monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

cicerone imposter

Fri 9 Dec, 2016 10:42 pm
@blatham,
What damage can Trump cause our country?
layman

Fri 9 Dec, 2016 10:48 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

But let's also note at this critical juncture where the US of A speeds over the edge of the cliff...

While we're at "noting," let's note that your subjective conclusions, which stem from your commie-ass leanings, are empty and only appeal to your fellow-travelling sycophants.

It is easy to "preach to the choir," but don't mistake that with persuading others to convert to your religion. That takes some compelling logic. Which you aint got.

Nothing like alarmism to suck in the gullible, eh? "Speeding over the cliff!!"

Suddenly I'm afraid. VERY afraid.

NOT.
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 10 Dec, 2016 08:39 am
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:

The question is too large, ci. Or the answers too numerous. But my concerns and the concerns of many others can be found in the many posts starting on page one.

But one way which is presently emerging is this one:
Quote:
The contradiction between Trump’s populist rhetoric and Puzder’s anti-worker agenda is rooted in the coalition that Trump built during the election. He won the electoral vote by appealing to working class whites who previously had not voted or voted for Democrats, but he also had the support of many conventional business-friendly Republicans. To hold this coalition together, it looks like Trump is going to square the circle via political theater—using the spotlight he enjoys as president-elect to single out individual businesses for populist ire, while handing the levers of power to corporate leaders like Puzder.
kleptocracy behind a populist facade
Frugal1

Sat 10 Dec, 2016 09:06 am
Trump is well on his way to becoming one of America's great presidents.
MontereyJack

Sat 10 Dec, 2016 10:26 am
@Frugal1,
Trump is far and away in the lead to become America's all-time worst president.
Debra Law

Sat 10 Dec, 2016 10:33 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:

The question is too large, ci. Or the answers too numerous. But my concerns and the concerns of many others can be found in the many posts starting on page one.

Quote:
The contradiction between Trump’s populist rhetoric and Puzder’s anti-worker agenda is rooted in the coalition that Trump built during the election. He won the electoral vote by appealing to working class whites who previously had not voted or voted for Democrats, but he also had the support of many conventional business-friendly Republicans. To hold this coalition together, it looks like Trump is going to square the circle via political theater—using the spotlight he enjoys as president-elect to single out individual businesses for populist ire, while handing the levers of power to corporate leaders like Puzder.
kleptocracy behind a populist facade

The title of the article for the link you posted used words that are unfamiliar to the simpleminded: "Kleptocracy behind a populist façade". It should have used simple words ala Trump to get the message across: The ultra-rich will win so much they will get tired of winning and the workers will lose bigly.

Trump, the false prophet, mocks the fact that so many people are amazed by the gullibility of his working class supporters: “What amazes a lot of people is that I’m sitting in an apartment the likes of which nobody’s ever seen,” the next President says, smiling [more likely, smirking]. “And yet I represent the workers of the world.”

http://time.com/time-person-of-the-year-2016-donald-trump/

But why should people be amazed when the Bible has always warned us of this very thing: Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing but inwardly are ravenous wolves.

And now an army of ravenous wolves are being placed in all key government positions and it appears that Trump's working class followers are still oblivious. It will be interesting to watch the useful idiots defend their false prophet over the next four years.

0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Sat 10 Dec, 2016 11:20 am
@blatham,
If my observation is correct, the rich got richer, and the middle class and the poor continues to struggle. The funny thing is that our savings have continued to grow since my retirement in 1998, and we are not rich.
I believe part of it has to do with the fact that I paid off our mortgage in the same year I retired. We have no fixed expense for a mortgage or our cars.
I don't think any of the presidents affected our lifestyle.
My only hope with Trump is that he does no harm to our economy. By the looks of the stock market, it looks positive so far.
revelette1

Sat 10 Dec, 2016 12:04 pm
@cicerone imposter,
All of his cabinet picks would be good for the stock markets, just not necessarily good for the middle class and poverty level people in this country. You were fortunate to have lived and worked in more prosperous times and made solid good economic decisions. Unfortunately, we are not living in such good economic times for people other than the 1% and they can't afford to make such good economic decisions.

When Obama first came in, they had to concentrate on the financial crises and so made decisions which did not necessarily help the middle class and lower class. Obama had jobs programs he wanted to pass and other such measures, he had no support from either party because the democrats were too passive and the republicans too partisan. Trump will have plenty of support to pass what he wants with both the house and the senate. We will see how it turns out.
cicerone imposter

Sat 10 Dec, 2016 12:07 pm
@revelette1,
Many cities in California raised the minimum wage above the federal minimum wage, and that hasn't hurt business from what I have observed.
revelette1

Sat 10 Dec, 2016 12:13 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I am glad they have, I only wish the federal government would raise the minimum wage for all wage earners, but I do not think Trump will push to do so and neither will the republican congress. In fact, I seem to remember him saying the minimum wage is too high now.

Donald Trump Insists That Wages Are ‘Too High’
revelette1

Sat 10 Dec, 2016 12:20 pm
Trump, Mocking Claim That Russia Hacked Election, at Odds with G.O.P.

Quote:
WASHINGTON — An extraordinary breach has emerged between President-elect Donald J. Trump and the national security establishment, with Mr. Trump mocking American intelligence assessments that Russia interfered in the election on his behalf, and top Republicans vowing investigations into Kremlin activities.

Mr. Trump, in a statement issued by his transition team on Friday evening, expressed complete disbelief in the intelliegence agencies’ assessments. “These are the same people that said Saddam Hussein had weapons of mass destruction,” Mr. Trump’s team said, adding that the election was over and that it was time to “move on.”

Though Mr. Trump has wasted no time in antagonizing the agencies, to carry out priorities like combating terrorism and deterring cyberattacks he will have to rely on them for the sort of espionage activities and analysis that they spend more than $70 billion a year to perform.

At this point in a transition, a president-elect is usually delving into intelligence he has never before seen and learning about C.I.A. and National Security Agency abilities. But Mr. Trump, who has taken intelligence briefings only sporadically, is questioning not only analytic conclusions, but also their underlying facts.

“To have the president-elect of the United States simply reject the fact-based narrative that the intelligence community puts together because it conflicts with his a priori assumptions — wow,” said Michael V. Hayden, who was the director of the N.S.A. and later the C.I.A. under President George W. Bush.

With the partisan emotions on both sides — Mr. Trump’s supporters see a plot to undermine his presidency, and Hillary Clinton’s supporters see a conspiracy to keep her from the presidency — the result is an environment in which even those basic facts become the basis for dispute.

Mr. Trump’s team lashed out at the agencies after The Washington Post reported that the C.I.A. believed that Russia had intervened to undercut Mrs. Clinton and lift Mr. Trump, and The New York Times reported that Russia had broken into Republican National Committee computer networks just as they had broken into Democratic ones, but had released documents only on the Democrats.

The president-elect finds himself in a bind after strenuously rejecting for months all assertions that Russia was working to help him. While there is no evidence that the Russian efforts affected the outcome of the election or the legitimacy of the vote, Mr. Trump and his aides want to shut the door on any such notion, including the idea that President Vladimir V. Putin schemed to put him in office.

Instead, Mr. Trump casts the issue as an unknowable mystery. “It could be Russia,” he recently told Time magazine. “And it could be China. And it could be some guy in his home in New Jersey.”

The Republicans who lead the congressional committees overseeing intelligence, the Pentagon and the Department of Homeland Security take the opposite view. They say that Russia was behind the election meddling, but that the scope and intent of the operation need deep investigation, hearings and public reports.

More at the source.
tony5732

Sat 10 Dec, 2016 12:46 pm
@cicerone imposter,
It doesn't hurt the business to raise minimum wage, they simply charge customers more to pay the higher labor costs. Which is why California is one of the most expensive states to live in.
tony5732

Sat 10 Dec, 2016 12:48 pm
@revelette1,
Minimum wage IS too high. It causes inflation and companies to move to other countries.
Krumple

Sat 10 Dec, 2016 01:16 pm
@tony5732,
tony5732 wrote:

Minimum wage IS too high. It causes inflation and companies to move to other countries.

Notice Tony you get voted down on accurate statements dealing with economics.

On a general note a huge majority of people simply do not understand economics even in simplistic terms.

I don't blame them it's not a very exciting topic but still, they are very easily swayed by lies because it's too boring to research.

With such a great access to a tool for learning most people ignore it for false data that sounds good.

With all that said, minimum wage policies are terrible for the public, not better. The raise the cost of living while reducing the quality of that living. Things will cost more and you'll get less. It's a terrible idea for the poor.
georgeob1

Sat 10 Dec, 2016 01:35 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Here it is. Let's celebrate today's 5 Star rated "Making Americans Stupider Every Day" winner.
Quote:
House Intelligence Committee Chairman Devin Nunes is chiding President Barack Obama for ordering a "full review" of Russia's election-year cyberattacks, saying the administration "has suddenly awoken to the threat" posed by Moscow.

"Russia's cyberattacks are no surprise to the House Intelligence Committee, which has been closely monitoring Russia's belligerence for years," the California Republican said Friday in a statement. "As I've said many times, the Intelligence Community has repeatedly failed to anticipate Putin's hostile actions."
But Trump was going to get on this like right away

I think it is far more likely that Rep. Nunes was pointing out the rather odd and sudden emergence of Obama's interest in deflecting attention from the corruption within the DNC and the Cinton Campaign revealed the in the hacks their candidate made so easy for the Russians. Obama appears to have been on an "it wasn't my fault" tour lately; blaming the intelligence community for not alerting him to the danger posed by ISIS (notwithstanding long prior published concerns of former SECDEF Gates, and several Generals (including Flynn whom he fired for speaking out on the matter), and the rest of us for racism and other sins in not fully appreciating his all - around wonderfulness.

Blatham sees the news only through lens of his largely silly prefabricated political agenda, and regularly ignores rather clear contextual detail pointing in s very different direction. There are words for that as well.
layman

Sat 10 Dec, 2016 01:49 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:
Blatham sees the news only through lens of his largely silly prefabricated political agenda, and regularly ignores rather clear contextual detail pointing in s very different direction. There are words for that as well.

Yeah, words like cheese-eater, eh?
georgeob1

Sat 10 Dec, 2016 01:58 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:

Quote:
The contradiction between Trump’s populist rhetoric and Puzder’s anti-worker agenda is rooted in the coalition that Trump built during the election. He won the electoral vote by appealing to working class whites who previously had not voted or voted for Democrats, but he also had the support of many conventional business-friendly Republicans. blah, blah, ......

While Blatham ponders a question so large that we mortals ( at his feet, of course) will have to reread ALL of his overmany, compulsive and repetitive posts, going back to page 1, to begin to comprehend it; we should note that the American union movement has virtually disappeared from the private sector economy. Industries that once employed hundreds of thousands of union members are gone - collapsed under the weight of foreign competition, the resistence of the Unions themselves to productivity enhancing modernization, and increasing environmental regulation. The few that have survived or been recentlky created have all carefully avoided union infestation. Today the vast majority of remaining union members are employed by Federal and State governments - and that too appears to be in jeopardy.

Unlike his inept, hapless predecessor, Trump is actively addressing some of the root causes of this industrial collapse including our tax and regulatory structures, and, as well, the destreuctive appetities of the largely parasitic unions thewmselves. His nominee for Labor Secretary will likely do that, and workers will be better off for it.

Meanwhile Blatham's understanding of the question and the answer remains lost in the ether of his delusions.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Sat 10 Dec, 2016 02:19 pm
@layman,
layman wrote:

Yeah, words like cheese-eater, eh?

That will do indeed !
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 10 Dec, 2016 02:35 pm
I've just begun reading this review of books and documents detailing how Exxon's scientists have long appreciated the global warming crisis while their PR operations have pretended something quite different.
Quote:
In 1980, for example, Exxon paid $400 million for the rights to the Natuna natural gas field in the South China Sea. But company scientists soon realized that the field contained unusually high concentrations of carbon dioxide, and concluded in 1984 that extracting its gas would make it “the world’s largest point source emitter of CO2 [, which] raises concern for the possible incremental impact of Natuna on the CO2 greenhouse problem.” The company left Natuna undeveloped. Exxon’s John Woodward, who wrote an internal report on the field in 1981, told InsideClimate News, “They were being farsighted. They weren’t sure when CO2 controls would be required and how it would affect the economics of the project.”3

This, of course, was a responsible decision. But it indicates the distance between Exxon’s decades of public deception about climate change and its internal findings. So do investments that Exxon and its Canadian subsidiary Imperial Oil made in the Arctic. As Ken Croasdale, a senior ice researcher at Imperial, told an engineering conference in 1991, concentrations of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere were increasing “due to the burning of fossil fuels. Nobody disputes this fact.” Accordingly,

Quote:
any major development with a life span of say 30–40 years will need to assess the impacts of potential global warming. This is particularly true of Arctic and offshore projects in Canada, where warming will clearly affect sea ice, icebergs, permafrost and sea levels.

Croasdale based these projections on the same climate models that Exxon’s leaders spent the next fifteen years publicly disparaging. But following his warnings that rising seas would threaten buildings on the coast, bigger waves would threaten offshore drilling platforms, and thawing permafrost would threaten pipelines, Exxon began reinforcing its Arctic infrastructure.4
NYRB
ossobucotemp

Sat 10 Dec, 2016 02:48 pm
@blatham,
I get their fears.
0 Replies