monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

farmerman

Fri 9 Dec, 2016 05:45 am
@blatham,
Pa has, unser the previous governor, already stripped local governments from protecting their own interests from frackers.
Pa has always been the "test case" for resource exploiting. We have the 2nd most miles of streams and rivers of any state in the US except Alaska and weve had 1/3 of them totally turned lifeless by coal mining. With the right to mine and farm laws in our state, rural communities are helpless to mount cases against polluters.

We are, actually, more like China than the USA we thought we lived in.
blatham

Fri 9 Dec, 2016 05:51 am
The Economist has a must-read piece on Breitbart and Bannon's coming move into Europe.
Quote:
The push deeper into Europe may seem an oddly international approach for a brand that scorns the ideals of a global order. Yet Breitbart has a clear operational model: moving into markets where it can win an audience by appealing to anti-globalisation and anti-immigrant sentiment and by aligning itself with an existing opposition party. A connection to a political entity lends it credibility and also allows Breitbart to draw fragmented online communities together into an organised platform, says Angelo Carusone of Media Matters for America, which monitors conservative media in Washington, DC.

In Britain, where it launched in 2014, Breitbart loudly promoted the campaign of the UK Independence Party (UKIP) to leave the European Union. The Leave team used its content, and UKIP’s Nigel Farage became a columnist. Raheem Kassam, an editor on the site, went to work as Mr Farage’s aide. He has since returned and is leading Breitbart’s push to expand further.

Conditions are similarly ripe in France and Germany, media observers say. Elections are due in both countries next year and far-right candidates—Marine Le Pen of the National Front in France and Frauke Petry of Alternative for Germany—hope to do well. Breitbart will cheer on their respective parties.
white men can't dance but do fascism quite well

This isn't just about making money though that sure as hell is part of the game. It's about trying to remake the west a haven or fortress for white nationalism/supremacy. It is most fundamentally that us versus them framing which so commonly manifests itself in many Trump supporters and in the conservative media of the US (and elsewhere).
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 9 Dec, 2016 05:52 am
@farmerman,
Yes. Here in Canada, we've also been watching these dynamics play out for more than two decades.

ps... Up here there's a "think tank" named The Fraser Institute. It's more accurately understood however as an industry/corporate front group, funded by big corporations and with ties to other such entities south of the border. They've been quite effective in getting press releases into mainstream media for decades. They are interwoven with the Koch crowd. And they are big supporters of that aspect of international trade regimes such as we've just been talking about.

One benefit such entities enjoy is high level marketing expertise and the big money to hire on such firms. They can mount very broad and effective disinformation campaigns and they do. One of the more obvious examples is the PR initiative utilized by the tobacco industry to foster doubt in the minds of citizens re health hazards of smoking. That precise technique was adopted by energy industries re global warming.
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 9 Dec, 2016 06:10 am
Quote:
Republicans ready to launch wide-ranging probe of Russia, despite Trump’s stance
big fat maybe
This will be something to keep our attention on. Will such investigations actually be permitted? At what sort of range and depth? What will be the disparity between what is said to be the case and what is actually the case (a lot of these folks lie through their teeth so words can't be trusted).
Frugal1

Fri 9 Dec, 2016 06:29 am
I see the lefties have all received their talking points...

BTW, it's Hillary that represents whatever white supremacist exist in America, groups like that are always left-wing democrats here.
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 9 Dec, 2016 06:39 am
From Michael Gerson
Quote:
What are we seeing in Donald Trump’s presidential transition so far? The emerging outlines of a bipolar presidency.

I’m not attempting a clinical diagnosis here. Maybe a better description is a Jekyll and Hyde administration. The president-elect is alternately making good choices (such as retired Marine Gen. James N. Mattis as defense secretary) and horrible ones (Ben Carson at Housing and Urban Development); sounding themes of national reconciliation and sounding crazed on Twitter; attempting magnanimity (opposing prosecution for his vanquished opponent, Hillary Clinton) and rubbing it in (attacking presidential rival Evan McMullin and basking once again in chants of “Lock her up!”).

Trump’s personnel choices seem designed to either reward personal loyalty or embody a certain perception of competence — the competence of generals who know how to give orders and of billionaires who know how to make money. Failed politicians, in this view, need to be schooled. Never mind that the habits of command are not immediately transferrable to some of the main tasks in a democracy — persuasion, compromise and public policy innovation.

...Republicans are now finding strategic brilliance in this attempt to keep the whole world off balance. But what happens when President Trump can truly throw the whole world off balance?
another elitist rino who hates America

I've bolded that last bit because it points to something very interesting in how a lot of conservatives have come to think about the world - It's not us. Nor is it equal to us. And if it acts in some manner contrary to what we wish and believe then it ought to be punished. Thus Rumsfeld's "Old Europe" phrase. Thus "freedom fries", etc.

That stuff is what Gerson is speaking to in the final sentences I've bolded. Where conservatives (or others) have this mindset, Trump acting to throw the world off balance is a good thing, a reason for nationalist pride. It's yelling out, "Poke those internationalists in the eye!" just like they yell out, "Lock her up!" Civic norms, legal norms, social norms, diplomatic norms - Blow them to hell, Donald. We're with you all the way. Make America great again.

This is insanity and it's really dangerous and it's in ascendance right now.
revelette1

Fri 9 Dec, 2016 07:05 am
@blatham,
I actually think they will. I just read that this morning myself. Even the guy who might get picked as Secretary of State is planning new probes after the new year. But then again there seems to be undercurrents of holding back by some in the senate; which would be irresponsible and stupid.
blatham

Fri 9 Dec, 2016 07:09 am
@revelette1,
It's incredibly important as a matter of national security and democracy so I sure hope they do. But we'll have to wait and try to see past all the noise that will attend. The behavior of Trump so far definitely does no inspire confidence and that isn't even to mention the ties of others in his circle to Putin's Russia or the increasingly kleptocratic shape of modern America.

Citizens and media might have to really push hard on this one.
blatham

Fri 9 Dec, 2016 07:14 am
and isn't this just swell as all get out
Quote:
For many French voters, François Fillon is more than a leading contender for president in next year’s elections: He is viewed as a crusader in the throes of a holy war.

When Fillon handily won both rounds of France’s conservative primaries last month, he campaigned mostly on a genteel conservatism of economic restructuring and strengthened national security. But in a country that firmly defines itself as “secular” in its constitution, Fillon’s unexpected victory represented an astonishing prospect: the political reawakening of Catholic France after decades of slumber.

As right-wing and populist leaders across Europe — such as Viktor Orban in Hungary and Marine Le Pen in France — increasingly turn toward Christian values, Fillon has ignited a wave of nostalgia for a nation of traditional families and quaint village churches.

..Fillon, the presidential nominee of the center-right party now known as the Republicans, has repeatedly pledged to defend “family values” — which has often translated into staunch opposition to same-sex marriage and, lately, to adoption by same-sex parents. When the fervent Roman Catholic responds to terrorist violence, he often does so in the lofty language of religious rapture. The war against the Islamic State, he wrote in his recent book, is “a battle of the end times,” sounded with “trumpets of the apocalypse.”.
humans may well be too damned stupid to survive
revelette1

Fri 9 Dec, 2016 07:15 am
@blatham,
I actually can't really predict how the republican congress is going to deal with Trump. I don't know if they are going to follow his lead or their own. I also don't know how Trump is going to deal with congress. I know Pence is more involved with congress, but I don't know Pence's views on Russia and cyber security, do you?
Frugal1

Fri 9 Dec, 2016 07:24 am
The liberal left is ramping up their 'fake news' efforts, expect the unexpected.
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 9 Dec, 2016 07:29 am
Off topic, sorry, but I just accidentally clicked on a link to Ha'aretz and found the paywall down. Not sure if change of policy there. I used to check the paper every day for years but stopped when the paywall went up. A couple of interesting stories: Netanyahu and his lawyer/close friend caught up in a bribery scandal re submarine contract and leaked documents from the last decade showing that Brit intel considered Israel "a true threat to regional security". We knew that last thing because, if you'll recall, when Bush first went to Blair to convince him to sign on to the Iraq invasion, Blair tried to convince the Bush people that the first thing which needed solving was the Palestinian problem because of how much that situation was causing hatred and was destabilizing the region. http://www.haaretz.com/
0 Replies

Frugal1

Fri 9 Dec, 2016 07:40 am
Notice how 'fake news' became a media fixation the minute Trump put a stake through the heart of Political Correctness.
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 9 Dec, 2016 07:41 am
@revelette1,
Quote:
I actually can't really predict how the republican congress is going to deal with Trump. I don't know if they are going to follow his lead or their own. I also don't know how Trump is going to deal with congress. I know Pence is more involved with congress, but I don't know Pence's views on Russia and cyber security, do you?

To final question, I don't. Though whether any sentences he might have uttered on this shouldn't be taken at face value anyway.

There are lots of unknowns re Trump and Congress. That is to say, unknowns how various details and issues will bounce around in that world. But my over-arching contention is that because of who this guy is (concerned with his social standing and reputation above all, along with a pathological need to bully others and to engender adulation as the alpha dog, plus being as lazy and irresponsible as that right wing portrait of the drugged out welfare queen) that Trump is not going to get into any serious contention with the power centers which helped get him to the top and which are necessary to his continued status. That's why the Koch operations are, for the most part, steamrolling through his transition appointments.

Where Trump will pick a fight if anywhere it will be if he feels he is being - or believes he is perceived as being - dissed by the GOP types around him or in Congress. Other than getting richer, that's clearly all he gives a **** about.
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 9 Dec, 2016 07:55 am
Note To Republicans/conservatives

I'm gratified to find you all here attending to my ongoing series of lectures on Donald Trump, movement conservatism, the Koch brothers and modern US politics. A goodly number of you attend every day and what more could a lecturer hope for?

Now, it is the case that I can actually see the responses only of two or three of you but I hope that doesn't discourage any from continued attendance.

I am a liberal, as you know. In fact, I'm so liberal that communists envy me. The plus in that, for you folks, is all will receive a passing grade (or at least a pink ribbon for participation) and none will have to repeat my course next semester. Though of course you can and I'm sure most will. Why? Because you've come to learn. here at my feet.
Frugal1

Fri 9 Dec, 2016 08:00 am
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CzPQdY0UUAUGWCi.jpg:large
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 9 Dec, 2016 08:21 am
One has to go way, way back to Abraham Lincoln to find another presidential figure who gave speeches with the intelligence, the humility and such a profound regard to the values that made America great as we see in Donald Trump.
Quote:
Donald Trump on Thursday night defended his decision to select several billionaires to serve in his administration, arguing that he wants successful people to be "negotiating" for the country.

"One newspaper criticized me: ‘Why can’t they have people of modest means?’” Trump said at a victory tour rally in Des Moines, Iowa. “Because I want people that made a fortune! Because now they’re negotiating with you, OK?”

"It’s no different than a great baseball player or a great golfer,” he added. “These people have given up fortunes of income in order to make a dollar a year, and they’re so proud to do it, and you watch, you watch what’s gonna happen. It’s gonna happen fast, too."
And for my inauguration, yes we will have a mock up of the Red Sea and I'll part it with my staff which Little Marco sure as hell couldn't do

Bank account totals are how Jesus measured the progress of souls towards him. So that part is covered. Still, even if he lifted this bit from Lincoln's speech at Cooper Union, it's still right, am I right?

And he's smack on like always with that golfer or baseball player because those guys could be an astronaut or an opera singer or go into an operating theater and fix up a buggered brain or a lillied liver as neat and quick as anything.

And when you want a negotiator negotiating for the little guy, then you reach out to find the guy that negotiated for Exxon because you just know, don't you, that his skills will work to your benefit.
blatham

Fri 9 Dec, 2016 08:33 am
Uh, yeah.
Quote:
Donald Trump’s pick to lead the Education Department, Betsy DeVos, has spent two decades successfully pushing "school choice" in her home state of Michigan — a policy that she and her husband vowed in 1999 would “fundamentally improve education.”

Except the track record in that state shows that it hasn’t.

Despite two decades of charter-school growth, the state’s overall academic progress has failed to keep pace with other states: Michigan ranks near the bottom for fourth- and eighth-grade math and fourth-grade reading on a nationally representative test, nicknamed the “Nation’s Report Card.” Notably, the state’s charter schools scored worse on that test than their traditional public-school counterparts, according to an analysis of federal data.
linnk hear (I lurned speling at pryvate Trump U

She and her husband built Amway, the fraudulent pyramid scheme that has screwed thousands of trusting suckers and her brother made millions (or more) building up the privatized army of Blackwater. And you were expecting academic achievement?
Frugal1

Fri 9 Dec, 2016 08:42 am
If Republicans really want to drain the swamp, here’s how to do it
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 9 Dec, 2016 08:49 am
What the hell. It's a new day. It's a new dawn. God is in Heaven smiling down beatifically upon Trumpiness and all is changed.
Quote:
“Sometimes you have to prime the pump,” Trump told Time Magazine, explaining why he wants a big infrastructure spending package — the sort of Keynesian economic spending policy that Tea Partyers regularly denounced as a dire threat to the republic throughout the Obama years.

...It should be noted that many Republicans did support a highway spending package at the end of last year. But now, Republicans are privately conceding that the underlying Keynesian principle that they may well accept under Trump is basically the same one many condemned under Obama — as a dire threat to transform the country into something no longer recognizably American.
But Keynes was a gay man!
0 Replies