Sun 10 Jan, 2021 09:57 am
@hightor,
I dig it. I’m not arguing for Anarchy.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Sun 10 Jan, 2021 10:02 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
Parler isn't banned anywhere, but Amazon will remove Parler from its cloud hosting service today, Google, on Friday, dropped Parler from the Google Play Store as did Apple with Apple Store.
If you deny a forum internet access, you have effectively banned them.
Walter Hinteler

Sun 10 Jan, 2021 10:12 am
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:
Internet access isn't banned in this case - Parler's CEO said that Parler could be unavailable on the internet for up to a week until they're online again: "‘We will try our best to move to a new provider."
(CEO Maetze called it "shutoffs and suspensions".)
0 Replies

izzythepush

Sun 10 Jan, 2021 10:15 am
@Leadfoot,
Criminals do alright on the dark web, and these platforms aren’t illegal. It can be done, it won’t be long before they get set up again, their owner has already said it will take about a week to get back up.
0 Replies

engineer

Sun 10 Jan, 2021 10:16 am
@Leadfoot,
There is a difference between providing hosting service and providing internet access. Parlor could just set up their own servers if they want. Amazon is providing the servers and the structure for them, but Parlor doesn't have to rely on that. If you have a static ip address you can put up website in your home
hightor

Sun 10 Jan, 2021 10:19 am
@Leadfoot,
Quote:

Then it was stupid of the forum not to moderate its content when informed that failure to do so would result in its removal from the hosting platform.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Sun 10 Jan, 2021 11:02 am
@engineer,
I understand the technology, I think everyone understands what access means in this context.

I understand they will be back up eventually, we are discussing whether they ought to be allowed to.

I think everyone knows the impracticality of monitoring a large forum without relying on AI. Which is a joke. I know of a pix of a car that was banned for sexual content. It was a hot car though.
izzythepush

Sun 10 Jan, 2021 11:08 am
@Leadfoot,
Should private companies be allowed conditions of service is what you’re asking.
oralloy

Sun 10 Jan, 2021 01:00 pm
@revelette3,
revelette3 wrote:
Twitter apple and other such companies are private companies. They are not government companies. They are free to have their own rules and really can ban whoever they want to.

The government should break up Twitter and Facebook.
0 Replies

oralloy

Sun 10 Jan, 2021 01:01 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
Amazon is removing Nazi chat site Parler from it’s web hosting site.

Godwin's Law. Izzythepush loses another debate.
revelette3

Sun 10 Jan, 2021 01:01 pm
Another U.S Capitol Police Officer Has Died After Trump Supporters’ Riot

Quote:
U.S. Capitol Police on Sunday announced the death of one of its officers, bringing the number of deaths in the unit since Wednesday’s violent Capitol siege to two.

Officer Howard Liebengood, 51, died on Saturday, when he was off duty, the USCP said in a statement. He had worked with the department since 2005.

“Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family, friends, and colleagues,” the department said.

Multiple outlets reported that Liebengood died by suicide; those reports were backed by a social media post from another USCP officer. It is not yet clear whether Liebengood’s death is linked to Wednesday’s insurrection.

The USCP has been reeling since outgoing President Donald Trump encouraged his supporters to lay siege to the Capitol on Wednesday to disrupt the certification of Electoral College votes, which Trump lost.

Video captured during the siege shows some officers being overwhelmed by waves of rioters, many of whom were armed. Other officers appeared to put up little resistance, and some even posed for selfies with the insurrectionists.

One other Capitol Police officer, Brian Sicknick, died Thursday after rioters hit him in the head with a fire extinguisher during the siege. The FBI said it had deactivated two improvised explosive devices placed near the Capitol as rioters stormed Congress.

Capitol Police leadership has been widely condemned for the department’s lax response — and apparent occasional outright complicity — during the attack. The department’s Chief of Police Stephen Sund resigned Thursday after being denounced by the officers’ union, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, and a host of other officials.

“Without a change at the top, we may see more events unfold like those we saw on January 6th,” Gus Papathanasiou, the chairman of the Captiol Police union, said in a statement.

“There was a failure of leadership at the top of the Capitol Police,” said Pelosi, who noted on Thursday that Sund had not been in touch with congressional leaders to discuss the violence.

In an article published Saturday, BuzzFeed’s Emmanuel Felton quoted Black Capitol Police officers who were on the scene during the attack saying that Sund and USCP leadership deserted them during the siege.

0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Sun 10 Jan, 2021 01:20 pm
@oralloy,
Explain how Godlaw's Law causes one to lose a debate, especially as you were not involved in this particular discussion.

According to Godwin himself, he approves of comparing modern day alt-right figures to the Nazis.
https://gizmodo.com/godwin-of-godwins-law-by-all-means-compare-these-shi-1797807646

He later wrote an editorial where he says "Sometimes those comparisons are going to be appropriate, and on those occasions, Godwin's Law should function less as a conversation ender and more as a conversation starter."
https://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-oe-godwin-godwins-law-20180624-story.html
hightor

Sun 10 Jan, 2021 01:23 pm
https://i.imgur.com/LhWrNO5.jpg
izzythepush

Sun 10 Jan, 2021 01:29 pm
@Rebelofnj,
He doesn’t do explaining, that would require thinking and someone else does that for him.

Simplistic responses are all you’ve got and that’s all you’ll get.
oralloy

Sun 10 Jan, 2021 01:42 pm
@izzythepush,
Don't be so dishonorable. Blatham is the only person here who relies on other people to do his thinking for him.

I do all my own thinking. That is easily demonstrated by the fact that no one can point out any errors in my posts.

If I'd been pulling a Blatham and letting other people do my thinking for me, people would be able to find errors in my posts.
0 Replies

oralloy

Sun 10 Jan, 2021 01:47 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Rebelofnj wrote:
Explain how Godlaw's Law causes one to lose a debate, especially as you were not involved in this particular discussion.

"There are many corollaries to Godwin's law, some considered more canonical (by being adopted by Godwin himself)[3] than others.[1] For example, there is a tradition in many newsgroups and other Internet discussion forums that, when a Hitler comparison is made, the thread is finished and whoever made the comparison loses whatever debate is in progress.[8] This principle is itself frequently referred to as Godwin's law.[9]"

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law

Rebelofnj wrote:
According to Godwin himself, he approves of comparing modern day alt-right figures to the Nazis.

It's pretty funny that he lost the debate according to his own law.

Rebelofnj wrote:
He later wrote an editorial where he says "Sometimes those comparisons are going to be appropriate, and on those occasions, Godwin's Law should function less as a conversation ender and more as a conversation starter."

Certainly if one is referring to actual Nazis, Godwin's Law is not invoked. I refer to Israel's enemies as Nazis all the time without invoking Godwin's Law. But that is because these people are falsely accusing Jews of imaginary atrocities and trying to rally the world to punish them.

However, while a handful of Trump supporters may be Nazis, most are not. Therefore anyone who refers to Trump supporters as Nazis invokes Godwin's Law and loses the debate.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Sun 10 Jan, 2021 02:28 pm
@izzythepush,
I'm kind of hoping Oralloy would improve in their responses, instead of saying the same 10 or so phases, word for word, for weeks/months.

I expected more from a purported genius like Oralloy.
Builder

Sun 10 Jan, 2021 02:33 pm
Blackout at the White house, and reports of arrests at the Vatican.

Anyone got any information to share?
Rebelofnj

Sun 10 Jan, 2021 02:44 pm
@Builder,
I have nothing regarding a power outage at the White House and arrests at the Vatican.

The only news story I found is that the White House has lowered its flags to half mast.
0 Replies

lmur

Sun 10 Jan, 2021 02:46 pm
Q. How many conspiracy theorists does it take to change a lightbulb?

A. Do your own research.

-Thomas Walsh (via Twitter).
0 Replies