monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

blatham

Tue 28 Feb, 2017 06:28 pm
@cicerone imposter,
In this case, he and his people have no other option than to suggest (or perhaps insist as time goes on) that such incidents of racism, anti-Muslim violence and anti-Semitism are false flag operations. To open any door to the possibility that the rhetoric he has previously used to capture a racist and bigoted base or that Bannon has done something quite similar with Breitbart is not a narrative they want to see out and about.
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 28 Feb, 2017 06:29 pm
Some good news.
Quote:
The $64,000 question for Democrats seeking to fight back against Donald Trump and a Republican Congress between now and the 2020 elections is whether their recent problems in turning out their voters, especially in nonpresidential contests, can be changed by the energy of a burgeoning anti-Trump resistance.

The first real answer to that question may have occurred this weekend in a special state-senate election in the “First State,” Delaware. And though it would be unwise to assume it to set a reliable pattern, in this one case Democrats passed the test.

The contest was over a seat in a state-senate chamber that was otherwise tied 10–10. It was vacated by Democrat Bethany Hall-Long, who was elected Lieutenant Governor of Delaware last November. Republicans ran as their candidate John Merino, who lost the district by just two points in 2014. Given the exceptionally low turnout typically drawn by special elections, the GOP had every reason to expect a win and thus control of the Delaware Senate for the first time since 1972.

But instead Democrat Stephanie Hansen won the seat by a landslide 58–42 margin. Not coincidentally, over a third of registered voters in the district turned out, which is very good for a special election in midwinter (the weather on Election Day was unseasonably mild, but also included an unseasonably disruptive thunderstorm).
NYMag
0 Replies

McGentrix

Tue 28 Feb, 2017 06:38 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:
President Donald Trump’s new national security adviser, Lt. Gen. H.R. McMaster, advised him in a closed-door meeting last week to stop using a phrase that was a frequent refrain during the campaign: “radical Islamic terrorism.”

I'm going to go ahead and call bullshit on that. I mean unless Politico has a bug in the White House they have no idea what is going on in a closed door meeting. That's just inflammatory bullshit "reporting".

And people wonder why it's called fake news.
ossobucotemp

Tue 28 Feb, 2017 06:38 pm
@izzythepush,
I'm not arguing.

This reminds me of some lovely places in Italy where plants of varying kinds, like orange trees, were stored for wintertime, thus in a l'orangerie.
Now there's an idea.

0 Replies

blatham

Tue 28 Feb, 2017 06:50 pm
@McGentrix,
Call it whatever you want. The same has been reported by the Times. And there's a lot of earlier reporting on McMaster urging the same thing to the NSC.

I think you don't understand how reporting works. And I also think you haven't yet comprehended how this particular administration leaks in a manner we've never seen before. There are reasons Spicer grabbed the phones of White House staffers to check those phones to see who staff was communicating with.
blatham

Tue 28 Feb, 2017 06:53 pm
I highly recommend this piece by Ezra Klein on how and why Trump is not taking the very advice he (or his ghostwriter) put in The Art of the Deal.
Quote:
In The Art of the Deal, Donald Trump writes, “You can’t con people, at least not for long. You can create excitement, you can do wonderful promotion and get all kinds of press, and you can throw in a little hyperbole. But if you don’t deliver the goods, people will catch on.”

Trump is having trouble delivering the goods. At this point in his presidency, Barack Obama had far more nominees both named and confirmed, and he had passed the stimulus bill, the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act, and a massive expansion of the Children’s Health Insurance Program. As of today, Trump hasn’t signed any major legislation, and none seems close to his desk — in fact, Republicans and Democrats both tell me they’re beginning to doubt that Obamacare gets replaced or a major tax reform bill gets passed at all.

The reason the future looks bleak for Trump’s top priorities is that he seems to be doing everything he can to alienate the partners he needs — particularly Democrats, whose cooperation he needs in the Senate. His playbook has been more Breitbart than Art of the Deal.
Vox - lots more and it's very good
oralloy

Tue 28 Feb, 2017 07:29 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
I highly recommend this piece by

"Look everyone! I think what the smart people think! Look! Look!"

Quote:
Trump is having trouble delivering the goods. At this point in his presidency, Barack Obama had far more nominees both named and confirmed,

Time to repeal all Senate rules that the Democrats abuse to block Trump's nominees.

Quote:
As of today, Trump hasn’t signed any major legislation, and none seems close to his desk

America will be happy when Trump signs the repeal of Obama's executive order to eradicate the Second Amendment.

Quote:
The reason the future looks bleak for Trump’s top priorities is that he seems to be doing everything he can to alienate the partners he needs — particularly Democrats, whose cooperation he needs in the Senate.

The Democrats carry the seeds of their own hate. Trump is not responsible.

And he doesn't need them. Easy enough to go around them. Just abolish any Senate rule that the Democrats abuse to hold up Trump's agenda.
0 Replies

thack45

Tue 28 Feb, 2017 07:29 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
In The Art of the Deal, Donald Trump writes, “You can’t con people, at least not for long. You can create excitement, you can do wonderful promotion and get all kinds of press, and you can throw in a little hyperbole. But if you don’t deliver the goods, people will catch on.”

That being the case, maybe he could drop the paranoid dictatorship routine – with full confidence that the liar liar pants on fire media will be found out, and try to find it in himself to give a **** about the people he panders to – and those that he doesn't.

Hey Donald, you're a 90 year old geriatric. Time to grow up and start acting like it. Turn off the tv and computer, put down the phone, and get some **** done.
cicerone imposter

Tue 28 Feb, 2017 07:33 pm
@thack45,
What's worse is his paranoia, and spreading the fraud that the media is the people's enemy.
McGentrix

Tue 28 Feb, 2017 08:25 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Call it whatever you want. The same has been reported by the Times. And there's a lot of earlier reporting on McMaster urging the same thing to the NSC.

I think you don't understand how reporting works. And I also think you haven't yet comprehended how this particular administration leaks in a manner we've never seen before. There are reasons Spicer grabbed the phones of White House staffers to check those phones to see who staff was communicating with.

9:24pm... "Radical Islamic Terrorism"
oralloy

Tue 28 Feb, 2017 08:28 pm

Now this is interesting.

An assault rifle chambered in .17 Winchester Super Magnum:
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/01/foghorn/first-ever-functional-gas-operated-rimfire-ar-15-franklin-armory/

Cheap high-volume shooting without having to reload.

I imagine that those high velocity rounds might do some damage to two-legged varmints as well.

.17 Winchester Super Magnum:
http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/gun-shots/2013/01/worlds-fastest-rimfire
0 Replies

oralloy

Tue 28 Feb, 2017 09:22 pm
@thack45,
thack45 wrote:
Hey Donald, you're a 90 year old geriatric. Time to grow up and start acting like it. Turn off the tv and computer, put down the phone, and get some **** done.

Trump is getting a lot done. Just today he revoked Obama's executive order that tried to eviscerate the Second Amendment.

http://www.nraila.org/articles/20170228/trump-signs-bill-protecting-due-process-rights-of-ssa-recipients

America is already a freer place because of Trump's actions.
cicerone imposter

Tue 28 Feb, 2017 09:47 pm
@oralloy,
You're a one horse pony; boring. You're the lone horse that ran the same track a dozen times.
oralloy

Tue 28 Feb, 2017 09:54 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:
You're a one horse pony; boring.

That's a curious saying.

Is a pony more interesting if it includes more than one horse?

Anyway, today is a day for celebration. Trump has revoked Obama's executive order that would have eviscerated the Second Amendment.

Happy Freedom Day everyone!
madamyes1999

Tue 28 Feb, 2017 09:55 pm
@blatham,
Just watched Pres. Trump's address to Congress. Kinda boring. Same old same old. I didnt vote for the guy and I don't have much confidence in him, but I love my country so I pray that he will get it together and do some good things for the people and the world at large. Anybody else out there watch the address?
oralloy

Tue 28 Feb, 2017 09:59 pm
@madamyes1999,
madamyes1999 wrote:
Anybody else out there watch the address?

I had it on in the background but was mostly surfing the web looking at guns.
roger

Tue 28 Feb, 2017 10:04 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

cicerone imposter wrote:
You're a one horse pony; boring.

That's a curious saying.

Is a pony more interesting if it includes more than one horse?

Anyway, today is a day for celebration. Trump has revoked Obama's executive order that would have eviscerated the Second Amendment.

Happy Freedom Day everyone!

I think he meant 'One Trick Pony'.
0 Replies

giujohn

Tue 28 Feb, 2017 10:05 pm
He hit it Outta the park...If I were a lefty I woulda wanted Outta there quick
madamyes1999

Tue 28 Feb, 2017 10:11 pm
@oralloy,
I was a bit preoccupied myself, didn't give speech my full attention. But 1 thing that struck me was when Pres. said he was the leader of America and not the world. I think America IS the leader of the free world, whether we want to be or not. We're the country other nations look to as a model and example. We set the standard. Other nations follow our lead. So I don't think its a good thing that the Pres. is walking away from the tradition of us being the 'Go To' nation for leadership and support of freedom n democracy. If we step back, nations like China, Russia and Germany will be competing to become the new preeminent world power. Nature abhors a vacuum.
0 Replies

giujohn

Tue 28 Feb, 2017 10:12 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

What's worse is his paranoia, and spreading the fraud that the media is the people's enemy.

Now if you were in the MSM we'd have to say you're an enemy of the 63 million people who voted for our illustrious President for all the poison you spew.