monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

layman

Wed 22 Feb, 2017 07:37 am
These cheese-eatin protesters/rioters think they are whipping the left into a frenzy of commitment, but they're only helping the republicans.

Typical of a chump to think he's winning when he's losing BIGTIME, eh?

Quote:
Republican dominance over federal offices has been very good for RNC fundraising: the party announced yesterday it raised $19.8 million in January, its best post-election January ever.

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/tuesdays-campaign-round-22117
0 Replies

Olivier5

Wed 22 Feb, 2017 07:46 am
@blatham,
Sounds like Paretto's advices to the Duce.
layman

Wed 22 Feb, 2017 07:51 am
Quote:
California police chief rips sentencing overhaul after officer's killing

We need to wake up. Enough is enough," Whittier police Chief Jeff Piper told a news conference. "You're passing these propositions; you're creating these laws that are raising crimes."

Michael Christopher Mejia, 26, was arrested Monday after Whittier police Officer Keith Boyer was fatally shot and Officer Patrick Hazell was wounded as they responded to the site of a traffic accident

Investigators say Mejia, a gang member whose face is covered in tattoos, killed his cousin, Roy Torres, 46, earlier Monday in East Los Angeles before stealing Torres' car. Mejia was driving through Whittier when he rear-ended another vehicle.

Mejia was sentenced to four years in prison in 2010 on a felony robbery charge as a member of a street gang and was paroled in 2014, according to Jeffrey Callison, a spokesman for the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation.

While on parole, Mejia was arrested again on grand theft and vehicle theft charges and sentenced to an additional two years in prison, Callison said.

Authorities said Mejia had been released from Pelican State Prison in April and placed on probation under a reform measure known as Assembly Bill (AB) 109...

Mejia had been arrested five times since April for violating his probation, most recently on Feb. 2, Los Angeles County sheriff's Lt. John Corina said.

Mejia's latest arrest was for "not cooperating with the search and seizure clause of his probation," sheriff's spokeswoman Nicole Nishida said. He was released on Feb. 11.

State law allowed him to be held for only 10 days after each of those five arrests, Corina said.

Piper and McDonnell also criticized Proposition 57, a reform measure that allows non-violent felons who normally wouldn't be eligible for parole to be considered for early release. California Gov. Jerry Brown campaigned strongly for the ballot measure, unveiling a website and creating radio ads for the initiative that he said could help offenders change their lives.

When Moonbeam Brown is FOR something pertaining to the criminal law, then you know ya gotta be against it, eh?

https://tribktla.files.wordpress.com/2017/02/mm.jpg?quality=85&strip=all&w=248&strip=all

Looks like just the kinda guy that ya wanna make sure gets back out on the streets again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and.....
hightor

Wed 22 Feb, 2017 08:07 am
@McGentrix,
Quote:
They obviously didn't have the internet in mind so the govt should obviously be able to curtail both freedom of speech and press on thevinternet, right?

I suppose someone could try to make that argument but it would be hard to see why the profusion of free speech and free press over the web would change the underlying purpose of the 1st Amendment. More words moving around faster and distributed more widely — it's still just words and ideas (and money, thanks to Citizens United). It would be difficult to argue that the founders only intended a certain quantity of free speech; it doesn't make sense.

Whatever the merits of 2nd Amendment at the time it was written — oralloy will be sure to correct me — I believe it was the first time that the armed citizen militia was recognized in a written constitution and it reflected the hope that the new country could avoid having to man and maintain a standing army.
Quote:
Generally, where modern constitutions refer to arms at all, the purpose is "to allow the government to regulate their use or to compel military service, not to provide a right to bear them".[2] Constitutions which historically guaranteed a right to bear arms are those of Bolivia, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Honduras, Liberia, Mexico, Nicaragua and the United States of America.[4] Nearly all of Latin American examples were modeled on that of the United States.[3] At present, out of the world’s nearly 200 constitutions, three still include a right to bear arms: Guatemala, Mexico, and the United States; of these three, only the last does not include explicit restrictive conditions.[2

wiki

Given the wording of the amendment I find it difficult to believe that the founders had in mind a citizenry armed with the latest military firearms holed up in their homes waiting for some hapless intruder to open the door. I know, you'll ask who made me a constitutional authority. So I'll let Justice Stevens make the point:
Quote:
The Second Amendment was adopted to protect the right of the people of each of the several States to maintain a well-regulated militia. It was a response to concerns raised during the ratification of the Constitution that the power of Congress to disarm the state militias and create a national standing army posed an intolerable threat to the sovereignty of the several States. Neither the text of the Amendment nor the arguments advanced by its proponents evidenced the slightest interest in limiting any legislature’s authority to regulate private civilian uses of firearms. Specifically, there is no indication that the Framers of the Amendment intended to enshrine the common-law right of self-defense in the Constitution.

wiki
This was from the Heller decision, you knew that, and we also know that Stevens was in the minority. But when a decision like this is decided in a 5-4 vote in a highly politicized atmosphere, it gives one reason to believe that the decision could be overturned in the future by a 5-4 (or greater) majority. It could happen.
The dissenters in Heller were not radicals or authoritarians bent on suppressing freedom. They just held a different interpretation which had been in the judicial mainstream for years.
Quote:
When we no longer need people to keep muskets in their home, then the Second Amendment has no function ... If the Court had properly interpreted the Second Amendment, the Court would have said that amendment was very important when the nation was new; it gave a qualified right to keep and bear arms, but it was for one purpose only—and that was the purpose of having militiamen who were able to fight to preserve the nation.[219]

- Justice Ginsburg op cit

And even under the currently recognized right as an issue of "self-defense" it's hard to see why some 75 year old grandmother in a crack-infested housing project needs an AK 47 and a banana clip or a 50 caliber sniper rifle. Just sayin', you know?

layman

Wed 22 Feb, 2017 08:08 am
@layman,
You can bet that after committing all those crimes and THEN, killing his cousin, a cop, wounding another cop, and running into some hapless motorist, he will now get HARD time under California law, eh?

Like 3 years WITHOUT PAROLE!!!!
0 Replies

hightor

Wed 22 Feb, 2017 08:09 am
@blatham,
Quote:
Which is why I'm now offering to American consumers a pocket-sized nuclear device, the iNuke.

Damn, wish I'd seen that before I posted my diatribe!
blatham

Wed 22 Feb, 2017 08:12 am
Thinking about Yiannopoulos' unjust travails (you can read Ann Coulter's twitter feed for an explication of this disgraceful bit of modern so-called "conservative" history) I was reminded of NRO's Geraghty's thoughts on political correctness - that over-sensitivity to words or phrases or ideas or illustrations which result in silly and pathetically excited demands made by some offended group that, because they are offended, immediately entails the need to criminalize or censor such a thing said or seen. It's the "snowflake" response. "I am/we are so fragile we can't take it". You know what I'm talking about. It's a phenomenon of the left. As Jim says...
Quote:
"There is no right-wing equivalent to political correctness."

I'd read that some time ago and decided to run some experiments to see if Jim had this right. To my great surprise, he was right on the money. Here's what happened:

One Sunday morning down in Lubbock, Texas, I sat down in a pew of an evangelical congregation wearing a shirt with a bold illustration of christ on the cross, naked other than for a cock ring. And sure enough, the congregants welcomed me as a brother. Lots of light-hearted chuckles and even an invitation to join the Lubbock Ladies Auxilliary ("free oatmeal cookies after service!" I was promised and they were delicious).

After the service and the cookies downstairs and a free-wheeling, thoughtful and open-minded conversation on whether we might presume that Jesus and Mohammad, at age thirteen, touched themselves - you know - down there, we all filtered out to the parking lot. We noticed that one younger couple had started their pickup truck and a lot of smoke was emerging from the hood. I guess he was a vet as there were a lot of decals and bumper stickers suggesting this. I asked him to pop the bonnet and sure enough there was just a lot of oil on the block so I got him to turn it off and asked if he had any rags. He didn't. I ripped one of the flags he had flying and began wiping up the oil. "Damn. Why didn't I think of that", he said, with amazement and gratitude. We got it all cleaned off and the congregants still gathered around, gave me a cheer for helping out.
0 Replies

layman

Wed 22 Feb, 2017 08:15 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

And even under the currently recognized right as an issue of "self-defense" it's hard to see why some 75 year old grandmother in a crack-infested housing project needs an AK 47 and a banana clip or a 50 caliber sniper rifle. Just sayin', you know?

Hard to see!? Ya blind? Those crack-addicted gangstaz will bum-rush an old lady en masse every chance they get, aincha heard?
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 22 Feb, 2017 08:20 am
@Olivier5,
Now you go and get all educated on me. But one simply cannot make sense of conservatism without grasping how it has always served the interests of those advantaged by extant conditions - those who are in power and who act to curtail any threats to their delightful situation.
blatham

Wed 22 Feb, 2017 08:21 am
@hightor,
It's fine. You give great diatribe.
0 Replies

layman

Wed 22 Feb, 2017 08:25 am
Well, the cheese-eaters realize what they're doing aint workin, so they've amped up the rhetoric yet another notch.

First Trump was "reminiscent of Hitler."

Then he was "almost as bad as Hitler."

Then he was "JUST AS BAD, as Hitler.

Still not enough, so now he's WORSE THAN Hitler," eh?

Quote:
Tucker Carlson faced off tonight with a protest organizer who's trying to drive President Donald Trump and Vice President Mike Pence from power.

Sunsara Taylor, with "Refuse Fascism," said that Trump and Pence are operating out of "Hitler's playbook" and her group is refusing to accept a "fascist America."

"This is a danger to humanity. And yes, it's in its early stages, but people need to rise up and stop it before it is too late," Taylor said.

"He is more dangerous than Hitler ever could have been," she said. "I'm calling for mass political protest and resistance."

As a result of this danger to the entire planet, she calling for " mass political protest," see?

Yeah, that should do the trick, sho nuff. Why didn't the Germans think of that, I wonder?
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 22 Feb, 2017 08:29 am
Quote:
BLACKSTONE, Va. — Rep. Dave Brat (R-Va.), who drew national notice after complaining that women were “in my grill” because he was reluctant to hold a town hall meeting, finally relented and came face to face with those women — and plenty others — at a raucous public event Tuesday night.
WP
Brat is, of course, the Tea Party extremist who took down Cantor (which frankly didn't bother me except for how nuts the replacement is). No small irony that a Tea Party dude gets the Tea Party townhall treatment and now complains about civility.
0 Replies

layman

Wed 22 Feb, 2017 08:31 am
"He is more dangerous than Hitler ever could have been," she said."

Now, I ax ya, is that about the cheese-eatiniest thing ya ever done heard, or what?

Keep on truckin, cheese-eaters. You're causing tons of money to pour into republican campaign coffers.
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 22 Feb, 2017 08:37 am
It's so cute to have a little invisible puppy following me around. I can't see him, because he's invisible, but I bet he looks just like one of those delightful animated characters from Roger Rabbit. Big floppy ears, round bloodshot eyes, head tilted oddly.

Thanks for tagging along, little buddy.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Wed 22 Feb, 2017 08:38 am
@blatham,
Oops, it was Pareto with one t. A genius, really, still known for loads of economic tools or ideas. He changed the field of economics forever.

But he concluded that the economic inequalities he so briliantly studied were natural and desirable as they reflected a form of darwinism within society. Mussolini was a big fan of his ideas and to be fair, he managed to pump some life in the Italian industry by implementing Pareto's approach, breaking down labor unions etc.

Similarly, decades later Thatcher's reforms did some degree of good to the UK economy, so there is something to be said for "neo-liberalism". Capitalism IS a darwinian system after all. Competition is its engine. While one can and should defang it a bit via regulation and social safety nets, the more you do so, the more sluggish the economy will become.
blatham

Wed 22 Feb, 2017 08:39 am
Quote:
President Donald Trump on Tuesday evening downplayed the large crowds that have been showing up to Republican lawmakers' town halls, saying that the constituents are often just "liberal activists."

Donald J. Trump ✔ @realDonaldTrump
The so-called angry crowds in home districts of some Republicans are actually, in numerous cases, planned out by liberal activists. Sad!
3:23 PM - 21 Feb 2017
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/trump-town-hall-crowds

You can sort of understand Trump's frustration. Those crowds are approaching the size of the crowd that attended his inauguration.
0 Replies

layman

Wed 22 Feb, 2017 08:42 am
Maxine Waters is leading the charge, eh? Scumbags, the lot of them, sho nuff.

Quote:
A bunch of scumbags’: Rep. Maxine Waters attacks President Trump and his ‘Kremlin Klan'

This happened Tuesday night on MSNBC’s “All in with Chris Hayes”:

http://megynkelly.org/260083/a-bunch-of-scumbags-rep-maxine-waters-attacks-president-trump-and-his-kremlin-klan/
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 22 Feb, 2017 08:45 am
@Olivier5,
Yup. It would be foolish to deny that we human animals manifest this stuff. But the only humans who think it a grand thing are the ones who win within the existing system (along with those who imagine they can join the winner crowd).

Here's a fun Thatcher anecdote. Some British wit at the time remarked, "Thatcher cannot see an institution without wanting to hit it with her purse".
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 22 Feb, 2017 08:48 am
Gotta run but Howard Dean is supporting Pete Buttigieg for DNC chair. He's a guy to watch. His name is pronounced Butt edge edge.
0 Replies

layman

Wed 22 Feb, 2017 08:54 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Capitalism IS a darwinian system after all. Competition is its engine. While one can and should defang it a bit via regulation and social safety nets, the more you do so, the more sluggish the economy will become.

Exactly, Ollie. As a wise man once said:

Quote:
“Life is nothing but a competition to be the criminal rather than the victim.” (Bertrand Russell)

If it were up to sheep, wolves would never eat.

But it aint up to sheep, eh?
0 Replies