makes for a pretty tough problem for any economic plan.

Now add in the coming huge tax cuts to upper income people and to corporations (from 35% down to 20 or 15% I think it is) will mean many billions pulled out of government coffers and that will facilitate the destruction of many social programs which aid the sick and the elderly and those in trouble. And once taken away, building those institutions again might not be possible for a long while.

Will this administration be zesty for war? I don't know but I surely don't trust what Trump has said to this point. The rhetoric and the likely future budgeting point to increased expenditures for the military sector. That's an old right wing rah rah patriotism thing, of course, but the presence of so many military types around Trump isn't encouraging. And, as with Bush Jr, the expenditures of war facilitated big, big money to related corporate entities and facilitated the cries of "We're broke!"
0 Replies

layman

Fri 9 Dec, 2016 04:58 pm
That's another distinctive trait of a cheese-eater, eh? You can NEVER tell them what you mean. They tell you what you mean. Turns out, of course, that you always mean to express and incite racist sentiments.
0 Replies

roger

Fri 9 Dec, 2016 04:58 pm
@blatham,

blatham wrote:

Quote:
Oh, George.

I meant George as differentiated with georgeob.

Some folks never put anyone on ignore not because doing so makes them feel kind of guilty but rather because their goal is to contest "the enemy" and to, it is hoped, minimize the perceived damage when "bad" ideas are floated in the community. For a few months several years ago, I spent a good deal of time commenting at National Review and that was a very interesting experience. For example, it became obvious immediately that left wing trolls behaved much the same way as right wing trolls do - short posts, little or no analysis, prominent use of cliches, insults over content, etc. Putting those sorts of posters on ignore makes it easier to see the better stuff. And, importantly, it helps reduce the ratio of pissing contests.

Not sure I understand all this, but just for clarity, I have never seen anything resembling a snide post or comment from George. For additional clarity, I mean George as in Soccer George from Abuzz.
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Fri 9 Dec, 2016 05:00 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
I spent a good deal of time commenting at National Review and that was a very interesting experience. For example, it became obvious immediately that left wing trolls behaved much the same way as right wing trolls do - short posts, little or no analysis, prominent use of cliches, insults over content, etc. Putting those sorts of posters on ignore makes it easier to see the better stuff. And, importantly, it helps reduce the ratio of pissing contests.

Thank you for sharing. I will try it myself with others I think have no chance of adding value to threads.
0 Replies