monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

vikorr

Fri 8 Jan, 2021 04:07 am
@Leadfoot,
That's because in the latest phase of the internet connected world, it's so difficult to tell what is true and what is not that it has become easier and easier to fool people - with messages that resonates with fears being particularly virulent.

These days I prefer to rely on the the character of the person I see, while verifying what I can, and still keeping an open mind to motivations, and an open mind to alternative sources. Then I wait for patterns to arise to help inform me. It's certainly not foolproof by any means, but it is way better than the alternative - believing things that a person of dubious character but great ambition tells you (or the alternate to that - just believing things a person driven by ideology tells you)
Leadfoot

Fri 8 Jan, 2021 04:07 am
Seems we got a lot of people debating UFO nuts and other miscellaneous charlatans.

Mission accomplished comrades!
0 Replies

snood

Fri 8 Jan, 2021 04:08 am
This is what I mean when I say MAGATS threaten our very perception of reality itself with all their denial and lies .

Oralloy looks at the Wednesday riot, with the screaming mob breaking through barricades, doors and windows, wielding weapons, striking police officers injuring dozens and killing one, vandalizing property and driving Congress into hiding...

And he calls it a peaceful protest.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Fri 8 Jan, 2021 04:16 am
@vikorr,
Quote:
That's because in the latest phase of the internet connected world, it's so difficult to tell what is true and what is not that it has become easier and easier to fool people - with messages that resonates with fears being particularly virulent.
You are obviously right about this being true about the American public. It just leaves me so disappointed. But I don’t have any unique powers of observation and it does not seem that hard to figure out what is true and what isn’t if you look at things objectively instead of being a 'team player'.
Region Philbis

Fri 8 Jan, 2021 04:22 am

DeVos submits resignation
(cnn)
0 Replies

Wilso

Fri 8 Jan, 2021 04:47 am
I can’t today. I’m busy watching the final season of The United States
Frank Apisa

Fri 8 Jan, 2021 05:38 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

A few facts for the really slow learners out there.

David Icke is not the son of God.
The Queen is not a shape shifting lizard.
Jews do not control the World or the Saudi Royal family and had nothing to do with 9/11.
The moon landings happened.

Yeah, yeah, yeah.

What lie are you going to try next, Izzy, saying that the Earth is not flat when it obviously is?

Jeez!

snood

Fri 8 Jan, 2021 05:47 am
@Wilso,
Wilso wrote:

I can’t today. I’m busy watching the final season of The United States

I heard they’re renewing the series with a new producer and director.
izzythepush

Fri 8 Jan, 2021 05:53 am
@Frank Apisa,
That’s what the Kid says.

The existential problem facing Builder is that flat earthers don’t believe Australia exists.

That’s probably why he’s gone quiet.
0 Replies

hightor

Fri 8 Jan, 2021 05:58 am
@Wilso,
There are some good re-runs but this past season has been hard to watch. The previews look better though.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Fri 8 Jan, 2021 06:15 am
Trump video incites anger among acolytes let down by lack of support
Quote:
Donald Trump’s belated and vague “concession” to a peaceful and orderly transition of power after the storming of the US Capitol has provoked anger and conspiracy theories among some of his most ardent followers.

For some of those who flocked to social media channels and chatrooms like Parler and 4chan, where far-right Trumpists have gravitated, as other social media sites have increasingly shut out Trump, some were complaining of betrayal.

Trump, claiming he was “outraged by the violence, lawlessness and mayhem” of the Capitol siege that he incited, said those who “broke the law will pay” in a move perhaps designed more to protect himself from mounting legal and political hazard than reflecting a newfound sense of contrition and integrity.

This promoted an outpouring of anger and grief and denial from his hardline acolytes. “A punch in the gut,” said one. “A stab in the back” another railed. From a third: “I feel like puking.”

A widely shared screengrab summed up the sentiment of this group. “He says it’s going to be wild and when it gets wild he calls it a heinous attack and middle-fingers to his supporters he told to be there.”

Others turned to conspiracy theories, not least in the dark corners of the online world of 4chan and Parler, where the cult of QAnon holds sway. Many in these places saw not a Trump concession forced on him by his dangerous and insurrectionary behaviour, but either a “deep fake” video concocted by Trump’s enemies, or they scoured for evidence of secret messages that indicated Trump was still on track to deliver on QAnon’s deranged promises.

“FAK fake fake He’s been locked out of his Twitter he can’t get into it he couldn’t get into it he couldn’t get into today it’s been closed out for ever,” opined someone called Magafree, while Brenda amplified the theory. “He has a plan here President Trump would not back down that easily. We need to stand strong, keep watch and pray. Something big is coming and Gid [God] is going to see it through.”

But the reactions of the more mainstream parts of the Trump-era echo chamber have been the most instructive. Sites such as Breitbart and the Daily Caller appear to have swung into line behind an emerging Republican consensus that has become increasingly hostile to Trump, blaming him not only for the storming of Congress, but also for delivering the presidency, the House of Representatives, and, on Tuesday, the Senate to the Democrats.
[...]
For the bitter-enders, like TrumpSupporterLTD, the sentiments were much like the QAnon crowd over on 4chan – an almost metaphysical belief that Trump, despite the wealth of evidence, continues to move in mysterious ways

“Trump did not concede. He used language to buy a little extra time because the senators and congressmen who support him are being threatened with dirty bombs and their families’ lives by the Deep State and/or communist Chinese … I have it on good grounds that Trump will be moving with the military And regarding the transition to a new administration, means Trump with a new VP Pence is obviously a traitor and is ‘fired’.”
vikorr

Fri 8 Jan, 2021 06:33 am
@Leadfoot,
Genetically, we as humans tend to seek certainty, as certainty (or believing you are certain) lends itself to survival - as certainty leads to quicker decision making, which leads to greater survival chances, which leads to the need passing down into our genes. This sort of thing has been studied in various different ways, for example, how the brain filters out things that disagree with our views while highlighting things that agree with our view, thereby reinforcing our views (regardless of the reality of the situation).

Quite possibly due to the ever increasing complexity of information out there - people are aligning themselves more and more strongly with the ideologies, political parties etc. in order to help them make sense of an ever more incomprehensible the world.

My way of dealing with this genetic 'certainty' need, is to continuing to look internally for principles, and keep testing and refining them, and using them to provide 'certainty'...not of ideas (which can have many valid and invalid aspects), but of, generally, how I should discern things, where I should go with something, what I should do etc etc. Not everyone is made this way though.
snood

Fri 8 Jan, 2021 06:47 am
An illustration of the depth of the sickness of MAGATS.

Pro Trump rioters defacated in the hallways and smeared feces on the walls
Region Philbis

Fri 8 Jan, 2021 06:52 am
@Walter Hinteler,

that video was the naughty school kid forced to write "i will not pass notes in class" 500 times on the blackboard...
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Fri 8 Jan, 2021 07:06 am
Sen. Josh Hawley's book has been cancelled by the publisher citing 'deadly insurrection' at Capitol building.

https://i.imgur.com/CJg8yZL.jpg
Region Philbis

Fri 8 Jan, 2021 07:24 am

Colbert's monologue, 1/6/21

"violence is the last refuge of the incompetent"

0 Replies

snood

Fri 8 Jan, 2021 07:42 am
Where is all the “Blue Lives Matter” outrage!? A policeman was beaten to death with a fire extinguisher!

I seem to remember someone on this forum talking a LOT about police being murdered.

Where is all that righteous energy now?

Leadfoot

Fri 8 Jan, 2021 07:57 am
@vikorr,
Quote:
Not everyone is made this way though.

So How do you deal with it?

It’s like waking up on an alien planet, only it’s you who are the alien. But when you say that as fact, it’s like smoking gun evidence that you are insane by the standards of everyone else on the planet. It can get pretty lonely. The temptation to pretend to be 'normal' and join one gang or another must be very strong. Seems like once you join there is no going back. The reward must be worth the cognitive dissonance but I can’t make myself go there.

Well, my hour is up, thanks for listening Doc.

0 Replies

blatham

Fri 8 Jan, 2021 08:06 am
Quote:
Laura Ingraham: Joe Biden and Kamala Harris “poured kerosene on the fire today with their comments”
01/07/21 10:54 PM EST

Laura Ingraham warns response to pro-Trump insurrection will be “freedom crushing”
01/07/21 10:24 PM EST

Fox guest claims Black Lives Matter protesters would've been treated better than Trump insurrectionists by police
01/07/21 10:18 PM EST

Tucker Carlson defends pro-Trump insurrectionists from “domestic terrorism” label
01/07/21 8:41 PM EST

Fox's Bret Baier compares Trump's incitement of insurrection to Democrats’ rhetoric on Russia
01/07/21 7:36 PM EST

Newsmax host: “Donald Trump should not concede because he didn’t lose”
01/07/21 7:27 PM EST

Lou Dobbs: “America is so sick of looking at the Republican Party and seeing a bunch of milquetoast pacifists”
01/07/21 5:54 PM EST

Fox's Katie Pavlich dismisses claims police treat BLM protesters differently than Trump insurrectionists: “I don't even know what that means”
01/07/21 5:51 PM EST

Lou Dobbs: “There is no proof, but there are possibilities” that left-wing agitators were responsible for storming Capitol
01/07/21 5:41 PM EST

Laura Ingraham is the Nurse Ratched of political commentary.
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 8 Jan, 2021 08:09 am
@snood,
Quote:
Where is all the “Blue Lives Matter” outrage!? A policeman was beaten to death with a fire extinguisher!

I seem to remember someone on this forum talking a LOT about police being murdered.

Where is all that righteous energy now?

One might conclude that modern right wing ideology is dishonest, inconsistent and incoherent. And that modern right wing media is now fully a propaganda operation.