monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

georgeob1

Thu 2 Mar, 2017 01:21 pm
@layman,
layman wrote:

Quote:
I just heard Sessions on the radio and he sounds as thick as mince, so it is plausible.

You never miss a chance to prove what a pompous, conceited and self-centered ass you are, eh, Dizzy? If you had half the intelligence Sessions has, you would be 2-3 times smarter than you are.

If Izzy was more intelligent and experienced in life he might be able to match the technique and pseudo savior faire of the unctuous Royal Navy types (boylies, we called them) we would encounter in the Middle East.
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 2 Mar, 2017 01:26 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
My post was an accurate depiction of the reality of the matter

Yes, of course it is. And Roger Stone will back you on this 110%. Putin too. And Gorka. And Limbaugh. You hang with the very best people, george.
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 2 Mar, 2017 01:37 pm
Well, this changes everything.

Spicer said today that Sessions was "100 percent straight" with the committee.

Some persons have a bad reputation in the whole truth-telling thing. But not Sean. He's been like a saint.
Walter Hinteler

Thu 2 Mar, 2017 01:41 pm
@blatham,
“I think the people choosing to play partisan politics with this should be ashamed of themselves!”
cicerone imposter

Thu 2 Mar, 2017 01:42 pm
@blatham,
Fact check on Sean Spicer.
http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/21/politics/sean-spicer-fact-check/index.html
Pictures speak a thousand words (maybe a million).
http://www.ctvnews.ca/world/fact-check-trump-overstates-crowd-size-at-inaugural-1.3251734
http://wjla.com/news/nation-world/fact-check-trump-overstates-crowd-size-at-inaugural

0 Replies

izzythepush

Thu 2 Mar, 2017 01:47 pm
https://scontent-lht6-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-0/s480x480/17021896_1801070673549491_8745530041573250405_n.jpg?oh=56f6c26d84c2766f7e34c0428e8ac55c&oe=596EDD44
blatham

Thu 2 Mar, 2017 01:53 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
A singularly wonderful sentence, that one.
Sturgis

Thu 2 Mar, 2017 01:58 pm
I've just about abandoned hope of truth exiting the mouths of the current crop of cretins occupying the White House. Are they not capable of honesty or simply monsters of the worsrt form?
revelette1

Thu 2 Mar, 2017 01:59 pm
Analysis | Your cheat sheet to four potential investigations of Russia and President Trump

So, we know the U.S. intelligence community believes that Russia meddled in the presidential election to boost Donald Trump. We also know the FBI is investigating possible connections between Russia and some of Trump's campaign allies.

What many Democrats — and even some Republicans — aren't sure about is whether that investigation will live up to ethical standards. The man in charge of it, Attorney General Jeff Sessions, is one of Trump's closest political allies, and a blockbuster report from The Washington Post asserts Sessions had two conversations with Russia's ambassador in 2016, conversations he did not disclose during his confirmation hearings for the job.

"I have not met with any Russians at any time to discuss any political campaign," Sessions told NBC News in response to the report, adding: "I have said whenever it's appropriate, I will recuse myself. There's no doubt about that."

1) Various investigations by congressional committees

The House and Senate intelligence committees, which deal with some of the nation's most well-kept secrets, are already planning to investigate Russia's attempt to influence the U.S. presidential election.

After Michael T. Flynn resigned earlier this month as national security adviser over his own conversations with Russia's ambassador about sanctions, House Intelligence Committee Chairman Devin Nunes (R-Calif.) said he'd consider expanding the panel's investigation to Trump's aides talking to Russia. He later added that he's more focused on how reports of those conversations got leaked than he is on the conversations themselves.

GOP leaders of the House and Senate judiciary committees also have expressed a willingness to look into the circumstances surrounding Flynn's conversations. GOP leaders haven't immediately commented on this Sessions news, though Democrats certainly have:

Potential pros of this kind of investigation: It can begin right away.

Potential cons: It could be viewed by the public as partisan, since Republicans control both chambers of Congress and thus hold a majority in every committee that's investigating Russia.

Likelihood of this kind of investigation happening: It's very likely that Russia and Trump will be investigated in Congress in some form, although Republicans are divided about how seriously to take the allegations that Trump's associates had contact with Russia.

2) A special congressional committee

Under this scenario, a group of about a dozen lawmakers would be assigned to only investigate — well, whatever it was set up to investigate.

Potential pros: This kind of investigation is usually more thorough, because unlike other committees in Congress, it has only one issue to focus on. It also can be perceived as less partisan than the regular committee process, especially if Congress agrees to put an even number of Republicans and Democrats on it.

Potential cons: Most Republicans, including leaders, don't seem to have any desire to set up a high-profile, time-consuming committee to investigate the issue. Even some of Trump's toughest GOP critics, including Sen. John McCain (Ariz.), have said it's too soon to open a special congressional probe into who Trump's aides talked to and when. (Though McCain has expressed support for a separate special committee to look into how Russia tried to influence the presidential election.)

Another con: This type of investigation could take years to get started and even longer to complete. And they are not immune to partisanship. Democrats and Republicans investigating the 2012 attacks in Benghazi, Libya, couldn't even come to the same conclusion as to what actually happened when they released their final report in June.

Likelihood of it happening: Slim but not impossible. To get this committee started, a majority of lawmakers in one or both chambers must approve it, and there just doesn't seem to be that kind of support.

3) The Justice Department expands its investigation

The FBI, which sits under the Justice Department, is already investigating allegations of Russia hacking the U.S. election, including any financial ties between the Russian government and associates of Trump. It could expand that investigation however it feels necessary.

Potential pros: It's lawyers, not Congress, (read: lawyers-turned-politicians) doing the investigating.

Potential cons: It's largely being done behind closed doors and thus, it's not really clear what, specifically, the FBI is investigating.

Also, the person ultimately in charge — Sessions — is a close ally of Trump's. He was one of the first sitting members of Congress to endorse the president. That's why Rep. Darrell Issa (Calif.), a top Republican, recently said it may not be appropriate for Sessions to be in charge of the FBI's investigation of Russia.

“You’re right that you cannot have somebody — a friend of mine, Jeff Sessions — who was on the campaign and who is an appointee,” Issa said on a Friday show of HBO's “Real Time With Bill Maher.” You’re going to need to use the special prosecutor’s statute and office.”

Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) appeared to second that in a CNN town hall Wednesday:

"There may be nothing there. But if there’s something there that the FBI believes is criminal in nature, then for sure you need a special prosecutor. If that day ever comes, I’ll be the first one to say it needs to be somebody other than Jeff.”

Which brings us to the final kind of investigation being considered:

4) A special prosecutor

A special prosecutor is someone — usually outside the confines of government — picked by the government to investigate potential wrongdoing.

The most famous special prosecutor in recent history is Kenneth Starr, a lawyer who was chosen to investigate President Bill Clinton's real estate investments and eventually wound up uncovering the president's affair with a White House intern.

Potential pros: It's the most independent kind of investigation the government can have, because the government is not doing the investigating.

Potential cons: It can turn into a political spectacle in its own right — or uncover unexpected things. Starr's broadened inquiry eventually led to Clinton's impeachment by the House. And when Archibald Cox tried to force President Richard Nixon to turn over tape recordings of his White House conversations, Nixon fired the attorney general who appointed Cox.

Another con: Sessions could be the person to appoint the special prosecutor, which would for some critics lead us right back to the conflict-of-interest question haunting the existing investigations.

Likelihood of this happening: Slim, but not impossible. Even the White House isn't ruling out a special prosecutor to look into Russian meddling in the election, although a spokeswoman said Sunday that it's premature to say whether that's necessary. Sessions told NBC News he'd consider it: ""I have said whenever it's appropriate, I will recuse myself. There's no doubt about that."
blatham

Thu 2 Mar, 2017 02:00 pm
Look at this.
Quote:
Rep. Devin Nunes (R-Calif.), who chairs the [Senate Intelligence] committee, maintained that
Quote:
there is no evidence of contacts between Trump associates and Russian officials
, aside from former national security adviser Michael Flynn’s call to the Russian ambassador before Trump was sworn in.
Actually, there's lots.

Quote:
“But, as I’ve said, I read about this in the newspaper, and I see some of you talking about it,” Nunes said. “If you have those names, of those people, if you wanna come forward as a whistleblower and bring those to us, we would greatly appreciate it because we would like to have those names, bring those people in, but we need some credible evidence in order to do that.”
Whistleblowers - please identify yourselves, we'd appreciate that. But I like the next bit best.

Quote:
He then advised reporters to "be careful" because congressional investigators could get interested in their contacts with Russian officials.

“I’m sure some of you are in contact with the Russian embassy, so be careful what you ask for here because if we start getting transcripts of any of you or other Americans talking to the press, then we can — do you want us to conduct an investigation on you or other Americans because you were talking to the Russian embassy?” he asked. “I just think we need to be careful.”
http://www.politico.com/story/2017/03/schiff-doj-235615

0 Replies

McGentrix

Thu 2 Mar, 2017 02:01 pm
@Sturgis,
Sturgis wrote:

I've just about abandoned hope of truth exiting the mouths of the current crop of cretins occupying the White House. Are they not capable of honesty or simply monsters of the worsrt form?

Maybe listen to less network news. It's bad for you.
0 Replies

giujohn

Thu 2 Mar, 2017 02:01 pm
There is no "there" there regarding the Ruskies. Let's see who's balls are bigger.

I WILL BET ANYONE YOUR USER NAME NOTHING WILL COME OF IT

(You must have more than 1000 posts to play)
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 2 Mar, 2017 02:02 pm
@Sturgis,
Quote:

They are monsters. And you definitely have no reason at all to expect them to be truthful. The evidence for that had been overwhelming long before inauguration.

0 Replies

layman

Thu 2 Mar, 2017 02:04 pm
I went to see a basketball game at the local Jr. College last night. The number of fouls called during the game (57) was a record, they said.

51 of those fouls were called against the visiting team that won the game. Afterwards, at the bar, all the losers complained about how the refs "stole the game" from them.

Go figure, eh?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Thu 2 Mar, 2017 02:08 pm
@blatham,
On Trump lies:
https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/cb040829-8817-389c-91fa-ef18f831fd68/donald-trump-tells-a-lot-of.html
0 Replies

maporsche

Thu 2 Mar, 2017 02:12 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

It is amusing to me that the whole controversy about Russia arises from Democrat indignation over an apparent hacking of the DNC e mail server through as pishing attack on John Podesta's e mail account that revealed his highly secure password which was "password". Evidently the FBI (or someone in gov't) was monitoring these efforts which had revealed earlier, unsuccessful efforts to penetrate the apparently more secure RNC servers. On discovering the attempts at the DNC, FBI agents fruitlessly attempted to warn the DNC on several occasions, but evidently never got a response from them. The successful Russian penetration of Podesta's e mail account revealed other DNC e mails confirming DNC collusion with the Clinton campaign to corrupt both the Sanders primary efforts and the debates in the final election, and possibly other information derived earlier from attacks on then Secretary of State Clinton's illicit and unsecured private e mail server in the basement of her Chappaqua NY mansion.

Now the hyperindignant loosers in the party, confusing their self-interest and offended vanity with the national interest of the country, are on a campaign to paint any communication with anyone in Russia on any matter at all with a supposed conspirtacy to hack our election ( very odd in that what was actually revealed was merely an effort by the DNC and its candidate themselves to corrupt the election process).

The truth is that there is much real and significant action in the worls and between the United States and Russia that has nothing at all to do with the pipsqueaks and functionaries of the Democrat political machine: they are not, contrary to their evident belief, the center of the universe.

Pathetic.

Plus, it was just a blowjob right?? I mean why is everyone harping on this?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Thu 2 Mar, 2017 02:13 pm
I keep seeing this or similar

Quote:
we know the U.S. intelligence community believes that Russia meddled in the presidential election to boost Donald Trump.

Maybe Russia should have registered as a 501c? Those organizations seem to be allowed to meddle as much as they want to.

Do we only really care about this because Donald Trump won? Would this be an issue Had Hillary won?

What about all the times the US has meddled in various elections around the world? Does that come to play for the left at all? I mean surely you guys don't envision the US to white as snow pure in that, right?

I continue to think this whole affair is nothing more than an attempt to be as damaging as humanly possible to a political opponent that seems to really ring your bells. Like Pavlov and his dogs. Trump rings and you guys salivate.
blatham

Thu 2 Mar, 2017 02:14 pm
From Jennifer Rubin, commie pinko playing partisan politics (and unasharmed)
Quote:
The question at this point is whether any Republican, especially one enlisted to help spin Trump’s defense, can be entrusted with this investigation. Given the latest development, the answer for more and more Americans will be an emphatic no.
WP
cicerone imposter

Thu 2 Mar, 2017 02:15 pm
@McGentrix,
You're missing the whole point: Trump's approval rating in his first month in office is the lowest in history.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/01/trump-low-approval-rating-transition-233678

Have you ever heard of buyer's remorse?
0 Replies

revelette1

Thu 2 Mar, 2017 02:17 pm
@blatham,
I guess we Americans are powerless against this administration no matter what they did and how far they went and how far they are still connected Russian parties and Putin himself. Nevertheless, I hope various intelligence groups continue to investigate and journalist continue to dig so at least the truth is out there.