monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

cicerone imposter

Thu 8 Dec, 2016 07:29 pm
@MontereyJack,
Thank you, MJ, for that fact filled post. Some people just don't understand how good we have it in the US. When we look at the macroeconomics compared to the US, it's somewhat of a miracle. So many speak from ignorance when all the evidence is in front of everybody's eyes.
wmwcjr

Thu 8 Dec, 2016 07:30 pm
@Frugal1,
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CzHh39nUkAA5Y1u.jpg
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Thu 8 Dec, 2016 07:37 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Our economy grew by 3.2% last quarter. Europe grew at .5% and dropping.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Thu 8 Dec, 2016 08:18 pm
@blatham,
As well as being underwater in the polls with respect to his cabinet picks and how he's doing with the trnsition, all at historic lows. He's not even president yet, and already he's blown his honeymoon.
MontereyJack

Thu 8 Dec, 2016 08:19 pm
@Frugal1,
Nope. All correct.
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 8 Dec, 2016 08:30 pm
@MontereyJack,
It's going to be a very very weird four years.
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 8 Dec, 2016 09:13 pm
One of the brightest American historians around now is Rick Perlstein. You should each order up one of his books. They aren't small but we've got big minds so that's no problem.

If you want to hear him in discussion, go to the link below and start at about 15 minutes in. https://soundcloud.com/majorityreport
0 Replies

glitterbag

Thu 8 Dec, 2016 09:21 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

glitterbag wrote:

Okay, let me see if I can put this in words that even you can understand. You win, you are too dim to understand contracting. .....

I'm sorry, you guys are all experts.....and probably experts on presidential protection. If you guys don't care, I can't be bothered. Carry on dim wits.

What did you have for dinner? Having a bad day???

Clearly we have failed to live up to your expectations, and don't understand, as perhaps only you do, the nuances of bureaucratic aggrandisement and self inflation.

It seems to me the imperial trappings of our government have gotten a bit out of control and it is indeed time to come back a little closer to the earth I welcome Trump's decision in this mattrer.

Oh darn George, I missed your post. Don't worry about living up to my expectations, last time I checked you don't control anything that lessens the protection of an American President.

And as far as 'imperial trappings of our government' if you think that is a bad thing and can still say you welcome Trump's view' hahahahahaha ahahahahahahhahah, that's rich. Damn georgeob, at times I think you are just a pretentious stooge, but perhaps you are a clever comedian pointing out the absurdist direction of frustrated authoritarians. Either way, you are a big steaming pile of fascination. (Not really fascination in a positive way, more like a horrible accident on the beltway you just can't not look at)

But I am cheered you think that preening old con man can make great things happen for the US. I'm depending on you and the other happy Americans to keep Trump on track. And I honestly desperately hope that he will not rob the country blind, just because he can figure out a way to do it. We will see.
glitterbag

Thu 8 Dec, 2016 09:25 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

I said his motives were uninteresting and his behavior was tiresome.Try to get this stuff right.

Not much of a difference there George old boy, the fact remains you can't stop talking about him. Why do you think you do it?? On second thought, don't bother.......I already know what you will be tempted to say. (But I'm not saying you're tiresome, yet)
0 Replies

glitterbag

Thu 8 Dec, 2016 09:28 pm
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:

I know, it is changing him. He has become almost giddy.

It's a bunch of fun in a way, I thought only mean high school girls could be so unnecessarily bitchy. I often wonder what he imagines is happening to drive him to such levels.
0 Replies

i800gtplay

Thu 8 Dec, 2016 10:08 pm
@giujohn,
Thanks for your reply.

Trump has been found to repeatedly quote incorrect facts. Why, in your mind, is Hillary more duplicitous than Trump?

Another question getting more at the heart of my concern - why do you not care who is elected? You definitely do judging by your response. But why do these element of potential racism, manipulation of facts, and extreme nationalism not concern you? Or, do they concern you but just not as much as Hilary?

Best,
i800gtplay

Thu 8 Dec, 2016 10:12 pm
@layman,
Thanks, appreciate your reply.

Im not for a second trying to argue that Trump hasn't accomplished great things. He has been a very successful businessman. Even with the failures people point to - failure is inherent in risk-taking.

But you ignored the root of my question. What concerns me is the very base of his character as a person. The comments I mentioned, in addition to his common proclamation of statistics that are not true (which appear, at least to me, to be manipulative) concern me that 1. he does not represent the values this country should uphold 2. he is willing to lie to get what he wants through manipulation.

Id love for you to speak to these points.

Thanks,
glitterbag

Thu 8 Dec, 2016 11:28 pm
@giujohn,
giujohn wrote:

I'm sorry...I think you've already been designated a cheese eater. However if you'ld like me to consider you for grape eater I'll take it under advisement and get back to you with a decision...thanks for playing.

I forgot who first started calling a few 'cheese eaters', it might have been you. But since you repeat it here, do you even know what it means when you call someone a 'cheese eater'?
cicerone imposter

Thu 8 Dec, 2016 11:53 pm
@i800gtplay,
Contrary to common perception, Trump is not a good business man. He would be much richer now if he had invested his money into index funds rather than real estate. Don't forget, he inherited his money.

http://fortune.com/2015/08/20/donald-trump-index-funds/

His inherited wealth won him the election, because most people thought Trump was a smart business man.

He isn't.

His tariff idea proves he is ignorant about economics.
Debra Law

Fri 9 Dec, 2016 04:43 am
Seth Meyers: Stop Normalizing ‘Alt-Right,’ Call A Nazi A ‘Nazi’

Quote:
“Hey media, what are you doing?”

“Late Night” host Seth Meyers has had it with some media normalizing the so-called “alt-right.”

Meyers pointed out on his show Wednesday that the term was picked by followers of the white nationalist movement.

“If zombies wanted to be called ‘post-life brain foodies,’ we’d still call them ‘zombies.’ If it looks like a duck and talks like a duck, and steps like a goose, it’s a Nazi,” the comedian added.
blatham

Fri 9 Dec, 2016 05:15 am
@Debra Law,
Meyers is right. The white supremacist/nationalist contingent and its support from Bannon's enterprises and from Trump himself (and the refusal of many top level Republicans to decry this stuff) is very definitely not normal. This is the rise of something very ugly with the potential to get far more ugly.

And that is just one aspect of the Trump phenomenon and of the team he's putting in place which is not normal. That's why I started this thread.
0 Replies

giujohn

Fri 9 Dec, 2016 05:19 am
@i800gtplay,
All politicians lie. The difference is Hillary is an unindicted treasonous piece of ****. She was a public servant being paid on the public dime who violated the public Trust. When Donald Trump takes the oath of office and he violates the public Trust I'll call him out on it as I have done with Hillary.
giujohn

Fri 9 Dec, 2016 05:23 am
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

giujohn wrote:

I'm sorry...I think you've already been designated a cheese eater. However if you'ld like me to consider you for grape eater I'll take it under advisement and get back to you with a decision...thanks for playing.

I forgot who first started calling a few 'cheese eaters', it might have been you. But since you repeat it here, do you even know what it means when you call someone a 'cheese eater'?

WRONG...again. It was Layman. And yes I do.
0 Replies

giujohn

Fri 9 Dec, 2016 05:31 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Contrary to common perception, Trump is not a good business man. He would be much richer now if he had invested his money into index funds rather than real estate. Don't forget, he inherited his money.

http://fortune.com/2015/08/20/donald-trump-index-funds/

His inherited wealth won him the election, because most people thought Trump was a smart business man.

He isn't.

His tariff idea proves he is ignorant about economics.

You keep repeating the same tired hackneyed refrain. It all doesn't matter anymore he's not a businessman anymore...he is the president elect.

The only thing you're worried about is your retirement fund. Well I hope your not heavily invested in companies who are moving manufacturing to another county cause if so your fucked.
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 9 Dec, 2016 05:38 am
Quote:
President-elect Donald Trump’s Twitter attack this week on a union official, followed by his choice of a labor secretary who has criticized new worker protections, has rattled leaders of the American labor movement, who fear unions may be facing their gravest crisis in decades.
thugness
The big threat to unions isn't Trump other than in how he is facilitating the consolidation of the power of other entities and individuals who have been purposefully working to dis-empower unions for many decades.

Unions, like government, pose real constraints on large business interests which by their nature are driven to maximize profit. These entities, again by their nature, are amoral. The drive to reduce the effective power of government and unions is a consequence of that particular dynamic.

Thus one thing to continue watching now will be the disparity between Trump's rhetoric re trade agreements and the reality of what he and those around him now actually do. If, for example, energy interests in the US can forge or strengthen international agreements such that local governments are denied substantial means of legally challenging/curtailing the industry's activities (on frakking, say, or on pollution) they'll do so in a heartbeat.

Imagining Trump will stand steadfast against such powerful interests because he's more concerned about the welfare of some bunch of nobodies in Podunk is to be sucked in all the way to the bottom by a talented con man.