monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

Leadfoot

Sun 10 Jan, 2021 08:24 am
@blatham,
Nice twist!
Leadfoot

Sun 10 Jan, 2021 08:26 am
@hightor,
Hightor, I thought you understood metaphor/analogy/etc. The point had nothing to do with race.
Leadfoot

Sun 10 Jan, 2021 08:38 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
For those people who think the Twitter or Facebook bannings were illegal...

...they must also think the banning of individual posters in Internet forums is illegal also.

Why?

Now here is a truly false analogy.

We are talking about banning ANY forum that allows actual free speech.

i.e., Parler
snood

Sun 10 Jan, 2021 08:39 am
Is it a bad thing to daydream that Joe Manchin steps into an open manhole and gets swept out to sea to drown amidst detritus and sewage?
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 10 Jan, 2021 08:43 am
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
Nice twist!

Not a twist. That is precisely the point being made.
snood

Sun 10 Jan, 2021 08:54 am
I know it might only last two years, but I’ve got to admit - the prospect of having a Democratic Party-controlled government has me a little giddy.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Sun 10 Jan, 2021 09:03 am
@Leadfoot,
Why do you think incitement to murder should be protected.

How would you feel if I got hold of your personal details, posted them on a message board along with a load of disgusting lies about you and your loved ones and encouraged people to hurt you and yours in whatever way possible?

After all it’s just free speech.
Walter Hinteler

Sun 10 Jan, 2021 09:03 am
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:
We are talking about banning ANY forum that allows actual free speech.

i.e., Parler
Parler isn't banned anywhere, but Amazon will remove Parler from its cloud hosting service today, Google, on Friday, dropped Parler from the Google Play Store as did Apple with Apple Store.
blatham

Sun 10 Jan, 2021 09:08 am
From the Annals of Euphemism
Quote:
“All of the sudden protesting Congress is being called the end of the world”: How Rush Limbaugh and other talk radio hosts are downplaying the attack on the Capitol
MM
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Sun 10 Jan, 2021 09:10 am
@blatham,
Maybe your point, but it had nothing to do with mine.
Leadfoot

Sun 10 Jan, 2021 09:13 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
How would you feel if I got hold of your personal details, posted them on a message board along with a load of disgusting lies about you and your loved ones and encouraged people to hurt you and yours in whatever way possible?

There are specific laws already on the books that address those crimes.

You are advocating shooting the dog to kill the fleas.
hightor

Sun 10 Jan, 2021 09:18 am
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
Hightor, I thought you understood metaphor/analogy/etc.

I might not have been in school that day.

Quote:
The point had nothing to do with race.

I know. That's exactly why I called you out on using a racial example that really had nothing to do with the 1st Amendment issues we're discussing, but makes you sound like a concerned humanitarian. (Which I have no reason to doubt that you are.) I believe the counter-example I gave, about carrying loaded firearms on a bus, is closer to the issue of what can and can't be allowed on a public platform owned by a private company and why. Public safety is the issue, not racial discrimination.

revelette3

Sun 10 Jan, 2021 09:19 am
@Leadfoot,
Twitter apple and other such companies are private companies. They are not government companies. They are free to have their own rules and really can ban whoever they want to.
blatham

Sun 10 Jan, 2021 09:25 am
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
Maybe your point, but it had nothing to do with mine.

Which seems to be, "Any group has bad actors. Therefore there is no significant difference between any group and any other and it should never be the case that any group is singled out as being unusually dangerous to the well being of the broader community". Is that it?
snood

Sun 10 Jan, 2021 09:29 am
@blatham,
Like trying to nail down an eel with one hand behind your back, ain’t it?
0 Replies

revelette3

Sun 10 Jan, 2021 09:30 am
Quote:
Twitter Confirms It Halted 'Hang Mike Pence' as a Trending Topic

After "hang Mike Pence" began to trend on Twitter late Friday and early Saturday, the social media company squashed the trend and variations of it.

During Wednesday's riots at the Capitol in Washington, D.C., President Donald Trump's supporters who invaded the building were captured on video chanting, "Hang Mike Pence." The chant was most likely inspired by the vice president's inability to overturn the results of the election in favor of Trump over President-elect Joe Biden.

Photos from the march showed that protesters also erected a noose outside the Capitol and tied nooses out of other objects, like wires from destroyed news equipment that rioters were able to get their hands on.

In a statement received by Newsweek, a Twitter spokesperson said the company has rules about trending subjects. "We blocked the phrase and other variations of it from trending. We want trends to promote healthy discussions on Twitter. This means that at times, we may prevent certain content from trending. As per our Help Center, there are Rules for trends — if we identify accounts that violate these rules, we'll take enforcement action," the spokesperson said.

According to Twitter's Help Center, rules include preventing trends that break Twitter's rules, include profanity or adult/graphic content, or "Targets the privacy of victims of serious crimes and of minors, who are private figures." Twitter's rules prevent violent threats against individuals as well as the glorification of violence.

Journalist Yashar Ali tweeted a screenshot of the topic trending, indicating that the phrase had been tweeted over 14,000 times. Ali noted that most people were "quot[ing] some of the insurrectionists" at the Capitol, rather than making direct threats against Pence. He wrote that the phrase "shouldn't be allowed to trend."

https://www.newsweek.com/twitter-stops-hang-mike-pence-trending-1560253
0 Replies

izzythepush

Sun 10 Jan, 2021 09:31 am
@Leadfoot,
So you do think that freedom of speech should be curtailed.

You are being hysterical. We have specific laws criminalising hate speech over here. It’s a good thing, hate speech should not be afforded the protection of free speech.
Leadfoot

Sun 10 Jan, 2021 09:34 am
@hightor,
Quote:
Public safety is the issue, not racial discrimination.

No, the issue is what you/A2K perceive as public safety vs individual rights.

You want to trade individual rights for perceived safety.

You can probably guess the Ben Franklin quote going through my mind now.
Unless you missed that day in class too.
hightor

Sun 10 Jan, 2021 09:50 am
@Leadfoot,
I thought I was the oiliest one on this board but I think you've got me beat. I'm not arguing for public safety over individual rights, just pointing out the reasons we have certain laws on the books. Like stopping at red lights and stuff. The threats to public safety have changed a lot since Franklin's day. Asking that people refrain from certain types of dangerous public behavior is hardly trading freedom for security.
Leadfoot

Sun 10 Jan, 2021 09:51 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
We have specific laws criminalising hate speech over here.

Oh yeah.. Well WE have special CRIMES where we tack on more years to your sentence if you were having hateful thoughts while doing them. That’s how much WE hate hate!
0 Replies