monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

giujohn

Tue 28 Feb, 2017 02:18 pm
Prediction:

Tonight a large contingent of Democrats will stage a silent demonstration against the President of the United States.

These cowardly cry babies, snowflakes all, will in all likelihood pull some type of crap like getting up an walking out.

I for one encourage them to do so. Then once and for all the American public along with the lying mainstream media we'll see just how irrelevant the Democratic party has become.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Tue 28 Feb, 2017 02:33 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I don't think I remember any narcissists in my lifetime of knowing real people personally; I'll have a look-see in my memory, but no one is presently standing out. Call me lucky!

I don't know all the clinical details for narcissism, haven't looked them up lately. I'm no one to diagnose in any case, but I do notice his behaviors. I see Farmerman's take re adhd as well possible; I do see the rather limited vocabulary floatings reported to be in tweets; I've no idea if that relates to adhd, except as a maybe (one of my cousins was an expert in all that). I see the reluctance to read, and thereby think, as, so help me, amazing.

I see the con type of behavior, however that grew and flourished, maybe family background (but we all have family background or if not family, some caretaker(s) as children).

I think of him as stupid, but that's not right, as he is fairly wily.

All of this is mysterious conjecture, but the real mysterious part is why did this guy get to be president.
I think I can connect that with some of nimh's recent posts.
saab

Tue 28 Feb, 2017 02:56 pm
@ossobucotemp,
A Swedish journalist wrote an article about Trump, in which she also called him ADHD. She was not allowed to publish this article as it might hurt families who have an ADHD child.
He e you can read about narcissism.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcissism
It fits
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Tue 28 Feb, 2017 03:09 pm
@ossobucotemp,
I've met my share of people from around the world from my travels. I don't remember meeting any narcissist. I don't personally know Trump, but he fits the definition. When anyone plasters their name on most things they own, it's beyond normal. He also admires himself for his wealth and smarts.
I've met some accomplished people: A rocket scientist, several college professors that I can call friend, several successful business men and women, and a couple of doctors who lives in Singapore and Tanzania.

I like what I last heard on Trump's budget; "dead on arrival."
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 28 Feb, 2017 04:56 pm
@revelette1,
Quote:
The 3 investigations into Trump and Russia are all hopelessly compromised

Yes, they are. We have to expect this re Russia and everything else. So long as they can get away with covering up or limiting investigations, that's what they'll do. It's partisanship above all else for these people in their modern form.

Any hope lies in three other areas: the press digging in and reporting, citizens making a very big and consistent ruckus, and ethical people working in the system leaking data. It is no coincidence that Trump and those supporting him target for denigration exactly these three areas and the people working in them.
0 Replies

nimh

Tue 28 Feb, 2017 05:04 pm
@layman,
Cause one A2K member = "the cheese-eaters".

Olivier, did you know you spoke for all of us now?
McGentrix

Tue 28 Feb, 2017 05:07 pm
@nimh,
nimh wrote:

Cause one A2K member = "the cheese-eaters".

Olivier, did you know you spoke for all of us now?

You guys really do need a spokesman.
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 28 Feb, 2017 05:27 pm
Quote:
The congressional Republican hardliners who have revolted against proposals floated in a leaked draft of a GOP Obamacare replacement plan now have the support of two outside conservative groups, Club for Growth and FreedomWorks
TPM
Freedom Works is an operation set up by the Koch brothers. Club For Growth is almost entirely devoted to cutting taxes. Both are drown-the-government extremists.

As before when Boehnert was House leader, these congressional radicals are going to continue to be a very serious problem to Ryan and to the administration. Boehner, who can now speak more honestly, predicted the other day
Quote:
They'll fix Obamacare. I shouldn't have called it repeal and replace because that's not what's going to happen. They're basically going to fix the flaws and put a more conservative box around it.

Let's note first of all that what he means by "put a more conservative box around it" is to essentially keep Obamacare but market it as a GOP creation. And we saw the start of this yesterday with Marsha Blackburn's lie about two key Obamacare elements being "Republican provisions". Watch this as there'll be much more of the same.

But the extremists are going to continue to fight any move by Congress to do what Boehner suggests. The chaos that these guys caused over the last four years or so will now be joined with the chaos of Trump's crowd. A recipe for disaster.
0 Replies

oralloy

Tue 28 Feb, 2017 05:30 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
Apparently Sprey likes to hear himself talk. half of what he sqid was "Irrelevant but brilliant", The other half was "Just Bullshit"

http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/pierre-spreys-anti-f-35-diatribe-is-half-brilliant-and-1592445665

Not quite. That article says that half of what he says is "brilliant and totally relevant" and half is "just bullshit".

And unfortunately Sprey is entirely correct regarding the F-35 having no air-superiority capability whatsoever.

The argument that the F-35 doesn't need maneuverability because its advanced sensors can secure a weapons lock in any direction sounds nice. But unfortunately the F-35 can't do that. All of its sensors are optimized for ground targeting.

Further, the F-35 in an air-superiority role would have to carry all of its Sidewinder missiles externally, which would reduce its stealth capability to zero.

The Air Force does have a good air superiority fighter: the F-22. Unfortunately they don't have nearly enough F-22s to matter. We need to prosecute the people who canceled the F-22 program for treason and resume production immediately. The US Navy should look into buying Dassault Rafales from France.

As for whether Sprey is right about the F-35 in the role of close air support, let's see how the F-35 does against the A-10 in the coming tests.
0 Replies

oralloy

Tue 28 Feb, 2017 05:31 pm
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:
That seems to be the opinion more or less of every competent person who has taken any sort of a look at the F35 program.

The problem is people are expecting it to fulfill roles that it just can't do.

It makes a good replacement for the F-117. It makes a good replacement for the Harrier jump jet. It makes a good replacement for ground-attack-configured F-16s.

It makes a mediocre replacement for the A-10.

It makes a terrible replacement for the F-15C. For that we need F-22s.

You just can't have one plane design be good at every single role.
InfraBlue

Tue 28 Feb, 2017 05:32 pm
@layman,
layman wrote:

Kinda funny that the cheese-eaters just can't stand to see low population states in the U.S. get a slightly disproportionate voting influence in the electoral college, but are thrilled to give much greater power to tiny-ass third-world totalitarian commie shitholes from all around the globe, eh?

This is a non-sequitur.
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 28 Feb, 2017 05:39 pm
Quote:
President Donald Trump’s new national security adviser, Lt. Gen. H.R. McMaster, advised him in a closed-door meeting last week to stop using a phrase that was a frequent refrain during the campaign: “radical Islamic terrorism.”

But the phrase will be in the president’s speech to a joint session of Congress on Tuesday night, according to a senior White House aide—even though McMaster reviewed drafts and his staff pressed the president's chief speechwriter and senior policy adviser, Stephen Miller, not to use it.
Politico
Here's another example of where Republicans have boxed themselves in by prior rhetoric (as with the ACA - see post above). Even if Trump and crowd concluded that McMaster has a much better handle on this than they do (very unlikely), they will have a very tough time following his lead because people like Coulter and Limbaugh will scream and the base's zest for red meat torn from Muslim's filthy bodies aren't likely to permit it.
izzythepush

Tue 28 Feb, 2017 05:39 pm
@ossobucotemp,
He's not even trying to put a spin on things, he's just gone with total bollocks from day one, starting with the crowd at his inauguration. He seems to have rejected reality altogether and is acting like the head of state in some weird paranoid orangey parallel universe. I think he's trying to turn this World into that one, because it's the only way he can function.
Debra Law

Tue 28 Feb, 2017 05:44 pm
Sexist, ignorant, self-absorbed, troglodyte Trump. He's an embarrassment.

Quote:
WASHINGTON ― President Donald Trump hosted the nation’s governors at the White House on Sunday night and welcomed them and their families ― well, the married male governors with daughters, anyway.

“He welcomed all the governors, their wives and their daughters last night,” Oregon Gov. Kate Brown (D) told The Huffington Post on Monday. “It was weird.”

Brown, one of four female governors in the U.S., took the slight in stride.
“It was just ― I’ve been there before,” she said. “I think people forget that there are female governors in the world.”

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/trump-welcomes-governors-wives_us_58b58c4ae4b0a8a9b7863ce6?

0 Replies

blatham

Tue 28 Feb, 2017 05:54 pm
If you want a good window into how these guys operate, this is one.
Quote:
The White House’s Politico slime job, from start to finish
WP
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 28 Feb, 2017 05:58 pm
Incompetent fascism and trip-on-their-shoelaces alpha males
Quote:
I'm on record saying I believe President Donald Trump is a threat to democracy. The waves of antisemitism crashing around the nation are sufficient evidence, as are the president's repeated attacks on the press, the courts and democratic norms.

While we should be vigilant, I've been thinking: Are we seeing fascism where there is first plain ordinary incompetence? This may be a moot distinction since one thing can beget another, but in terms of a communication strategy, it's important to understand what's going on. This White House talks a good game. It has crowed about the return of "alpha males." But when it matters, it chokes.

More than exposing Trump for his white nationalist sympathies, the best way forward may be stressing what's emphatically evident: Trump can't govern.
US News

0 Replies

blatham

Tue 28 Feb, 2017 06:07 pm
Speaking to a group of states' attorneys this morning, Trump apparently suggested that the recent spate of attacks/threats against Jews might actually be some form of covert operations to make him look bad. buzzfeed
Winning the hearts and minds of Jews around the world.
ossobucotemp

Tue 28 Feb, 2017 06:12 pm
@nimh,
Fine with me.

Let me gallop along and guess he doesn't want to be king of the universe. Talk about serious agravation.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Tue 28 Feb, 2017 06:22 pm
@blatham,
Trump believes everything that happens in this world is because of him.
He sees so many things in his alternate universe, it makes for a dangerous CIC.
thack45

Tue 28 Feb, 2017 06:24 pm
Gee golly corn cobs and freedom fries. What ain't no good bout eatin cheese anyhow, huh?
0 Replies