monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

Olivier5

Wed 1 Mar, 2017 10:22 am
@giujohn,
Quote:
Anyone who calls for the assassination of an American president because they disagree with his ideology is a piece of human garbage

That's not the reason though, because Trump has no ideology to speak of. No, I just think he is the enemy of the American people (and of mankind as well, for good measure), and as such he should be disposed of. I don't really care about the means, e.g. if you guys just impeach him that's fine too.
thack45

Wed 1 Mar, 2017 10:33 am
@Olivier5,
He'll break his hip reaching at the top shelf for the Metamucil soon enough
layman

Wed 1 Mar, 2017 10:34 am
Here's a passage from that uber-commie, Chistopher Hitchins, that I like to post now and again, eh?:

Quote:
One of the many problems with the American left, and indeed of the American left, has been its image and self-image as something rather too solemn, mirthless, herbivorous, dull, monochrome, righteous, and boring. How many times, in my old days at The Nation magazine, did I hear wistful and semienvious ruminations? Where was the radical Firing Line show? Who will be our Rush Limbaugh? I used privately to hope that the emphasis, if the comrades ever got around to it, would be on the first of those and not the second. But the meetings themselves were so mind-numbing and lugubrious that I thought the danger of success on either front was infinitely slight.

Cheese-eaters are no-laughin muthfukkaz, sho nuff.
Olivier5

Wed 1 Mar, 2017 10:35 am
@thack45,
Let's pray the Lord.
gungasnake

Wed 1 Mar, 2017 10:37 am
@layman,
Quote:
So, ya might ask, what did Wapo have to say?:

Screw the wapo, I wouldn't use that sort of thing to wipe my ass with or wrap a fish with.
0 Replies

layman

Wed 1 Mar, 2017 10:38 am
@layman,
By the way, that excerpt comes from Hitchins' review of a Michael Moore production, which is quite entertaining in its own right:

Quote:
To describe this film as dishonest and demagogic would almost be to promote those terms to the level of respectability. To describe this film as a piece of crap would be to run the risk of a discourse that would never again rise above the excremental. To describe it as an exercise in facile crowd-pleasing would be too obvious. Fahrenheit 9/11 is a sinister exercise in moral frivolity, crudely disguised as an exercise in seriousness. It is also a spectacle of abject political cowardice masking itself as a demonstration of "dissenting" bravery.

I never quite know whether Moore is as ignorant as he looks, or even if that would be humanly possible.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/fighting_words/2004/06/unfairenheit_911.html
0 Replies

McGentrix

@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Quote:
Let me repeat their last bit there... That’s true as far as it goes Why did they feel the need to continue from there I have no idea.

Probably because it only paints a partial picture. They inherited a "poor economy" compared to that of the '90s but it was a growing economy compared to the situation in early 2009. Our shitty 2% growth would be the envy of many other developed nations.

Okay, let's quibble. When someone engages in political speech, as opposed to a scientific explanation or a philosophical discourse, it isn't held to the same standards of accuracy and proof. I accept that. But I would think that you could accept that such claims invite further scrutiny. If a politician wishes to avoid risk of looking inaccurate or dishonest after having been fact-checked he either needs to provide a hell of a lot more context in which to frame his assertions or else he needs to restrict himself to making more generalized statements about his intentions and beliefs. It's good to dispute "facts" because it focuses attention on the veracity of the statements and, more importantly, on the setting in which they must be interpreted.

Let's all agree on one thing here. When a politician, and Trump is now a politician, opens their mouth, you should assume they are lying. Every single one. No exceptions.

Now, with that understanding, how much of a lie varies. Sometimes it's lies you like, sometimes it's not. I like Trump's lies more than I like any single person from the lefts lies.

Do you agree with that or not?
0 Replies

Lash

Trump broke the Dow. It soared to an all-time high this morning. What do you make of that?

Approval of his speech: 76%

Seems like only hard core Hillary-ites panned him.
thack45

Wed 1 Mar, 2017 10:42 am
@Olivier5,
Praise Allah!
Debra Law

Wed 1 Mar, 2017 10:43 am
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

The issue was that he used it for every single speech. Without it his "uh"s became distracting. It appeared that he was incapable of giving a speech without it.

Obama's allegedly distracting "uh" vs. Trump's long-winded convoluted word salads that reporters throughout the world find nearly impossible to translate ....

which of the two is more egregious?

McGentrix

Wed 1 Mar, 2017 10:45 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Quote:
Anyone who calls for the assassination of an American president because they disagree with his ideology is a piece of human garbage

That's not the reason though, because Trump has no ideology to speak of. No, I just think he is the enemy of the American people (and of mankind as well, for good measure), and as such he should be disposed of. I don't really care about the means, e.g. if you guys just impeach him that's fine too.

I do not understand why you foreigners care so much about our President. What is trump going to do that could upset your 15 hour work weeks and finding a safe path through the rioting Muslims in France?

I mean France is safe from Radical Islamic Terrorism, right? You guys already allow anyone through your borders and have no problems with crime. I mean it might be the roving gangs of soldiers walking through Paris at night with their machine guns keeping the squirrel population at bay that give the impression that squirrels are your largest problems.

Your irrational fear of Trump is bewildering.
McGentrix

Wed 1 Mar, 2017 10:46 am
@Debra Law,
Debra Law wrote:

McGentrix wrote:

The issue was that he used it for every single speech. Without it his "uh"s became distracting. It appeared that he was incapable of giving a speech without it.

Obama's allegedly distracting "uh" vs. Trump's long-winded convoluted word salads that reporters throughout the world find nearly impossible to translate ....

which of the two is more egregious?

He already had it at a 7th grade level. How much lower must he go for you to understand what he's saying?
Olivier5

Wed 1 Mar, 2017 10:48 am
@thack45,
And give Yahweh some pleasant smell of burning flesh, so he can get the most high.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Wed 1 Mar, 2017 10:49 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Blatham provides as much witty personal content as he does post from the press.
However, nobody here writes like ELmore Leonard. Many try to sound like faculty, others try to sound like Delta blacks, and others just try to vent.

You and blatham sound pretty much the same, with the exception that you hqve almost as many typos as I.

I really think blatham is about as close to a professional newswriter as we have.Most of the Trumpies dont like him cause hes good at his craft. (Obviously hes gotten you pissed)
WHY wont Trump go to the correspondents dinner??

A long time ago Elmore Leonard spent a week at sea with me on my ship very early in my tour. We were operating in an exercise near the Marinas at the time. He was invited at the suggestion of a a friend & cousin from Detroit (where I grew up). It turns out Elmore was also from Detroit, hence the connection (I guess). In any event I had (stupidly) then never heard of him, but was delighted to discover what an intriguing guy he was. A bit mousy in appearance, he was full of wry commentary, ironic humor and an remarkable ability to colorfully describe and characterize a variety of situations, peope and events. The group of guests also included a very cranky Federal Judge whose name I have forgotten My cousin, a couple of friends and Leonard. Navy rules then permitted wine in my mess at sea only with the presence of "important guests" and my standards for "importance" were appropriately pragmatic and flexible. Anyway we had some memorable dinner conversations.

I agree about Blatham. He is witty, well spoken and adroit. I suspect we both share an affection for our own prose. I do not agree with his political outlook, and I would not comment as intrusively about his country as he does about mine. I believe there is an issue of discretion and good manners there. I had a similar problem with unctious assholes from the Royal Navy, from whom I took no **** at all. Perhaps it's a result of my Irish upbringing .

If I was Trump I wouldn't attend the correspondents dinner either. Why give them the importance or serve their need for attention?
0 Replies

layman

Wed 1 Mar, 2017 10:50 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

However, nobody here writes like ELmore Leonard.

I aint got no clue who that is, Farmer, but I'm sure he aint no Chuck Bukowski.

For the record, I have authored over a dozen widely-sold publications. I didn't draw the pictures, but I wrote the dialogue for those popular 8-page bibles.

A sample of my widely-admired style:

Panel 1: Woman: Hey, Big Boy, could ya give a lady a hand?

Panel 2; Man: You don't need a hand, Lady, what you need is THIS!

If you want to read the rest of this thrilling tale, you're gunna hafta buy the book.
0 Replies

layman

Wed 1 Mar, 2017 11:05 am
I'm thinking of changing professions after hearing this tune. Instead of being an unemployed panhandler, I think I might just become an auto mechanic, ya know?

0 Replies

Olivier5

Wed 1 Mar, 2017 11:05 am
@McGentrix,
I think it's perfectly rational to be concerned by this guy. It would IMO be irrational to have no concern at all, when Trump is totally unpredictale, behaves as a bad tempered brat whenever he's got a chance, treats the press as the enemy of the people, and makes buddy-body with Putin. Your country has more weaponry than the rest of the world combined, so when you play with fascism, the rest of the world gets understandably nervous.

Then there is climate change. This guy rolled back all the progress achieved during Obama, making sure my and your grand kids will live on a pretty hellish planet.

Quote:
France is safe from Radical Islamic Terrorism, right?

We haven't been hit as hard as the US yet, and statistically speaking the risk is infinitesimal but not equal to zero. But rest assured that we doing what we can to identify and stop these threats.
layman

Wed 1 Mar, 2017 11:10 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

. But rest assured that we doing what we can to identify and stop these threats.

Naw, ya aint. You need to elect Marine Le Pen for that to happen. Knowing the Frogs, though, they would prefer Obama. Let the trucks roll!
0 Replies

McGentrix

Wed 1 Mar, 2017 11:17 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

I think it's perfectly rational to be concerned by this guy. It would IMO be irrational to have no concern at all, when Trump is totally unpredictale, behaves as a bad tempered brat whenever he's got a chance, treats the press as the enemy of the people, and makes buddy-body with Putin. Your country has more weaponry than the rest of the world combined, so when you play with fascism, the rest of the world gets understandably nervous.

Then there is climate change. This guy rolled back all the progress achieved during Obama, making sure my and your grand kids will live on a pretty hellish planet.

Quote:
France is safe from Radical Islamic Terrorism, right?

We haven't been hit as hard as the US yet, and statistically speaking the risk is infinitesimal but not equal to zero. But rest assured that we doing what we can to identify and stop these threats.

So what are you thinking here, worse case scenario? Trump and Putin get together and split Europe up between them like Germany was? Maybe go back to the cold war borders and the Iron Curtain? Maybe split China as well? Maybe Trump gets in a bad mood and decides France isn't needed anymore and nukes France? Or maybe it's an invasion you envision? Another Normandy style landing?

What is it that you actually fear aside from the talking points you've repeated here?

And climate change, what progress has been rolled back? Do you see big ol' plumes of black tar being belched out by factory after factory burning coal for heat while the Freon leaking pipes keep the factories cool? Then them spewing waste sludge directly into the Atlantic so it can float over and then invade France?

Can you actually articulate something Trump can/will or has done that actually effects you?
hightor

Wed 1 Mar, 2017 11:37 am
@Lash,
Quote:
Trump broke the Dow. It soared to an all-time high this morning. What do you make of that?

The Dow is not the economy. And the Federal Reserve probably has more to do with this rally than Trump.
Quote:
Approval of his speech: 76%

He read it very well. Analyze it more deeply and you might wonder when he'll get around to the specifics. Don't confuse a single performance with actual policy. It may take months for policies to be made into legislation and years to assess how successful they are.
Quote:
Seems like only hard core Hillary-ites panned him.

Big surprise there — it's possible, based on the fact that she got 3 million more votes than he did, that some hard core Hillary voters actually did give his speech the thumbs up, being as it was the first speech which wasn't totally directed at his base.